IGNORED

If anyone still honestly believes

GrahamC

That utter horseshit about the “head coach” having the final say on signings, you probably still believe in Father Christmas, too.

Hughton was told that Ashton had the final say in ALL transfers & we have spent the few weeks since then trying to find a way to make that work.

Obviously it doesn’t, so we are appointing someone who is happy with that.

Been supporting for nearly 50 years & can only think of 2 other appointments that have been as bad as this, Tinnion & Lumsden.

Really wondering why I bother, honestly find it hard to believe that we actually want to progress.

Wasn’t so fussed about Hughton as others but there are plenty of out of work managers who would have been a much better choice.

Being honest, i didn't want Tinnion but it wasn't a shock/suprising, this on the other hand is just truly brilliant trolling by Johnny boy & Ashton, perhaps Holden has promised little Johnny boy a spin on the old tombola once a month, could be how he sealed the deal.

5 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

That utter horseshit about the “head coach” having the final say on signings, you probably still believe in Father Christmas, too.

Hughton was told that Ashton had the final say in ALL transfers & we have spent the few weeks since then trying to find a way to make that work.

Been supporting for nearly 50 years & can only think of 2 other appointments that have been as bad as this, Tinnion & Lumsden.

Really wondering why I bother, honestly find it hard to believe that we actually want to progress.

Wasn’t so fussed about Hughton as others but there are plenty of out of work managers who would have been a much better choice.

Were you in on the interviews? If so let us know what else was asked? To know the above you must have been there or it's just more bullshit scaremongering, I suspect the latter

10 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

How do you know what Hughton was told ?  Were you in the room at the time ?

2 minutes ago, frenchred said:

Were you in on the interviews? If so let us know what else was asked? To know the above you must have been there or it's just more bullshit scaremongering, I suspect the latter

But it shouldn’t be all about interviews. Everybody who ever had an interview says they are Jesus Christ. Records are there to be seen, Hughton and Cook have genuine accomplishments in the actual, real world. Giving a good interview should be a very minor part of it. 

3 minutes ago, Southport Red said:

But it shouldn’t be all about interviews. Everybody who ever had an interview says they are Jesus Christ. Records are there to be seen, Hughton and Cook have genuine accomplishments in the actual, real world. Giving a good interview should be a very minor part of it. 

Not really the point Frenchred was making though

7 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Bit harsh on Messrs. Tinnion & Lumsden.

Tins missed out on the play-offs by 1 point - had to keep Millen as his No.2; home vs Chesterfield, lost 2-3 Tins played and City recovered from 0-2 to 2-2 before Keef takes off Tins for no reason and we lose!!

Lumsden only missed out on the play-offs in 90/91 by 2 points which was a credible effort.

5 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Tins missed out on the play-offs by 1 point - had to keep Millen as his No.2; home vs Chesterfield, lost 2-3 Tins played and City recovered from 0-2 to 2-2 before Keef takes off Tins for no reason and we lose!!

Lumsden only missed out on the play-offs in 90/91 by 2 points which was a credible effort.

I can remember exactly where I was when I heard that Tinnion had got the job - my heart sank. Likewise when Millen was appointed. The moment an appointment is made the glee club on here will be right in with 'get behind xxxx' - it's already started. The beauty of hindsight is that you know whether your judgement was right or wrong. Did Jimmy Lumsden feel like a suitable replacement for Joe Jordan? No. Was Tins an upgrade on Danny Wilson. No. Was Keith Millen the right man to replace either Gary Johnson or Steve Coppell. Nope. Lee Johnson following Cotts. Not really.

That's the basis on which I'll make my assessment of the next appointee. Dean Holden, for me, is up there with a number of other SL misjudgements....although Jimmy L was before his time!

23 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Benny Lennartson !!!!

Think about this season's play-off managers:  two promoted from within their current club, another promoted from within at his previous club, plus a fourth who was previously an England youth coach.

There are lots of "experienced" managers further down the table.

Part of me would love a big name, but that's no guarantee of success and promoting from within can work.

1 minute ago, red panda said:

Think about this season's play-off managers:  two promoted from within their current club, another promoted from within at his previous club, plus a fourth who was previously an England youth coach.

There are lots of "experienced" managers further down the table.

Part of me would love a big name, but that's no guarantee of success and promoting from within can work.

True Panda, but they were successful Number 2s. DH was co-culpable for the LJ performances that were deemed not good enough, so why do we think he should run the show?

1 minute ago, Southport Red said:

Sorry, no, I was re reading the Gregor Tweet where he said ‘Holden had really impressed at interview’ at the same time. 

Proof that my wife is correct, I can’t multi task ?

As long as you can drink and breathe then what else do you need

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If they had Hughton in the room they should have signed him if they wanted  to move this club forward. And I was not in the room at the time.

That's all very well but maybe Hughton needed time to think about the challenge and check out the area. That is of course assuming Hughton was interviewed in the first place. None of us know do we.

3 minutes ago, BigTone said:

That's all very well but maybe Hughton needed time to think about the challenge and check out the area. That is of course assuming Hughton was interviewed in the first place. None of us know do we.

If he was available they should have gone and got him. It makes a statement of intent that the Board want to move this club forward. Just as an appointment of Holden is a vote for stagnation.

2 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

If he was available they should have gone and got him. It makes a statement of intent that the Board want to move this club forward. Just as an appointment of Holden is a vote for stagnation.

You really are missing the point

5 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm amazed how many people defend the board /club regardless of what happens. 

Surely no body thought when we sacked LJ that Holden was the right man?

Isnt that view enough (at this moment in time ) to now be pretty annoyed at him getting the job?

Im baffled aswell. How anyone can defend the club on this is beyond me. Its verging on a disgrace if Holden gets the job.

3 minutes ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm amazed how many people defend the board /club regardless of what happens. 

Surely no body thought when we sacked LJ that Holden was the right man?

Isnt that view enough (at this moment in time ) to now be pretty annoyed at him getting the job?

We have not seen the job spec or how each interviewee matched up to the requirements. If Dean Holden displayed his grasp of the issues that were important to the board, then he would have won on merit.  All the sniping is just peevish guesswork. We also have a budget that will have been compromised by Covid 19, so if this appointment is confirmed, it may leave more cash for team building.  Of course, he may be a complete revelation and win us promotion at the first attempt. The players seem to think highly of him and that must be worth a great deal. Support the guy who is chosen!

1 minute ago, Redrascal2 said:

So what if the club presented the best resources we could have given him etc and he said it wasn't enough? Until any conclusive proof is offered that we choose someone else over him or another candidate then its hard to say because you don't know the truth of the situation

I wouldn't be surprised if we have offered the job to more than one decent applicant and in turn they have turned us down after speaking with MA and seeing the conditions of the job.

That's why this has taken so long and we are left with one who hasn't got a problem with the terms.

11 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So what if the club presented the best resources we could have given him etc and he said it wasn't enough? Until any conclusive proof is offered that we choose someone else over him or another candidate then its hard to say because you don't know the truth of the situation

...in time the truth will out. 

11 minutes ago, Top Robin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we have offered the job to more than one decent applicant and in turn they have turned us down after speaking with MA and seeing the conditions of the job.

That's why this has taken so long and we are left with one who hasn't got a problem with the terms.

Which seems a reasonable deduction.

52 minutes ago, headhunter said:

Tinnion had a 36% win rate, Lunsden 35%.............better than poor Benny's (remember him?) at 19%.  Ouch!

19 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

There is definitely a problem if Ashton is signing players without asking a manager first.

But we have not got a manager and we have not signed or sold anyone without one. Or renewed contracts that have expired.

If Korey, Maenpaa or Williams sign a new deal after Holden or whoever is appointed then that more or less confirms to me that the manager does get the final say.

Well, I understand one player has already been told he’s leaving by MA. And he’s not very happy about it. Neither are some of the other coaching staff as they weren’t told. 

Archived