Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1,100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

And we would all happily come back and apologise 

not gonna happen though is it 

Says who?!

Fans are right to be unhappy because its a massive risk we do not need to take.

But no one knows if he'll be a good manager or not. Its all guesswork at this point

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really hope the Holden takes us up and some of the posters on this thread look back at it and apologise for being utterly embarrassing..! 

How is it embarrassing people care about the club and how it is run? 
 

Appointing DH is like doing a 10 team accumulator. You can rationalise it and hell it can come in but in reality you lose over 99% of the time. DH would be a massive gamble that can undo all the good work the club has done these past 5 years establishing itself in the championship in the span of 8 months. 
 

People spend a lot of time talking and thinking about city on top of the money they spend on following it. They get told we want to go further with out next appointment then 5 weeks later we are left with Dean Holden being odds on To take over. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Abingdon Red said:

I've reached the point where I dont care any more, just appoint someone who will get the team to play better football and who will give the academy players much more first team opportunities and I'll be happy.

Then I'm not sure you are going to be happy.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chappers said:

Apologies for adding reality into the debate. So obvious really, you just carry on spending money even though there is no indication of when there will be be any customer income, or how long it will last, or even whether there will actually be a full season.

 

I’m sure Chris Hughton would be realistic too and would not expect the kind of deal he might have pre COVID..  Holden won’t get us out of this division, not up anyway.. if promotion really remains the dream then what’s the point of throwing the anchor out?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really hope the Holden takes us up and some of the posters on this thread look back at it and apologise for being utterly embarrassing..! 

As the old saying goes, “wish in one hand and shot in the other, and see which one fills up first!”

The idea of Holden taking us up is about as far from reality as it’s possible to get right now. Of course it could happen, but what evidence have you seen that he’s remotely qualified for the job? I’ve seen none. 

People said LJ was unqualified, and if that was true, what on earth does it make Holden? 

Edited by BRISTOL86
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Apologies for adding reality into the debate. So obvious really, you just carry on spending money even though there is no indication of when there will be be any customer income, or how long it will last, or even whether there will actually be a full season.

 

Reality is the club will lose more money and support if relegated. Getting the right manager/hc can earn you money by getting more out of the playing staff. Hiring DH makes 0 sense. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mike Hunt-Hertz said:

Steady on...it's not quite that bad.

How come i cant find the aubergines thingy. Who ever stated LJ back needs to be locked up 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I do not believe it is fair or realistic to ignore the fact that Lee's very best players were sold and that, on top of that, injuries were a huge problem.

Constant chopping and changing of team selection, not knowing best formation, strange substitutions, marginalising certain players without reason, publicly shaming players to the media, not taking responsibility for failure, signing players and not using them, direct and scrappy football, inability of team to create chances, a four game losing streak with a fully fit squad...

I don't think you've got that all covered Bat.

  • Flames 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Again, you have completely misunderstood or misread the post.

No point in debating something that is in your head but not in my post 

You'll always have the usual  entitled types with complete lack of perspective who go over the top, but they are always in the vast minority as they are in society thank God. They're just mouthy gobshites who will be enjoying this, nothing more than that.

^ That was your post

Is this you or another poster then? Seems like an indirect dig at vocal supporters on OTIB, social media who don't agree with the potential appointment of Dean Holden. 
But of course, i've misunderstood...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Riaz said:

Says who?!

Fans are right to be unhappy because its a massive risk we do not need to take.

But no one knows if he'll be a good manager or not. Its all guesswork at this point

Riaz....I was right about Lee Johnson, and the majority of us will be right about Holden 

Just won’t happen mate. 100%

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

How about people give him a chance before putting him down as the wrong choice..? 

The anger isn't aimed at holden why do you refuse to understand this?

The anger is aimed at the lansdowns and ashton for leading us down the garden path, for lying about the type of manager we had applying and for stringing the fan base along and allow this anger to fester by the wall of silence

This is then amplified by the moronic social media team posting click bait tweet increasing the anger further,

No wants holden to fail, no one,

They want the club to be run professionally,

The last 2 transfer windows and now this has shown them anything but,

People are fed up of the bullshit being spouted by ashton and lansdown Jr 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Because of how it’s been handled. If the club sacked LJ and were totally upfront about it citing cost cutting - then appointing Holden immediately, people might understand.

The way they’ve taken so long, raised expectation and dithered about it has angered fans. 

If/when he’s appointed - people will obviously get behind the team. But it’s totally right that this appointment is scrutinised and criticised after the way it’s been handled.

Spot on, if DH was a possible replacement to LJ in the Clubs eyes then surely they should have interviewed him ASAP after LJ went and got him in ASAP to help with continuity, building for next season etc.

To take 5/6 weeks to appoint somebody you already had at the club is ridiculous, and I can see why fans have lost it.  

I don’t think anyone has anything against DH personally and if appointed straight away with reasons of cost cutting or Covid or whatever then at least you could understand it, but SL can’t now say he wants Prem football, interview the likes of Hughton supposedly, and after all of that say DH was the best candidate, I don’t buy it as it makes no sense based on experience and achievements in the game.

So hopefully IF they appoint DH they are honest about the reasons it was him but I doubt it.

As others have said, it seems SL is happy to spend his $$$$ on players but not the manager, like buying fancy Alloys but you don’t have a steering wheel!  Again makes no sense at all.

Nobody wanted LJ and in fairness he did well in his time, established the club etc etc so to take the next step you need someone who’s done it before IMO, not someone with even less experience than your last manager, where is the logic?  Nice guy or not, DH is a huge gamble for the club to take.  This is the first I can remember a new manager actually being in a good place to start the season ie. not coming in to fight relegation, And with DH IMO we are not taking the opportunity.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr Hankey said:

Sorry, i meant closer as in when we got back to the Championship under Cotts & all the talk of the Prem being the next step.

That's possibly a fairer point, I dont know what went wrong with Cotts but from where we were when he left we're closer. Every season since we've been in the hunt for the playoffs until the last few games - although most of us agree that LJ couldnt get us over that line for whatever reason and those end of season games were disappointing.

On paper, we had a very good chance of making play offs when the league restarted. This season is the most disappointing for me

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I really hope the Holden takes us up and some of the posters on this thread look back at it and apologise for being utterly embarrassing..! 

You’ve unwittingly hit the nail in the head. A club that has worked its way into a position over a number of years where the EXPECTATION of the owner himself is to be play off challenging is potentially replacing that expectation  with HOPE.
 

We HOPE that Dean hits the ground running and we HOPE the kids can cut the mustard. What is the logic behind such a shift in policy? When LJ was sacked none of this shift in policy was coming out of Lansdowns gob on the radio, it was the opposite.

Supporters paying their hard earned are entitled to ask the question aren’t they?

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Spot on, if DH was a possible replacement to LJ in the Clubs eyes then surely they should have interviewed him ASAP after LJ went and got him in ASAP to help with continuity, building for next season etc.

To take 5/6 weeks to appoint somebody you already had at the club is ridiculous, and I can see why fans have lost it.  

I don’t think anyone has anything against DH personally and if appointed straight away with reasons of cost cutting or Covid or whatever then at least you could understand it, but SL can’t now say he wants Prem football, interview the likes of Hughton supposedly, and after all of that say DH was the best candidate, I don’t buy it as it makes no sense based on experience and achievements in the game.

So hopefully IF they appoint DH they are honest about the reasons it was him but I doubt it.

As others have said, it seems SL is happy to spend his $$$$ on players but not the manager, like buying fancy Alloys but you don’t have a steering wheel!  Again makes no sense at all.

Nobody wanted LJ and in fairness he did well in his time, established the club etc etc so to take the next step you need someone who’s done it before IMO, not someone with even less experience than your last manager, where is the logic?  Nice guy or not, DH is a huge gamble for the club to take.  This is the first I can remember a new manager actually being in a good place to start the season ie. not coming in to fight relegation, And with DH IMO we are not taking the opportunity.

Absolutely spot on with every point

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Spot on, if DH was a possible replacement to LJ in the Clubs eyes then surely they should have interviewed him ASAP after LJ went and got him in ASAP to help with continuity, building for next season etc.

To take 5/6 weeks to appoint somebody you already had at the club is ridiculous, and I can see why fans have lost it.  

I don’t think anyone has anything against DH personally and if appointed straight away with reasons of cost cutting or Covid or whatever then at least you could understand it, but SL can’t now say he wants Prem football, interview the likes of Hughton supposedly, and after all of that say DH was the best candidate, I don’t buy it as it makes no sense based on experience and achievements in the game.

So hopefully IF they appoint DH they are honest about the reasons it was him but I doubt it.

As others have said, it seems SL is happy to spend his $$$$ on players but not the manager, like buying fancy Alloys but you don’t have a steering wheel!  Again makes no sense at all.

Nobody wanted LJ and in fairness he did well in his time, established the club etc etc so to take the next step you need someone who’s done it before IMO, not someone with even less experience than your last manager, where is the logic?  Nice guy or not, DH is a huge gamble for the club to take.  This is the first I can remember a new manager actually being in a good place to start the season ie. not coming in to fight relegation, And with DH IMO we are not taking the opportunity.

Post of the day. SPOT on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mozo said:

Constant chopping and changing of team selection, not knowing best formation, strange substitutions, marginalising certain players without reason, publicly shaming players to the media, not taking responsibility for failure, signing players and not using them, direct and scrappy football, inability of team to create chances, a four game losing streak with a fully fit squad...

I don't think you've got that all covered Bat.

I can understand that Lee was passionate about his job and that he might feel conflicted about the various stresses and strains within the club.  I can forgive him for an excess of passion and for the fact that his most key players were sold or injured.  I expect he found that frustrating as well but he helped to put the club on a better financial footing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Have you no answer then to me responding to your assumption that majority of Bristol City fans are entitled and just 'wrong' because you don't agree with them then?

 

1 minute ago, 2015 said:

You'll always have the usual  entitled types with complete lack of perspective who go over the top, but they are always in the vast minority as they are in society thank God. They're just mouthy gobshites who will be enjoying this, nothing more than that.

^ That was your post

Is this you or another poster then? Seems like an indirect dig at vocal supporters on OTIB, social media who don't agree with the potential appointment of Dean Holden. 
But of course, i've misunderstood...

You most definitely have misunderstood, that is patently obvious, and I would suggest that you have a problem with English comprehension.

As I said, no point in debating with something that is in your head but not in my post.

:sub:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe with the current fears re revenue falls due to covid -19 due to no fans etc that the negotiating with any possible new manager

is taking a lot longer than previously - which to some extent is understandable. Maybe Hughton or Cook are sticking to their guns and

demanding salaries that City (and other clubs) are not prepared to pay.

We were informed a couple of weeks ago that Hughton was also interested in the Watford job - well he hasn't been appointed by them either.

Times are very different to normal so maybe that is the reason for these frustrating delays.

Bear with.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tinmans Love Child said:

Spot on, if DH was a possible replacement to LJ in the Clubs eyes then surely they should have interviewed him ASAP after LJ went and got him in ASAP to help with continuity, building for next season etc.

To take 5/6 weeks to appoint somebody you already had at the club is ridiculous, and I can see why fans have lost it.  

I don’t think anyone has anything against DH personally and if appointed straight away with reasons of cost cutting or Covid or whatever then at least you could understand it, but SL can’t now say he wants Prem football, interview the likes of Hughton supposedly, and after all of that say DH was the best candidate, I don’t buy it as it makes no sense based on experience and achievements in the game.

So hopefully IF they appoint DH they are honest about the reasons it was him but I doubt it.

As others have said, it seems SL is happy to spend his $$$$ on players but not the manager, like buying fancy Alloys but you don’t have a steering wheel!  Again makes no sense at all.

Nobody wanted LJ and in fairness he did well in his time, established the club etc etc so to take the next step you need someone who’s done it before IMO, not someone with even less experience than your last manager, where is the logic?  Nice guy or not, DH is a huge gamble for the club to take.  This is the first I can remember a new manager actually being in a good place to start the season ie. not coming in to fight relegation, And with DH IMO we are not taking the opportunity.

Agreed. My personal opinion is Holden is a big mistake if we appoint him. It’s a really underwhelming appointment and I am very disappointed in how the club have raised expectations.

If he is appointed however, I’ll 100% support him as a manager as well as the team. I’m sure this is the case for almost everyone else. People shouldn’t mistake scrutiny and anger about the board’s decision making for a personal attack on Dean Holden.

  • Like 7
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

There’s a worrying trend forming as well:

 

2019/20 sell our two best players (Webster and Brownhill) and don’t replace them

2020/21 sack our manager, don’t replace him

2020/21 sell two of our best players (Fam and Eliasson) - can’t see them being replaced either

 

That old friends, is stagnation. And that will only breed apathy among the players and fan base. If you’re not moving forward, you’re not moving forward. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

Maybe with the current fears re revenue falls due to covid -19 due to no fans etc that the negotiating with any possible new manager

is taking a lot longer than previously - which to some extent is understandable. Maybe Hughton or Cook are sticking to their guns and

demanding salaries that City (and other clubs) are not prepared to pay.

We were informed a couple of weeks ago that Hughton was also interested in the Watford job - well he hasn't been appointed by them either.

Times are very different to normal so maybe that is the reason for these frustrating delays.

Bear with.

Then don't make Steven Gerrard your first choice.

Coronavirus is hardly new, it was well in play when they sacked Johnson and nothing has changed since they went after Gerrard. Absolute Shit show from Lansdown Snr, Lansdown Jr & that *** Mark Ashton

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Notbarrymanc said:

There’s a worrying trend forming as well:

 

2019/20 sell our two best players (Webster and Brownhill) and don’t replace them

2020/21 sack our manager, don’t replace him

2020/21 sell two of our best players (Fam and Eliasson) - can’t see them being replaced either

 

That old friends, is stagnation. And that will only breed apathy among the players and fan base. If you’re not moving forward, you’re not moving forward. 

That is exactly it. The whole point in sacking Lee Johnson was because he couldn't get us to the top 6 in the end, so you appoint a Manager who has the experience to get us to that destination. We are now teetering on going backwards now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Agreed. My personal opinion is Holden is a big mistake if we appoint him. It’s a really underwhelming appointment and I am very disappointed in how the club have raised expectations.

If he is appointed however, I’ll 100% support him as a manager as well as the team. I’m sure this is the case for almost everyone else. People shouldn’t mistake scrutiny and anger about the board’s decision making for a personal attack on Dean Holden.

Run out of likes but I think that sums it all up and probably how most people feel about it (other than the minority entitled, over the top, vindictive types).

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...