IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

31 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

What other Championship club with Premier League aspirations would pick an inexperienced Assistant over Hughton. Well Bournemouth despite parachute payments have just done the same. Anyone know if the protesters are getting the bedsheets out down there or is it just us ? Wake up to the new reality in Football !

The difference, which you are well aware of, is the expectations being raised here, sounding out high profile managers and taking 5 weeks to make the appointment. 

Just now, redpole said:

So Maybe the reason Holden is thinking about it over the weekend, is the fact he wanted to be Manager/head coach with an assistant and coach and now city have said to him that he will be head coach with city appointing a European DOF???

What - like Ward and Benny ?

That went well..

We're all guessing, but I think you are probably right with the DOF role.

Then again, I was convinced Hughton would get the job..

1 minute ago, redpole said:

So Maybe the reason Holden is thinking about it over the weekend, is the fact he wanted to be Manager/head coach with an assistant and coach and now city have said to him that he will be head coach with city appointing a European DOF???

That's what I think and was told Friday, that's why Jamie left as he didn't fancy being part of it? 

4 minutes ago, redpole said:

It’s a good opportunity for Holden if so. Someone to help out and take a bit of the pressure off. Sending Holden out to face the music alone seems naive and self destructive.

I’m warming to the DoF idea provided it’s someone of excellent calibre and experience. 

I also wonder whether it’s a bit easier to appoint a DoF in a way that utilises some clever accounting (as a consultant or similar) so it doesn’t have as much FFP impact.

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a good opportunity for Holden if so. Someone to help out and take a bit of the pressure off. Sending Holden out to face the music alone seems naive and self destructive.

I’m warming to the DoF idea provided it’s someone of excellent calibre and experience. 

I also wonder whether it’s a bit easier to appoint a DoF in a way that utilises some clever accounting (as a consultant or similar) so it doesn’t have as much FFP impact.

The fact that it being reported that there could be another name from Europe on the cards for the managers role, maybe we were way off the mark and the fact was that we were looking for a head coach and a director of football?? Chris Hughton didn’t want to work alongside a DOF and that’s why talks broke down and now we have a DOF in place but not announced yet, we are trying to get a head coach and Dean Holden fits the bill????  

33 minutes ago, Bazooka Joe said:

Why do you say people simply have to accept this?

Don't they have a right, and more importantly, a duty to challenge things they consider to be wrong and detrimental to their club?

If they are passive and compliant, those in control will become even more powerful, and do whatever they want, whenever they want.

If they can make themselves heard, and make the decison-makers aware of their anger and dissaproval, there is always a chance that things will change.

We are simply customers of Bristol City Fc or Bristol Sport in terms of importance we’re as important as Tesco customers with a club card. The club will simply take no interest in your views or mine. The other time they will is when there is a financial impact which hits their balance sheet 

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

Have a look at some of their forums if you think the fans there are delighted at that news. (spoiler alert: they aren't)

Nonetheless, Tindall comes with one advantage that Holden doesn't. He played for the club and has been there for years, so has a big portion of goodwill among supporters. He also had been an AM for 5 seasons in the Premier League.

Exactly, he was part of a largely successful team.

Also, haven't Bournemouth been living well beyond their means? Didn't they get in trouble breaching FFP already?

Just now, Atticus said:

Exactly, he was part of a largely successful team.

Also, haven't Bournemouth been living well beyond their means? Didn't they get in trouble breaching FFP already?

With a bunch of uninspiring players on big wages they are likely to have to make much deeper cuts to budget than we will. Even with the parachute payments.

32 minutes ago, redpole said:

The fact that it being reported that there could be another name from Europe on the cards for the managers role, maybe we were way off the mark and the fact was that we were looking for a head coach and a director of football?? Chris Hughton didn’t want to work alongside a DOF and that’s why talks broke down and now we have a DOF in place but not announced yet, we are trying to get a head coach and Dean Holden fits the bill????  

Has it actually been said that this DoF is from Europe, or just guesswork?

41 minutes ago, redpole said:

40 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

That's what I think and was told Friday, that's why Jamie left as he didn't fancy being part of it? 

If JM had it explained and didn't want to stay, surely he would have come to some agreement to leave by 'mutual consent' rather than being sacked? Doesn't sound great on your cv if you've been sacked - according to GMcG. 

13 hours ago, Atticus said:

Im not sure i want an egotistical maniac as an owner tbh.

I cannot trust Lansdown any longer.

I dont feel like he has the best interests of the club at heart. Despite his financial security. There are to many bizarre decisions for me to know that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

He should NOT be above criticism. Yes we can be alot worse off of course. We can be better off. Any moron with half a brain cell can see Holden is the wrong choice for one. 

I could be wrong. I doubt I am at this point though. Holden could have short term success. Again, i dont think so. But long term, we aint going nowhere under Lansdown. Good or bad. Id rather have somebody that wasnt so ego driven leading us. 

Think that description a bit harsh but see where you're going with it.

Each to their own.

I dunno- would he sell us down the river? Would he whack a great rent on AG and other assets- well time will tell but there are plenty of owners in his position who might! Off the pitch certainly don't think he would.

On the pitch, certainly not a fan of Holden's appointment. Never said he should be beyond criticism, nor do I think he should.

Holden isn't a good choice, 100% agree. Leadership of the club? I'm just trying to think of some good comparables at our level who are markedly superior to SL- there aren't many that I can see!

I'm not at the SL out stage, but Holden would be a terrible appointment.

8 hours ago, RedM said:

I’m pretty certain it was Moyes or Pulis and the board were split and SL had the deciding vote. I think I’ve tried to blank out the detail as I’m still upset about that bad call ?

Yes Pulis was on paper at the time desirable, but as I’ve just written elsewhere you got to look someone in the eyes and see what the candidate is made of. But I do admit that Pulis has managed to talk his way into being almost constantly employed and seems to mostly come out smelling of roses by sueing people

Fair.

I'm no fan of Pulis btw, but he has had a reasonable successful career albeit ultimately less so than Moyes- Peter Taylor was possibly another year?

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Open your eyes for god sake. Listen to lansdowns interview on talkSPORT . He said . We want premier league football ASAP . Lee was sacked because he didn’t get us in the play offs . Wants a manager to take us to the next level. 
This was all in the middle of the pandemic and being a billionaire financial expert he would of known full well the costs incurred well before making these statements .get your head out of your ass 

Did Mark Ashton not state in April that we were/football was heading for a season of austerity?

Mixed messaging by the club- again!

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I'm hoping this is the biggest subversion in our history. Monday Hughton announced as manager with a director of football, Holden is chief first team coach and all the while showing off the best kit this century. ?

I think this could be near the truth. I see a reshaping of BCFC from how we recently have been operating. I thought it might be Big Sam as I think he was at Bolton when Holden there, might be wrong, but I think now it's more likely that CH will be DOF, concentrating on the team and assisting DH as Head Coach, with MA running the day to day transfers, etc. Like Monsieur Poirot, my little grey cells have been working overtime. We shall soon know.

2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I'm hoping this is the biggest subversion in our history. Monday Hughton announced as manager with a director of football, Holden is chief first team coach and all the while showing off the best kit this century. ?

I've heard we are going to use the 125th Anniversary shirts for the whole of next season

55 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

I think this could be near the truth. I see a reshaping of BCFC from how we recently have been operating. I thought it might be Big Sam as I think he was at Bolton when Holden there, might be wrong, but I think now it's more likely that CH will be DOF, concentrating on the team and assisting DH as Head Coach, with MA running the day to day transfers, etc. Like Monsieur Poirot, my little grey cells have been working overtime. We shall soon know.

Yes he was. Initially managed by Colin Todd before Allardyce came in.

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies if this has already been posted - someone has been mischievous on Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Holden

Dean Thomas John Holden (born 15 September 1979) is an English former footballer who is currently the head coach that no one wanted at Bristol City after his name came out the Clubs Tombola filled with the cheapest options. ?

Archived