IGNORED

Somethings not right at BCFC.

Ticky2

I actually fear we might sleepwalk into a relegation battle if we appoint Holden- I'm quite cautious often but not usually negative but I just have a bad feeling.

I hope this isn't history repeating, or at least replicating in some respects- 10 years on.

GJ leaves, us in and around midtable but on the slide- suddenly after a relative local derby, late goal loss 3-2- Plymouth.

LJ leaves us, in and around midtable but on the slide- sudenly after a relative local derby, late goal loss 1-0- Cardiff.

Millen comes in and does quite nicely as caretaker.

Holden comes in and does okay as caretaker.

The big name is chased- and appointed- Coppell...but something not quite right, didn't he begin the summer late?

The big name is chased- next level- but not yet/at all appointed??

Coppell walks early doors.

Big Name doesn't come at all.

Millen appointed early doors as a replacement- a stability factor.

Covid and financial pondering sees Holden appointed early doors, or in this case eventually- the continuity candidate.

We are significantly better placed off the pitch and I believe our squad has a reasonable to decent age profile- certainly better in a number of respects- and this if anything would make the appointment of Holden even more disheartening!

With the greatest of respect to Holden, this just has echoes of the past I fear.

6 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I actually fear we might slide into a relegation battle if we appoint Holden- I'm quite cautious often but not usually negative but I just have a bad feeling.

I hope this isn't history repeating, or at least replicating in some respects- 10 years on.

GJ leaves, us in and around midtable but on the slide- suddenly after a relative local derby, late goal loss 3-2- Plymouth.

LJ leaves us, in and around midtable but on the slide- sudenly after a relative local derby, late goal loss 1-0- Cardiff.

The big name is chased- and appointed- Coppell...but something not quite right, didn't he begin the summer late?

Covid and financial pondering sees Holden appointed early doors, or in this case eventually- the continuity candidate.

We are significantly better placed off the pitch and I believe our squad has a good age profile- certainly better in a number of respects- and this if anything would make the appointment of Holden even more disheartening!

With the greatest of respect to Holden, this just has echoes of the past I fear.

Yeah I agree. I have a worrying feeling a tough miserable season lies ahead.

I just feel deflated. Unenthusiastic as of right now. 

One thing I will say. None of those idiots had better not go banging on about promotion these coming weeks, treating us as gullable morons.

15 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I actually fear we might sleepwalk into a relegation battle if we appoint Holden- I'm quite cautious often but not usually negative but I just have a bad feeling.

We are significantly better placed off the pitch and I believe our squad has a reasonable to decent age profile- certainly better in a number of respects- and this if anything would make the appointment of Holden even more disheartening!

It does feel a well worn path. 
For me the question is, if you had to predict the direction of City’s next departure from this division..... and had to stake everything on it.... would we say up or down? I know what history suggests and what my suspicion is. 

6 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I think the squad is much better since those days. GJ in particular left us with a horrible patchwork squad of players made up of past-it league one quality and overpaid journeymen. The performances under Holden were much improved and I don’t think we would be relegated, but equally I doubt we would take a step forward.

7 hours ago, Mendip City said:

It does feel a well worn path. 
For me the question is, if you had to predict the direction of City’s next departure from this division..... and had to stake everything on it.... would we say up or down? I know what history suggests and what my suspicion is. 

history without context is meaningless

Whilst I agree with the lack of an update is annoying. The other points can be attributed to other factors. 

Hummel and umbro have a bigger reach then Bristol sports in terms of worldwide appeal thus we reach further afield meaning potentially more money. 

Griffin Park Stadium has a capacity of 1,500 whereas Twerton Park has a capacity of 8,840 with the women's game growing we could be looking to make a step forward by moving the team to a bigger stadium more fans = more money. 

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

I think the squad is much better since those days. GJ in particular left us with a horrible patchwork squad of players made up of past-it league one quality and overpaid journeymen. The performances under Holden were much improved and I don’t think we would be relegated, but equally I doubt we would take a step forward.

Were the performances much improved aside a good win at boro which seems to be a lucky ground a poor scrappy win over Hull draws with Stoke and Preston and a defeat at Swansea could of got a draw 

1 hour ago, WarksRobin said:

Not really.

We have 40 players of mediocre quality, far too many of whom have absolutely no prospect of forcing their way into the first team.

Players go out on loan to L1 & L2 clubs & I’d genuinely forgot that we still employed them.

Look at Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, he is 24 this year, yet has never made a single appearance at FL level, under contract for another year, said to be joining Torquay so we must be paying him off.

Ashton’s accumulation of mediocrity is staggering.

You think something's awry now, wait until Deano is setting us up for the first round of the Carabou cup, a tricky away tie at the Memorial Ground against plucky, up for it L1 table-toppers Bristol Rovers. Out of nowhere, PM Johnson announces crowds can return but no away supporters, and Deano takes his brave boys into a packed, 4000 strong howling, baying Mem. 

During the warm up, "Bakes" feels (another) twinge/migraine/something, and asks Deano if he can sit this one out, throwing an 18 year old no-one has heard of from the academy - on to the pathway - and into the first team, and the helter-skelter of a Dave/Goliath Bristol derby. CO'D takes the armband, and leads from the fringes. 

We concede early doors from a corner, another before half time, and a third late on. Jack Hunt is sent off for two bookable assaults on some one or other playing for them. 

With scant regard for social distancing, Wael is carried shoulder high along Kingswood high street. On police intervention, an open top bus is hired instead, to mark the occasion / rub it in.

Three days later, it's Wycombe away, Wells is sent off in the third minute, we concede two goals in a minute, both from corners. After the game, Deano says: it's all my fault. 

We awake the following morning to social media pictures of bedsheets swaying in the south Bristol breeze, as the autumn fruit drops to the earth, leaves wither and dreams burn down .......

28 minutes ago, Robin Wood said:

Were the performances much improved aside a good win at boro which seems to be a lucky ground a poor scrappy win over Hull draws with Stoke and Preston and a defeat at Swansea could of got a draw 

I think they were. I seem to be in the minority.

We were on a 9 game winless run, even Hull were in better form than us over those 9 games.

And a draw v PNE, even coming from a goal down is not something to play down. ???

30 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

Not really.

We have 40 players of mediocre quality, far too many of whom have absolutely no prospect of forcing their way into the first team.

Players go out on loan to L1 & L2 clubs & I’d genuinely forgot that we still employed them.

Look at Connor Lemonheigh-Evans, he is 24 this year, yet has never made a single appearance at FL level, under contract for another year, said to be joining Torquay so we must be paying him off.

I agree that some of the recruitment, particularly in midfield,  has been unbalanced. 

I am not sure a player originally coming though the academy is the best example though. Compared with some of the loans and other external recruits then Lemmonheigh-Evans will not have cost much at all.   

You only need one or two Lloyd Kelly's to justify taking on a  fair number of young development players.  Sadly,  the vast majority won't make it but that doesn't mean the academy isn't a success - far from it.   Also, if the likes of Lemmonheigh-Evans (whose name at least will be missed) aren't successful at this level it's good to see they get another opportunity in the lower leagues.

Most of the conspiracy theorists on here seem to see the board secretly ganging up to land the fans with an unpopular cheap appointment.

Personally - and its only a guess - I would tend to see the delay as a sign of something different. That is, the possibility of a badly split board with no consensus on what to do at all.

1 minute ago, Leveller said:

Most of the conspiracy theorists on here seem to see the board secretly ganging up to land the fans with an unpopular cheap appointment.

Personally - and its only a guess - I would tend to see the delay as a sign of something different. That is, the possibility of a badly split board with no consensus on what to do at all.

I'd like to think that's a reasonable assumption - surely the decision makers wouldn't be unanimous on appointing Holden. The odds of that option being the unanimously favoured by the board are very slim based on the reception the rumours have received online.

I'd like to think there are people making decisions who are pushing hard for a Hughton type appointment.. even Cook.

Away from OTIB's partisanship seen this comment from a Brighton fan ;-

"As regards Bristol City - they leaked that he was to get the job before negotiations were complete and, apparently, negotiations hit a snag a week ago. To suggest that the owners are Bristol City are favouring Dean Holden over Hughton is daft - Holden is their back-up plan if they can't persuade Hughton to take the job (and there clearly is some reason why he hasn't accepted the job so far - whatever movement is needed has to come from the club). Indeed - to me, the talk of Holden suggests a lack of ambition on Bristol city's part."

Fingers crossed that the board see sense and an agreement can be reached .

1 hour ago, GrahamC said:

Not really.

Connor joined us at 16 in 2012 - Ashton didn’t arrive until 2016, although granted he was here when contracts were signed and extended. We have Joe Morrell a contemporary of Connor from youth teams as a full Welsh international coming back to us this summer - they were similarly rated at youth level & signed extensions together. We also have Liam Walsh returning - the best player in league one last season - not all mediocre! It takes time to develop into a first team player & not all make it. The number of people on here insisting we should sack off Bobby Reid for years was ridiculous. I’m no massive Ashton fan but I do support the policy of signing promising youth players - Taylor Moore will be phenomenal next year! Not all will come good but we have shown over the past few years that many will and some will make us a tidy profit if and when they move on. 

9 minutes ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Away from OTIB's partisanship seen this comment from a Brighton fan ;-

"As regards Bristol City - they leaked that he was to get the job before negotiations were complete and, apparently, negotiations hit a snag a week ago. To suggest that the owners are Bristol City are favouring Dean Holden over Hughton is daft - Holden is their back-up plan if they can't persuade Hughton to take the job (and there clearly is some reason why he hasn't accepted the job so far - whatever movement is needed has to come from the club). Indeed - to me, the talk of Holden suggests a lack of ambition on Bristol city's part."

Fingers crossed that the board see sense and an agreement can be reached .

Gregor stated on Twitter yesterday that the delay is on City's part, not Hughton's, implying that Hughton is waiting.

That could still tie in with the Brighton intel (if indeed it is more than speculation), because Hughton may have had his final say on the matter and the board have to decide if they will play ball.

29 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I'd like to think that's a reasonable assumption - surely the decision makers wouldn't be unanimous on appointing Holden. The odds of that option being the unanimously favoured by the board are very slim based on the reception the rumours have received online.

I'd like to think there are people making decisions who are pushing hard for a Hughton type appointment.. even Cook.

I'd love to think that was true - but the 'Board' is 4 people. Where could the spilt lie? We have SL and his mate Doug. I can't see Doug disagreeing with SL. We have SL and his son...likewise. Which leaves Mark Ashton. Do we believe that there is a split between Ashton and the others? If he knows which side his bread is buttered he'd surely fall in with whatever SL wants?

12 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

The "Board" comprises only four people.

Steve will vote for Holden.

Jon will agree with Daddy. "I shouldn't really be here, let alone as Chairman" he says, fiddling with his City shirt and glancing down at his trainers.

Mark Ashton knows exactly which side his bread is buttered, will enthusiastically agree with the Lansdowns,

Doug Harmon "who he?" Possibly owns the shares that Lansdown doesn't. That is at best 2% and if he doesn't ,what the hell is he doing there? In the event that he voices disagreement with the other three, they will simply tell him to shut up and make himself useful by putting the kettle on, He jumps up and makes the tea.

Just now, jayjay said:

The "Board" comprises only four people.

Steve will vote for Holden.

Jon will agree with Daddy. "I shouldn't really be here, let alone as Chairman" he says, fiddling with his City shirt and glancing down at his trainers.

Mark Ashton knows exactly which side his bread is buttered, will enthusiastically agree with the Lansdowns,

Doug Harmon "who he?" Possibly owns the shares that Lansdown doesn't. That is at best 2% and if he doesn't ,what the hell is he doing there? In the event that he voices disagreement with the other three, they will simply tell him to shut up and make himself useful by putting the kettle on, He jumps up and makes the tea.

We think alike! Even down to bread being buttered!

Archived