IGNORED

Mark Ashton - Opinions

iamsober

40 minutes ago, PhilC said:

Based on some betting odds, some comments on Twitter and on here....?

I’s say that pretty concrete evidence by OTIB’s standards!

:) 

Is the sole reason for people demanding Ashton out, that he's not a "footballing person" (despite being in the business a long time)? I think he does a good job as a CEO, and I think a former footballer would be disastrous in that role. If they are on about the recruiting aspect of it, then the answer is simple - get a director of football to work alongside Ashton (which is something they are allegedly looking at).

1 hour ago, Monkeh said:

as ceo he is in charge of the club and runs the business he will be interviewing on lansdowns behalf, if holden vets appoint its 100% mark ashton and if that's the case he needs to **** off 

Disagree. Any managerial appointment would need to be signed off by SL, in the same manner any players would need to have been agreed with LJ before initiating negotiations.

12 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

What if Holden does well?

Of course nobody knows.....But is it not fair to say that he was a significant part of the previous failing managerial/coaching regime?

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Can you tell me why that is stupid?

Holden takes over and does a decent job.

How is that not a possibility?

Problem is JD, there’s nothing to say he won’t be a disaster either and we could find ourselves back in the situation of paying compensation  to two sacked managers at the same time.

The start of his caretaker period looked decent and particularly the first half against Boro, but it had already started to go downhill by the end of the season.

The bottom line for me is, there were serious doubts that LJ had suitable qualifucations to be our HC and is DH’s even as good as LJ’s, let alone better?

Mark Ashton has improved things at the club significantly. Before he joined few large clubs wanted anything to do with us, and since he joined we've been savvy in the loan market, have expanded our scouting network across Europe, and have sold numerous players for a profit.

With that being said, hiring Holden is anything but a sign that the club is in no fit shape to push for promotion - and Ashton and Lansdown would look like fools if they even mention the Premier League in the announcing press conference.

The next head coach announcement is a statement, and Ashton and Lansdown need to stand by their statement. We either hire someone with proven ability to gain promotion, someone with experience keeping clubs in the Championship, or someone with internal experience. All three are their own statements, and the board need to not mix ambition with intent.

4 minutes ago, EnderMB said:

With that being said, hiring Holden is anything but a sign that the club is in no fit shape to push for promotion - and Ashton and Lansdown would look like fools if they even mention the Premier League in the announcing press conference.

The next head coach announcement is a statement, and Ashton and Lansdown need to stand by their statement. 

clapping applause GIF

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

How long have you been watching us?

Pulis, Lennartsson & SOD were absolutely miles worse, to name but 3.

100% - Millen was absolutely not perfect or even really that good at all, but under SOD and absolutely Pulis we were utter trash.

Millen looks like Sir Alex in comparison to those two.

Just now, JonDolman said:

Well it's impossible for us to know. But he does seem to have done things quite differently to LJ.

I'd not have him personally but I thought it looked quite promising what he was doing.

It is a gamble though in some ways. 

I can see your point and I was thinking the same for the first two or three games under him.  Looking back now after the dust has settled though, I’m thinking it was just the relief at seeing the players freed from the rigid LJ formations and playing with more freedom.  In the cold light of day though, the same old problems were still there, as they were under LJ, even if the tactics were different.

As others have pointed out, this club would look incredibly stupid if after over 4 weeks of looking for a new HC and having SG and CH as high profile targets, we decide to go for our current caretaker.

3 hours ago, Lrrr said:

I hate Ashton making us millions of transfers we'd probably have sold for a pittance before 

There’s no way we would’ve sold Kodjia, Bryan, Reid, Flint, Webster or Brownhill for a pittance.  He may have eked out some millions and deserve credit for that.

But if he’s also “forced” millions of pounds of inadequate players on us, that equally as bad as good stuff is good.

From the outside looking in and having looked at his background / career, his other businesses, colleagues etc, I get an impression that gives me concerns...and have done for a while.

This appointment is his biggest call.

8 hours ago, GrahamC said:

How long have you been watching us?

Pulis, Lennartsson & SOD were absolutely miles worse, to name but 3.

Since GJ in about 05 so didn’t see TP or BL. The SOD era was bad but for me better due to the win over Rovers and the fact he bought in some excellent players. Millen was worse for me.

8 hours ago, JonDolman said:

Well it's impossible for us to know. But he does seem to have done things quite differently to LJ.. 

Seriously? Didn't Lee Johnson bring him to Oldham and City? He was LJs Right hand man and a key part of the coaching that took place every day. How was he NOT a key part of a failing management team?

Unless of course he fundamentally disagreed with everything LJ was doing but just nodded along and pretended he thought it was a good idea? And I'm not sure that's the sort of person you want as head coach.

8 hours ago, samo II said:

100% - Millen was absolutely not perfect or even really that good at all, but under SOD and absolutely Pulis we were utter trash.

Millen looks like Sir Alex in comparison to those two.

SO'D was "just turning it/things/us around," lest we forget. That draw at home to Orient was bostin! 19 shots at goal that night, and 9 corners! Top of the table that night, Orient, and Steve goes and bloody sacks him! They must be in the Prem by now, Orient.

Here's a picture of Sean just to jog yer memory/kick-start yer day:

image.thumb.jpg.7b664b6e02d84d69f0408cc5c306a666.jpg

Hey Sean, it might never happen. Bostin!

Though it's far to early to sack him, I would say that this appointment (whenever it might happen) actually is important. Selling players for big money is all well and good and he's clearly capable of that but he can't have carte blanche to run the club without being accountable in his other areas of responsibility too. 

I would dearly love to hear Johnson's honest opinions of the transfers last summer, it felt so disjointed and I can't believe that LJ honestly thought the business we did was precisely what we needed (despite the fact that he obviously wouldn't moan to the press about it, then or now).

What with @Kid in the Riot's revelations ((I think it was you Kid, apologies if not), to me at least, which certainly rang true, that the appointment story for Ashton was somewhat inflated then it's fair to say, though my eyes aren't completely jaundice, they're not so white as they once were. 

If Ashton is concerned about working with a "manager" rather than a "head coach" or someone older rather than younger than him (though this is probably more about whether they can be "controlled" or not), then this is another black mark, whether his toes are being stepped on a bit or not. Someone like Hughton or Cook have pretty well proven ability to scout and bring in talent that works for them. Ashton appears well suited to the negotiating table which is ultimately the important part. So what if he has a little less responsibility for scouting? It's fair to say my attitude is very much for him to have to adjust and deal with it for the good of Bristol City Football Club and the unwavering support of Steve and Maggie Lansdown. If you actually do want to deliver promotion, because ultimately the transfer business we did last summer - we can't afford to mess up like that again.

10 hours ago, Monkeh said:

as ceo he is in charge of the club and runs the business he will be interviewing on lansdowns behalf, if holden vets appoint its 100% mark ashton and if that's the case he needs to **** off 

If this is the case it won't be Bob Monkhouse's love child leaving,,,it'll be a good few of us...especially the old un's.....

Seen it all too many times to have the piss taken yet again.

Surely Lansdown can't be this bloody daft????

52 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Well he hasn't done what LJ was doing. So he clearly has other ideas.

Benkovic back in. 352. Weimann in central midfield. Settled side.

Johnson was not doing that. Holden is obviously his own man. Assistants I believe generally follow what the manager wants. That's their job.

That's obvious, nobody in their right mind would have taken over and done the same as LJ but I'd say assistants generally share the same principles etc as the manager, especially when they are brought in by the manager. That's why LJ employed him.....twice.

Additionally, Holden was working with no pressure on his job, no expectation and nothing to play for. Will be a completely different game when we restart.

Dean Holden was a key part of day to day training and a failing management team that was not getting anywhere near the best out of what they had available to them. I really don't believe you can hide from that fact. 

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Since GJ in about 05 so didn’t see TP or BL. The SOD era was bad but for me better due to the win over Rovers and the fact he bought in some excellent players. Millen was worse for me.

05? And there's me thinking you have been around the club for many decades. I have seen it all, way back to before Fred Ford, and I can tell you this is so typical of BCFC, it is so typical that I just accept it, like the acceptance this club just can't go that extra mile that has been the monkey on our back for too long.

Archived