IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Nope. Nothing else. 
I’m still certain Hughton is being finalised. 

I wonder. It is certainly possible we’re still negotiating with CH(hence the time taken) and using leaks to Gregor to big up Holden in case the talks fail?

1 minute ago, Matty Taylors a Red said:

You do have a choice though and it’s not mutually exclusive. There’s a difference between “supporting” and stating that you trust the board have made the right decision if it is Holden. 

I’ll support too, and I suppose we will never know who would’ve actually been better, but realistically Hughton is a better decision than Holden. 

Realistically we do not know the job specification. IF it is DH selected then it may be due to his enthusiasm to bring on the younger players whilst CH may have been an old man in a hurry, preferring to buy success with SLs wealth - but that is not the club ethos. If you think CH the better choice - better at what - developing young players who might be sold before they can help deliver promotion. We should know the job specification before we can really judge.

3 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Realistically we do not know the job specification. IF it is DH selected then it may be due to his enthusiasm to bring on the younger players whilst CH may have been an old man in a hurry, preferring to buy success with SLs wealth - but that is not the club ethos. If you think CH the better choice - better at what - developing young players who might be sold before they can help deliver promotion. We should know the job specification before we can really judge.

You're getting boring now, time you went for a lie down.

1 minute ago, IAmNick said:

Why do you do this to us Harry, it's the hope that kills you...

Ha ha. Trust me, I have zero inside info on this one. Not hearing a peep. 
I’m just considering all of the options and I honestly can’t see them going with Holden. 
I’m confident he’s a back up if we fail to land Hughton. 
Naturally the Hughton talks aren’t going to be straight forward as there will have to be compromises reached from both sides. 
I may be wrong, but I’m convinced we’re still thrashing it out with Hughton. 

5 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

I’ve still not worked out if you’re incredibly trusting, or just on a massive wind up Bat, but can I ask you one straight question?

Do you support Bristol City Football Club, or  do you support the Board?  

You can do the former without necessarily doing the latter as well, but some of your conversations here give the impression that you’ll agree with anything the board want, even when it appears to be having a negative effect on the Club. 

Have I got that one right, or have I misunderstood?

The answer is that I am passionate about Bristol City. Boards, managers and players come and go - but as long as I have life in this ageing body I will support whatever is put in front of me. I have supported in every division and really enjoyed some of the lower as well as the higher level football.  Bristol City is part of what I am and I simply cannot change that.  I am realistic enough to know that whatever I think it amounts to diddlysquat.  Others make the decisions, who we buy, who manages, what shirts we wear etc etc

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

I agree with you that there’s every chance DH ends up a better appointment. But you’ve mentioned a lot of ifs. Based on the experience both coaches have I just think the suggestion is more optimistic than realistic. 

In my opinion if DH meets the job specifications better than CH then the specifications are inappropriate. As many have suggested the specifications will have been focussed on withholding control as opposed to success on the pitch. 

Just now, Matty Taylors a Red said:

I agree with you that there’s every chance DH ends up a better appointment. But you’ve mentioned a lot of ifs. Based on the experience both coaches have I just think the suggestion is more optimistic than realistic. 

In my opinion if DH meets the job specifications better than CH then the specifications are inappropriate. As many have suggested the specifications will have been focussed on withholding control as opposed to success on the pitch. 

The specifications will have been decided in advance and we simply cannot know what happened during the process. The best candidate will be selected - and i, for one, will support that candidate.

1 minute ago, Red-Robbo said:

d I know it's only 14 respondents, but no matter how optimistic you are, I just don't get how anyone could be "buzzing" if Holden was appointed. Apart from the man himself and his family perhaps.

This is true but is it going to stop you supporting? I’ll be pissed off for a bit but will still support. All this talk of burning bras outside the club shop is totally OTT

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The specifications will have been decided in advance and we simply cannot know what happened during the process. The best candidate will be selected - and i, for one, will support that candidate.

It could also be the cheapest option and the candidate that will do what he’s told .

Just now, glen humphries said:

It could also be the cheapest option and the candidate that will do what he’s told .

All employees should do what they are told within limits - otherwise they risk being sacked.  Cost may well be a consideration and some of the big name types may think that SL should pay more than he is willing to pay.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

Specifications being decided in advance automatically makes them right? Don’t think so. If MA/SL decided in advance that they wanted the tallest manager this time around, is that right and would that produce the best candidate? Of course not!

And how do you know that the best candidate will be selected? Whether you mean objectively the best or the best based on these “specifications”, you can’t possibly know for a fact that the best coach will be selected. You can believe it all you want but it doesn’t make it true. 

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s been done to death on here so I will just give you a short answer with a few examples.. 

You forgot Brownhill which is another big success.

Webster obviously a huge success. Kelly was academy developed but still was blooded under Johnson so another one for him.

If Diedhiou or Eliasson leave for profit (which under normal circumstances they would) both of them.  

Not our player of course but Abraham left here a better player. 

I really don’t understand why some refuse to give Johnson credit, it was right he was sacked but he clearly developed us some players. People should be objective.

Some of my reservations about LJ is about how many players over 25 genuinely improved under him.  Pack and Flint are the only ones...and Pack was u25 when LJ arrived, but that’s me being ultra-picky.  I don’t doubt he played a part in Brownhill, etc, but by the same token what about O’Dowda.

Lets just say his player development has been mixed.

I do still have a little chuckle (don’t know why) when I found out it was Cotts who gave Pack his debut at Portsmouth, but I accept it was a SOD signing.

44 minutes ago, Akira said:

It's this type of mentality from fans that really does worry me. It means the board can do whatever the hell they want without fear. If they know fans will go along and be happy with whoever they appoint, we'll never progress. It always feels like 1 step forward, 2 back. 

SL's managerial appointment history is dire at best. He'll never be able to get away from the "Judge me on Tinnion" quote. And nor will we let him. Because its cheap option after cheap option. We've had a bloody good chance of progressing here, most fans know it, which is why most fans aren't blind to the obvious, that we could've have a well experienced manager to take us forward. But because of our set up, which I now firmly believe is holding us back, we appear to be going for someone who has no experience as a head coach/manager at all. 

With all due respect, I'm stunned that fans like yourself will be happy and go along with whoever they appoint. It's this kind of attitude that let's the board think they can do whatever they like. If holden gets the job, I'll be bitterly annoyed, and feel that we've just wasted the last 5 years and will go back to square one. Players certainly won't be attracted to the name of the manager, whereas with some others that are available, they would. 

I hope this is all just one giant wind up, but it's got all the hallmarks of a classic city cock-up once again, with the fans paying the price. 

Yes, that’s football.  Lee Johnson wasn’t exactly “household” when he convinced Abraham to come here on loan.  We just need to be smart in recruitment.  I say “just” like recruitment has been flawless in the past.  It hasn’t.  It’s a big gamble appointing Holden.  Whether it’s SL deciding Mark Ashton is in the firing line if it goes wrong.

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Ha ha. 
If it ends up I’m talking a lot of hot air I could be Harry DeHelium 

According to Lez, I’m Roy!!!

4 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

This is true but is it going to stop you supporting? I’ll be pissed off for a bit but will still support. All this talk of burning bras outside the club shop is totally OTT

True. I'm keeping mine. Very hard to get a 46" AA cup.

Archived