IGNORED

Team Next Season

RedRoss

To take some respite from all the manager talk..

Seemingly whoever takes over is going to have to work with what we've got to some degree, of course we will do business in certain positions but largely we will use the squad.

How would you line up with and in what formation?

Also what positions would you be looking to improve on? RB springs to mind for me and wouldn't mind going 3 at the back so would need another CB. A striker if Fam goes which looks likely.

What's your thoughts?

I think given Covid, and given that our model seemingly relies on selling our best players, there will be an impetus to play our youth.

Walsh, Moore, Morrell could all leave now for relative peanuts. One breakthrough season though (a la Reid/Kelly) adds millions and millions to their value. 

My personal opinion is we’ve decided that next year is not the year to ‘go for it’, and that we’d be quite happy treading water and adding value to the squad. 

I have mixed feelings on that. I feel we could be well placed to challenge, but I also fear some fans around the country won’t even have a club to support in 6 months time. So, I’d take treading water over flirting with financial ruin.

1 minute ago, Robin101 said:

I think given Covid, and given that our model seemingly relies on selling our best players, there will be an impetus to play our youth.

Walsh, Moore, Morrell could all leave now for relative peanuts. One breakthrough season though (a la Reid/Kelly) adds millions and millions to their value. 

My personal opinion is we’ve decided that next year is not the year to ‘go for it’, and that we’d be quite happy treading water and adding value to the squad. 

I have mixed feelings on that. I feel we could be well placed to challenge, but I also fear some fans around the country won’t even have a club to support in 6 months time. So, I’d take treading water over flirting with financial ruin.

Reasonable thinking, Robin101.

However, look at it from the opposite point of view and because so many clubs may be financially threatened, this could be the best chance we will have in a long time?

2 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Reasonable thinking, Robin101.

However, look at it from the opposite point of view and because so many clubs may be financially threatened, this could be the best chance we will have in a long time?

Yes I completely agree with that too. As I say, mixed feelings. But it would ultimately be a gamble. Only the board know how big a gamble it would really be.

6 minutes ago, Robin101 said:

Very reasonable assessment of next season. Bit of a consoladation season and add value to the squad if we get some good performers that step up.

The only risk is that we put too much trust in the youth to find that value and we find ourselves flirting not with financial ruin but relegation instead. It's going to be a tough ask for a new manager regardless.

Predicting next seasons squad at the start of the summer window is pointless and stupid.

...so here's my attempt:

Bentley

Hunt                        Moore                           New CB (Eliasson funds?)                  Kalas                  DaSilva

Walsh                                  Nagy                      

Palmer

Wells                                      Fam

Subs (assuming big benches like post lockdown): Max, Vyner, Baker, Rowe, Massengo, Paterson, Watkins, Weimann, Szmodics, O'Dowda.

Looking at this we could do with a boost at RB, cover at LB, and a CB obviously. 

Disclaimer: This will not be how we look on matchday 1. 

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

We are short of 3 players imo, a right back, a defensive midfielder and a striker,

Im willing to give walsh and morrell a chance as well as oleary stepping up

I think your about right there and possibly a right winger if its 4-4-2 we play

At a guess atm, * I think Korey will be offered a 1 year deal if Dean is appointed, if Dean is appointed I wouldn't be surprised for Massengo to be loaned out given he didn't get 1 minute under Holden. Think we'll recruit a new RB unless we're happy for Vyner/Moore to try and fill in at RWB when Hunt can't play, wouldn't be surprised for an out an out ball winner to be recruited and another striker if Fam is sold. 

Bentley

Vyner                      Kalas                      Moore

Hunt                                                                                              Dasilva

K.Smith*/New         Morrell

Walsh                                  Paterson

Wells

Depending on who comes in it'll depend on the formation in my opinion but I would say we suit the 3-5-2. I'd go for

O'Leary, Vyner, Kalas, Baker/Moore, Hunt, Dasilva, Nagy, Morrell/Massengo, Palmer, Wells and Weimann

The squad itself for me is way too light for players outwide we need a backup lwb, a rwb as well as some wingers as I'd imagine Eliasson is off and O'Dowda has never hit the heights we had hoped after the contract saga.

As an aside I haven't picked Fam in my squad because again with one year left on his contract I imagine he'll have a fair bit of interest and a replacement should be signed but we won't know who that is so I have gone from players in the squad. 

Due to this bloody pandemic next season will be difficult for all clubs. It could be that, other than those falling out of the Premier league with parachute money, there may not be much in the way of significant fees paid for new signings. To avoid financial hardship clubs could be forced into selling their best players and could then find it difficult to buy in a suppressed market as their rivals try to keep their squads together. We may well lose Fammy and Niclas and finding a way to replace the goals and assists will be difficult, especially if the youngsters don't reach the heights we hope for, but I remain optimistic if for no other reason than other clubs are likely to struggle as well. Brentford's failure in the play offs could see them raided for their brighter stars, with Behrami and Watkins more than likely to leave. As a further example QPR could well lose Eze. We were disappointed to only finish 12th last season but at this stage with teams on penalty points and a not particularly inspiring bunch arriving from L1 I think we'll have more than enough to stave off relegation fears. 

2 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Due to this bloody pandemic next season will be difficult for all clubs. It could be that, other than those falling out of the Premier league with parachute money, there may not be much in the way of significant fees paid for new signings. To avoid financial hardship clubs could be forced into selling their best players and could then find it difficult to buy in a suppressed market as their rivals try to keep their squads together. We may well lose Fammy and Niclas and finding a way to replace the goals and assists will be difficult, especially if the youngsters don't reach the heights we hope for, but I remain optimistic if for no other reason than other clubs are likely to struggle as well. Brentford's failure in the play offs could see them raided for their brighter stars, with Behrami and Watkins more than likely to leave. As a further example QPR could well lose Eze. We were disappointed to only finish 12th last season but at this stage with teams on penalty points and a not particularly inspiring bunch arriving from L1 I think we'll have more than enough to stave off relegation fears. 

Premier League clubs could really snap up some Champ players really cheaply.  Champ clubs need the money.

Slightly different scenario, but Ollie Watkins seems to have an £18m release clause.  Dean Smith obviously knew that too!!!

Probably an experienced and tall midfielder on a free, and another striker maybe, probably also a free. Financial reality will kick in, and any sales will no doubt just cover existing contracts and running costs. 
Don’t even rely on Sky, they might be struggling with socially distanced pubs, and an obvious economy for those losing jobs. 

5 minutes ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Leeds, Villa, Fulham, WBA all gone - time to go for it I think 

What money are you planning on using? Income will be minimal for some time... 

I think top priority is a RB, ideally I would just go and get Pereira.

After that I think perhaps a striker, but that depends on what formation we play and where we see Weimanns best position.

Same case with a CB, could do with one if we play a back three.

I think with those additions we would be "fine". Would need more comings and going if we really wanted to push on though.

I am excited to see Morrell and Walsh, I am being positive and pretending in my head they are new signings! (To be fair we would be quite excited if we did sign the league one champions best midfielder)

10 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Sell Eliasson and Fam.

Sell any others we get good money for that we can't turn down.

Sell Hunt if possible or loan out.

Sell Nagy if possible or loan out.

Bring in Gk for free if Max is loaned out.

New RWB, CB, CM and ST

Possibly all loans and frees. Though Joe Williams cheap would be tempting.

I doubt any of above will be going anywhere. Definitely not Fam. We must keep him.

3 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

I doubt any of above will be going anywhere. Definitely not Fam. We must keep him.

All rumour and speculation, but Eliasson and Diedhiou won’t sign new contracts (of course things can change).  As it stands, City will look to sell and use some of the funds generated to buy in new players either on loan or permanently.

Think Watkins would be pretty suited to Bielsa's Leeds personally. 

@Davefevs Hope Aston Villa crash and burn, in some industries that'd be akin to insider dealing!! Had they come down it could've been fantastic to see what might have occurred. Any rules in football about prior knowledge of release clauses?

I digress, as for us next season. Two possible ways to go- always the dilemma about CM. I'm working on a basis that Maenpaa, Williams, Smith all gone and loanees not renewed.

Always the problem with CM. Perm two from 4, could mix and match a bit.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker 

Hunt Walsh Nagy DaSilva

Weimann Wells Paterson

This would be a shape that can shift. Not entirely happy with it but in some phases a loose 3-4-3, Weimann and Paterson as wide forwards. Also think Paterson more suited to helping out in midfield than Palmer.

Then in some phases this can drop into a 3-4-2-1, with Weimann and Paterson dropping off the front a bit more and a bit wider but not too wide- can possibly help out a bit defensively in wider areas as and when.

Lastly, Paterson behind Weimann and Wells, would be a 3-4-1-2 in this phase. Triangles are quite possible to create in this setup and it seems quite fluid or can be. Eliasson and Diedhiou, who knows if they are staying.

Mix and match depending on form, fitness, opposition etc Morrell, Walsh, Nagy and Massengo. Palmer is a good wildcard but thinking about balance I wonder.

Or

Bentley

Hunt Moore Kalas DaSilva

Walsh Nagy Morrell 

Paterson

Weimann Wells

Again you can perm 3 from 4 in CM really. An alternative version of this might be Weimann wide right, Eliasson wide left and Wells up front.

Or Palmer for Paterson but an advantage of this shape again is that Weimann and Paterson can in some phases pull into wider areas causing some defensive issues for the opposition but also creating a bit of cover for the full backs.

Palmer I don't think can do this so much, whereas on the flipside Eliasson wide left isn't too adept at drifting inside- that said his assist v Leeds back in August did show possibilities in this area! Baker first reserve at CB feels a decent place.

PS, we also don't know if Eliasson and Diedhiou will be kept on or sold.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

All rumour and speculation, but Eliasson and Diedhiou won’t sign new contracts (of course things can change).  As it stands, City will look to sell and use some of the funds generated to buy in new players either on loan or permanently.

In view of Covid they'll have little choice but to sign. Fam won't leave unless he's pushed out which ain't going to happen. Elliason will need some persuading but if he has an ounce of sense he'll stay.

3 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

In view of Covid they'll have little choice but to sign. Fam won't leave unless he's pushed out which ain't going to happen. Elliason will need some persuading but if he has an ounce of sense he'll stay.

Why? Despite everything teams will pick them up next summer, especially if things are improving financially

17 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Walsh, Morrell, Semenyo and Vyner. All at the club already. All raring to prove themselves in first team from outset. Job done.

Semenyo and Vyner are not good enough for where we want to be I'm afraid

18 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Davefevs Hope Aston Villa crash and burn, in some industries that'd be akin to insider trading!! Had they come down it could've been fantastic to see what might have occurred.

I digress, as for us next season. Two possible ways to go- always the dilemma about CM. I'm working on a basis that Maenpaa, Williams, Smith all gone and loanees not renewed.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker 

Hunt Walsh Nagy DaSilva

Weimann Wells Paterson

This would be a shape that can shift. Not entirely happy with it but in some phases a loose 3-4-3, Weimann and Paterson as wide forwards. Also think Paterson more suited to helping out in midfield than Palmer.

Then in some phases this can drop into a 3-4-2-1, with Weimann and Paterson dropping off the front a bit more and a bit wider but not too wide- can possibly help out a bit defensively in wider areas as and when.

Lastly, Paterson behind Weimann and Wells, would be a 3-4-1-2 in this phase. Triangles are quite possible to create in this setup and it seems quite fluid or can be. Eliasson and Diedhiou, who knows if they are staying.

Mix and match depending on form, fitness, opposition etc Morrell, Walsh, Nagy and Massengo. Palmer is a good wildcard but thinking about balance I wonder.

Or

Bentley

Hunt Moore Kalas DaSilva

Walsh Nagy Morrell 

Paterson

Weimann Wells

Again you can perm 3 from 4 in CM really. An alternative version of this might be Weimann wide right, Eliasson wide left and Wells up front.

Or Palmer for Paterson but an advantage of this shape again is that Weimann and Paterson can in some phases pull into wider areas causing some defensive issues for the opposition but also creating a bit of cover for the full backs.

Palmer I don't think can do this so much, whereas on the flipside Eliasson wide left isn't too adept at drifting inside- that said his assist v Leeds back in August did show possibilities in this area! Baker first reserve at CB feels a decent place.

I think you've just leapfrogged Holden in the manager betting, well done

7 minutes ago, 2015 said:

Semenyo and Vyner are not good enough for where we want to be I'm afraid

Where do we want to be? Would be very interested to know that because the indications from where I'm sitting would suggest we are after securing Championship status next season and nothing else. There are no noises coming out of the club suggesting a promotion push is imminent, that is for sure.

8 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

In view of Covid they'll have little choice but to resign. Fam won't leave unless he's pushed out which ain't going to happen. Elliason will need some persuading but if he has an ounce of sense he'll stay.

Resign / extend under what contractual terms and for how many years?  Current wages?  More wages? Less wages because of covid?  That’s what you need to weigh up against what they (and agent) can get elsewhere, inc signing on fees, agent fees, etc.

They are rumoured to be courted by bigger clubs than us, with European football on offer.  Bristol City is a stepping stone for them.  Look at Kodjia.  They don’t look at a Bristol City as the be all and end all like us fans do.  Both players want to push their international careers forward, especially Eliasson who wants to get into the Euro squad, Diedhiou has had some limelight already.  Eliasson also has new / proactive agent.

The following you can take with a pinch of salt but it shows how a middling Champ side compares to one club, rumoured to be after our 2 players.

https://eurofootballrumours.com/fenerbahce-sk-players-salaries/

“Ounce of sense” says go to Turkey, not stay at a Bristol City.  Same with Celtic too.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

@Davefevs Hope Aston Villa crash and burn, in some industries that'd be akin to insider trading!! Had they come down it could've been fantastic to see what might have occurred.

Bentley

Moore Kalas Baker 

Hunt Walsh Nagy DaSilva

Weimann Wells Paterson

Or

Bentley

Hunt Moore Kalas DaSilva

Walsh Nagy Morrell 

Paterson

Weimann Wells

Trying not to get drawn into line ups until I know manager / system, but despite our apparent weakness (physically) in central midfield it is where we have numbers, and barring Eliasson 1) staying and 2) fitting a system, I’d be plumping for a narrow midfield (in line-up terms) and ditching my widemen!  That would either mean some form of back 3 with WBs providing width, or some form of narrow 4132, 4321 utilising combinations of Walsh, Morrell, Massengo, Nagy in conjunction with Paterson, Szmodics and Palmer.

But I really can’t go much beyond that at the mo’.

Should we recruit that missing “physical box to box CM” then the landscape changes.

Archived