IGNORED

Harry Dolman

NickJ

1 hour ago, harvey54 said:

Just turned in his grave 

What a shockingly disrespectful thing to say.

I was around in those days. Those days when "Dicks out" thundered down from all four sides of the ground. 

But Harry stood his ground.

Year after year just managing to stave off relegation.

Crowd unrest, banners, booing, demonstrations behind the grand stand.

He could see progress, not on the field at first but slow but sure progress.

The rest is history. 

Harry put up with terrible abuse, kept AD and got us to the first division.

He was a good man, who deserves tremendous credit.

Then, many years later, you have to come out with this.....you should be ashamed!

MODS - HAPPY FOR YOU TO REMOVE MY POST AS LONG AS YOU ALSO REMOVE THE ONE ABOVE.

1 minute ago, Galley is our king said:

What a shockingly disrespectful thing to say.

I was around in those days. Those days when "Dicks out" thundered down from all four sides of the ground. 

Year after year just managing to stave off relegation.

Crowd unrest, banners, booing, demonstrations behind the grand stand.

He could see progress, not on the field at first but slow but sure progress.

The rest is history. 

Harry put up with terrible abuse, kept AD and got us to the first division.

He was a good man, who deserves tremendous credit.

Then, many years later, you have to come out with this.....you should be ashamed!

MODS - HAPPY FOR YOU TO REMOVE MY POST AS LONG AS YOU ALSO REMOVE THE ONE ABOVE.

I was considering the what he would think about what's going on at our club at the moment and the bile and vitriol that's being written on here about our current owner. 

I have the utmost respect for what Mr D did for this club. I grew up watching the Dolman Stand being built and watched them in the highest league in the 70's thanks to Harry Dolman. 

It's a figure of speech to say someone is 'turning in their grave' when something unpleasant is going on. 

I meant no disrespect 

3 minutes ago, harvey54 said:

I was considering the what he would think about what's going on at our club at the moment and the bile and vitriol that's being written on here about our current owner. 

I have the utmost respect for what Mr D did for this club. I grew up watching the Dolman Stand being built and watched them in the highest league in the 70's thanks to Harry Dolman. 

It's a figure of speech to say someone is 'turning in their grave' when something unpleasant is going on. 

I meant no disrespect 

Ok, perhaps some clarification of the comment would have been helpful.

I read the comment was made because Holden was the chosen candidate.

Good now to get your actual reason for the comment.

21 hours ago, stawey said:

had a chat with him a few times at the old shareholders agms. he was a very honest clever man didnt have time for bullshit. 

he realy was mr bristol city

Not sure about honest.  He wasn’t exactly whiter than white, and there was talk of a few dodgy dealings during his time I understand...

I have not read about Harry's football philosophy and I definitely should. The insight I seek is how he would have gone about selling this, imminent, management change to the fanbase in the modern age. Would he have kept so silent? Would he have fed us titbits. And would he go Chris Hughton or Dean Holden?

7 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

I have not read about Harry's football philosophy and I definitely should. The insight I seek is how he would have gone about selling this, imminent, management change to the fanbase in the modern age. Would he have kept so silent? Would he have fed us titbits. And would he go Chris Hughton or Dean Holden?

Harry Dolman was running a football club in an age when, with few exceptions, owners and chairman were seen but not heard. Although forward thinking in many ways I doubt that he would have harnessed social media and any managerial appointment would have been based on what he thought was right for the club and not based on any popularity poll. For certain he would not risk the financial future of the club he loved. Whether we like it or not, much the same as SL now. 

4 minutes ago, RoystonFoote'snephew said:

Harry Dolman was running a football club in an age when, with few exceptions, owners and chairman were seen but not heard. Although forward thinking in many ways I doubt that he would have harnessed social media and any managerial appointment would have been based on what he thought was right for the club and not based on any popularity poll. For certain he would not risk the financial future of the club he loved. Whether we like it or not, much the same as SL now. 

Interesting thoughts. Of course, the other side of that argument is what I always preach at a time like this - 3 million or 120 million... i am not saying abandon prudence at will but I am for sure saying you have to gamble a little more when you compare the prize money of the Championship and the Premier League. Time will tell. Clocks ticking.

2 minutes ago, havanatopia said:

Interesting thoughts. Of course, the other side of that argument is what I always preach at a time like this - 3 million or 120 million... i am not saying abandon prudence at will but I am for sure saying you have to gamble a little more when you compare the prize money of the Championship and the Premier League. Time will tell. Clocks ticking.

It's a valid argument but it depends on what you call a gamble. HD's decision to appoint Alan Dicks, a man with no managerial experience on the recommendation of Coventry chairman Jimmy Hill, could be regarded as more left field than letting DH have the reigns today.  Not influenced by either the supporters, media or the bookies his appointment was so far out of this world the Hubble telescope wouldn't have been able to locate him on a list of likely candidates to replace Fred Ford. 

Archived