Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 minutes ago, milo1111 said:

Totally agree. The more I think about it Alex Neil would be perfect for us but would he work under Ashton. Probably not. Which is why we’ll end up with Holden.

Any reason you say this? He’s used to having players sold regularly and doesn’t get much of an option who to bring in because of finances, moving to us he essentially works the same system with a higher budget and players Preston can’t afford 

5 hours ago, IAmNick said:

Yeah. I'm increasingly wondering if MA / JL went into the interviews, wide eyed and bushy tailed showing off the club, what they've put in place, and setting out their red lines for what they see as a well run and modern club.

A load of managers applied, saw the above, and basically baulked or weren't interested as a result.

The club now either have to appoint the one man they know will slot in to exactly what they want - Holden, or take it on the chin, and go back tail between their legs to a previous candidate who wasn't as enamoured by the Mark Ashton Bristol City show and agree to make some serious concessions in order to get them.

Tough choice! Stuck between a rock and a hard place perhaps.

I said before SL regarded BCFC as his own little toy (So many of you had a spare aubergine handy.)

But it would seem he still does, so I agree 100% with you.

The interview process consisted of SL shouting "JUMP!" without warning to the candidate.

MA then asked "how high?" to JL.

JL measured the height.

Holden is currently winning.

Hughton might have another go, but his hips a bit sore, and Gerrard via Wasserman told SL he'd do a "DJ intro" on him if he pulled that crap!

A couple of hopeful sycophants are waiting for another go. Cook might,Flynn will, but Dean "same as it ever was"  Holden is currently leading the "jumps the highest when told to"  interview test.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s a silly straw man argument. No one is saying it’s impossible, just far more likely with a proven operator like Hughton.

Also, Fulham have a much stronger squad with whom you’d expect promotion.

Agree.

If you were going for surgery and you had the choice of 2 sugeons.

1 is older, regarded by everyone you speak to as a safe pair of hands, been there done it etc

1 is younger and regarded as someone who will make a great surgeon one day, but currently lacking experience.

Why one do you place your trust in?

Same arguements as here.  But ultimateley I would suspect the majority would choose the experienced surgeon.  The one with the track record.

Because history tends to repeat itself.

• Like 3
  • Flames 1

Everyone talking about blaming Covid for the reason to look at Holden rather than others is clutching. 

At the moment the government have halted the removal of restrictions on some sort of crowds by 2 weeks not 2 months. So at the moment sport is only 2 weeks behind schedule. 

It has also been rumoured that even if they allow fans back it will be reduced numbers. This has been talked about for months. At restricted capacity we have already sold ST that cover that. So in that respect nothing has changed since June to now. 

Until the crowds are allowed back the clubs will offer their live streams. These live streams selling to the UK also had people buying £10 viewings who would not of gone a game in the first place. I know a few who done this themselves. Which increases some revenue to the club.  

All football managers would know themselves about Covid, it has been on the news everyday. They themselves would know that their spending power will be reduced so would lower their expectations. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, Bobbie said:

The fact people are so overly annoyed about this actually makes me want it to happen. Hearing grown men so desperate for a ‘big name’ manager. Get a life. It’s really not that important. I’ll be watching city home and away for the laughs and the beers. I couldn’t really give a flying **** who our manger is 

You’re missing the point a bit, it is not necessarily a ‘  big name ‘ manager that people crave but a sign that the club really want promotion to the Prem as they said.

Appointing the number two of a head coach who ultimately ‘ couldn’t get us over the line ‘ - Steve Lansdown,  does not look like that sign.

It looks more like a huge missed opportunity and a kick in the teeth for those who believed. 

The  communication from the club is very poor and alienating the supporters and quite possibly the players and staff at the club.

BCFC can do nothing about the pandemic and the disastrous drop in revenue but they can do something about managing expectations honestly. 

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

You’re missing the point a bit, it is not necessarily a ‘  big name ‘ manager that people crave but a sign that the club really want promotion to the Prem as they said.

Appointing the number two of a head coach who ultimately ‘ couldn’t get us over the line ‘ - Steve Lansdown,  does not look like that sign.

It looks more like a huge missed opportunity and a kick in the teeth for those who believed. 

The  communication from the club is very poor and alienating the supporters and quite possibly the players and staff at the club.

BCFC can do nothing about the pandemic and the disastrous drop in revenue but they can do something about managing expectations honestly. 

Agree totally Major.

Would also add that there are players (Kory, Williams) who are waiting to be informed if they get a new contract?

There are players with 1 year left on their contract (Fam and Elisason) who are big players and could generate big money for the club.  Do you keep or sell?  Will they only sign once they know the new manager?

Then who to sign in the short window?  Will a new manager attract some players, will some previously interested players now pass once the manager is known?

Finally, there is the small matter of pre season training.   Would seem very odd (given MAs previous statements) to not have a new manager in place when training resumes.

All in all kinda feels that City will be playing catch up this season

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Agree.

If you were going for surgery and you had the choice of 2 sugeons.

1 is older, regarded by everyone you speak to as a safe pair of hands, been there done it etc

1 is younger and regarded as someone who will make a great surgeon one day, but currently lacking experience.

Why one do you place your trust in?

Same arguements as here.  But ultimateley I would suspect the majority would choose the experienced surgeon.  The one with the track record.

Because history tends to repeat itself.

Like we did with Johnson, he was supposed to bright young manager who would take us places, though I, as was other people, never convinced by him, tried to be too clever, never knew best formation, team or tactics, when he got it right, it was because he stumbled on by chance, had no choice because of injuries.I came away from his games in charge, more often than not, not with the feeling of wow what a performance, but with a feeling of that was only ok, or we scraped by in that.

Feel it would be same under Holden, maybe bright manager, who could take us places in the future, but do we need a maybe? Or do we need to reduce the odds.After the recent times we’ve all had, we all need a lift and something positive, If Holden was put in charge, I would certainly be tempted to put a bet on, that he would be gone in a year.

• Thanks 2
3 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Agree totally Major.

Would also add that there are players (Kory, Williams) who are waiting to be informed if they get a new contract?

There are players with 1 year left on their contract (Fam and Elisason) who are big players and could generate big money for the club.  Do you keep or sell?  Will they only sign once they know the new manager?

Then who to sign in the short window?  Will a new manager attract some players, will some previously interested players now pass once the manager is known?

Finally, there is the small matter of pre season training.   Would seem very odd (given MAs previous statements) to not have a new manager in place when training resumes.

All in all kinda feels that City will be playing catch up this season

I agree with most of that but short window? It's open for another two months. Very unsettling to think that Fammy and Nic could be sold as late as October 16th.

3 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

If this actually happens I can’t even imagine the uproar it will cause, think there will be more then just bedsheets up on the fence 

You don’t mean ... duvets???

Actually, for all,the angst and torment on this forum, I think you’ll find that the average City fan will get get on with life, accept the fact of whatever appointment is made, and see how things turn out.  In the last few years people have had to accept Trump, Brexit, Johnson and Coronavirus; I’m sure Bristol City fans can cope with a disappointing managerial appointment without collectively opening a vein.  There are a lot worse things that could be happening.

• Like 8
5 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Actually, for all,the angst and torment on this forum, I think you’ll find that the average City fan will get get on with life, accept the fact of whatever appointment is made, and see how things turn out.  In the last few years people have had to accept Trump, Brexit, Johnson and Coronavirus; I’m sure Bristol City fans can cope with a disappointing managerial appointment without collectively opening a vein.  There are a lot worse things that could be happening.

People won’t open a vein but, if City lose first three games, the following is possible

Big name is coach people think “it will take a while for the to get used to his methods, I will stick with it, he has a track record, I will buy the new shirt”.  

DH is coach, people think “DH is out of his depth, team is suffering because of SL vanity, he’s not getting my new shirt money”.

All subjective of course, but then, most things are  

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

And that is why the club always shit on us

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, !james said:

Genuine question, what type of uproar are you expecting? 

Uproar as in twitter (if you have it) is non stop slating the board and Gregor atm, I can expect that to get a lot worse if this is actually happening, as well as thousands of people not bothering with season tickets and pressure being on Holden straight from the off, this appointment has too many cons compared to pros and when Hughton’s there waiting for a phone call and to go with Holden is embarrassing 

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

If this actually happens I can’t even imagine the uproar it will cause, think there will be more then just bedsheets up on the fence 

Maybe on here. In the real world people might mutter their disappointment to some mates and then get on with supporting their club. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

That’s why nothing will change, we’ve been told premier league is the ambition and we’re employing a manager to take us to the next level...we then end up with Dean Holden who was assistant to LJ who failed aswell as play some of the worst football I’ve saw down Ashton Gate

Just now, Southport Red said:

People won’t open a vein but, if City lose first three games, the following is possible

Big name is coach people think “it will take a while for the to get used to his methods, I will stick with it, he has a track record, I will buy the new shirt”.  

DH is coach, people think “DH is out of his depth, team is suffering because of SL vanity, he’s not getting my new shirt money”.

All subjective of course, but then, most things are  

Yes, I agree that if things go badly there will be a collective reaction, but not the mass revolt that some are suggesting.  But the club’s explanation of any appointment is going to be very interesting and will shed light on the thinking behind it, and then we will need to give whoever gets the job a decent chance to make a success of it (more than three games).  But next season is clearly going to be no ordinary season and for many clubs survival may be more of an issue than promotion.  I see no reason to think that appointing Holden would be any more disastrous than, for instance, appointing Keith Millen, who actually did quite well in his first season, and I suspect that there will be clubs with more problems than us who will struggle more than we will.

5 minutes ago, kevster3 said:

And that is why the club always shit on us

“They always shit on us”?  Really?  I’ve quite enjoyed the last few seasons and have been impressed by just how much the club has been prepared to invest.  Maybe I’m out of step with the majority, but I certainly don’t feel shat  on, and I most certainly don’t feel always shat on.  I’ve spent my life supporting City and I’m very happy to continue doing so.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1
5 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

More ‘Death of a thousand cuts’ as apathy/antipathy sets in, rather than uproar. 

This is exactly what happens. We can all only speak for ourselves. I might go to 30/40 games in a season - or far less...it's a long trek. I watched just 1 in the whole of SOD's tenure so uninspiring was the offer (fortunately it was the Rovers match).

The number of virtue signalling posters always surprises me. 

'I'm a super-fan...look at me!'

13 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The problem with this potential appointment is not the appointment itself but the reaction once people have seen how things turn out, if things have clearly turned out badly.

I think you may be underestimating the reaction in the 2021-22 season unless Dean hits the ground running. You’ve got to remember that a large percentage of people will have a lot less disposable income when the next round of season ticket sales occurs.

This is an unnecessary gamble by the three wise men in my view and one I believe will bite them in the arse over time. Such an appointment will show firmly what type of club we are and if the owner doesn’t give a toss don’t expect the fans to give a toss either.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Lrrr said:

Any reason you say this? He’s used to having players sold regularly and doesn’t get much of an option who to bring in because of finances, moving to us he essentially works the same system with a higher budget and players Preston can’t afford 

Because I suspect even though he hasn’t got much of a budget he at least gets the final say on who comes in as long as they are cheap and the Preston board are willing to fund it.

Here I don’t think the manager gets the final say on incomings. Far from it. Even LJ hinted at it this season.