IGNORED

Mark Ashton - Opinions

iamsober

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You could easily say our transfer record has been good the last few years. The odd disaster but that happens when you shop in Lidl rather than Waitrose

We are also bashing him for an outcome we don’t yet know. There is a frenzy of angst on here that Holden is the chosen one - has this been confirmed? No. Even if it is Holden maybe the other candidates wanted too much money / transfer funds - who even knows?

The majority on here just bash Ashton continually because of his corporate nature - again - pathetic. Would you prefer a ******* milk farmer from Shepton Mallet in charge of a multi million budget? ***** sake people 

Wow, that's a very biased view

Weve had plenty of poor transfers 

Backed LJ too long 

Taken more than a month to appoint

And it appears our best option is a bloke that was part of the problem with zero experience

If that's not an issue, Ive no idea how low everyone's standards have fallen

1 minute ago, Matthew me said:

Wow, that's a very biased view

why is it biased? It’s an opinion

Weve had plenty of poor transfers

Have we had more bad transfers than good ones? As said before - when you shop in Lidl there are no guarantees 

Backed LJ too long 

I agree but until we were not going to make the playoffs no club would have sacked him

Taken more than a month to appoint

It is what it is. Guys like Hughton etc will have multiple options. It’s not one way. 

And it appears our best option is a bloke that was part of the problem with zero experience

Harsh but I understand your frustration.

If that's not an issue, Ive no idea how low everyone's standards have fallen

Not low standards. Did you go to games in the nineties? 

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Amazing how many of our fans actually think Mark Ashton is responsible for deciding who the manager of Bristol City is...there's a bloke living in Guernsey, who owns 98% of the club, whose opinion probably carries a fair bit more weight in these matters...

That would be the worry... This would only be an SL appointment... Personally I can't see it. Fake news and all that.

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Amazing how many of our fans actually think Mark Ashton is responsible for deciding who the manager of Bristol City is...there's a bloke living in Guernsey, who owns 98% of the club, whose opinion probably carries a fair bit more weight in these matters...

Right! Then sack him, sack the board - even sack the tea lady.  Seriously, it would be very interesting to hear the reasoning behind and decision. The trouble is that most of the matter will have to remain confidential, quite rightly.

4 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Exactly this. Lansdown has always pulled the strings and he like those puppets on a short leash, that's what worries me when he appoints managers, they have to fall in line like everyone else. 

Opinions on Mark Ashton? Full of shit and SL yes man.

Can’t deny he’s made us millions and well done on that, but he should be doing it as a financial director rather than a CEO and have a far less influence. 

Get in a proper football person as a technical director. Someone who knows the fans and can connect with us would be a start. But that would require SL conceding his way of running the club has serious flaws. 

• Admin
23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

History would prove this to be incorrect

2 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

I'm worried that next season we might be "lose" men.  :ranting:

Seriously, if Ashton is the reason we couldn't attract a better manager than Dean Holden then he can f- right off. No matter how much money he's made from player trading. 

I hope after this tortuous affair is finally over, SL gets someone to review the whole process, decide what went well and what didn't, and take the appropriate action. Then again, pigs might fly.

24 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Right! Then sack him, sack the board - even sack the tea lady.  Seriously, it would be very interesting to hear the reasoning behind and decision. The trouble is that most of the matter will have to remain confidential, quite rightly.

All staff should be accountable, including the owner! 

I stand by my comment, board not fit for purpose

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Deep breath ffs. Embarrassing 

Sorry, I don't get why it's embarrassing to express frustration at the potential of our new manager being DH.

I think you're way off...

The majority of fans are equally fed up that our next manager could be a lad that couldn't get the Oldham job and was part of a woeful few years.

Zero experience

Part of an awful set up this season

Never been a full time manager 

Never played top level

Why on earth wouldn't we be frustrated?

I'm sure he's a great lad, but his first job should not be managing a championship team with so called ambition to go up

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

You could easily say our transfer record has been good the last few years. The odd disaster but that happens when you shop in Lidl rather than Waitrose

We are also bashing him for an outcome we don’t yet know. There is a frenzy of angst on here that Holden is the chosen one - has this been confirmed? No. Even if it is Holden maybe the other candidates wanted too much money / transfer funds - who even knows?

The majority on here just bash Ashton continually because of his corporate nature - again - pathetic. Would you prefer a ******* milk farmer from Shepton Mallet in charge of a multi million budget? ***** sake people 

I have no problem with his “speak”, I kinda expect him to talk like a suit.

39 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

But who is doing the recommendation Kid?  Who’s sat in the interviews?

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have no problem with his “speak”, I kinda expect him to talk like a suit.

But who is doing the recommendation Kid?  Who’s sat in the interviews?

MA is conducting the recruitment process along with JL. I would have thought SL himself would be present in the final interviews, either in person, or on video link.

MA can make all the recommendations he likes. The decision rests with the Lansdowns, and he knows it. 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What’s wrong with Shepton Mallet? COYR 

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

MA is conducting the recruitment process along with JL. I would have thought SL himself would be present in the final interviews, either in person, or on video link.

MA can make all the recommendations he likes. The decision rests with the Lansdowns, and he knows it. 

Of course he can, so are you suggesting SL is influencing MA in terms of who he recommends?

11 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

God help us if JL is an active part of this process. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he handed Gerrard or CH his crayons and asked for an autograph. 

5 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

so are you suggesting SL is influencing MA in terms of who he recommends?

"what we will do right now is we will pull together the list - we have had conversations with the owners about the type of individual we're looking for, and from that list we will start to interview"

Mark Ashton, 8th July

2 minutes ago, redordead1 said:

God help us if JL is an active part of this process. Wouldn’t be at all surprised if he handed Gerrard or CH his crayons and asked for an autograph. 

Which probably would make them more likely to sign - as they knew they had the upper hand on the chairman from day one.

I think the truth is pretty close to what @Kid in the Riot has said. It’s SLs decision. And SLs Achilles heel has always been (in a football sense) needing to appoint people he likes. I’d imagine it was different in part at HL, but even there, as at any company, the board and high level have to at least superficially get on.

The way I see it is that SL wants to protect and help the people he likes - he did that with LJ, Tins - and now it looks like he may do it with DH. There’s a lot admirable about that - but unlike in HL, where there are multiple other managers and the brokers themselves working independently to get results, in football if you appoint someone you like as boss it’s all on him. And if it’s the wrong man (not saying Holden is), it’s very difficult to pull back.

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Of course he can, so are you suggesting SL is influencing MA in terms of who he recommends?

JL is also a member of the board and literally involved in short-listing candidates. SL confirmed this in his Talksport interview with Jim White. So, yes, it's a fair assumption to make that SL is part of/influencing the recruitment process, either through Jon, or more directly. 

1 minute ago, Kid in the Riot said:

JL is also a member of the board and literally involved in short-listing candidates. SL confirmed this in his Talksport interview with Jim White. So, yes, it's a fair assumption to make that SL is part of/influencing the recruitment process, either through Jon, or more directly. 

Surely Ashton would present pros and cons for each individual to SL to make a final decision ?

1 hour ago, AshtonRobin21 said:

I am not ITK, I like many others on the forum am concerned following on from Gregor's latest article as it indicates that it's close to completion. It may be that the club have asked him to post this to test the water. It may also be total guesswork. 

However if there's is an element of truth to it. Then the blame lies with MA. 

I owe you an apology, I hadn’t read the forum today before I answered your post earlier. So didn’t realise it was all DH talk, and the strong rumours of his appointment. 

After reading the forum, I now understand why you have these concerns ?

I must admit I’m as confused as you and many others as to why SL would go down this route .....again. 

Archived