IGNORED

If anyone still honestly believes

GrahamC

It's ok, it's all part of the master plan.  Eddie Howe wants a few months out, so we're getting a cheap but steady option in to hold(en) the reigns for a few months while Eddie recharges.

So we've passed on CH to use DH as a stopgap to EH.

It's all so clear now! 

34 minutes ago, Lrrr said:

So what if the club presented the best resources we could have given him etc and he said it wasn't enough? Until any conclusive proof is offered that we choose someone else over him or another candidate then its hard to say because you don't know the truth of the situation

And with the bu11shit we will be fed by them we never will.

23 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well, I understand one player has already been told he’s leaving by MA. And he’s not very happy about it. Neither are some of the other coaching staff as they weren’t told. 

I wonder if there is a connection with  the Post reporting that we are looking for a reserve keeper?

Your post certainly emphasises, if it was needed, that the new Head Coach will be expected to bend the knee to Ashton and take responsibility for signings that are not down to him.

It's hard to imagine any experienced candidate being prepared to bow to the wishes of an unqualified DoF. Presumably Holden is happy to do so then.

1 hour ago, kevinmabbuttshair said:

If anyone still honestly believes that all major decisions aren't given the final signature in the channel Islands they are naive at best and deluded at worst

If someone was spending millions of pounds of YOUR money wouldn't you want a say on it?

3 hours ago, GrahamC said:

That utter horseshit about the “head coach” having the final say on signings, you probably still believe in Father Christmas, too.

Not sure I agree on the exact mechanics @GrahamC (I think you underestimate SL's influence in this too) but I agree with your frustrations.

I don't want to be premature on what is just a Gregor McGregor story, but the hiring of Dean Holden doesn't stand up to any serious scrutiny.

It's NOT a financial imperative, if that was true, we'd take the same approach to players and play Morrell, Moore, not keep buying squad filler.

So this must result from another imperative, and while I doubt they'll ever admit it, I think it's around influence and access to football strategy.

To this day I've never forgotten something SL said when LJ was under fire in 2016. He described a routine of calls with LJ to offer his opinion.

They spoke at length twice a week so LJ could benefit from SL's input. It stood out a mile to me because it didn't sound normal for a manager.

Since then there has been a lot of conjecture on MA's role in signings and the coaches "ownership" of those signings. MA carries out SL's will. 

So I go back to the difference between the financial imperative of appointing Dean Holden, and yet happily spending on players as squad filler. 

Here's the difference to those that own and run the club:

• Buying players - Shiny toys I can play with ?
  • Hiring managers - People who get in the way of my shiny toys ☹️

It sounds childish but in my opinion it's the real difference between where SL (and MA on his behalf) spends money. Things they get to control.

I don't begrudge SL as he owns the club & MA is his chosen man to carry out his will. They enjoy their control and are not about to surrender it.

3 hours ago, The Humble Realist said:

I'm amazed how many people defend the board /club regardless of what happens. 

Surely no body thought when we sacked LJ that Holden was the right man?

Isnt that view enough (at this moment in time ) to now be pretty annoyed at him getting the job?

I’m amazed how many people critique the board/club before anything has even happened.

wait until Holden is appointed as manager before throwing your toys out the pram!

13 minutes ago, grifty said:

I’m amazed how many people critique the board/club before anything has even happened.

wait until Holden is appointed as manager before throwing your toys out the pram!

The significant thing about Gregor's latest piece is that he specifically refers to sources inside the club. In other words he has been leaked information, presumably to draw the fire from the fans in the hope it will soon die down.

3 hours ago, Top Robin said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we have offered the job to more than one decent applicant and in turn they have turned us down after speaking with MA and seeing the conditions of the job.

That's why this has taken so long and we are left with one who hasn't got a problem with the terms.

Agreed. And it was perfectly possible to predict this mess 5 weeks ago, too. I would have loved Hughton but found it hard to believe he, or any other self-respecting manager with experience and a record of success, would agree to work in our set up.

Until the appalling Ashton is replaced, or his responsibilities redefined, the likeliest person to accept the job is an up-and-coming, desperate to please, totally unproven wannabe.

Nothing wrong with that per se, but difficult to justify such a candidate being given the job if reaching the Premier League is genuinely such a priority. (Which I believe it is, if only for financial reasons - we cannot afford to pay the likes of Kalas, Wells and Baker a king's ransom long term, unless we're in the Prem)  

45 minutes ago, Olé said:

Not sure I agree on the exact mechanics @GrahamC (I think you underestimate SL's influence in this too) but I agree with your frustrations.

I don't want to be premature on what is just a Gregor McGregor story, but the hiring of Dean Holden doesn't stand up to any serious scrutiny.

It's NOT a financial imperative, if that was true, we'd take the same approach to players and play Morrell, Moore, not keep buying squad filler.

So this must result from another imperative, and while I doubt they'll ever admit it, I think it's around influence and access to football strategy.

To this day I've never forgotten something SL said when LJ was under fire in 2016. He described a routine of calls with LJ to offer his opinion.

They spoke at length twice a week so LJ could benefit from SL's input. It stood out a mile to me because it didn't sound normal for a manager.

Since then there has been a lot of conjecture on MA's role in signings and the coaches "ownership" of those signings. MA carries out SL's will. 

So I go back to the difference between the financial imperative of appointing Dean Holden, and yet happily spending on players as squad filler. 

It sounds childish but in my opinion it's the real difference between where SL (and MA on his behalf) spends money. Things they get to control.

I don't begrudge SL as he owns the club & MA is his chosen man to carry out his will. They enjoy their control and are not about to surrender it.

Top post. From my brief conversations with SL...spread over a number of years and prior to 2016...I heard enough to think that 'shiny toys' fits the bill...and extends to aspects of the stadium development.

16 minutes ago, CotterillsArmy2 said:

Something along the lines of "must fit into the vision". The boards get out of jail free card.

I wasn’t suggesting the club inform us, was suggesting the media or world of football does, e.g. a few people start dropping reasons why....that don’t look good on club.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I wasn’t suggesting the club inform us, was suggesting the media or world of football does, e.g. a few people start dropping reasons why....that don’t look good on club.

I have just listened to the interview SL gave with talksport after LJ sacking....a few points

"Time to look for someone to take the next step"

"Bring a breath of fresh air into the club"

"Anyone coming in give them enough Time before the start of the season"

If we end up with Holden, baring in mind the above, this suggests that something has gone very wrong during this recruitment process.

3 minutes ago, CotterillsArmy2 said:

I have just listened to the interview SL gave with talksport after LJ sacking....a few points

"Time to look for someone to take the next step"

"Bring a breath of fresh air into the club"

"Anyone coming in give them enough Time before the start of the season"

If we end up with Holden, baring in mind the above, this suggests that something has gone very wrong during this recruitment process.

Yep - I just listened to that too. You'd assume he was expecting a completely different series of events to those which might lead to the appointment of Dean Holden a few days before the players return.

3 hours ago, Scrumpylegs said:

If someone was spending millions of pounds of YOUR money wouldn't you want a say on it?

How ironic then that SL made his billions building a company where people hand over their hard earned money to experts in their area who then invest on their behalf. 

Sadly he doesn’t follow this model when it come to football.

Firstly we wait and see actually who is appointed, MacGregor may be way off the mark and this is more smoke  and mirrors.  

I still struggle to grasp how SL, who I respect so much for what he has done for BCFC, would score such an own goal by handing  the role of head coach to DH when he was part of the dismal set up and tactics under LJ. Was he DH just a puppet under LJ ? 

I am already thoroughly disillusioned  about football under covid, hate the soulless games, find Robins TV a waste of 90 minutes of my life, and as i have said on another thread a DH appointment would be the final straw &  I would reclaim the cost of my ST.  I would then wait and see what happens in the next few years, once covid departs (or we live with it).  The club makes a statement with the manager and real intention then i would re assess, the next few days will be telling.

4 hours ago, bris red said:

Im baffled aswell. How anyone can defend the club on this is beyond me. Its verging on a disgrace if Holden gets the job.

My theory on this is that perhaps the true extent of Covid-19's financial impact is being fully understood and maybe the club are looking at next seasons Championship with the likes of Wycombe, Rotherham, Barnsley, Coventry etc and thinking no matter what we do with this appointment we will not go down (naive I know!), in a years time the carnage caused by this pandemic will have resulted in various clubs going bust which may allow us to cherry pick a more suitable candidate at a time where spending big money is more justifiable than it is right now.

I must admit if DH were appointed it would be possibly the most underhwelming possible candidate imaginable and it would be extremely strange logic to go from being linked with high-profile recent England internationals such as Gerrard and Terry to then the likes of proven managers such as Hughton, Cook, Neil whilst also talking of candidates from all over the world applying to then resort to appointing someone who is none of those things and didn't even provide any real "new manager bounce" in his 5 games at the end of the season. I actually quite like Holden from the interviews I've seen of him and he seems to be quite an honest guy with integrity so would deserve the backing of the fanbase however he will be cut very little slack should results not be good at the start of theseason given his association with LJ.

4 minutes ago, Dolman_Stand said:

I must admit if DH were appointed it would be possibly the most underhwelming possible candidate imaginable and it would be extremely strange logic to go from being linked with high-profile recent England internationals such as Gerrard and Terry to then the likes of proven managers such as Hughton, Cook, Neil whilst also talking of candidates from all over the world applying to then resort to appointing someone who is none of those things and didn't even provide any real "new manager bounce" in his 5 games at the end of the season. 

That is just so true.  For that reason it can't be Holden ! But.......  we are BCFC, or the interview process has gone t*ts up and no one of note can work under the constraints imposed ?  Thursday might be the day ? Got to be this week !

7 minutes ago, DT The Optimist said:

I still struggle to grasp how SL, who I respect so much for what he has done for BCFC, would score such an own goal by handing  the role of head coach to DH when he was part of the dismal set up and tactics under LJ. Was he DH just a puppet under LJ ? 

It may be scarcely believable but maybe LJ has actually recommended DH to SL?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

Hooray, finally someone gets it! 

I think the quote from SL was that he spoke to LJ before AND after games, an unprecedented relationship between owner and manager. He didn't enjoy such close relationships with SC and SOD, to say the least...

Something else that stuck out recently was his comment in the Talksport interview where he said "Lee has been employed by MYSELF for a number of years". Just a little insight into how much control he has, and likes to have, over the football club.

Shame he can't take more of a backseat like he does with the rugby.

Archived