Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, Chappers said:

If I held the purse strings, the Club was relying on my support to survive the COVID/ economic crisis and I thought it was the right decision, then yes. It’s not 95% it’s a small, vocal minority, made a lot worse by the hysterical garbage on here, and you know that if results are good, most will return.

Sorry I can’t join in this hysterical negativity, I’ll decide how good the new manager is after about half a season... If we even get that. 

There are two minorities in our fan base. One is the tell everyone I’m burning my season ticket because I can’t get my own way. The other, which you appear to be part of, is the let’s suck up to the benefactor and tell everyone that he gets nothing wrong brigade.

The majority of fans will be underwhelmed and disappointed with the appointment of Dean Holden but will carry on supporting the club.

Most will just take it on the chin although one or two that I know and who don’t post on here are considering measures like taking the pro rata refund on games missed next season if and when it’s offered, cancelling City Foundation membership and not spending at the ground (if we ever get there) as a small protest.

31 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t help but feel this has been leaked to press to be the medicine before the sugar (Cook) is administered. 

Not everyone is sold on Cook (I am) but after hearing we’re close to appointing DH, PC will be like us announcing Pep. 

As much as I hope we do employ Cook.

It would very callous of the club to actually do this. Holden at the end of the day is a person who is currently employed by the club. 

I would be more pissed off that it took 4/5 weeks to announce a manager linked with more experienced managers to go with Dean. If we come out and say we went with Dean because of Covid then you will have to question anything that comes out their mouths. As there are also more experienced managers at lower levels that would of been cheaper in Lowe or Flynn linked to us. 

What I’m hoping on is, punters are not interested in us and it only takes a few flutters to move the odds dramatically. 

Edited by RedorDead BCFC
29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I can’t help but feel this has been leaked to press to be the medicine before the sugar (Cook) is administered. 

Not everyone is sold on Cook (I am) but after hearing we’re close to appointing DH, PC will be like us announcing Pep. 

That’s what I’m wondering. So far it’s only Gregor reporting it. It’s possible the ‘manager negotiating his back room staff’ could mean Cook keeping Holden on as assistant. I think most would accept that.

• Like 1

I hope whoever gets the job does well and I’ve not seen anything that suggests any of the candidates are guaranteed success or failure.

I have no input into the selection process so have no choice but to trust in those who do, and they’ll see and learn a lot more about the candidates than I will and therefore are better placed to make the right appointment 

Will the appointment stop me going to watch City? No, Covid 19 will, and that’s probably a good thing in some ways as it allows the new manager play his team and prove his worth without the toxicity an angry crowd can bring - whoever gets it needs a chance

do I think our owner is part of the decision? Yes, of course. But do I think he’s choosing the cheap option? No, just look at his investment to date, in the scheme of things the difference between the cheapest and most expensive option is negligible, the appointment will be the best candidate in the opinion of the owner. A decision he has bought the right to make, and a decision he will finance.

Until I can sit in the ground and cheer (or boo) the new manager will get my full support

• Like 1

No argument from me. My first visit to Ashton Gate was in 1971, so I saw the glory years with awe and I watched the collapse with incredulity. When we were promoted to Division 1, it was the first time we'd been in the top flight for 65 years. I fear there may be another 65 year gap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Totally agree. I have now been going 62 years - sadly did not miss football when it was suspended, not surprising really as this past season has been a huge disappointment and one of the most unstimulating ever with so few memories of good goals, good games and even shots on goal - and predictabilitu. How we were ever in contention for the playoffs I will never know. 

Had great faith in LJ and sad to see him go but his management of his team this season has been so poor. 

Back to the poster - in total agreement - this, one felt, was City's greatest opportunity to attract a manager of real quality knowing that with the set up we have and not too much tinkering we could almost be guaranteed a play off place. 

The years are running out on me and think I'll be getting to the promised land before City. Very sad scenario when we are in the healthiest position we have ever been in. Talk of having hopes raised...if we fail to make the playoffs again this season we will lose supporters and the belief that the club was making progress! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

There are two minorities in our fan base. One is the tell everyone I’m burning my season ticket because I can’t get my own way. The other, which you appear to be part of, is the let’s suck up to the benefactor and tell everyone that he gets nothing wrong brigade.

The majority of fans will be underwhelmed and disappointed with the appointment of Dean Holden but will carry on supporting the club.

Most will just take it on the chin although one or two that I know and who don’t post on here are considering measures like taking the pro rata refund on games missed next season if and when it’s offered, cancelling City Foundation membership and not spending at the ground (if we ever get there) as a small protest.

Not sucking up, I just won’t join the baying mob on here and prepared to give the guy a chance. Whoever takes over will have to work mostly with existing squad, and there is so much uncertainty over next season in terms of finances and completion, that the internal appointment makes sense.

The Board know the candidates a whole lot better than a bunch of keyboard warriors (All competing time be the most outraged), and if they determine DH to be the best candidate, we have to accept it and support him.

Gove it a few months and there will be supporters up and down the Country just hoping their club can survive, plenty of people losing jobs and homes, a manager being appointed is not really anything to get worked up about. Nobody on here seems capable of even considering that he might actually be the right fit for the job.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Flames 1
5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I was impressed by lots of things.

• consistent use of a system
  • a coherent selection policy
  • patterns of play I’d not seen in 6-9 months
  • players happy to receive the ball in tight spots 
  • players able to play more than one role without it seeming to impact them, because it looked they knew the plan
  • willingness to give Vyner his head 
  • picking Benkovic / leaving out O’Dowda

God, it wasn’t perfect, but it was a damn site better than what I’d been watching under LJ.

Good for you, hope you find something fulfilling on Saturday afternoons.

All of it true. That said how much of that was down to how bad the last stretch under LJ was. Dean Holden’s 5 game stretch and tactics were ok. You can’t dismiss the quality of teams we played. You can also say pressure was off the players too. The sacking of LJ coincided with playoffs basically impossible. Point is, I am not so sure our form last 5 games was strictly down to DH. I won’t go as far as saying me and you could have gotten 8 points from those 5 but if DH quit because LJ was sacked, I don’t think Macca would have done worse. It was a good situation for anyone to take over

@TomThumb84 you may be a new poster here but take it from me who has been down the gate since 1958 (v Leyton Orient) you have an astute take on really what makes BCFC tick. It is sacrilige on this forum to criticise SL and yet, here we are again being the bridesmaids again. Well, I dont attend but a friend who goes to Senior Reds recalls when SL spoke at a luncheon just after Cotts took us up and he admitted he did not realise how much it was going to cost to keep us in the Championship. After all, he is an Accountant, they live by trying to keep the books balanced and certainly not by taking risks. He has bought real estate, yes that is what AG is, remember the days when it was the Home of BCFC, no longer, it is a beautiful stadium hosting Bristol Bears ( a Premiership Rugby Union team ) and Bristol City FC. Look at matchday's. No longer people drinking in local pubs but putting money into the Bristol Sport Coffers to sustain it with slightly !! higher prices for the fayre on offer. Yes, SL has made AG into a fantastic model for any aspiring club throughout the land and its Net worth in £££££'s has probably gone through the roof but what about why we go there ?????

We go there because we LOVE Bristol City, for Gods sake, 62 years going to AG, I must love them. But this is where it ends. I am sorry, but MA is a Salesman, look at other references to when he was at Watford. He has wrought himself so much power at AG that it may take a Crow Bar to get him out. Yes he's made transfer money for SL but at what cost. Look last night. Joe and Bobby back in the prem in White NOT RED shirts. It is beginning to look like we will make a non descript appointment as Head Coach and for people like me who really thought that when the new look Ashton Gate was finished, and Pat Lam made Head for the Bears, we would follow suit. Sadly like @Sweeneys Penalties, I think it will be a few more years eating humble pie and gazing in awe as other teams pass us by because we have an owner who will not bend on his policies of recruiting the best to lead us forward. I expect this will upset some but you cannot support a team for as long as some of us have and not see past the Emperors New Clothes !!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Flames 1
10 hours ago, Chappers said:

Yeah, children moaning on the internet and competing to be the most outraged, whilst most intelligent fans accept the decision and move on.

We often berate Cardiff and Rovers fans for ‘lying down and taking it’. Whilst I wouldn’t have done the bedsheet thing, I understand where its coming from. The club leaked to Gregor, perhaps to test the waters, and this is the waters having been tested. Wouldnt have done it but ‘ti. Pot’ and ‘embarrassing are probably over reactions of their own. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

We often berate Cardiff and Rovers fans for ‘lying down and taking it’. Whilst I wouldn’t have done the bedsheet thing, I understand where its coming from. The club leaked to Gregor, perhaps to test the waters, and this is the waters having been tested. Wouldnt have done it but ‘ti. Pot’ and ‘embarrassing are probably over reactions of their own. 

Sorry mate but Dean Holden is an employee of Bristol City FC, I do not believe the club would leak his name to a journalist to establish fans reaction. That is totally unacceptable and unprofessional. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

I don't believe I've twisted my own words but that's your opinion and your entitled to it. I've stated all the way along that Holden wouldn't be my choice. I just don't subscribe to the view that his appointment would be a guaranteed disaster or that Hughton for example would bring guaranteed success. Personally I've come round to the idea that Cook would be the best choice. 

We all know that all manager appointments contain risks. In normal circumstances appointing someone with a proven track record would appear the sensible choice. But these are not normal circumstances. There are no supporters in grounds so other than season tickets already purchased (such as mine) there is no major revenue stream. More so than ever then in weighing up the options account has to be taken of the state of the finances for the season ahead. I have no idea what the demands of any of the candidates are and what is deemed affordable but as I have no direct influence, whether I like it or not, I have to trust in the process that provides us with a manager that the club feel can take us forward whilst ensuring in these straightened times that I still have a club to support in the years ahead. If Holden represents that then so be it. I honestly believe that English football will be very lucky if all of the current clubs in the EFL survive next season. 

I agree with everything you say here. My point stands though which does bug me. 
That’s Lansdown’s statement  of intent ramped up peoples expectations. He’s created this backlash himself by whats he’s said. If he’d said.

We decided to part ways with lee because it wasn’t working but dean Holden is a bright young coach to take us in a different direction with his own ideas . In these uncertain times we need to make use more than  ever Of the academy etc etc, there would not have been this uproar. 
I don’t expect the club to comment every step of the way at all , but they’ve handled this really poorly imo . 

• Like 3
6 hours ago, TomThumb84 said:

So, as unpopular as it is, City may be on the verge of making  possibly the most dissatisfying and underwhelming appointment of my lifetime? Why? Not because Dean Holden couldn’t do the job, if (and when) he is appointed he may be brilliant success, and I’ll wish him well, but, because, he’s not what was suggested, sign-posted, intimated or promised. It’s a customer/consumer world and trust is king. People have long memories and the words of Steve Lansdown and also the now diluted patter of Mark Ashton are on record re: proven guys/next level etc....

If it is Holden, how can that justifiably be a step forward from the previous regime, that he was not just a bit-player In, but a major part?;

Do I think this is unexpected? Nope. We have a habit of doing the same thing when we are in touching distance of the top level. Never more so than now.

The Lansdown era will perhaps be the period of time that will be remembered  by City owing him so much and not being able to do without the guy, but also being the man who couldn’t push us on despite his backing and therefore holding us back more than ever. 

Anyway I may make 5 posts before I’ve had enough but that’s my bit! 

x

You’ve supported City for 35 years.  You’ve therefore seen Russell Osman appointed, Tony Pulis in 1999 and, worst of all, Tony Fawthrop in 2000.  That was the most astonishing appointment in our managerial history, and one that had to be almost automatically rescinded in bizarre circumstances.

Dean Holden’s appointment would surely be more interesting than these!

7 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

I agree with everything you say here. My point stands though which does bug me. 
That’s Lansdown’s statement  of intent ramped up peoples expectations. He’s created this backlash himself by whats he’s said. If he’d said.

We decided to part ways with lee because it wasn’t working but dean Holden is a bright young coach to take us in a different direction with his own ideas . In these uncertain times we need to make use more than  ever Of the academy etc etc, there would not have been this uproar. 
I don’t expect the club to comment every step of the way at all , but they’ve handled this really poorly imo . 

I don’t agree the club has to comment on every media story but it does appear we made a move for Gerrard and were willing to pay a significant salary to him (most media outlets were reporting this) if this was not true then I believe the club should have said we’re not interested in him. As for Hughton, Cook , Neil etc that’s pure speculation and I don’t believe the club should comment on this 

14 minutes ago, daored said:

Sorry mate but Dean Holden is an employee of Bristol City FC, I do not believe the club would leak his name to a journalist to establish fans reaction. That is totally unacceptable and unprofessional. 

Totally unacceptable and unprofessional it may well be but I wouldn’t put it past the board. The fact Dean Holden is even being considered speaks volumes about what they think to be acceptable and professional in itself..

2 minutes ago, daored said:

I don’t agree the club has to comment on every media story but it does appear we made a move for Gerrard and were willing to pay a significant salary to him (most media outlets were reporting this) if this was not true then I believe the club should have said we’re not interested in him. As for Hughton, Cook , Neil etc that’s pure speculation and I don’t believe the club should comment on this 

I did say , they shouldn’t comment on everything. It seems pretty common knowledge by the media outlets that broke the news Hughton had the job that he was spoken to. As I said SL has done more harm than good in what he said. 

• Like 1
Just now, bris red said:

Totally unacceptable and unprofessional it may well be but I wouldn’t put it past the board. The fact Dean Holden is even being considered speaks volumes about what they think to be acceptable and professional in itself..

There’s a difference between an opinion of whether Holden is suitable for the role - that’s subjective. 
To put an existing employees name out to local media to gage fans opinion is unacceptable and unprofessional. There are ways to gage fans views - we have a supporters liaison officer , we have a supporters trust - opinion could be taken from these privately 

As @Red-Robbo said a page or two ago, I have no idea why people think our club is suddenly competent enough to be capable of some intricate and devious scheme to temper fan expectations.

I'd guess that the people Gregor talks to are probably speculating as we are, especially when he said the players haven't even been told yet. There are probably rumours and misinformation flying around the staff at the club as much as there is on here!

Looking back as his tweet he basically says "Holden still in the mix" and "back room staff being discussed" - and that's about it from what I can see. I still remain hopeful we'll end up with at least Cook.

Edited by IAmNick
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

He’s spending time with the Johnsons ?

No, he's spending time with that Paul fella, Mark Ashton and his missus, and that German chap. The Cook, the Chief, his wife and Herr lover.

It should be Holden. All this let’s offer Hughton Gerrard Cook etc whatever they want is madness. City like everyone else will have to reign finances and expectations in a bit. Look at Wigan and Wednesday Bury Bolton and Macclesfield. Is that the future?

City of all clubs, remember the 80s, should tread warily.

The Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels has hit the buffers.

• TomF changed the title to Dean Holden (Merged)