Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, RedRock said:

... unfortunately for us, they seemed to be making the correct call then.

If someone had listened it might have been us last night winning the play off final with Joe and Bobby. 

 

I’ve no doubt they’re making the  correct call again.

 

FFP suggests otherwise.

Unless you mean different decisions could've meant we shot through with the momentum in 2017/18 winning the playoffs two years ago.

However once that failed, we had to make sales in summer 2018- Birmingham - 9, Sheffield Wednesday - 12, others probably will get a good sized deduction sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah lots of clubs were going into summer 2018 soft embargo, Sheffield Wednesday had further restrictions 2019, Reading summer 2019. This is just off top of my head!

Oh yeah, alternatively EFL Business Plan, as with Birmingham, if needed would've restricted us significantly.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cidered abroad said:

I have nothing against Dean Holden as a person. But his CV does not stack up enough plusses for me to consider him as the one to take City upwards.

Quite the opposite in fact. Yet another dismal second half of the season is making me think that it is more likely that our lack of form will continue well into the upcoming new season.

And the only end result from that is R E L E G A T I O N. You van insult me all you want but it only takes a very poor first six games, to destroy a season of hope.

He may be different in thinking to Johnson, but I believe him to be too similar. If his football philosophy is so different to LJ, why has he stayed here so long because it must have been galling for him to see how poorly the club was managed, footballwise. And the same applies to McAllister.

When you consider managers out there aeound the same age I;e Flyn, Rowe, Wellens etc they've all learnt their trade in the lower divisions so the natural progression would be a bigger club "eventually" once they've proven themself. The problem with Holden he hasn't had managerial experience even at a lower league club so could be well out of his depth next season and reminds of when we had Luke Williams in charge. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP suggests otherwise.

Well maybe if our world-class CEO and his analyst team had signed up Ollie Watkins and that QPR winger when they were there on a plate for us then FFP wouldn’t come in to play. As it is, even if FFP is acting as a check on our selection of manager, then Lowe would be a better bet than Holden. 

The last thing is a ‘rinse and repeat’ of the last 2 years of development that has left us with a bloated, uninterested squad of mediocre players who have little chemistry and not a clue of how they are supposed to be playing as a team on the pitch. 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mozo said:

Even before those sheets were put out there must have been one of the board voicing concern about potential unrest amongst fans. They're not daft.

Oh I dunno. 
The right combination of arrogance and stupidity could well lead to ignorance. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well maybe if our world-class CEO and his analyst team had signed up Ollie Watkins and that QPR winger when they were there on a plate for us then FFP wouldn’t come in to play. As it is, even if FFP is acting as a check on our selection of manager, then Lowe would be a better bet than Holden. 

The last thing is a ‘rinse and repeat’ of the last 2 years of development that has left us with a bloated, uninterested squad of mediocre players who have little chemistry and not a clue of how they are supposed to be playing as a team on the pitch. 

I just meant with respect to keeping Bryan or Reid beyond summer 2018.

Watkins would've been an excellent signing but I'm sure I read on here sometime ago granted that Exeter preferred to sell him to Brentford or were charging is a higher fee? 

Trying to think which QPR winger do you mean?

Agree Holden is definitely not the man. I'm still balancing financial and ambition hoping for Cook personally.

Not so pessimistic about the squad personally. About how it's been managed, coached this season especially however... 

You're right little chemistry or understanding of roles. I'd also add anyone can buy players, but to expand on your point we have frequently lacked in 2019/20 to name a few, structure, cohesion, harmony, a sense of momentum- sure that's not an exhaustive list either!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Med/MadHatter said:

Dean Holdens management record at Oldham was P15 W3 D5 L7, thats 15 pts, x3=45 pts, relegation assured if that doesn't improve!

Reckon you’ve overegged it a tad - isn’t it 14 points and 42 points? Although I am rubbish at Maths ..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

So we are working our way through the list of ex-Oldham managers, working our way down the pool of talent previously working their magic at Boundary Park, from LJ, now to Holden (subject to official confirmation). Who might follow Deano, one wonders?

Paul Scholes?!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bris red said:

Fair play to them. People more a less live their life’s via social media and forum platforms these days. How about actually stepping outside of your house and voicing and opinion.. like i said fair play to them for actually getting out into the big wide world and letting people know how they feel. The same belters on here that are slagging them off are probably the same people that would shuffle past the banners in real life with their heads down in complete silence!

Irony of this post is that the banners are a reaction to rumours on social media about Holden and not anything that's been confirmed.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I just meant with respect to keeping Bryan or Reid beyond summer 2018.

Watkins would've been an excellent signing but I'm sure I read on here sometime ago granted that Exeter preferred to sell him to Brentford or were charging is a higher fee? 

Trying to think which QPR winger do you mean?

Agree Holden is definitely not the man. I'm still balancing financial and ambition hoping for Cook personally.

Not so pessimistic about the squad personally. About how it's been managed, coached this season especially however... 

You're right little chemistry or understanding of roles. I'd also add anyone can buy players, but to expand on your point we have frequently lacked in 2019/20 to name a few, structure, cohesion, harmony, a sense of momentum- sure that's not an exhaustive list either!

Eze, was the winger who - I think - had a trial with us relatively recently and went on to sign for QPR. Now being touted around for £18 million.

Add him to Watkins in the £20-30 million bracket and maybe we aren’t as good as some make us out to be with signing talent...and these are the ones we’ve missed. Add those donkeys we’ve signed, then - even worse - the likes of CoD who we had 2 years to gauge whether or not he was any good and then gifted him a contract extension for 3-4 years. Lummydaze, we’re actually a bit carp in Mr Ashton’s specialist area tbh. 

Watkins apparently was more for us with an up-front payment, with a reduced sell-on as compared to Brentford. Exeter City clearly know their stuff, effectively betting on Brentford’s player/team development being better than ours. Says a lot really. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

FFP suggests otherwise.

Unless you mean different decisions could've meant we shot through with the momentum in 2017/18 winning the playoffs two years ago.

However once that failed, we had to make sales in summer 2018- Birmingham - 9, Sheffield Wednesday - 12, others probably will get a good sized deduction sooner rather than later.

Oh yeah lots of clubs were going into summer 2018 soft embargo, Sheffield Wednesday had further restrictions 2019, Reading summer 2019. This is just off top of my head!

Oh yeah, alternatively EFL Business Plan, as with Birmingham, if needed would've restricted us significantly.

Lets not forget both JB and BR wanted to move on too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Eze, was the winger who - I think - had a trial with us relatively recently and went on to sign for QPR. Now being touted around for £18 million.

Add him to Watkins in the £20-30 million bracket and maybe we aren’t as good as some make us out to be with signing talent...and these are the ones we’ve missed. Add those donkeys we’ve signed, then - even worse - the likes of CoD who we had 2 years to gauge whether or not he was any good and then gifted him a contract extension for 3-4 years. Lummydaze, we’re actually a bit carp in Mr Ashton’s specialist area tbh. 

Watkins apparently was more for us with an up-front payment, with a reduced sell-on as compared to Brentford. Exeter City clearly know their stuff, effectively betting on Brentford’s player/team development being better than ours. Says a lot really. 

Didn't know/remember we were linked with Eze. Watkins I do vaguely remember and yes that sadly makes some sense with respect to gain from sell on.

That said, Webster, Flint, Bryan, Brownhill, Reid and Kodjia. Have I forgotten anyone? This isn't an argument to shower LJ with praise, more like profit on disposal.

In accounting terms think we made a profit on Magnússon too (Sale Price - Remaining Net Book Value=Profit, Breakeven or loss). 

Oh let's not forget Kelly! Good profit there too.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, TomF said:

Lets not forget both JB and BR wanted to move on too. 

That, FFP and going into final season of their contract really meant we had little choice. 

Shame really as I thought going into that summer that what we needed was a nice bit of stability- we could always have looked to sell in January 2019 if not strongly placed in the League I guess.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

When you consider managers out there aeound the same age I;e Flyn, Rowe, Wellens etc they've all learnt their trade in the lower divisions so the natural progression would be a bigger club "eventually" once they've proven themself. The problem with Holden he hasn't had managerial experience even at a lower league club so could be well out of his depth next season and reminds of when we had Luke Williams in charge. 

That 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Didn't know/remember we were linked with Eze. Watkins I do vaguely remember and yes that sadly makes some sense with respect to gain from sell on.

That said, Webster, Flint, Bryan, Brownhill, Reid and Kodjia. Have I forgotten anyone? This isn't an argument to shower LJ with praise, more like profit on disposal.

In accounting terms think we made a profit on Magnússon too (Sale Price - Remaining Net Book Value=Profit, Breakeven or loss). 

 

You forgot Kelly.

Just checked, Eze definitely did have a trial with us under the LJ regime. 

Opportunities-missed, and duds signed, in my mind, our transfer dealing record ‘credit’ is around neutral for me. We a8nt going to get everyone right, but jesz, do we waste loads of ££££’s - which for a Club with a Strategy based on successful transfer dealings is worrying. Now, Brentford... why can they get it so right and us not?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keith Welch said:

Irony of this post is that the banners are a reaction to rumours on social media about Holden and not anything that's been confirmed.

Doing their little bit to try and make the club stop and think about making an absurd decision that would piss off 95% of supporters.

Interviewed..... shortlisted... what's next?

This indulgent nonsense has to stop NOW.

Edited by Nogbad the Bad
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RedRock said:

You forgot Kelly.

Just checked, Eze definitely did have a trial with us under the LJ regime. 

Opportunities-missed, and duds signed, in my mind, our transfer dealing record ‘credit’ is around neutral for me. We a8nt going to get everyone right, but jesz, do we waste loads of ££££’s - which for a Club with a Strategy based on successful transfer dealings is worrying. Now, Brentford... why can they get it so right and us not?

I did indeed! 

Thanks, will check that one. Always thought he was from QPR academy.

Duds, I'm unsure. How many of those labelled 'duds' have had significant and or recurring injuries? Quite a few I'd have thought! Seems harsh to judge on that basis.

Indeed quite a few of the signings under LJ have. Is it bad luck, something going wrong with how we setup and play, poor training methods?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, RedRock said:

You forgot Kelly.

Just checked, Eze definitely did have a trial with us under the LJ regime. 

Opportunities-missed, and duds signed, in my mind, our transfer dealing record ‘credit’ is around neutral for me. We a8nt going to get everyone right, but jesz, do we waste loads of ££££’s - which for a Club with a Strategy based on successful transfer dealings is worrying. Now, Brentford... why can they get it so right and us not?

The same Brentford that appointed their assistant coach and almost got promoted playing fantastic football?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

The same Brentford that appointed their assistant coach and almost got promoted playing fantastic football?

Yep, that’s the fellow. The same one who managed Brøndby for 3 seasons and various Danish National sides before he joined Brentford.. 

 

Top man he is too. Spoke well after the defeat last night.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

The same Brentford that appointed their assistant coach and almost got promoted playing fantastic football?

and was part of a successful management team that saw their head coach depart for a job at AV, not be sacked.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

The same Brentford that appointed their assistant coach and almost got promoted playing fantastic football?

Not saying Holden won't do a job but there is a massive difference. Dean Smith and Thomas Frank had been working on the recruitment strategy and style of play that Brentford employ for quite some time. Bristol City have a recruitment strategy that changes with the wind and doesn't even appear to be controlled by "football" staff and certainly no style of play......we use a strange contraption pilfered from some derelict Bedminster Bingo Hall to select the team and generally go with three or four different systems in the same game to try and correct what isn't working and any "style" of play that can be vaguely detected is quite Frank(ly) a cure for insomnia. A very different scenario from Brentford.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Keith Welch said:

The same Brentford that appointed their assistant coach and almost got promoted playing fantastic football?

The comparison between Thomas Frank and Dean Holden sadly goes no further than the fact that they have been assistant managers...as has been explained in numerous posts over the past couple of days. Google Thomas Frank and you'll see his managerial record.

Edited by Red Exile
  • Like 3
  • Flames 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Harry said:

Oh I dunno. 
The right combination of arrogance and stupidity could well lead to ignorance. 

Harry, that combination has never held me back in life...

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...