Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

23 minutes ago, old parkender said:

Very poor from Gregor, very poor. Seems like he knows which side his bread is buttered

4D73EAC7-0307-4187-9DE4-63817A216661.png

From the outside looking in, seems bizarre.

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

• Like 8

Obviously as fans we have no idea what has been happening over recent months, as in the time prior to LJs departure and since. So whatever is decided we won’t ever know the full details behind the decision. We are left to rely upon media coverage and official announcements (when the time is right).

Making my own sense of the situation if DH is appointed I’d conclude:

1) He was not first choice

2) He may be in the role a relatively short time (depending on how things go) 

3) Other candidates did not fit our requirements, model, culture, etc

4) All things considered the decision to go with a known individual is underwhelming, safe and buys time

5) In the worst case scenario DH won’t succeed and will be replaced within six months

6) In the best case scenario DH excels and everyone is delighted.

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
44 minutes ago, Alan Dicks said:

I speak the absolute truth.

As a Johnson out man, long before this season started i might add , I’d rather Johnson at the helm than Holden.

What an absolutely suicidal appointment if he gets the job!

Anyone else feel the same?

Completely agree I would have preferred sticking with LJ. 

Can we bring LJ back? 

FFS Dean ******* Holden what an absolute shambles if he gets appointed. I remember when I felt gutted when Ryan Lowe was a favourite. Get him in, get Robins, get Cook, get Neil. Dean Holden has done nothing and will just be another yes man for Ashton and the Lansdown boys. 

Someone mentioned A cider with Jon Lansdown and that JL didn’t come across as an idiot. So I went back and listened. He doesn’t sound that sharp. He clearly runs a large portion of the club and that is the problem. It gets run off how he feels. He says it. Hell Dean Holden being appointed sounds pretty likely with what he says considering LJ is gone. We have a business guy running the club with a fan. 

I’d put my money on @Mr Popodopolous & @Davefevs running it better than it is right now. 

And yes I am dramatic but this Dean Holden nonsense really winding me up. The club has gone fishing and it has worked

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

One could argue they are absolutely related but in quite the opposite way you are referring to.. if Hughton is appointed then revenue will undoubtedly increase, that should be blindingly obvious, if Holden is appointed those jobs don't come back anytime soon and certainly long after they would come back with a high profile manager who raises the bar.

Appointing such a man is such a no brainer and I am certain the board have been trying to do that. I get the feeling they are exhausted and wanted to get a sense of the fallout if they throw the towel in.

Keep the pressure on people... No Holden, no Cook... Thanks very much. Hughton, Mick, Frank, some other high profile coach and the fans will rally out and be very positive.

Why if Hughton is appointed it is blindingly obvious that revenue will increase. We're not going to a game anytime soon and given the uncertainty ST are not going to go through the roof with his appointment. I certainly don't see City releasing a lot of Hughton themed merchandise for purchase from the online shop so where is this additional revenue stream coming from. 

• Like 3
59 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That's all right then. SL can sell off Ashton Gate and we'll groundshare with the SAGS and appoint Guardiola on £30m with a £50m bonus if he gets us to the PL. 

Obviously one that’s available to us like oh I don’t know Chris Hughton . Just blindly backing the board 

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

How can you try to appoint the likes of Hughton and Gerrard, knowing they would command big money, then say actually we need to cut costs with a cheaper managerial appointment.

Absolute farce really, but hey - we're Bristol City so that's par for the course for us every 4-5 years or so.

1 minute ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Why if Hughton is appointed it is blindingly obvious that revenue will increase. We're not going to a game anytime soon and given the uncertainty ST are not going to go through the roof with his appointment. I certainly don't see City releasing a lot of Hughton themed merchandise for purchase from the online shop so where is this additional revenue stream coming from. 

If Hughton is appointed, I'd definitely consider getting a season ticket again (have had a 4 year break after 14 years with an ST).

If it's Holden - no ST.

If it's Cook - no ST.

I'm probably not alone in this feeling/opinion. So I'd suggest extra-revenue means extra ticket sales (when it's safe for us to all go back to AG).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn’t really sound like the ‘man to take us to the next level’ he was talking about. Zero credentials. That’ll take some justification. Holden would have to start the learning process from scratch, likely making costly mistakes that will see us keep falling short. Disappointed. If we rely on younger squad members it could undo all the hard work and see us regress 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

That would be the Tinnion appointment that many lauded at the time, until when it didn't work out the know it alls said the club got it the wrong way around and that Tinnion should have been Millens deputy. The fact is no on here has a clue how Holden will go given a preseason and a free hand for the season. There is no formula that tells you whether an ex player, whether good, bad or indifferent, will become a good manager. You have to give someone an opportunity and take it from there. 

We are a Championship football club not the Dog and Duck Reserves where you can give anyone a chance and it doesn’t really matter.

Fans can see that the benefactor if this club is taking an unnecessary and quite frankly irresponsible gamble and are right to have concerns.

That said, Holden has my full support and if we end up at the wrong end of the table next season then he won’t be copping flak from me. Mid table and decent football will do me for next season because that’s the maximum sensible limit that expectations are now being set at.

1 hour ago, Dredd said:

Let’s be honest, the meltdown here is completely the clubs own making. If they wanted Holden, they should have done it straight away. Sure there would have been some ‘cheap option’ comments but maybe more understandable based on COVID, but to take 5 weeks of radio silence with people getting more annoyed with being linked with quality managers only to end up with the assistant manager of a failed (already criticised) team, has lit the fire. 
I would expect the club to now move quickly to confirm whoever is going to be in charge even just to quieten down Jon Lansdowns twitter notifications 

This is what makes me 100% certain that this was never the club’s plan.

In my opinion we’ll have spoken to a load of managers who aren’t prepared to work under Ashton. I reckon he has final say on transfers and has all along while LJ was here. This will have become apparent in talks and the likes of Cook, Hughton etc. have taken one look at it and run a mile. Holden, meanwhile, is happy to wear it as this will make him wealthier than he could have dreamed of a couple of months ago and presents him with a fantastic opportunity to make a mark that he wouldn’t get at any other Championship club.

Yes finances are going to be hammered due to COVID but this has been apparent for months now and every other club will be in the same situation. If the conditions were right I have no doubt at all that the likes of Cook would have come here. I’m just starting to think that Ashton and Lansdown have been the problem all along, not Johnson or anyone else. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

Gregor is saying Cole Skuse. could be part of the coaches if dean gets the job. Come on city what on earth are we doing. we need experience not inexperience people.  i am begining to think getting rid of lee was a complete waste of time. 

There is absolutely no point in putting Holden in charge with a back room staff of Jamie Max, Skuse and Ashley Williams - he will need a experienced person for guidance 

I always try to support the club in their decisions probably in blind faith sometimes but this appointment and more so the process of the appointment has been awful to say the least (if of course is true) I could of been way more receptive to the appointment due the loss of revenue if it was done weeks ago. Because atleast then we could of hit the ground running on the transfer business. I would of been disappointed either way but I can't stop but feel abit pissed off.

I can't just switch off and say I won't support the club because I will. Dean will get a chance with me but if things don't go right there's a risk of a very ugly exit and a feeling of a missed opportunity that the board will have to take full responsibility for.

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

That’s how we roll. It’s happened with players also.

• Maesknoll Red changed the title to If we appoint Holden (Merged Threads)
  • TomF changed the title to Dean Holden (Merged)