Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

That’s what I’m wondering. So far it’s only Gregor reporting it. It’s possible the ‘manager negotiating his back room staff’ could mean Cook keeping Holden on as assistant. I think most would accept that.

Gregor will be the only one reporting because it’s a nothing club hiring a nothing manager 😂

If they wanted the worlds media to sit up and take note at us appointing Gerrard, it’s going to be disappointing for them when nobody in media cares about Holden getting it.

1 hour ago, Del Griffith said:

It should be Holden. All this let’s offer Hughton Gerrard Cook etc whatever they want is madness. City like everyone else will have to reign finances and expectations in a bit. Look at Wigan and Wednesday Bury Bolton and Macclesfield. Is that the future?

City of all clubs, remember the 80s, should tread warily.

The Gravy Train with Biscuit Wheels has hit the buffers.

They're all examples of clubs that were badly run before Covid 

We were reportedly offering Gerrard £50k pw four weeks ago, that is not evidence of a club planning on pulling in their finances 

(Ps love the username)

54 minutes ago, Rocky said:

He's leaving the club?  hope not.

Imagine the reaction if the club appointed Holden and fired Murray as part of the shake up! 😵

City are linked with Gerrard we are prepared to offer 50k a week to take us to the next level. 

Chris Hughton has said he would like to manage us and has 2 promotions out of this league. Paul Cook was known to be interested and would have led a Wigan team to one place behind us in the table if the EFL weren't cruel and decide Wigan should be relegated but Sheffield Wednesday for breaking the rules their punishment is next season. 

Instead we go to Dean Holden a man whose record as a manager is 20 games 5 wins 7 draws and 8 defeats. I'm sure he is a lovely chap but to me he is not the manager to take us the next level if Holden is appointed it doesn't even feel like a step sideways it feels like a step back. 

• Like 2
  • Robin 1
40 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It’s not just salary though, is it?  That’s just a small part of it. The real issue will be the extent to which managerial candidates would be prepared to work within whatever budget Steve Lansdown is going to set.  If Steve is saying that because of Covid 19 it would be unwise to spend mega bucks on transfer fees, then it makes absolute sense to make an internal appointment, someone who is already familiar with the club and knows the young players.  I suspect the likes of Hughton and Cook would want to build their own squads, which would create turbulence and cost an awful lot of money.

The more I think about it, the more all this is beginning to make sense, in the context of the pandemic.  Maybe we just need to start thinking differently about football for the immediate future.

That’s exactly the point I made at the end of my post. A new coach may have to work with a small budget, but there are plenty of experienced managers / coaches who have done this successfully in the past - Mick McCarthy etc. Why go for Holden when you can get someone better who would work under the budgetary constraints set by SL?

Frank Schmidt appearing in the betting at 25/1 which probably means very little.  I know little about him other than he has performed wonders with Heidenhelm (his birth place) and is the longest serving manager in the German leagues. 

Saw this quote on him "Although his own person, Schmidt shares the social competence that Jürgen Klopp is a master of. He has recognized that so long as the effort is right he knows that for many on-lookers in Heidenheim it doesn't matter how the team plays."

It's odd that there has been no announcement if Dean Holden is going to be appointed unless they are waiting for him to complete his holiday. That doesn't sound very credible though.

43 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

It’s not just salary though, is it?  That’s just a small part of it. The real issue will be the extent to which managerial candidates would be prepared to work within whatever budget Steve Lansdown is going to set.  If Steve is saying that because of Covid 19 it would be unwise to spend mega bucks on transfer fees, then it makes absolute sense to make an internal appointment, someone who is already familiar with the club and knows the young players.  I suspect the likes of Hughton and Cook would want to build their own squads, which would create turbulence and cost an awful lot of money.

The more I think about it, the more all this is beginning to make sense, in the context of the pandemic.  Maybe we just need to start thinking differently about football for the immediate future.

Then why did lansdown talk a few weeks back about an appointment to take us to the next level. Why also did we waste 3 weeks chasing Gerrard. Whilst I’m at it what in gods name was the point in sacking lee Johnson then!!!???? What have we been doing for the past month? Baffling 😡

2 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Then why did lansdown talk a few weeks back about an appointment to take us to the next level. Why also did we waste 3 weeks chasing Gerrard. Whilst I’m at it what in gods name was the point in sacking lee Johnson then!!!???? What have we been doing for the past month? Baffling 😡

Did we chase Gerrard for three weeks?  I wouldn’t be so sure about that...

33 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Tbf, I wouldn't say the club has never been in a better place. Yes, we have a decent stadium, we have a new training ground (building looks huge, passed by yesterday) and good owners unlike a lot of others. In that respect, all good.

But we're in the middle of a global pandemic with the season interrupted and prolonged, no spectators allowed, and losing millions which will undoubtedly have a big negative effect on how the club operates moving forward. That must have a bearing on who comes in as the new manager - both the club and the new bloke need to be realistic and take the above into account. Not to say that they shouldn't go for the best they can get, just that the best may be out of reach at this time. Just my opinion, others more qualified to talk about the financial impact may disagree.

Having said that, I hope Hughton is appointed (but its looking doubtful imo).

Hi and thanks for the reply, I completely take your points re: the pandemic and the unknown that it brings with it into the near future, however, financial security, for a football club run the right way, surely comes from the lifeblood of the club which is the supporters and footfall through the ground and in turn the associated products/merchandise etc?

If this forum and social media is an indicator (appreciate that’s a small % of our fan base) in any way of the feeling regarding the rumoured appointment of Holden, then when (and it will be when) we can return to watching football as we know it, it does not look like an enthused, passionate and motivated group of Reds will make that extra effort to prioritise the trip to Ashton Gate.

My point being, this was a great time to appoint someone who captured an imagination and we were poised to make that next step. This is what we were told, and not just some pie in the sky wishful thinking.

I struggle to find any sense in the appointment of Holden other than familiarity with the current regime and a willingness to work within it, especially based on, and again, at risk of repeating myself, what we were told the club was looking for and the criteria set out those long four and a half weeks ago.

• Like 1

It must be a very strange holiday for the Holden household. He knows that when he returns he will either be appointed head coach (controversially!) or could very likely be sacked. How do you switch off and enjoy yourself?!

• Like 2

We all want Hughton but we have something called COVID at the moment, income will  be drastically reduced. It’s SL’s call, a tough decision to be made. I just can’t understand some of the very negative comments & hysterics on this Forum, very sad. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Did we chase Gerrard for three weeks?  I wouldn’t be so sure about that...

Whatever we were doing we wasted 3 weeks.

it only takes a week or two to hire a manager as you should be sounding out and carrying out basic due diligence when you know the current incumbent is on thin ice.

this whole process has been an embarrassment.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

Interesting change of tack from Gregor, given the appallingly sycophantic nonsense that he was punting yesterday.

Why do I hear Hughton and Cook singing ‘ I am in the phone booth it’s the one across the hall ‘ ?

I've been trying to remain objective with this dreadful last few weeks and before that months of abject viewing. Then there's the austerity, FFP, COVID, what's the new normal etc, etc.

However, whichever way one looks at this situation, Holden can't be the best candidate for the job. He just can't be. Factor in everything we know and he still can't be.

If or when he is announced as the new Head Coach or Manager. We as City fans will go in to meltdown even though we won't be surprised at the ineptitude of a 5 week process to come to this conclusion. Opportunity has been knocking very loudly but the club have got their ear plugs in.

So the cycle goes again i.e. selling our best players and bringing in many others which may or may not make it as 'ones for the future'. If we as fans are under any illusion of City being an established Championship side then think again. This division is savage and is no place for the faint hearted. It certainly is no place for an unproven group being led by an unproven cone collector. 

If Holden gets the job, at what point do our glorious leadership think OMG we are in the sh!te and our experiment has gone wrong. Then what? The process starts again and we can't wait 5 weeks during the season to appoint the right candidate. The time was right weeks ago and if this opportunity has been missed then I feel this will be a defining period in our history.

Whatever the reason given for appointing Holden. In my opinion, I can't see it being anything other than financial. Before anyone rattles on about FFP. City can afford a good appointment and certainly a more suitable one than Holden.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 2015 said:

Gregor MacGregor sounding more and more like he hasn't got a bloody clue. One minute Holden is imminent and the next two others are still waiting. 

Yes he has totally wound back the story and back tracked. He probably saw the reaction to his first tweet on here and other places.

9 minutes ago, Bcfcbackwell said:

We all want Hughton but we have something called COVID at the moment, income will  be drastically reduced. It’s SL’s call, a tough decision to be made. I just can’t understand some of the very negative comments & hysterics on this Forum, very sad. 

Explain how we were offering Gerrard £50k pw then?

Covid is far too easy an excuse to be using

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Not sucking up, I just won’t join the baying mob on here and prepared to give the guy a chance. Whoever takes over will have to work mostly with existing squad, and there is so much uncertainty over next season in terms of finances and completion, that the internal appointment makes sense.

The Board know the candidates a whole lot better than a bunch of keyboard warriors (All competing time be the most outraged), and if they determine DH to be the best candidate, we have to accept it and support him.

Gove it a few months and there will be supporters up and down the Country just hoping their club can survive, plenty of people losing jobs and homes, a manager being appointed is not really anything to get worked up about. Nobody on here seems capable of even considering that he might actually be the right fit for the job.

There is a small “outraged”  baying mob as you say but the majority are saying the same things - will be disappointed but will support Holden as there is no”blame” to be apportioned on his part. Those people are entitled to question the decision that looks like being made in return for their small cash injection into the club each season whether it makes a shred of difference or not.

Bar one or two who just want to be right we all hope that Dean smashes it if he gets the job irrespective of whether we support the decision.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

Yes he has totally wound back the story and back tracked. He probably saw the reaction to his first tweet on here and other places.

He said something about an overreaction to his tweet, but also apologised for his part in it.

• Like 1

I can't imagine SL going for Holden after the fans reaction....it's like buying the wife a 2 bedroom flat in Fishponds rather than a 3 bedroom house in Clifton.....would you want 10 years of grief and moaning! 

Just now, Dynamite Red said:

So Cook has been ruled out and looks to be a straight choice between Hughton and Holden. How anyone can come down on the side of Holden I will never know. 

££££

1 hour ago, Rocky said:

I'm not sure that was how it was reported.  It stated Holden is on holiday this week but nothing about this is the reason things are delayed?  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

The 40-year-old former Bolton Wanderers defender is on a short family break this week holding up any official announcement currently, though that could be completed in the next days upon return.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/bristol-city-leaning-towards-dean-4393484

• Like 1
  • TomF changed the title to Dean Holden (Merged)