IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, ollywhyte said:

I'm just baffled by this whole saga, what on earth is going on? 

The longer it drags on I'm actually starting to worry something is fundamentally wrong at our club, be it financially or whatever.  The whole thing just seems weird now.

The only grain of hope I have that it isn't Holden, is surely he would have cut his holiday short to get going in what has to be a 'dream job' for him? And surely it wouldn't take 5 weeks to realise the next manager we want was right under our nose?

Or maybe Hughton demanded his own backroom staff and it was deemed too financially damning to pay everyone off in the current climate. So we have just gone with what we have + Williams. 

Or maybe the club is waiting for Hughton to agree Holden can stay. Who knows. Wish I didn't care.

Bored, frustrated, irritated and let down. 

Come on City, an update at least please for my own sanity!

Or maybe we’ve reached plan D and no experienced manager is willing to work under our current restrictive framework which heavily involves Ashton. This has to be the only logical answer? I’m baffled and pissed off by the whole saga. 

Just now, mozo said:

As someone suggested earlier in the week, could they be completing a signing or two to soften the blow? Delay announcement until the tasty bit of the shit sandwich is ready?

Would certainly sum it up, Ashton making signings for us without a manager in place.

11 minutes ago, bris red said:

Yup - im in. Already know of lads planning on it when/if Holden is announced.

Assuming it is announced beforehand would people be up for 4:30pm on Saturday afternoon just as the rugby is kicking off - maximum impact?!

1 minute ago, mozo said:

As someone suggested earlier in the week, could they be completing a signing or two to soften the blow? Delay announcement until the tasty bit of the shit sandwich is ready?

There's a tasty bit in a shit sandwich ?

2 minutes ago, Coppello said:

Or maybe we’ve reached plan D and no experienced manager is willing to work under our current restrictive framework which heavily involves Ashton. This has to be the only logical answer? I’m baffled and pissed off by the whole saga. 

Yes but if that was true, anyone with half a brain cell should realise, maybe the structure is wrong?

Its all the way it is so SL can interfere and be the control freak he is looking like he is. 

9 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

I can't believe that it was an adult.

To spend time with his crayons on a bit of scrap material, go to AG, and drape it on some railings. only for it to be binned by the morning. Ashton probably won't have a scooby it was there.

Ah well, each to his own. Live and let live and all that.

Can someone explain to me when it became such a heinous act for a fan of the club to express their opinion?

No doubt whoever did this pays towards the running of this football club, and therefore has a right to express their sentiment?

From what I can see here no one was hurt, and there isn’t any offensive language used. Why is this therefore a basis for scorn?

If anything, whether I agree with the message or not, the passion and expression should be respected no?

Why do we accept statements like this from “big” clubs who excerpt their will or view but don’t like it here?

Football is about passion, opinion and emotion in my opinion, and at this possibly crucial time for the club, I don’t think it’s a bad thing for the supporters to express themselves and their views within acceptable limits. 

1 minute ago, Galway Red said:

Would love to know Hughton's side of the story especially considering the fact that it was released by certain media outlets that he was set to be announced as manager, something went wrong 

Im sure there are lots of interesting stories from previous managers. Cotterill and Coppell come to mind....

5 minutes ago, mozo said:

Yes. Still trying to tie up a deal for Nketiah apparently.

Is it possible that part of the delay is caused by LJ being interviewed by Bournemouth/Watford? If he gets the role at either, he could take some of the coaching team with him. I could see Jamie Mac and Kalifa Cisse being of interest. I'm sure some members of the analysis team would follow as well. LJ loves his stats (box entries a personal favourite). 

It's looking likely that Holden has got the Head Coaches position here, however if he has to find a new coaching set up then this could cause further delay. 

I'm purely speculating, trying to figure out what possible cause there could be for still not having an announcement. 

Just now, Atticus said:

Im sure there are lots of interesting stories from previous managers. Cotterill and Coppell come to mind....

Does anyone know the details of the NDAs that these managers seem to sign? Presume a contract clause? When can Cotts tell his story?

I suspect the excuse if this occurs as feared, then it will be a combination of Covid and if it happens wage cap. 

Now I'm interested in what people who dismiss the Covid aspect have to say about the second. As in, what budget can we offer Hughton if the wage cap is voted in?

Any thoughts @Atticus @ollywhyte or @Red Army87

How do you sell that to Hughton or similar? 

2 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I hope Hughton has been treated with some decency. I have my doubts. He’s a good football man but footballing success is secondary to the business of Bristol City/BS these days, which defeats the object for me as a fan. 

Only we could end up part of the “BS” group.... you couldn’t make it up. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

I suspect the excuse if this occurs as feared, then it will be a combination of Covid and if it happens wage cap. 

Now I'm interested in what people who dismiss the Covid aspect have to say about the second. As in, what budget can we offer Hughton if the wage cap is voted in?

Surely CH or another coach of a similar calibre wouldn't be that arrogant to expect the same budget as previous years? 

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite simply, it’ll be the same anywhere he goes outside the prem. 

the answer is working with a compact quality squad (as Cotts did in the promotion season) not a bloated mish-mash of like for like players. Oh and you use the academy. 

CH would understand that and it would be up to him weather he fancied it or not. 

4 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

Surely CH or another coach of a similar calibre wouldn't be that arrogant to expect the same budget as previous years? 

It's not just a reduced budget though, it's something completely new and alien, implemented n a hurry. 

However yes I'd tend to agree. Would be interesting to know broadly how big/what the mismatch between the two sides is, ie club and Hughton.

3 minutes ago, Mendip City said:

I hope Hughton has been treated with some decency. I have my doubts. He’s a good football man but footballing success is secondary to the business of Bristol City/BS these days, which defeats the object for me as a fan. 

Only we could end up part of the “BS” group.... you couldn’t make it up. 

Hughton has worked for Mike Ashley, he'll find our lot practically sane by comparison.

That said, I suspect he has the ear of a lot of very influential people within the game. And these people talk to each other.

5 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Im not saying Hughton or nobody. Its someone else bar Holden. I cannot believe that no manager out there would not want the job due to potential wage constraints next season aside Holden. 

For me, as crazy as it may sound, I wish we'd kept Johnson if this was the alternative. Never in a million years would I have expected this outcome. It is unbelievable. 

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

It's not just a reduced budget though, it's something completely new and alien, implanted in a hurry. 

However yes I'd tend to agree. 

I would imagine he would have the skill and judgement to deal with that kind of scenario, plus the experience to deal with the team/players. 

What are the details of the WC?

Just now, Northern Red said:

Hughton has worked for Mike Ashley, he'll find our lot practically sane by comparison.

That said, I suspect he has the ear of a lot of very influential people within the game. And these people talk to each other.

Yes good point. 
I wonder what Bristol City’s real reputation is, within the game? As opposed to the sugar-coated self-publicity we’re constantly fed. 

2 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Why would you want to mess up the rugby?

It’s got nothing to do with messing up the rugby other than exposure to a time when we know people will be at the stadium. There’s little point in going up at 6pm on a Friday evening if no one of any importance is there?

1 minute ago, Cardy said:

It’s got nothing to do with messing up the rugby other than exposure to a time when we know people will be at the stadium. There’s little point in going up at 6pm on a Friday evening if no one of any importance is there?

Is the rugby televised? A banner at the rugby would be embarrassing for the BS group. 

6 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Im not saying Hughton or nobody. Its someone else bar Holden. I cannot believe that no manager out there would not want the job due to potential wage constraints next season aside Holden. 

For me, as crazy as it may sound, I wish we'd kept Johnson if this was the alternative. Never in a million years would I have expected this outcome. It is unbelievable. 

Yeah tend to agree then. 

Seems odd we've ended up in this position. I fear a wasted season as it is, and if it's Holden it might be eventful- but at the wrong end! 

You're right, seems unbelievable. Wonder if relative lack of transfer budget/wage increase might be driving this,  in terms of candidates not being so keen.

Plenty of clubs will be in the same boat though, Cook feels like he would be a good compromise candidate. Good manager for one and used to a relatively tighter budget.

Archived