Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)


If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, cidercity1987 said:

Bit of a fallacy surely to say Holden interviewed better than Hughton, especially related to knowledge of the players, club, processes etc. I mean obviously Holden would know more.

Obviously the situation is a little different and easier to research at a certain level, but apparently Jose Mourinho goes to all his interviews with a run down of the clubs squad, strengths and weaknesses. It would be hard not to be impressed with that kind of preparation and from what we know of Ashton and LJ's work around recruiting Tammy etc, the sort of thing they would be looking for from potential HC's.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm guessing that Holden and his agent put together a strategy that paid off.

They knew exactly what would hit the buttons with Ashton and Lansdown:

Hit the ground running

Don't need big transfer kitty

Know how to get the young players integrated immediately 

Only tweaks needed to staff and squad 

No issue with player sales

Want to get the best out of our assets such as Palmer

Happy for Ashton to do manage recruitment ("I trust you Mark")

Understanding that Lansdown has a right to pass comment on playing matters in some cases.

...

I don't think the idea of experienced coaches supporting him came until later in the process and that probably won it for him. 

Holden was happy to let the board suggest some coaches and when Simpson and Downing were presented to him he was comfortable that he could work with them. Now that the concerns about his inexperience had been mitigated, the only pill for Holden to swallow was the short term deal.

Ashton offers Holden 12 months rolling, non-negotiable ("this is your big chance Dean. Back yourself to earn an extension.")

Probably a surprise to Holden, everything fell into place. He knows he has a big opportunity now. He can secure a longer deal (2 years perhaps) by getting City in the top 6 by Christmas. All he needs is a good start and to build some momentum. 

I'm not sure why the club were so adamant that the coaches were Holden's idea. Doesn't seem to be the case from the comments.

Also, Gregor said there's was a significant backing for Holden at the club. I wonder who?

  • Like 1
  • Flames 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mozo said:

I'm guessing that Holden and his agent put together a strategy that paid off.

They knew exactly what would hit the buttons with Ashton and Lansdown:

Hit the ground running

Don't need big transfer kitty

Know how to get the young players integrated immediately 

Only tweaks needed to staff and squad 

No issue with player sales

Want to get the best out of our assets such as Palmer

Happy for Ashton to do manage recruitment ("I trust you Mark")

Understanding that Lansdown has a right to pass comment on playing matters in some cases.

...

I don't think the idea of experienced coaches supporting him came until later in the process and that probably won it for him. 

Holden was happy to let the board suggest some coaches and when Simpson and Downing were presented to him he was comfortable that he could work with them. Now that the concerns about his inexperience had been mitigated, the only pill for Holden to swallow was the short term deal.

Ashton offers Holden 12 months rolling, non-negotiable ("this is your big chance Dean. Back yourself to earn an extension.")

Probably a surprise to Holden, everything fell into place. He knows he has a big opportunity now. He can secure a longer deal (2 years perhaps) by getting City in the top 6 by Christmas. All he needs is a good start and to build some momentum. 

I'm not sure why the club were so adamant that the coaches were Holden's idea. Doesn't seem to be the case from the comments.

Also, Gregor said there's was a significant backing for Holden at the club. I wonder who?

I suspect you are pretty close to the mark here.

Re Gregor saying there was significant backing, when he first announced Holden in the frame, Jamie Paterson liked the tweet, then quickly removed it!  But someone noticed and screenshot it!  Pato also keen to like other tweets re Holden too since.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anyone else really rooting for Holden because he seems like a good ‘human’?

I know his back story and never heard a bad word about him as a man. I’m not convinced he can achieve it, but I really want him to succeed. Seems like a top guy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is anyone else really rooting for Holden because he seems like a good ‘human’?

I know his back story and never heard a bad word about him as a man. I’m not convinced he can achieve it, but I really want him to succeed. Seems like a top guy.

The more I see of DH the more I like the man, not that I ever disliked him but he seems to be a straight talker with no bull5hit. He wouldn't have been my first choice with all the other names being banded around but as you say he seems a really top bloke who's under no illusions of how tough the job is & I hope he's successful.

Importantly, he has got good people with him & I now have a good feel about what could be achieved.

COYR's

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect you are pretty close to the mark here.

Re Gregor saying there was significant backing, when he first announced Holden in the frame, Jamie Paterson liked the tweet, then quickly removed it!  But someone noticed and screenshot it!  Pato also keen to like other tweets re Holden too since.

Okay, I was wondering if Gregor was hinting at more than that, but could just be Pato (and perhaps one or two other senior players).

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Is anyone else really rooting for Holden because he seems like a good ‘human’?

I know his back story and never heard a bad word about him as a man. I’m not convinced he can achieve it, but I really want him to succeed. Seems like a top guy.

If we take his personal tragedy out of the equation (and he wouldn't want our pity), I want him to succeed in exactly the same way I wanted Lee Johnson to succeed. 

By this I mean I have no bias towards him whatsoever. I just want the best for City, and seeing as he's our top man I want him to be a success. 

I guess it would be a decent underdog story if he can progress us.

Edited by mozo
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bpexile said:

The more I see of DH the more I like the man, not that I ever disliked him but he seems to be a straight talker with no bull5hit. He wouldn't have been my first choice with all the other names being banded around but as you say he seems a really top bloke who's under no illusions of how tough the job is & I hope he's successful.

Importantly, he has got good people with him & I now have a good feel about what could be achieved.

COYR's

Sorry to disagree with you buddy (I think lots of people agree with you), but I'm still not convinced about this straight talker stuff. Hope I'm made to look too sceptical here but I've watched a few interviews for a 2nd time and his answers are a bit woolly to say the least. He seems to shy away from detail, but hey, it's early doors and he might completely prove me wrong. 

What I will say is that City fans crave a straightforward and honest communicator so let's hope he can deliver.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I suspect you are pretty close to the mark here.

Re Gregor saying there was significant backing, when he first announced Holden in the frame, Jamie Paterson liked the tweet, then quickly removed it!  But someone noticed and screenshot it!  Pato also keen to like other tweets re Holden too since.

If I was to write a list of individuals at AG whose backing for a new manager may be termed as 'significant', Jamie Paterson would not be near the top.

In fact he wouldn't be on it at all!

I know who would be top though.

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If I was to write a list of individuals at AG whose backing for a new manager may be termed as 'significant', Jamie Paterson would not be near the top.

In fact he wouldn't be on it at all!

I know who would be top though.

 

Who?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Who?

My first thought on seeing the quote was the significant backing was from someone in a high seat in the stand opposite the Dolman. 

No offence to Pato, but surely no one believes his views would even be sought, let alone be thought of as significant?

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

My first thought on seeing the quote was the significant backing was from someone in a high seat in the stand opposite the Dolman. 

No offence to Pato, but surely no one believes his views would even be sought, let alone be thought of as significant?

Not on his own, no. But as a collective of senior player maybe they would.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, James54De said:

Not on his own, no. But as a collective of senior player maybe they would.

I doubt it, it's not sustainable -  the club will know that a high percentage of players leave within a couple of seasons of a new manager taking over, and probably 10 new ones come in.

We were told DH is popular with the players, but the club will know that may change once he has to start actually making decisions as the head coach that are bound to put a few noses out of joint in the dressing room.

I honestly can't see the club taking too much notice of the views of transient players however senior they are - being senior just means they're likely to be out the door earlier in the new manager's reign, like Korey.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...