IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It’s not unreasonable to assume we might not have been able to afford Chris Hughton.

But if it’s Holden, there needs to be a bloody good reason why we haven’t appointed Paul Cook. He has a decent CV and I’m struggling to accept we weren’t able to pay him what he wanted given the previous clubs he’s managed.

Impossible not to see this as an abject failure however you look at it, if we end up with Holden.

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

“The interim head coach has emerged of late as a genuine option for the club going forward”.

”emerged of late” = everyone else turned us down. 

Or we turned them down.

1 hour ago, Redrascal2 said:

If Holden is selected and the usual result follows of the assistant failing as the Manager then what hope have the club got under Lansdown of ever getting the right man. He has had so many chances  and got it wrong and this was such a good  chance with the candidates available.

I'm think SL really likes Jamie, so perhaps the plan all along was to appoint Holden then let him fail so that Jamie can then take the reins! Soooo bored with all of this now

56 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Have you factored in a) FFP and b) The prospect of that being replaced by a wage cap from next season?

Figures I've read/heard for the latter were £18m and £20m per season.

If clubs vote this in, a lot of people at this level may need to realign expectations.

Factoring in a) and b) is obviously correct.

However, any Manager / Coach have to work within these structures. In addition, the wage cap isn't definite. Also, will the restrictions of COVID-19 be here forever? If they are, then we are all f@cked. If they are not, then make bold moves now to ensure we are ahead of the curve if / when any normality returns at some point in the future.

If Holden gets the job then is this a stop gap to then hunt for a CH type all over again? Makes no sense to me.

Just now, Med/MadHatter said:

I'm think SL really likes Jamie, so perhaps the plan all along was to appoint Holden then let him fail so that Jamie can then take the reins! Soooo bored with all of this now

How ******* depressing. Amazed that a few arnt concerned if Holden is appointed. 

Bar boro the football wasnt a major improvement. Also go back to the Stoke game where we were crying out for a change and he waited till we conceded before doing a thing. Reactive not proactive. Straight out the Johnson handbook.

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not unreasonable to assume we might not have been able to afford Chris Hughton.

But if it’s Holden, there needs to be a bloody good reason why we haven’t appointed Paul Cook. He has a decent CV and I’m struggling to accept we weren’t able to pay him what he wanted given the previous clubs he’s managed.

Impossible not to see this as an abject failure however you look at it, if we end up with Holden.

I’m not sure it will come down to salary offered to someone like Cook. I think it will be down to transfer budget, the requirement to promote from the academy (if that’s what we’re now supposed to be doing now) and the way the club is run. I think many of us suspected that Ashton has the final say on transfers and other playing matters when LJ was here. If we end up with Holden I’ll be more convinced of that than ever.

I’ve said it before but I would rather have kept Johnson than end up with someone even more inexperienced. 

20 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Gregor sugarcoating and covering the boards decision, absolute shambles and would be an outrage if Holden gets the job 

Please no but if so it the most shocking appointment we have ever made , absolute shit 

1 minute ago, BCFC Grim said:

How ******* depressing. Amazed that a few arnt concerned if Holden is appointed. 

Bar boro the football wasnt a major improvement. Also go back to the Stoke game where we were crying out for a change and he waited till we conceded before doing a thing. Reactive not proactive. Straight out the Johnson handbook.

And I cant believe the Hull win being quoted either, we played crap in that game too but got a single goal win over by far the worst team after lockdown. Boro was the only game that we played well under Holden, I fear a same winning percentage that he had when he was at Oldham will be ours too if he is appointed

Just now, Jacki said:

I’m not sure it will come down to salary offered to someone like Cook. I think it will be down to transfer budget, the requirement to promote from the academy (if that’s what we’re now supposed to be doing now) and the way the club is run. I think many of us suspected that Ashton has the final say on transfers and other playing matters when LJ was here. If we end up with Holden I’ll be more convinced of that than ever.

I’ve said it before but I would rather have kept Johnson than end up with someone even more inexperienced. 

If the framework a prospective manager is being asked to work within is roundly rejected by all candidates and you end up with the underqualified caretaker, then it’s time to throw the framework in the bin and think again.

8 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I wonder if the administrators will be watching Cook closely and if he moves into a new job relatively quickly, well I suspect they'll have something to say about that!

Could form part of the equation. Because they were looking to hold him as an asset and if they feel they were deceived, could lead to wrangling between Cook, new club, Wigan and their administration team!

10 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I don't want Holden as manager but I'll give him a bit of credit- and some debit- on a few points. 

Credit:

1) Players had a bit more freedom.

2) 3-5-2. That's a good starting point.

3) Reintegration of Benkovic. Think he's a ballplaying CB but was just one of many incorrectly or poorly used this season and probably before.

4) More attempts, more possession. This has to be a positive. Albeit from a VERY low base. 

5) A fairly settled team and structure.

The debits:

1) A midfield 3 of Smith-Paterson-Weimann is a novel approach but one that can be found out quite quickly.

An extra genuine CM in there and then depending on the opposition, Wells and Weimann up top or Wells and Diedhiou.

That said I think Wells and Weimann could be a fruitful partnership in the making in that sort of shape, both quite clever players.

2) Zero clean sheets in the 5 games. Still certainly conceded some chances.

3) A little more flexibility within same shape and template would have been nice, 3-4-2-1. Paterson as a wide left and Weimann wide right, Wells up top. Bit more control, balance and structure IMO.  

As in Paterson can link with DaSilva and Weimann with Hunt yet not too wide to be negated.

Overall I think he left some good things and these can be built on- but by a new, suitable manager!

Good breakdown Pops, but doesn't inspire confidence in me. Switching to back 3 and wing backs was obviously the best fit and it was stunning that Johnson didn't try it. 

A settled team was also an obvious one, no tactical genius needed.

In possession we were much better - that was the big positive for me.

But defensively we looked vulnerable. And the forward line we were so excited about looked totally out of sorts.

Results were only okay. And without some moments of genius from Pato, could have been worse.

Conclusion: he would need to have a MUCH bigger impact as permanent coach, without much time to get in gear.

Let's not forget that being caretaker of a struggling side is the easy bit. The real daily pressure comes when your job is on the line week in week out, and you're up against some very good adversaries. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Future quote: "Look, we had to look at the candidates in the round and make the best appointment for this football club. That can involve making difficult decisions, but we're confident that in Dean, we've found the best fit for this football club."

Archived