IGNORED

Mark Ashton - Opinions

iamsober

1 minute ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

MA came out publicly at the start of the process of identifying our next manager and stated that the "the phone started ringing with candidates from across the globe" where has it gone so wrong that we now look set to employ from within. 

Have a search online for an artificial highlighting Ashton's time at Watford. May open your eyes a little to how he likes to operate. 

I have praised his ability to negotiate good fees for departing players. However have we seen that money reinvested well? My opinion would be no.

The topic title states opinion. I have simply shared mine. 

We’ve wasted millions on players who have barely played once they get to the club . Millions 

2 minutes ago, SimonL said:

@Portland Bill this is the article I was referring to. 

We will never know the full goings on from within the club but I found this article to be very interesting about his previous roles. 

Your entitled to your opinion, I simply want to gauge if others are of the same mindset or whether I am overthinking the damage that may be caused from this head coach appointment. 

We have progressed a hell of a lot over a 4 year period. It would be a shame to see us regress now. 

I agree with the op but its based on the assumption that holden gets the job, which may not yet happen.

what i would say is that for a head of recruitment the squad is very unbalanced, and there are a lot of players with nominal values on big wages. Hes stuck now because he cant go to lansdown and tell him the squad is bloated with dead wood seeing as he recruited them all.

im also not convinced that jon lansdown/ and the first team manager couldnt have agreed the fees for our players that ashton has. 

4 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

We’ve wasted millions on players who have barely played once they get to the club . Millions 

This is my main concern too,, they spent 5 million or so on palmer and szmodics who have played a couple of hours of football between them this season. That could have gone on a very good box to box midfielder, but instead we sell our only box to box midfielder.

Said it in another thread yesterday, but I don’t think we’d have struggled getting that money for any of the players sold at the time they were sold regardless of who was in charge. 

Fees went mental 5 odd years ago, it’s no surprise we started seeing some of our better players go for a lot of money.

I’ve said from day one, that Ashton is a smarmy ***! He tries to baffle you with bullshit, what with his ******* corporate buzz words! When we were playing well and beating Man Utd, you couldn’t get that bastards face off the telly or papers! If a prospective manager feels they can’t work with him, then that ****** should go! After all, what are his footballing credentials?

The most ironic part of the RUMOURS (and yes they may only be rumours)  surrounding the head coach search is that some are unwilling to work under Ashton's current regime. Some are rumoured to want more control over transfers etc. 

Yet Gregor reports that we are now set to take a cheaper option of appointing from within as budgets are tight. 

Yet the man causing a potential stumbling block for the likes of Hughton etc is taking home an absolute wedge every year.

1 minute ago, Carey 6 said:

Said it in another thread yesterday, but I don’t think we’d have struggled getting that money for any of the players sold at the time they were sold regardless of who was in charge. 

Fees went mental 5 odd years ago, it’s no surprise we started seeing some of our better players go for a lot of money.

They sold themselves for peanuts to smallish prem clubs 

52 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

Apologies in advance for what is going to be another negative thread. 

I've been on the fence in regards to Mark Ashton for quite some time. I'll give credit to his ability to get a decent fee for players we have sold. However the further you look into how that money has been reinvested, big doubts start to creep in. 

Now add in the circus that we currently find ourselves in (with no communication from the club at all). I feel that MA has too much power, so much so that this is starting to look like the point in which we will regress. 

The head coach situation has been nothing short of a disgrace. The only correspondence we have received as fans was at the very start of the search. At which time MA came across as very arrogant stating he had "received applications from all over the footballing world". 

However, fast forward 4 and a half weeks and we look set to appoint Dean Holden. I respect Dean, I feel he is a good assistant and is likely to have some characteristics that could forge a career as a manager, but he is not the right candidate for where we currently are. It is nothing short of being considered a huge risk. 

He has not come across well at all during this interviewing process in my opinion. Yes finances may be difficult currently but the club knew this before parting ways with LJ. He openly told fans that the level of applicants stretched right across Europe and other parts of the world. So I would love to know what went so wrong that after a 4 and a half week search we end up appointing the man already in temporary control. Shambles! 

Mark Ashton, SL and JL have continuously spouted about the next step being us pushing for promotion. The press has repeatedly reported that the likes of Hughton, Cook and foreign candidates being interested in the job. Then we reportedly offered Gerrard 50K a week to join us. But instead we look to take a cheap option and in all likeliness an easy YES option. 

I'm interested to see everyone's opinions on Mark Ashton, and if others feel the same as me...

that his ego and reluctance to relinquish power to managers that have previously been successful by working their own  way, is going to stop us from progressing any further in the short term future. 

No wonder I drink

38 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

MA came out publicly at the start of the process of identifying our next manager and stated that the "the phone started ringing with candidates from across the globe" where has it gone so wrong that we now look set to employ from within. 

Have a search online for an artificial highlighting Ashton's time at Watford. May open your eyes a little to how he likes to operate. 

I have praised his ability to negotiate good fees for departing players. However have we seen that money reinvested well? My opinion would be no.

The topic title states opinion. I have simply shared mine. 

I’m no great fan of MA, I don’t like people who come across as ‘swarm you.

But it wasn’t to do with MA why I replied to your post.

I’m trying to work out why, and how you have come to the conclusion that Holden is to be our new manager?

Have the club stated this, or are you getting your thoughts from reading this forum? 

50 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

Insults to ANYONE isn't needed. Mark Ashton is a parent too. Absolutely no difference at all. Just think about it.

Totally agree!! But we are allowed to comment about the performance of his job

He works in the public domain, it's fair to comment on his performance

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m no great fan of MA, I don’t like people who come across as ‘swarm you.

But it wasn’t to do with MA why I replied to your post.

I’m trying to work out why, and how you have come to the conclusion that Holden is to be our new manager?

Have the club stated this, or are you getting your thoughts from reading this forum? 

I am not ITK, I like many others on the forum am concerned following on from Gregor's latest article as it indicates that it's close to completion. It may be that the club have asked him to post this to test the water. It may also be total guesswork. 

However if there's is an element of truth to it. Then the blame lies with MA. 

1 hour ago, Badger08 said:

He's done a great job, and we don't know he's doing a bad one now, it's all gossip and rumours. 

I can only take on board facts, and that is he's made us a lot of money and negotiated some great deals for the club.
not having a go at you over se, but you say “great job” in your first sentence and “made us a lot of money” in the sentence above....but you’ve looked at one side of the equation, like many others.  What about inbound recruitment?  It’s only fair to look at that in conjunction.  I’d say him and LJ have been poor in this aspect, not just in terms of the pure finances versus minutes on the pitch, but the lack of succession planning, the lack of a system to recruit to, is a big Red Cross against him (and LJ).  What about the cost of our footballing operation?  Do we need to pay him £450k pa (probably more than that?).  Do we get full value for that?

The rest is needless witch hunting as per usual from our impatient and blood thirsty supporters.

I’ve done a fair bit of research re MA and my negativity towards him is neither a witch hunt, impatience nor blood thirsty....it’s based on a view that he’s looking after his own interest / profile than Bristol City. 

Like loose women. 

1 hour ago, chinapig said:

The fault ultimately lies with SL for giving one man so much power over the entire operation. Especially one who is not qualified on the football side.

Indeed it does.  Let him in, in 2012, let him back in late 2015.

10 hours ago, awbb said:

Though it's far to early to sack him, I would say that this appointment (whenever it might happen) actually is important. Selling players for big money is all well and good and he's clearly capable of that but he can't have carte blanche to run the club without being accountable in his other areas of responsibility too. 

I would dearly love to hear Johnson's honest opinions of the transfers last summer, it felt so disjointed and I can't believe that LJ honestly thought the business we did was precisely what we needed (despite the fact that he obviously wouldn't moan to the press about it, then or now).

What with @Kid in the Riot's revelations ((I think it was you Kid, apologies if not), to me at least, which certainly rang true, that the appointment story for Ashton was somewhat inflated then it's fair to say, though my eyes aren't completely jaundice, they're not so white as they once were. 

If Ashton is concerned about working with a "manager" rather than a "head coach" or someone older rather than younger than him (though this is probably more about whether they can be "controlled" or not), then this is another black mark, whether his toes are being stepped on a bit or not. Someone like Hughton or Cook have pretty well proven ability to scout and bring in talent that works for them. Ashton appears well suited to the negotiating table which is ultimately the important part. So what if he has a little less responsibility for scouting? It's fair to say my attitude is very much for him to have to adjust and deal with it for the good of Bristol City Football Club and the unwavering support of Steve and Maggie Lansdown. If you actually do want to deliver promotion, because ultimately the transfer business we did last summer - we can't afford to mess up like that again.

Exactly, why not do a bit less in the recruitment area.....unless that scuppers you’re control of a situation of using certain agents.  Don’t get me wrong, I lay a lot of blame on LJ for not calling him out if he wasn’t getting the players he wanted.

19 minutes ago, Matthew me said:

Totally agree!! But we are allowed to comment about the performance of his job

He works in the public domain, it's fair to comment on his performance

You could easily say our transfer record has been good the last few years. The odd disaster but that happens when you shop in Lidl rather than Waitrose

We are also bashing him for an outcome we don’t yet know. There is a frenzy of angst on here that Holden is the chosen one - has this been confirmed? No. Even if it is Holden maybe the other candidates wanted too much money / transfer funds - who even knows?

The majority on here just bash Ashton continually because of his corporate nature - again - pathetic. Would you prefer a ******* milk farmer from Shepton Mallet in charge of a multi million budget? ***** sake people 

23 minutes ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I am not ITK, I like many others on the forum am concerned following on from Gregor's latest article as it indicates that it's close to completion. It may be that the club have asked him to post this to test the water. It may also be total guesswork. 

However if there's is an element of truth to it. Then the blame lies with MA. 

Are the board that dumb they don't know our reaction? The answer has to be an emphatic no.... So this tweet therefore has to be fake news. 

Archived