Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

The media said we were looking at Gerrard, never the club. 

The same media that told us all that Hughton had got the job 2 weeks ago. 

From memory, Gregor was the one who first said SG was our no 1 target and to be fair to him, he’s been accurate through this mess.

I think it was the Mail that started the rush to report that we’d got Hughton, but Gregor insisted it wasn’t a done deal.

It was mentioned on here that Gerrard’s agent is the same one Mark Ashton uses for our player recruitment.  If that’s correct, it’s not beyond the realms of possibility that someone at City could have casually asked the agent if there would be any point in us approaching Rangers for permission to speak to Gerrard.

We would then be telling the truth that we haven’t spoken to Gerrard and Gerrard would be equally truthful if he says he hasn’t heard from us.

• Like 1
Just now, Nugget said:

Why was the drone up today with the media dept working on something? Yet DH is taking his tome to mull over. I’ve been told, still, to expect an announcement tomorrow (Saturday). 

The new over priced kit they expect us to buy. 

2 hours ago, Riaz said:

Hughton not wanting to work with Ashton? Total guesswork on your part 

That's true, but Hughton not wanting to work with a bloke - any other bloke - who was in charge of recruitment and selling? I can believe that!  Hughton is famously meticulous.  Can you imagine a guy like that surrendering any control over who is at the club to a third party? I can't. 

You're right to say this is conjecture, but there has to be some reason he interviewed here but then didn't fancy it. 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I absolutely cannot stand it when i hear/see someone use the phrase "we go again" so cringey. 

I agree, I understand it's a club in the bag for a manager but it certainly doesn't leave me feeling over the moon. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, AshtonG666 said:

Unless LJ has been cheating a living for the past 4 years and it was in fact DH who was pulling the strings and was the brains behind the operation, how is appointing him now going to be the answer and the step SL suggested we needed to get over the line

Surely this is a measurable step backwards in terms of experience etc

I can't get my head around it. Nice guy he may be but he also comes across as abit dull and not someone who will fire up the team when the chips are down

It needs a new voice and face to give the whole club a lift and help fine tune the players and get us to the Premiership

Well I don't think it was Holden that was pulling the strings, but he has.

29 minutes ago, Chappers said:

You do realise that the quality deterioration is imaginary at present? As is the comparator with other managerial candidates, and we will never know the reality in those instances. The performances in 5 games last season is not comparable as he was operating with a squad that had deficiencies in midfield that should be rectified. 
Once we are about 6 games into the season, your hypothetical theory of deterioration can be analysed against actual data, although this may show an improvement, disproving this imagines theory.

It was still a s*** analogy.

Ultimately, if Holden gets the job he'll get my full backing.

I'll be very disappointed, but not at Holden. He'll have received his brief, and that will be to improve on this season and make a push towards promotion, and that is what he'll be judged on. Should he do it, then he's done better than anyone here would've imagined.

If he doesn't, he'll deserve the sack, and real questions will need to be asked of Lansdown and Ashton. Unlike the last time Lansdown was put in this position, he will have had a legitimate proven option in Hughton, yet he would've chosen to stick to his guns and continue to adopt a slow and steady strategy under LJ that failed and set us back 1-2 years.

Lansdown is not above criticism, regardless of how much of his own money he's poured into the club. He has had decades to make the club self-sufficient, and while we're making great strides, we're still at a point where we cannot afford to be competitive in this division. To ask for promotion without being able to afford it reduces his credibility, and ultimately if he continues to push for promotion while pinching pennies I think that he should consider selling up to someone that can actually put that vision in place.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, EnderMB said:

Ultimately, if Holden gets the job he'll get my full backing.

I'll be very disappointed, but not at Holden. He'll have received his brief, and that will be to improve on this season and make a push towards promotion, and that is what he'll be judged on. Should he do it, then he's done better than anyone here would've imagined.

If he doesn't, he'll deserve the sack, and real questions will need to be asked of Lansdown and Ashton. Unlike the last time Lansdown was put in this position, he will have had a legitimate proven option in Hughton, yet he would've chosen to stick to his guns and continue to adopt a slow and steady strategy under LJ that failed and set us back 1-2 years.

Lansdown is not above criticism, regardless of how much of his own money he's poured into the club. He has had decades to make the club self-sufficient, and while we're making great strides, we're still at a point where we cannot afford to be competitive in this division. To ask for promotion without being able to afford it reduces his credibility, and ultimately if he continues to push for promotion while pinching pennies I think that he should consider selling up to someone that can actually put that vision in place.

Championship clubs are frequently selling, is the way of the world.

Ask Brentford, or at times Nottingham Forest, Leeds to name 3 in recent times. Or Birmingham, Jesus have they been decimated last couple of seasons!

Sell up? Careful what you wish for!

Make club self-sufficent- at this level- you must be joking!

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, five weeks after the powers that be at our football club state that they have recieved masses of interest in the head coach position from top drawer applicants from all over the globe and will appoint someone to take us to the next level, they offer the job to the assistant of the bloke that they have just rightly sacked.

But wait... it gets better.

He is taking the weekend to decide if he wants it!!

**** me... 😠

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Championship clubs are frequently selling, is the way of the world.

Ask Brentford, or at times Nottingham Forest, Leeds to name 3 in recent times. Or Birmingham, Jesus have they been decimated last couple of seasons!

Sell up? Careful what you wish for!

Make club self-sufficent- at this level- you must be joking!

Im not sure i want an egotistical maniac as an owner tbh.

I cannot trust Lansdown any longer.

I dont feel like he has the best interests of the club at heart. Despite his financial security. There are to many bizarre decisions for me to know that he has the best interests of the club at heart.

He should NOT be above criticism. Yes we can be alot worse off of course. We can be better off. Any moron with half a brain cell can see Holden is the wrong choice for one. 

I could be wrong. I doubt I am at this point though. Holden could have short term success. Again, i dont think so. But long term, we aint going nowhere under Lansdown. Good or bad. Id rather have somebody that wasnt so ego driven leading us. 

Edited by Atticus
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Lew-T said:

It’s a big ask though. This is his record in a young managerial career so far...

Oldham - P15, W3, D5, L7
City - P5, W2, D2, L2

W2,D2,L2 = 6. At City. 🤣

I think the castigation of an owner, before an announcement, should stop. 

But boy their PR dept has been found wanting. Who decided and devised the idea of an, at times, unhelpful bunch of remarks to the press needs fair criticism. 

And that ultimately needs levelling at the Chairman for his handling of it... One straight tweet a week would have been sufficient... Keeping us informed , honestly, why it was taking so long and to please be patient. No need to give anything away. It's not rocket science.

Instead you have a supporter base that is flinging quite vitriolic remarks especially to the Chairman's father. Cannot be nice for him. 

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 8

Dean by all accounts has asked for the weekend to consider the job.  be surprised if he says no.  i wonder who will be his backroom team.  Macca going looks like he will be getting 2  in.  his assistant is going to be a huge appointment.  he needs a really  experienced person. 

2 hours ago, havanatopia said:

I think the castigation of an owner, before an announcement, should stop. 

But boy their PR dept has been found wanting. Who decided and devised the idea of an, at times, unhelpful bunch of remarks to the press needs fair criticism. 

And that ultimately needs levelling at the Chairman for his handling of it... One straight tweet a week would have been sufficient... Keeping us informed , honestly, why it was taking so long and to please be patient. No need to give anything away. It's not rocket science.

Instead you have a supporter base that is flinging quite vitriolic remarks especially to the Chairman's father. Cannot be nice for him. 

I completely agree , the clubs handling of this has been amateurish. Right now I feel sorry for Dean, opportunity of his life managers position at a relatively big club leaked to the press with the final comment he wants time to think about it.  Dean Holden deserves better than that 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Robbored said:

I doubt it Rob. They don’t broadcast information if it’s not on the clubs official Site.

Well that’s not true

They reported that we were in talks with Hughton which was not on your beloved official site

• Hmmm 1