IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

So, do those of you who wanted LJ out and thought that literally anyone would do better still stand by that?

Yes, 100%

Lj was a bumbling baffoon without qualification and/or experience to guide our club. At least dean has the qualifications

What a ******* joke. If he is appointed, it better be because we need to for FFP reasons. Even so I've had enough of SL and his pet projects. Tinnion was crap, Millen was crap, LJ was crap after a while and now Holden. Geeze I might get a job coaching the under 10's knowing ill been in with a shout.

Bloody hell this is underwhelming isn't it.

I don't even mean it as a dig at Holden. He's quite possibly a top bloke and a great coach - bizarrely none of this frustration is aimed at him. But when you have (allegedly) interest across the continent and the opportunity to get a manager in who has got promotion multiple times before, and turned down other clubs in this division every other bloody month, then yes, this is a seriously underwhelming appointment.

Then again, I felt this exact way when we appointed Cotts and when we appointed LJ. And (at least) 1 of them turned out to be a good choice. Doesn't make me feel any better right now though.

3 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Mark Ashton on the 8th of July:

"I've been involved in this process on a number of occasions in my career and it is a challenge, let's be clear," Ashton said.

"When I left the ground here on Saturday night, having spoken to Lee, Dean (Holden), staff, players, there were a number of people calling, almost offering their condolences because they were sad to see we made the change.

"But at the same time, the phone starts with coaches, managers, people representing those coaches and managers who see Bristol City as a fantastic opportunity, a fantastic job and a club that has real potential to get to the Premier League.

"We have been inundated with applicants - internationally, nationally; coaches, managers from right across the globe. "So what we will do right now is pull together that list. We've had conversations with the owners with the type of individual that we're looking for and from that list we will start to interview and we will move through an interview process and find the right person for this job."

There's been a serious failure in the recruitment process if we come out the other end with Dean Holden at the helm. How can you scan through all of the CVs, interview the best candidates and realise that the best applicant was right under your nose? What on earth did Holden do in that interview to impress Ashton? He was a major part of Johnson's coaching team which were considered a failure by the board. 

We've made excellent process over the past few years and this season has knocked the wind out of our sails. It quickly feels like the post-Gary Johnson era all over again! 

Good post, totally agree. Feels alarmingly like history repeating itself with the Millen appointment post-Coppell (but with no big name manager coming in to begin with!).

10 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

Genuine question, which ‘number 2s’ that City have promoted to manager have worked out in your opinion?

First one that comes to mind is Joe Jordan, I don’t think Keith Millen was too bad considering he admitted he never really wanted to be a Manager. I don’t think that Holden is the right man by the way, but I am taking objection to this idea that he should be castigates purely because he has been a number 2 here. As I said, it’s not an unusual state of affairs at other clubs.

1 minute ago, ralphindevon said:

Interesting how every option will see somebody burning their season card

They won’t, they will chuck teddy out of pram, then if we do well behind closed doors, be moaning that they can’t get tickets/ can only see a limited number of games.

1 minute ago, Port Said Red said:

First one that comes to mind is Joe Jordan, I don’t think Keith Millen was too bad considering he admitted he never really wanted to be a Manager. I don’t think that Holden is the right man by the way, but I am taking objection to this idea that he should be castigates purely because he has been a number 2 here. As I said, it’s not an unusual state of affairs at other clubs.

And I wasn’t having a go, it WAS a genuine question. I quite agree re Jordan, maybe not so much with Keef. 

If true we are going to see a number of our young players given opportunities in the coming season, something many of us have wanted to see for a long time. What those young players will need is for everyone to get behind the club and not wait for failure. It must be galling to have waited so long for LJ’s demise only for his assistant to replace him but people will need to get over their disappointment. It’s not like we’re not used to disappointment as City fans. Dean might just surprise us. 

Don't know if this could be possible but how would we feel if Holden is appointed Head Coach along with someone else more exciting/ experienced coming in as Director of Football

I'm clutching at straws here as that would include Ashton giving up some of his control on the football side of things but that's the only way this all begins to make any sense.

3 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

What qualifications does Dean Holden have that Lee Johnson didn't?

The crucial qualification is that he is not Lee Johnson. Besides that, nothing.

Here's another way to think about this...

If another Championship club had a head coach vacancy and both Lee Johnson and Dean Holden applied, which would more likely get the job?

Edit: applied!

The appointment of Dean Holden would be the final straw for me. I cannot understand how he is expected to deliver PL football, with zero track record. It smacks of a yes man being appointed. I understand the club has to have a structure but if that is the case, it is that structure which has to accept responsibility for Lee Johnson. The number 2 is very seldom a successful appointment. What a poor decision if this proves to be true. Sometimes it is better the devil you know.... Id rather have Johnson. I thought he was sacked for not meeting target of playoffs..... that is now even more remote with a rookie being given the job. In fact, I am speechless. 

If Holden is appointed it will be clear the ambition is purely to be a championship club which can develop players to be sold for profit not to compete at the highest level. 

Given the names linked and interested this will be a massive blow to the reputation of the club. 

The Johnson appointment was highly dubious as a job for the boys appointment but this will be a very clear and public we want a yes man.

As SL said a few years back to twentyman it’s my club I put the most money in and if this concludes how we are now expecting I take this as a clear up yours to the fans 

Archived