IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really really hope Dean proves me wrong because he genuinely sounds like a great guy. I’ve got no doubt he’ll do everything he can to make this a success. 

I just have a nagging feeling it’s going to go badly wrong..

Couldn't agree more. Dean Holden comes across as a top bloke - I've met him twice, but both times he was willing to speak candidly with me, and clearly backs himself. I'd love for him to be a huge success at City, and I'd genuinely feel bad if it went horribly wrong in the next six months for him. 

13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's smart. 

I wish him all the best, not least as a successful City is what we all want, but I wonder if we are looking to give Holden the job as a safe pair of hands and then go for a bigger name in summer 2021?

Too optimistic a take?

I think they are maybe waiting for Eddie Howe now

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Makes two of us, none of this makes any sense if we want manager to take us forward- am just thinking of any number of names who are more credible. 

Hoping there's some kind of masterplan however.

I think 14 players only in contract next summer. Holden keeps us steady, finances of football start to rebuild over next 12 months. 

This would give a new manager a relatively blank canvas to work with and I mean a more experienced, strong candidate.

Lots of wages off the books, one or two maybe sold this year and some maybe renewed but a fairly clean slate!

The contract length just makes it more confusing to me . It’s like they are expecting him to fail . As for players and contracts that is just part and parcel of football that every club face . I really hope he does well but if he doesn’t they go through it all again.

Strange times 

20 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

A whole host of players liking the club's post resgarding the appointment. It's time for those players to pull their fingers out of their backsides and perform how they should be able to. 

Never forget that the players chose 7 Nation Army. 

Well what a joke another sell out , cheap option again , why not have kept Johnson he did know how to keep is mid - table ,we don’t want to go any where humm may down with the gas , fans choice ignored again , Cheers Landsdowne and Ashton par of money grabbing *****.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fans didn't want Cotts or LJ either...

They did want SOD

If the club went with what fans want then that would be a pretty shocking way to run the club

More a question of the club saying one thing and doing another in this case I think. Tell the truth in the first place and the response is less likely to be angry.

58 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Ashton's expectations of Holden - in interview with Geoff  - expecting to be challenging for promotion - but if not that does't mean he'll be sacked. 

"there is no target for his job.'

Read into that what you will...

I found that almost unbelievable. ‘’No target on his job’’ yeah of course there isn’t Ashton.. why only give the man a 12 month rolling contract then. Do you think we are stupid? 

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Lansdown was telling the truth in his intentions, as otherwise he would not have said it.

The 5 weeks suggests to me that it wasn't a simple process for whatever reason.

I would have thought someone of Steve's experience would be aware of the old rule: under promise and over deliver.

He raised expectations instead of managing them. Bad move.

13 minutes ago, bris red said:

I found that almost unbelievable. ‘’No target on his job’’ yeah of course there isn’t Ashton.. why only give the man a 12 month rolling contract then. Do you think we are stupid? 

I think they possibly do...which given that some of the most intelligent, highly qualified and professionally and financially successful people I know are City fans...is a shame!

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Not sure if this the right thread and not read some of the recent posts so sorry if covered already but fair play to whoever wrote the Supporters’ Trust Statement. Really well worded, diplomatic but to the point and certainly reflects whet I feel.

? Same here

DH knows he wasn't the popular choice (understatement I know!) but appears to have a strong amount of goodwill behind him in the "Deano is a top bloke" kind of way.  I'd echo those sentiments...he comes across as an honest straightforward guy.  It's also clear that the current discontent isn't aimed at him directly, he's merely a byproduct of it which will work in his favour (or at least not against him) in the very short term.  He also must know that he's unlikely to get many (any?) more chances like this so he has to be pretty determined to go play the kind of attacking football which will placate some and change the minds of others.  Especially as he may only have a short window in which to try and make his mark. 

Totally respect those who have declared that they intend to walk away etc. I totally get it.  I'm also certainly not endorsing the decision but I am intrigued to see what an honest guy with a massive point to prove who's clearly gonna bust his balls to make it a success will do.  He may fail, whatever that means, but I'll be amazed if it isn't a less turgid brand of football than LJ finished with and if it does fail it won't be for the lack of effort from DH.  I'm confident of that much. 

I can't ever remember being less excited about a managerial appointment (well, maybe apart from chip shop owner Tony Fawthrop) and more pessimistic about City's chances in the season to come.

Fits perfectly with 2020 I suppose.

A shocker of a year, and a shocker of a balls-up by the club.

2 hours ago, !james said:

Ashton confirmed Holden signed off Korey Smith being released

To be honest Jim, I dont have a problem with this. A decision on Korey had to be made. He made it. He has to stand by it. 

This is one that will make or break you as a manager. Personally I think it's a mistake to get rid of him. Korey is exactly the type of player he will need to rely on. 

I hear Walsh, Morrell and Massengo as being the next step. I don't think they are ready. There is only 1 manager in the championship that would consider that partnership to be battle hardened and ready for 40 odd games and that's DH. Probably that opinion has been given to him from MA. 

Hence why he has been hired. Too a man there wouldn't be any other manager that would be willing to build a team round the

Hope you are well mate. 

Stevo

46 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Can we not call him ‘Deano’? Far too pally and unprofessional. The sort of over-familiarity and friendliness I’m worried will rub off on players.

Despite him having been on the bench for 4 years he's been such an anonymous figure its never occurred to me to call him anything!

Deano is naff though.

6 hours ago, Red white and red said:

Impressed with his 5 games in charge? We beat 2 shite teams in Hull and Middlesbrough, got dominated by stoke, never looked like doing anything against Swansea and the Preston game was a typical, mid-table, dour, end of season affair.

What impressed you?

just admit you’re on the wind up! 

⬇️⬇️⬇️

6 hours ago, SDBS36 said:

Lansdown wanted a fresh face with fresh ideals to take on to the next step of the promised land

Think he's failed in my opinion, think we all knew it would be the easy option of appointing Dean, waste of time sacking Lee, truly hope I,m wrong but think it's going to be a struggle and I now lost my love of the club and will not be renewing my season tickets

People saying they were impressed with his 5 games in charge, beat 2 relegation contenders, drew 1 and lost 2, not that impressive

Feel free to slate me but am very down knowing we could have had a manager like CH or even PC and have ended up with DH, just feels like the club has no ambition and we have been ripped off again

I was.  Wasn’t perfect.  I’ve posted lots on here why.  Happy for you to disagree.

Was actually 5 games, 2 wins, 2 draws and one defeat.  I really get frustrated by “beat relegation candidates”.  Those teams were scrapping for their lives....the teams that usually beat us....one of them a Warnock team, he will have ingrained it into his Boro team how important it was to beat that “cheating Bristol club”.  Never take for granted any point (or three) earned in the Championship.

A draw against Stoke, who then went on to beat Brentford and stuff Forest.  It looked a tired performance from both sides, but we weren’t dominated, we have 64% possession, we made 550 passes  at 83% success, followed by 513 versus Swansea at 85%.  Our average for the season was 362 at 78% under LJ.  Only once this season did an LJ team manage 500+ passes.

I admit we weren’t clinical with our final ball,but that can be worked on.

6 hours ago, ZiderEyed said:

Couldn't agree more. Dean Holden comes across as a top bloke - I've met him twice, but both times he was willing to speak candidly with me, and clearly backs himself. I'd love for him to be a huge success at City, and I'd genuinely feel bad if it went horribly wrong in the next six months for him. 

Agree, spoken to him a few times, a couple of times at real length about all sorts (not liquorice).  He will be judged on player ins and outs and results....not now.

3 hours ago, WayOutWest said:

To be honest Jim, I dont have a problem with this. A decision on Korey had to be made. He made it. He has to stand by it. 

This is one that will make or break you as a manager. Personally I think it's a mistake to get rid of him. Korey is exactly the type of player he will need to rely on. 

I hear Walsh, Morrell and Massengo as being the next step. I don't think they are ready. There is only 1 manager in the championship that would consider that partnership to be battle hardened and ready for 40 odd games and that's DH. Probably that opinion has been given to him from MA. 

Hence why he has been hired. Too a man there wouldn't be any other manager that would be willing to build a team round the

Hope you are well mate. 

Stevo

You would imagine letting Korey go gives scope to go and get the central midfielder we need.  It seems clear that 352 is his system so we will play 3 CMs of varying roles.  It will be a squad game with condensed fixtures, especially if we progress in cups.

We have Morrell, Nagy, Walsh, Massengo competing for 2 of the roles predominantly.  I think this is where we will look to get our equivalent of Dale Stephens / Will Vaulks type CM.  I do not think it will be Vyner.

And we have Paterson, Palmer and Szmodics for the other spot.

Had Smith re-signed, I think it really would close the door on bringing in a new CM.

Archived