Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 hours ago, RedM said:

I’m pretty certain it was Moyes or Pulis and the board were split and SL had the deciding vote. I think I’ve tried to blank out the detail as I’m still upset about that bad call 😀

Yes Pulis was on paper at the time desirable, but as I’ve just written elsewhere you got to look someone in the eyes and see what the candidate is made of. But I do admit that Pulis has managed to talk his way into being almost constantly employed and seems to mostly come out smelling of roses by sueing people

Fair.

I'm no fan of Pulis btw, but he has had a reasonable successful career albeit ultimately less so than Moyes- Peter Taylor was possibly another year?

7 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Said all along, is this a guise to wait for Paul Cook?

Except it isn't that simple because if he's quit Wigan and mislead or perceived to have mislead the administrators- could lead to wrangling, money, illegal approach, tapping up- whatever!

4 hours ago, steviestevieneville said:

Open your eyes for god sake. Listen to lansdowns interview on talkSPORT . He said . We want premier league football ASAP . Lee was sacked because he didn’t get us in the play offs . Wants a manager to take us to the next level. 
This was all in the middle of the pandemic and being a billionaire financial expert he would of known full well the costs incurred well before making these statements .get your head out of your ass 

Did Mark Ashton not state in April that we were/football was heading for a season of austerity?

Mixed messaging by the club- again!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

They claim they aren't going to sell anyone other than Ake but that sounds fanciful given what you say and what we know.

Ramsdale being eyed up as replacement for Henderson, who’ll go back to Man Utd.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I'm hoping this is the biggest subversion in our history. Monday Hughton announced as manager with a director of football, Holden is chief first team coach and all the while showing off the best kit this century. 🤞

I think this could be near the truth. I see a reshaping of BCFC from how we recently have been operating. I thought it might be Big Sam as I think he was at Bolton when Holden there, might be wrong, but I think now it's more likely that CH will be DOF, concentrating on the team and assisting DH as Head Coach, with MA running the day to day transfers, etc. Like Monsieur Poirot, my little grey cells have been working overtime. We shall soon know.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

I'm hoping this is the biggest subversion in our history. Monday Hughton announced as manager with a director of football, Holden is chief first team coach and all the while showing off the best kit this century. 🤞

I've heard we are going to use the 125th Anniversary shirts for the whole of next season

55 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

I think this could be near the truth. I see a reshaping of BCFC from how we recently have been operating. I thought it might be Big Sam as I think he was at Bolton when Holden there, might be wrong, but I think now it's more likely that CH will be DOF, concentrating on the team and assisting DH as Head Coach, with MA running the day to day transfers, etc. Like Monsieur Poirot, my little grey cells have been working overtime. We shall soon know.

Yes he was. Initially managed by Colin Todd before Allardyce came in.

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Apologies if this has already been posted - someone has been mischievous on Wiki:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dean_Holden

Dean Thomas John Holden (born 15 September 1979) is an English former footballer who is currently the head coach that no one wanted at Bristol City after his name came out the Clubs Tombola filled with the cheapest options. 😂

11 minutes ago, gazzer said:

Juve sack Sarri, appoint Pirlo in less than a day. Thread on Juve forum less than a page. 

Pirlo’s managerial experience

Appointed Juve’s U 23 manager end of July 2020!

If it is true that the Post "journalist" has used the words "fairly exciting" with regard to someone coming in to assist Holden, I think that the most likely candidate would be Joe Jordan, who still lives locally, knows the club, loves the club and as far as I am aware is doing pretty much bugger all (stand to be corrected on the latter).

I think that most supporters of my generation would be happy with that. Younger ones maybe more indifferent. Hence "fairly exciting".

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, as I think it is almost criminal that he has lived on the doorstep for so many years without his experience being utilised. I think that Johnson could have benefited.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Superjack said:

If it is true that the Post "journalist" has used the words "fairly exciting" with regard to someone coming in to assist Holden, I think that the most likely candidate would be Joe Jordan, who still lives locally, knows the club, loves the club and as far as I am aware is doing pretty much bugger all (stand to be corrected on the latter).

I think that most supporters of my generation would be happy with that. Younger ones maybe more indifferent. Hence "fairly exciting".

Maybe just wishful thinking on my part, as I think it is almost criminal that he has lived on the doorstep for so many years without his experience being utilised. I think that Johnson could have benefited.

I hope Joe is healthy and has the legs because he's no spring chicken and may prefer to be an arm chair fan. He has done it all, why come back into the fire. 

The one thing I will admit is that of all those who would be kings, aside from age, Joe is a 'workable' choice for the board and I would not be surprised , given where we are, the thought has crossed their enigmatic minds!

As so many have opined about a rabbit out of the hat, after I wrote that piece in Chris Hughton, the indications are either not there or very tenuous. From what I have heard and the oddity of Holden 'thinking about the best job offer he will likely ever get' and the sacking of Macca it does point to something happening. For the love of God I hope so.

I would just add though that as much as I loved the two times Joe was here his suitability, at this stage of his life, having been out of the game for so long, would not really excite the fan base. Nor, may I say, would he bring sufficient gravitas to the table. Remember, he has to elevate Holden to a place of acceptability. Love him as we do Jordan will sadly not do that.

Edited by havanatopia
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, havanatopia said:

I hope Joe is healthy and has the legs because he's no spring chicken and may prefer to be an arm chair fan. He has done it all, why come back into the fire. 

The one thing I will admit is that of all those who would be kings, aside from age, Joe is a 'workable' choice for the board and I would not be surprised , given where we are, the thought has crossed their enigmatic minds!

As so many have opined about a rabbit out of the hat, after I wrote that piece in Chris Hughton, the indications are either not there or very tenuous. From what I have heard and the oddity of Holden 'thinking about the best job offer he will likely ever get' and the sacking of Macca it does point to something happening. For the love of God I hope so.

I would just add though that as much as I loved the two times Joe was here his suitability, at this stage of his life, having been out of the game for so long, would not really excite the fan base. Nor, may I say, would he bring sufficient gravitas to the table. Remember, he has to elevate Holden to a place of acceptability. Love him as we do Jordan will sadly not do that.

Sadly I think the time has now passed for any level of 'gravitas' to which you refer.

Although I take your well made points.

If it is to be Holden though, someone of Joe's experience is what may balance the scales. It wouldn't have to be that 'hands on', just a wise head to help steer. At his time of life, it might be the perfect role for him.

All conjecture and as I said, more than likely just nostalgic wishful thinking on my part.

• Like 3

'Steering' and from a semi abstract way, IE not on the touch line as I think you suggest is not, imo, gonna cut it with the fans simply because it will not be enough.

I would suggest that the reflection by Holden over the weekend certainly points towards a much more hands on type of person coming in. Upstairs steering roles need little or no reflection time for Holden, surely?

Edited by havanatopia
1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Sadly I think the time has now passed for any level of 'gravitas' to which you refer.

Although I take your well made points.

If it is to be Holden though, someone of Joe's experience is what may balance the scales. It wouldn't have to be that 'hands on', just a wise head to help steer. At his time of life, it might be the perfect role for him.

All conjecture and as I said, more than likely just nostalgic wishful thinking on my part.

Definitely nostalgic and a great possibility. If this did pan out then every one on here would show immediate support by the decision 

4 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I certainly would... But it's not enough is it. If it was Lee J or Lowe with Joe upstairs then probably a decent level of knowledge. Dean plus Joe still feels incredibly light weight. 

It’s still better than DH on his own of which most believe is going to occur. My fingers, toes and nuts are crossed a big name will be announced as head coach tomorrow and DH will be the assistant. I respect DH but not the correct decision as expectations are so high on the future of the club.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, City oz said:

Definitely nostalgic and a great possibility. If this did pan out then every one on here would show immediate support by the decision 

Wtf....we're back to the ridiculous nostalgia of having ex players back as coaching staff.

I certainly wouldn't be supportiing having Joe Jordan as DOF... there are much better candidates out there.

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Wtf....we're back to the ridiculous nostalgia of having ex players back as coaching staff.

I certainly wouldn't be supportiing having Joe Jordan as DOF... there are much better candidates out there.

I’m glad someone has finally said it. Joe Jordan FFS 

bloke has been out the game for to long and is about 100

• Like 1