IGNORED

Mark Ashton - Opinions

iamsober

1 hour ago, Kid in the Riot said:

MA is conducting the recruitment process along with JL. I would have thought SL himself would be present in the final interviews, either in person, or on video link.

MA can make all the recommendations he likes. The decision rests with the Lansdowns, and he knows it. 

@Kid in the Riot is Gregor on the money or are we all wetting ourselves over nothing fella?

1 minute ago, ScottishRed said:

I think that may only be the start.

And, the blame lies with the owner and his comments on LJ being fired.

He cannot keep treating us like fools.

What if....just what if...the board really thought that Dean Holden was the best man for the job in current circumstances? Maybe his brief is t really bed in the young players this season when the transfer budget may be very low and there is not even the guarantee of decent income through the gate.  Maybe, just maybe someone on high is playing a longer game.

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

What if....just what if...the board really thought that Dean Holden was the best man for the job in current circumstances? Maybe his brief is t really bed in the young players this season when the transfer budget may be very low and there is not even the guarantee of decent income through the gate.  Maybe, just maybe someone on high is playing a longer game.

Hang on a minute.

When LJ was fired the owner made his statement regarding promotion etc. That does not support the young player argument 

At that point Covid was here, are you suggesting that the club had not done the work on that impact? 

It is simply an excuse to cover the fact the  owner and his son, along with Ashton wish to have total control.

Personally, I think we have a good enough squad that could make the play offs with the right management.

Just now, ScottishRed said:

Hang on a minute.

When LJ was fired the owner made his statement regarding promotion etc. That does not support the young player argument 

At that point Covid was here, are you suggesting that the club had not done the work on that impact? 

It is simply an excuse to cover the fact the  owner and his son, along with Ashton wish to have total control.

Personally, I think we have a good enough squad that could make the play offs with the right management.

I am not suggesting anything. But what if the price tag for some of the other contenders was huge and would get in the way of player purchases?  We don't even know if we can have fans in the Gat next year.  The thinking may just have developed that we have some outstanding young players and if we could bring them on to the extent that we had a real chance next season, when we may be able to supplement the squad from trading. I have no more idea than any of the other guesswork on this forum - but my postings are normally quite positive and not loaded with the hatred and resentment shown by some of our colleagues .

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I am not suggesting anything. But what if the price tag for some of the other contenders was huge and would get in the way of player purchases?  We don't even know if we can have fans in the Gat next year.  The thinking may just have developed that we have some outstanding young players and if we could bring them on to the extent that we had a real chance next season, when we may be able to supplement the squad from trading. I have no more idea than any of the other guesswork on this forum - but my postings are normally quite positive and not loaded with the hatred and resentment shown by some of our colleagues .

We need to start paying a larger portion of the budget on a decent manager.  If it means cutting down the squad size or not getting player A or B then so be it. But this club is crying out for a proven manager, not another gamble. 

No hatred or resentment here.

I think you need to remember what industry our owner made his money.

I dont belive for one second the numbers have not been processed. 

Given that we were prepared to make Gerrard the highest paid Championship manager alllegedly, your argument holds no water.

The Robins are 12th after Saturday's loss to sixth-placed Cardiff City, who are now nine points above them.

Chief executive Mark Ashton said, while there had been some "special moments" under Johnson, "change" was needed.

"We recognise the huge amount of work that Lee has put in over the last four and a half years to move this club forward and we thank him for all his efforts," added Ashton.

"However, success in football is ultimately judged by results and league position and the board believes that a change of management is needed now for Bristol City."

Just now, southvillekiddy said:

The Robins are 12th after Saturday's loss to sixth-placed Cardiff City, who are now nine points above them.

Chief executive Mark Ashton said, while there had been some "special moments" under Johnson, "change" was needed.

"We recognise the huge amount of work that Lee has put in over the last four and a half years to move this club forward and we thank him for all his efforts," added Ashton.

"However, success in football is ultimately judged by results and league position and the board believes that a change of management is needed now for Bristol City."

Says it all.

1 minute ago, lenred said:

We need to start paying a larger portion of the budget on a decent manager.  If it means cutting down the squad size or not getting player A or B then so be it. But this club is crying out for a proven manager, not another gamble. 

Its a view. But what if they REALLY think that Dean Holden is both talented and capable?

8 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

The price tag wasn’t a barrier to Gerrard. If the club suggest Holden’s appointment (if it is even made) was down to finances they will be lying to us.

3 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

No hatred or resentment here.

I think you need to remember what industry our owner made his money.

I dont belive for one second the numbers have not been processed. 

Given that we were prepared to make Gerrard the highest paid Championship manager alllegedly, your argument holds no water.

Holds no water except that someone may have said, " wait a minute, instead of paying all that cash for a manager, we could keep Dean and buy a player who could make a real difference to our young squad".   That might be a possibility.

Just now, Bat Fastard said:

Its a view. But what if they REALLY think that Dean Holden is both talented and capable?

Based upon what though?  He was an instrumental part of the management team that in their eyes has already failed.  It would be a massive massive gamble with the odds very much stacked against any success at all and frankly would make no sense whatsoever.  

1 minute ago, windmillhillred said:

The price tag wasn’t a barrier to Gerrard. If the club suggest Holden’s appointment (if it is even made) was down to finances they will be lying to us.

Lying doesn't come into it - there is probably a lively debate doing on, and minds will be changed.

Based upon what though?  He was an instrumental part of the management team that in their eyes has already failed.  It would be a massive massive gamble with the odds very much stacked against any success at all and frankly would make no sense whatsoever.  

We don't know if there were tensions in the coaching team and that the board do not really rate Dean Holden. Everyone is thinking he is not up to the job - but we don't get to see him work over a four year period.

Just now, windmillhillred said:

Not sure we’ll agree! If Holden is appointed it will be indicative of a shocking failure of the recruitment process.

You are dismissing the possibility that he might have been the best candidate to fill the job description.

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

We don't know if there were tensions in the coaching team and that the board do not really rate Dean Holden. Everyone is thinking he is not up to the job - but we don't get to see him work over a four year period.

We have seen the results of his key involvement of the last 4 years and it wasn’t deemed good enough. If you believe they really think he’s the right man for the job then fair play to you but it’s mind boggling to most people - if it’s true of course.  

We have seen the results of his key involvement of the last 4 years and it wasn’t deemed good enough. If you believe they really think he’s the right man for the job then fair play to you but it’s mind boggling to most people - if it’s true of course.  

I have no idea whether or not he will be any good if appointed - but neither do others on this forum.  They start with the belief that SL known nothing about football and that MA and JL are useless or worse and that Dean Holden could not possibly be a viable candidate.  Nobody can possible really know all that stuff, it is just opinion and in most cases bile.  I have an open mind and believe that the board are talented and decent people, who are quite likely to make a decent decision. It does not mean that they are perfect or cannot make mistakes, but I have a degree of faith in them.

1 minute ago, windmillhillred said:

Yes. Because he so obviously isn’t.

Your opinion.  He may well be an excellent coach and ready for a step up.  This may be a very big step up, but the board may think he is worthy of the opportunity. Maybe they know the situation better than you do?  Who knows?

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

You are dismissing the possibility that he might have been the best candidate to fill the job description.

A pretty good rule of thumb when recruiting is to assign 60% to the person's achievements and 40% to how well they interview.

As Dean has no achievements as a Head Coach it's pretty hard to see how he could score higher than other candidates.

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Your opinion.  He may well be an excellent coach and ready for a step up.  This may be a very big step up, but the board may think he is worthy of the opportunity. Maybe they know the situation better than you do?  Who knows?

Sorry you’re really suggesting that the best option to take us to the premier league - as is the club’s stated aim - between Hughton, Cook and Holden might be Holden? Can you not see that is utterly, patently absurd? 

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Exactly, why not do a bit less in the recruitment area.....unless that scuppers you’re control of a situation of using certain agents.  Don’t get me wrong, I lay a lot of blame on LJ for not calling him out if he wasn’t getting the players he wanted.

why start another thread?

2 minutes ago, windmillhillred said:

Sorry you’re really suggesting that the best option to take us to the premier league - as is the club’s stated aim - between Hughton, Cook and Holden might be Holden? Can you not see that is utterly, patently absurd? 

I do not really know if it is absurd or not because I do not know Holden or his capabilities.  The players seem to think well of him and there may be a feeling in the camp that he would do a good job.  Everyone has to start a management career with a first proper job and this may be his chance.  I doubt if any of us fans really know very much about the dynamics of relationships and abilities within the team and staff.  Like he, they will be guessing and trying to make sense out of what seems like a brave appointment.  Unless yo believe that he board really want to destroy the club, maybe you should wonder why they might appoint him - and try to look for positive reasons. There may well be some.

Archived