Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On the poll, 83% of the fans basically said they did not want Holden, so what do City do? They give him the job. Great way to piss off,  and on the fan base. I hope he's successful, but can't see this as a good appointment.

Edited by 42104RED
  • Sad 1

Ashton's expectations of Holden - in interview with Geoff  - expecting to be challenging for promotion - but if not that does't mean he'll be sacked. 

"there is no target for his job.'

Read into that what you will...

• Like 2

\Thought Holden came over very well in his 20man interview. Straight talking Manchester lad. I hope he does what he says and plays good football . I'm happy in the Championship it's a great League and we are nearer the bottom than the top in size of club. If I was to choose from guaranteed Championship football for the next few years or 50/50 we will be either promoted or relegated next season I'd take the Championship every time. If we compete and play well more often than not I will be happy.

• Like 4

I wish Holden all the best. Wish him luck... 

...Think he'll need it!

I like what he said, spoke well. I think he needs to tweak somewhat his shape- Weimann and Wells could partner in the 3-5-2, up front that is.

Not very inspiring however. Let's see how it goes...saw some positive signs in those 5 games but I fear he won't build on them. 

I think I'm in a bit of a state of shock tbh! Disbelieving.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Ashton's expectations of Holden - in interview with Geoff  - expecting to be challenging for promotion - but if not that does't mean he'll be sacked. 

Blimey, must ask my boss if I can forget my targets.

I suspect there is a target and that is to do what Ashton tells him and don't answer back. Oh, and to take all the flak that Ashton should be getting, so two targets then.

• Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

12 month rolling contract 

That's smart. 

I wish him all the best, not least as a successful City is what we all want, but I wonder if we are looking to give Holden the job as a safe pair of hands and then go for a bigger name in summer 2021?

Too optimistic a take?

• Like 2
Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's smart. 

I wish him all the best, not least as a successful City is what we all want, but I wonder if we are looking to give Holden the job as a safe pair of hands and then go for a bigger name in summer 2021?

Too optimistic a take?

I honestly don’t know Mr P . All smacks of desperation to me 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's smart. 

Too optimistic a take?

Yes, too optimistic. Ashton would never appoint someone who won't bend the need to him.

6 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

A whole host of players liking the club's post resgarding the appointment. It's time for those players to pull their fingers out of their backsides and perform how they should be able to. 

Yep. If he's as popular with them as we're led to believe then they've got no excuse for not putting a shift in.

• Like 3

I'm confident we'll see more exciting football this season.

I'm confident we'll see some very good youngsters getting a chance, which I love to see.

I'm also confident we won't be in the Prem in a years time but I'll accept the 1st two. Just hope I can be there to see at least some of it.

• Like 2

Johnson was relatively unpopular from the off following on from his playing days when there was more than a whiff of suspicion that he wasn’t a particularly gifted player in a relatively talented squad, but was still automatically on the team sheet due to nepotism. Plus the fact that he had a very modest managerial CV.

Fast forward 4.5 years and we appoint a bloke who is virtually universally unpopular given his inextricable part in the previous regime, the suspicion he was the cheap and cheerful option, the powers-that-be faffed around for five weeks only to make an in-house appointment, and he has an even less prestigious managerial track record.

Holden had his chance in the last few games of the season to demonstrate he was capable of doing the job full-time, and fell far short of showing anything of the sort. There were about a zillion names bandied around since LJ slung his hook and this rigmarole has carried on, and every single one of them would likely have been preferable to the man they plumped for.

Nothing personal against the bloke, of course - the ire and frustration is solely directed at the club for the latest in a series of stupefying decisions.

7 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

I honestly don’t know Mr P . All smacks of desperation to me 

Yeah, I know what you mean. Makes two of us, none of this makes any sense if we want manager to take us forward- am just thinking of any number of names who are more credible. 

Hoping there's some kind of masterplan however.

I think 14 players only in contract next summer. Holden keeps us steady, finances of football start to rebuild over next 12 months. 

This would give a new manager a relatively blank canvas to work with and I mean a more experienced, strong candidate.

Lots of wages off the books, one or two maybe sold this year and some maybe renewed but a fairly clean slate!

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really really hope Dean proves me wrong because he genuinely sounds like a great guy. I’ve got no doubt he’ll do everything he can to make this a success. 

I just have a nagging feeling it’s going to go badly wrong..

Couldn't agree more. Dean Holden comes across as a top bloke - I've met him twice, but both times he was willing to speak candidly with me, and clearly backs himself. I'd love for him to be a huge success at City, and I'd genuinely feel bad if it went horribly wrong in the next six months for him. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's smart. 

Too optimistic a take?

I think they are maybe waiting for Eddie Howe now

• Hmmm 1
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Makes two of us, none of this makes any sense if we want manager to take us forward- am just thinking of any number of names who are more credible. 

Hoping there's some kind of masterplan however.

I think 14 players only in contract next summer. Holden keeps us steady, finances of football start to rebuild over next 12 months. 

This would give a new manager a relatively blank canvas to work with and I mean a more experienced, strong candidate.

Lots of wages off the books, one or two maybe sold this year and some maybe renewed but a fairly clean slate!

The contract length just makes it more confusing to me . It’s like they are expecting him to fail . As for players and contracts that is just part and parcel of football that every club face . I really hope he does well but if he doesn’t they go through it all again.

Strange times 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

A whole host of players liking the club's post resgarding the appointment. It's time for those players to pull their fingers out of their backsides and perform how they should be able to. 

Never forget that the players chose 7 Nation Army. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dean Holden's interview on Radio Bristol has solidified my faith in him. I will support him absolutely. 

However, Ashton, please **** off. You are making BCFC worse.

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, 42104RED said:

On the poll, 83% of the fans basically said they did not want Holden, so what do City do? They give him the job. Great way to piss off,  and on the fan base. I hope he's successful, but can't see this as a good appointment.

Fans didn't want Cotts or LJ either...

They did want SOD

If the club went with what fans want then that would be a pretty shocking way to run the club

• Like 1

Well what a joke another sell out , cheap option again , why not have kept Johnson he did know how to keep is mid - table ,we don’t want to go any where humm may down with the gas , fans choice ignored again , Cheers Landsdowne and Ashton par of money grabbing *****.

8 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Fans didn't want Cotts or LJ either...

They did want SOD

If the club went with what fans want then that would be a pretty shocking way to run the club

More a question of the club saying one thing and doing another in this case I think. Tell the truth in the first place and the response is less likely to be angry.

• Like 1
58 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I found that almost unbelievable. ‘’No target on his job’’ yeah of course there isn’t Ashton.. why only give the man a 12 month rolling contract then. Do you think we are stupid? 

Edited by bris red
1 minute ago, chinapig said:

More a question of the club saying one thing and doing another in this case I think. Tell the truth in the first place and the response is less likely to be angry.

I think Lansdown was telling the truth in his intentions, as otherwise he would not have said it.

The 5 weeks suggests to me that it wasn't a simple process for whatever reason.

4 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I think Lansdown was telling the truth in his intentions, as otherwise he would not have said it.

The 5 weeks suggests to me that it wasn't a simple process for whatever reason.

I would have thought someone of Steve's experience would be aware of the old rule: under promise and over deliver.

He raised expectations instead of managing them. Bad move.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, bris red said:

I found that almost unbelievable. ‘’No target on his job’’ yeah of course there isn’t Ashton.. why only give the man a 12 month rolling contract then. Do you think we are stupid? 

I think they possibly do...which given that some of the most intelligent, highly qualified and professionally and financially successful people I know are City fans...is a shame!

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I would have thought someone of Steve's experience would be aware of the old rule: under promise and over deliver.

He raised expectations instead of managing them. Bad move.

Yeah but lets face it, many fans would be exactly the same even if Lansdown warned them.