IGNORED

Dean Holden (Merged)

Bcfcbackwell

If we appoint Holden I will...   

1100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, soultrader said:

John Ward

The fans picked John Ward?  Are you having a laugh?  How did that happen then?  There was barely any social media in those days, so what did we all do?  Write to Scott Davidson?  I remember a few people being quite uncomfortable about Ward because he was ex-Gas, but he certainly wasn’t appointed because of overwhelming clamour from the fans.

7 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

The fans picked John Ward?  Are you having a laugh?  How did that happen then?  There was barely any social media in those days, so what did we all do?  Write to Scott Davidson?  I remember a few people being quite uncomfortable about Ward because he was ex-Gas, but he certainly wasn’t appointed because of overwhelming clamour from the fans.

If memory serves Evening Post ran a poll as to who the fans wanted.  Which was JW.  The board said that he was not on their short list.  Interviewed him for the job tho.

I never said social media existed.  But given the above I would say it showed fans were listened to with regards to JW being appointed.

If I remember correctly I think the board said they had discounted him because of his Rovers connections and assumed fans would not want him.

I can see the board almost apologising when they announce the new manager.

We had applications from all over the football world, we interviewed some great up and coming managers and also ones with championship promotion winning experience.

But we have ignored all that and gone with...................

Just now, paul_fox said:

Anyone tempted by Warnock now? ?

Look at my post history, I cannot stand him.

But every day of the week when compared to Holden.

Anyone seriously think Boro (bottom six all last season) won’t finish above us?

7 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I can see the board almost apologising when they announce the new manager.

We had applications from all over the football world, we interviewed some great up and coming managers and also ones with championship promotion winning experience.

But we have ignored all that and gone with...................

Ashton apologise?

Hmmmm......

7 minutes ago, soultrader said:

If memory serves Evening Post ran a poll as to who the fans wanted.  Which was JW.  The board said that he was not on their short list.  Interviewed him for the job tho.

I never said social media existed.  But given the above I would say it showed fans were listened to with regards to JW being appointed.

If I remember correctly I think the board said they had discounted him because of his Rovers connections and assumed fans would not want him.

Interestingly at this time I played Sunday morning football with a Radio Bristol journalist who told me it was an open secret that both the radio station & The Post (Latham was still there then, I think) loved Ward & so manipulated the poll, as there was no enthusiasm for Ward from City fans at all..

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Anyone tempted by Warnock now? ?

Should have been first choice. 

Watching him sort MA out would have been worth the season ticket price alone. 

Never mind. Another period of watching a load of ‘yes’ men shuffling the pack of losers, wasters and ‘don’t want to be here’ players we’ve collected under LJ/MA tenure. 

Just now, RedRock said:

Should have been first choice. 

Watching him sort MA out would have been worth the season ticket price alone. 

Never mind. Another period of watching a load of ‘yes’ men shuffling the pack of losers, wasters and ‘don’t want to be here’ players we’ve collected under LJ/MA tenure. 

Definitely, 12 month contract with a nice bonus for promotion. He'd have jumped at the chance to come here I think. Big Mick also would've sorted us out as well. 

19 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Please read previous fifty pages of this thread for requested information.

FIFTY!! if only, don't know what the record is but we must be getting somewhere near it last time i looked it was heading towards 100.

42 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I agree Graham. Millen revisited but with a far more competent squad.

Which for me begs the question, given that relegation doesn't seem to be a severe risk, why, if we couldn't negotiate a deal with a Hughton, Cook or Neil we didn't go for a talented younger manager with proven managerial pedigree. One to develop for the future.

Holden has nothing in his track record to compete with even that chap Flynn...

The only conclusions can be, we were just avoiding paying compensation, or this club has proved to be far less attractive than the board anticipated.

I really don’t think anyone complaining about the use of the words cheap option can have any arguments in this particular case.

The only other possible reason is there are policies or people connected to this club that are driving our targets away.  We can all have a few guesses at what those are!

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I can see what you’re trying to do, and it’s an admirable effort, Doc. ?

But I can assure you, LJ was not KITR’s insider. In fact, go back 2 years and you’ll find KITR called for a boycott if LJ remained in charge. 

Oh, you little tinker Harry.

A true friend indeed. Very few of those around. 

Moving along:

You must admit though, LJ does seem to have got the rough end of the Pineapple.

It's hard to justify the Pilot being ejected, only to give the controls to the Navigator.

They were both responsible for flying the plane.

You must agree on that Harry?

12 minutes ago, BrizzleRed said:

The only conclusions can be, we were just avoiding paying compensation, or this club has proved to be far less attractive than the board anticipated.

I really don’t think anyone complaining about the use of the words cheap option can have any arguments in this particular case.

The only other possible reason is there are policies or people connected to this club that are driving our targets away.  We can all have a few guesses at what those are!

Given MA & SL's confident statements outlining scope and ambition several weeks ago I only conclude it's policies or people...they've been unable to land the candidates they might have wanted.

I know that others on here are looking at money, I don't see what has significantly changed from the start of the process. Any scenario planning from at the start of the lockdown would surely have factored in the possibility that the 2020/21 season would be played behind closed doors.

22 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Interestingly at this time I played Sunday morning football with a Radio Bristol journalist who told me it was an open secret that both the radio station & The Post (Latham was still there then, I think) loved Ward & so manipulated the poll, as there was no enthusiasm for Ward from City fans at all..

Really?  I didn't know that.   I personally wanted him and so did a lot of my mates.

But not all fans are going to agree on such things.

33 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Definitely, 12 month contract with a nice bonus for promotion. He'd have jumped at the chance to come here I think. Big Mick also would've sorted us out as well. 

Lummydaze. We don’t want ruthless ‘winners’ at Ashton Gate.

We much prefer nice, polite, ‘you first’  people. You can see it in our team. Really nice people, many of whom I’d be happy for my daughter to go out with. 

I don’t want that in my football club, but it’s our DNA. I want fighters, leaders, people who break down all before them to achieve their goals. 

2 minutes ago, SX227 said:

Oh, you little tinker Harry.

A true friend indeed. Very few of those around. 

Moving along:

You must admit though, LJ does seem to have got the rough end of the Pineapple.

It's hard to justify the Pilot being ejected, only to give the controls to the Navigator.

They were both responsible for flying the plane.

You must agree on that Harry?

Ha ha. I’ve been called a wriggler and a tinker this morning. Love it. 

Absolutely agree though and nice analogy. 

37 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Oh fair enough then.  I don't remember that, but no reason to doubt you.

2 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Lummydaze. We don’t want ruthless ‘winners’ at Ashton Gate.

We much prefer nice, polite, ‘you first’  people. You can see it in our team. Really nice people, many of whom I’d be happy for my daughter to go out with. 

I do do want that in my football club but it’s our DNA. I want fighters, leaders, people who break down all before them to achieve their goals. 

Well I for one don't.  I would rather have us playing entertaining football, bringing youngsters through, than have success at any cost.  The thought of a manager who would 'break down all before them' makes me feel that I'd rather be watching non-league football. 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Given MA & SL's confident statements outlining scope and ambition several weeks ago I only conclude it's policies or people...they've been unable to land the candidates they might have wanted.

I know that others on here are looking at money, I don't see what has significantly changed from the start of the process. Any scenario planning from at the start of the lockdown would surely have factored in the possibility that the 2020/21 season would be played behind closed doors.

Trouble is with this is the waters have been muddied by the club’s denial of interest in Gerrard.

I don’t think many of us believe that, so if we could afford to go for him, any other candidates would likely have been within that price range.

The only other thing I’ve wondered is,with the recent upturn in the virus infections worldwide, we could now be looking at the new year before we can start getting fans back in the grounds. Maybe that’s put the frighteners on the club and they’ve panicked.

Archived