Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

55 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

That's an intended automatic penalty, plus the Independent Disciplinary Commission- unsure which scenario would see that aspect kick in. Perhaps a referral for anyone over limits is in addition to the fine?

Further talk though seems to have been little in this thusfar, of automatic points penalties for misleading/incorrect/downright false disclosure. This was in addition to the fine and Independent Disciplinary Commission.

Ah yeah, the fines- my post below links the article ⬇️ but the planned sanctions/fines/punishments albeit at League One.

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that you could pay one player £18m and the rest of your squad play for free.  But if you then decide to pay that player £25m, you’re gonna get a fine.

19 minutes ago, bcfc01 said:

Really ?

I find it hard to believe they would do anything rigorously tbh.

I’ve read some stuff that says it will all be reportable via company HR data, so I fully expect P11D / Benefits stuff to come into it.

Id rather the Champ wait a year, find all the loopholes and then implement it.  All owners buy into that process, and if they think they’ve found a novel way of paying an employee that didn’t come up in the year of consultation, then they must seek agreement before they start using that method.

to use an example.

Club start paying the players Agent instead of the player paying it, reducing player salary as a result.  Nobody had thought of that idea during the consultation period.  Club should’ve sought approval before using that method.  When the EFL find out, they punish them for not following the process and if the committee agree it’s invalid they punish them again.

59 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Sorry, what I was trying to say was that you could pay one player £18m and the rest of your squad play for free.  But if you then decide to pay that player £25m, you’re gonna get a fine.

I’ve read some stuff that says it will all be reportable via company HR data, so I fully expect P11D / Benefits stuff to come into it.

Id rather the Champ wait a year, find all the loopholes and then implement it.  All owners buy into that process, and if they think they’ve found a novel way of paying an employee that didn’t come up in the year of consultation, then they must seek agreement before they start using that method.

to use an example.

Club start paying the players Agent instead of the player paying it, reducing player salary as a result.  Nobody had thought of that idea during the consultation period.  Club should’ve sought approval before using that method.  When the EFL find out, they punish them for not following the process and if the committee agree it’s invalid they punish them again.

Yeah, with you now. Makes sense, no individual cap but more to one player, the less to the rest.

Agreed. A year will be sensible, use that to iron out any flaws. It's a bit more pressing at the lower levels IMO. 

Seems a sensible policy. It covers a lot that one for bottom two divisions...I assume wheezes like paying the WAG of the player an inordinately high amount as a Secretary or admin/waitress staff would all be picked up on.

Thinking notably in the bottom 2 divisions where salary caps are £2.5m and £1.5m respectively (I believe). This level, the idea of having to seek approval- I'd say at EFL meetings so that the idea is either open to everyone or closed off and clear.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yeah, with you now. Makes sense, no individual cap but more to one player, the less to the rest.

Agreed. A year will be sensible, use that to iron out any flaws. It's a bit more pressing at the lower levels IMO. 

Seems a sensible policy. It covers a lot that one for bottom two divisions...I assume wheezes like paying the WAG of the player an inordinately high amount as a Secretary or admin/waitress staff would all be picked up on.

Thinking notably in the bottom 2 divisions where salary caps are £2.5m and £1.5m respectively (I believe). This level, the idea of having to seek approval- I'd say at EFL meetings so that the idea is either open to everyone or closed off and clear.

I think they will have to disclose HR Payroll records.

• Thanks 1

100% certain to be a completely ineffective system.

If Premiership rugby can't get it right with only 12 clubs and British ownership then the EFL has sod all hope given the kind of ownership in football. Accountants field day

1 hour ago, The Bard said:

100% certain to be a completely ineffective system.

If Premiership rugby can't get it right with only 12 clubs and British ownership then the EFL has sod all hope given the kind of ownership in football. Accountants field day

How did Premiership Rugby not get it right out of interest?

Rick Parry as a vastly experienced football administrator, with roles at the PL, UEFA, Liverpool and maybe more and from an accounting background, he should head it up himself personally.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

That moron Gordon Taylor needs to get back in his box.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8609679/PFA-threatened-injunction-prevent-salary-cap-voted-League-One-Two-clubs.html

I suppose he is doing what unions need to do but does he not get it- there might not be a League One and League Two or a severely decimated one in a few years without drastic action- are the players at this level not aware of the dire straits caused by Covid at many of the clubs??

Strange how many of the Leaders of football are or have been basically inadequate.

I'm fairly convinced though, that under relatively pragmatic and fresh blood this stupid posturing by PFA leadership wouldn't be happening.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous
  • Like 1
On 10/08/2020 at 15:49, Mr Popodopolous said:

That moron Gordon Taylor needs to get back in his box.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8609679/PFA-threatened-injunction-prevent-salary-cap-voted-League-One-Two-clubs.html

I suppose he is doing what unions need to do but does he not get it- there might not be a League One and League Two or a severely decimated one in a few years without drastic action- are the players at this level not aware of the dire straits caused by Covid at many of the clubs??

Strange how many of the Leaders of football are or have been basically inadequate.

I'm fairly convinced though, that under relatively pragmatic and fresh blood this stupid posturing by PFA leadership wouldn't be happening.

Yep, imho he’s outstayed his time at the PFA.  Did a lot of good back in the 80s and 90s but commands a colossal wage (certainly £2m at one point, think it’s lower now).

On 11/08/2020 at 02:01, Mr Popodopolous said:

Well said Simon Jordan- well said!

I think the PFA certainly have a role to play, but not that idiot who heads them up.

I’m more aligned with Simon Jordan, he is a business who’s made mistakes in football, but I think he sees the future....and it’s clubs going down the pan.

The salary cap in Lg1/2, only impacts new contracts, so a team keeping the vast majority of its squad aren’t gonna be impacted til 21/22....so have time to prepare.

The EFL need to come up with some form of bond that owners put into to cover debt.  EFL invest it and give a return.  When a club gets sold, new owner buys the bond off of the old owner.  No Wigan in this scenario.

• Like 1

This isn't yet applicable to the Championship[ but an interesting spot by Kieran Maguire.

EFL have beefed up or been granted beefed up powers for the salary cap!

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1305078295134982145/

EhyRn42WoAEBBVF?format=png&name=large

You mentioned payroll records a few weeks back @Davefevs I think it was you anyway.

Seems it's that and then some!

32 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

This isn't yet applicable to the Championship[ but an interesting spot by Kieran Maguire.

You mentioned payroll records a few weeks back @Davefevs I think it was you anyway.

There's a typo in rule 5.20.2.

Edited by ExiledAjax
2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Yes, it was.

If a club wants to falsify submissions, then they are gonna bit in big trouble.

• Like 1

Soooo just to get this right, people that are crazy rich won't be able to pay people that are extremely well off more more money in pursuit of sporting success?

Is any of these savings guaranteed to find there way back to lower costs for supporters or is this just people that are crazy rich not wanting to pay as much for there toys. 

Is there any consideration for the tax implications over time? Concerned that the average tax from a 10% wage cut is basically the cost of a nurse (I find it interesting that the average championship footballer pays about 9 nurses through the tax they pay).

IMO we don't need people earning less and a wage cap we need a cap on ticket prices to stop fans being fleeced, we need FFP as a percentage of income (like it is now), maximum debt of 100% of income and unlimited gifts (if people that are rich enough want to give money away they should be able to) - we need more people earning more not less people earning more. 

• Hmmm 1
9 minutes ago, Pezo said:

Soooo just to get this right, people that are crazy rich won't be able to pay people that are extremely well off more more money in pursuit of sporting success?

Is any of these savings guaranteed to find there way back to lower costs for supporters or is this just people that are crazy rich not wanting to pay as much for there toys. 

Is there any consideration for the tax implications over time? Concerned that the average tax from a 10% wage cut is basically the cost of a nurse (I find it interesting that the average championship footballer pays about 9 nurses through the tax they pay).

IMO we don't need people earning less and a wage cap we need a cap on ticket prices to stop fans being fleeced, we need FFP as a percentage of income (like it is now), maximum debt of 100% of income and unlimited gifts (if people that are rich enough want to give money away they should be able to) - we need more people earning more not less people earning more. 

I think you need to divorce the wages of Prem (and a lot of Champ) players from Lg1 and Lg2 players.

We don’t need clubs going bust and have creditors being owed money.

(sorry sounds condescending, not meant to be....just Prem is worlds apart).

Edited by Davefevs
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

I think you need to divorce the wages of Prem (and a lot of Champ) players from Lg1 and Lg2 players.

We don’t need clubs going bust and have creditors being owed money.

(sorry sounds condescending, not meant to be....just Prem is worlds apart).

Tbh, PL with their revenue streams- Covid notwithstanding of course but in nortmal times I mean- all clubs and I mean all, should be making a profit. I know cash flow is more important for solvency but all clubs should be quite capable of turning a profit in normal times in the PL, year in and year out.

The fact a number don't is actually quite amazing- it's not even just the smaller clubs either!