IGNORED

How the hell does Ashton spin this?

ChippenhamRed

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I genuinely think Deano will do ok though.

Maybe the players are good enough regardless. Without LJ's over-coaching, bingo selections and lack of identity perhaps the real Bristol City will shine through. Maybe Holden can allow the players the freedom to actually play to their strengths.

We want a manager with a proven track record but at this unique moment in time (and with a rapidly declining income) perhaps the cheap option is the right option. Let's not hide from the fact that the whole world faces an economic shock that could take decades to recover from. The plan and ambition should change. Maybe we have to ride out the storm until it is the right time to push on again. Not sure this view is going to be shared widely!

There is obviously a big problem down there if all other external candidates have preferred to walk away rather than take on the City job.

That said I still can't see a guy like Mark Robins walking away from this kind of opportunity, whatever the control issues going on at the Gate,  I'd personally much rather take a risk on him than Holden, as somebody else on the forum noted 'We have sacked the organ grinder and given the job to the monkey'

This will really be a massive disappointment to the fans, not to mention, if reports are true, how bad is it that Holden has to go away and think about if he even wants the bloody job. More to the point if he does say no to it where does that leave us then. Worrying times I think.

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not sure how he can announce Holden with being honest about failing to get other managers across the line.  He can say they didn’t impress, but I can’t believe it budget....or why would you bother chasing them.  So it can only be structure and control....and that’s either wanting to bring in their own people or not getting a big enough say.

Ashton might end up being the fall guy here from a board perspective.

Deano will be too, but in some respects he was just an internal applicant who they had to go with.  Who knows they may have asked him to carry on as a longer term caretaker?  He is putting some of his career on the line as a manager perhaps, but not as a coach.

I’m not sure how he can announce Holden with being honest about failing to get other managers across the line.  He can say they didn’t impress, but I can’t believe it budget....or why would you bother chasing them.  So it can only be structure and control....and that’s either wanting to bring in their own people or not getting a big enough say.

This is summed up on how I feel this fiasco has been handled. Each applicant were informed this how we operate, like it or lump it and it appears all have lumped it.

Ashton might end up being the fall guy here from a board perspective.

I do hope so, as many on here have stated you only see the guy when things are going right and personally I'm not a fan of his.

Deano will be too, but in some respects he was just an internal applicant who they had to go with.  Who knows they may have asked him to carry on as a longer term caretaker?  He is putting some of his career on the line as a manager perhaps, but not as a coach.

100% agree Dave. he really has the hit the ground running, and it's fortunate that there are no fans allowed in the ground if it starts to go wrong. My major concern, who is he going to attract to play for our club? With the like of Hughton, you would feel confident that we would get quality signings, but under Holden I'm not so sure. I'm also concerned if we sale the likes of Fammy and Eliason, how will they be replaced?

We'll see after 10 to 15 games. I hope he does do ok, at the end of the day we all support the Football team and we all want the club to de well who is ever in charge.

4 hours ago, Xiled said:

Maybe the players are good enough regardless. Without LJ's over-coaching, bingo selections and lack of identity perhaps the real Bristol City will shine through. Maybe Holden can allow the players the freedom to actually play to their strengths.

We want a manager with a proven track record but at this unique moment in time (and with a rapidly declining income) perhaps the cheap option is the right option. Let's not hide from the fact that the whole world faces an economic shock that could take decades to recover from. The plan and ambition should change. Maybe we have to ride out the storm until it is the right time to push on again. Not sure this view is going to be shared widely!

I do get the argument for the cheap option BUT I see Prem teams still spending millions on average players so they don’t seem to be finding times that tough.

Maybe the team that goes for it in the hard climate reaps the reward come May 2021 time when like Fulham , Leeds and West Brom they earn the riches that have made their risky investments worthwhile.

We could have got CH for a lot less than we seemed to have been prepared to pay for Gerrard (when you consider rumoured salary and compensation), let him trade a bit and spend a bit which is a risk granted and see where that took us in 9 months time.

Nobody can be sure it would actually be a better position than we will be now, but, hard to believe it would not have been.

5 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I just cant see it Dave, Holden will have the fans against him from day one his only saving grace is that only a limited amount of fans will be allowed in the ground to show their anger (Unless of course the club find a way of only letting the happy clappers in) Although its nothing personal supporting Holden is supporting Ashtons decision so lots will not back him

The squad needs a total overhaul and will Holden name attract the quality players needed like a Houghton would ?  I know Smarmy Mark deals with the transfers but can he get players in to talk to them in the first place if they know Holden is our manager that was a problem with LJ to a certain extent

Don't forget Holden has been part of the problem in recent years so why should it suddenly change now he's head man ?

Unless we bring in 2 championship/premiership quality coaches to work alongside him I genuinely cannot see Deano working

I also think it is a bad move for Holden at this present time we are a big (ish) club for a rookie his record at Oldham and 5 games for us is poor he needs to cut his teeth at a lower league club first where the expectations arn't so great.  Putting together a championship promotion winning team where the fans expect so much maybe too much too soon and i still think he may turn us down

18 minutes ago, westonred said:

I just cant see it Dave, Holden will have the fans against him from day one his only saving grace is that only a limited amount of fans will be allowed in the ground to show their anger (Unless of course the club find a way of only letting the happy clappers in) Although its nothing personal supporting Holden is supporting Ashtons decision so lots will not back him

The squad needs a total overhaul and will Holden name attract the quality players needed like a Houghton would ?  I know Smarmy Mark deals with the transfers but can he get players in to talk to them in the first place if they know Holden is our manager that was a problem with LJ to a certain extent

Don't forget Holden has been part of the problem in recent years so why should it suddenly change now he's head man ?

Unless we bring in 2 championship/premiership quality coaches to work alongside him I genuinely cannot see Deano working

I also think it is a bad move for Holden at this present time we are a big (ish) club for a rookie his record at Oldham and 5 games for us is poor he needs to cut his teeth at a lower league club first where the expectations arn't so great.  Putting together a championship promotion winning team where the fans expect so much maybe too much too soon and i still think he may turn us down

He won’t turn us down though will he? That would be utter madness surely? Unless smarmy Mark has offered him the job, then changed the goal posts, I can’t see why he would turn it down? The bloke couldn’t get the Oldham job and unless he takes a chance like this he won’t get as good an opportunity elsewhere again.

Yes he will have the majority of our fan base against him from day one, but football is about opinions. Surely he should be relishing the challenge of sticking it to us doubters and proving us and the footballing world wrong!?

1 minute ago, Taylor10 said:

He won’t turn us down though will he? That would be utter madness surely? Unless smarmy Mark has offered him the job, then changed the goal posts, I can’t see why he would turn it down? The bloke couldn’t get the Oldham job and unless he takes a chance like this he won’t get as good an opportunity elsewhere again.

Yes he will have the majority of our fan base against him from day one, but football is about opinions. Surely he should be relishing the challenge of sticking it to us doubters and proving us and the footballing world wrong!?

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Yes he will have the majority of our fan base against him from day one, but football is about opinions. Surely he should be relishing the challenge of sticking it to us doubters?

I know its a great opportunity for the guy and he would be mad turning it down. However listening to his interviews a few weeks back when asked about applying for the job he didn't seem that keen, i feel he has been pushed into this appointment rather than something he was excited about.

If it’s DH, I have already gone from furious to just deflated. SL mentioned a breath of fresh air? How is a coach from a failed regime a breath of fresh air? I worry I’m falling out of love with the modern game now, I just don’t get the buzz anymore. Next season il be cycling to Manor Farm and watching standing up. Il always have my eye open for City but just don’t feel il care as much.

3 minutes ago, westonred said:

I know its a great opportunity for the guy and he would be mad turning it down. However listening to his interviews a few weeks back when asked about applying for the job he didn't seem that keen, i feel he has been pushed into this appointment rather than something he was excited about.

Possibly yes.

I do feel so sorry for him because the way in which this has been handled by the club is nothing short of amateur.

I really don’t want DH but he would of had half a chance if this was dealt with better. 

Was it Mr Ashton that was saying not long ago that people/clubs like dealing with us because we do things ‘right’!? Do me a ******* favour.

I'm beginning to think this is a deliberate leak by the board.

They know the decision will be unpopular so got it out on a Friday evening so the fans can vent their anger / disappointment over the weekend and be a bit more used to the idea by Monday Morning.

Like many others I have already gone from anger to frustration and by Monday I'll just be deflated.

At least I won't be starting the new season full of optimism.

5 hours ago, Xiled said:

The view in your second paragraph is all well and good, and would have made sense if that’s what they’d said from the start. But they didn’t and in fact they implied the complete opposite.

Additionally, how can they justify taking 5 weeks to make the decision if this is the way they wanted to go? The answer, for me at least is that they can’t.

Covid and it’s financial implications were well and truly on the agenda when LJ was sacked and both Ashton and Steve Lansdown came out with big talk about top quality applicants from around the world and pushing on to the next level as quickly as possible. The implication was that we were going for it and we simply have not done so. The Covid situation has been clear throughout this whole wretched process. 

As others have said, this all points to other managers on our list running a mile when they realised that MA and SL are involved at every level of decision making on the football side of the business. No quality, high profile applicant would put up with it and that’s why we are where we are again.

@Olé said on Twitter last night something along the lines that the mask is off with all this stuff now and sadly I think he’s right. We have an owner who just loves meddling and won’t stop himself playing real life fantasy football with our club. It’s the only explanation I can see for what’s happened. Sadly this whole episode has demonstrated to me that, unless the stars align and we get lucky with this ‘strategy’ one season, we’ll never make it to the Premier League while Ashton and the Lansdowns are at the club. 

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I really hope so, but until I hear we’ve lowered our expectations out of the blue - I’ll be judging him by the same parameters i’d have judged LJ/Hughton/Cook/Gerrard etc - top 6. 

That’s a huge ask for him in his first season and under the current circumstances.

6 hours ago, numbeast said:

I'm afraid I can. 1999 when we interviewed David Moyes and appointed Pulis. Is this another missed opportunity?

Exactly what I have said elsewhere. Ok Moyes might not have been a success, and if he was we would only have been a stepping stone but look what he went onto compared to Pulis. You should be able to look into the eyes of a candidate and see the potential of the man, and no one recognised it!

For the last appointment I remember being told that we would be ‘surprised about the names who had applied’ and we all assumed we had some quality candidates. No disrespect to Lee, but he ended up being the one appointed. Was there another Moyes amongst that bunch, and more importantly is there one being overlooked now?

14 minutes ago, westonred said:

I think he probably thought that it was an irrelevant question. With all the big talk of pushing on etc. at that time he would have thought he’d have no chance of getting the job so it was a moot point. When everyone else dropped out he suddenly became a contender and I’m sure he’d sound more enthusiastic now. 

11 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Possibly yes.

I do feel so sorry for him because the way in which this has been handled by the club is nothing short of amateur.

I really don’t want DH but he would of had half a chance if this was dealt with better. 

Was it Mr Ashton that was saying not long ago that people/clubs like dealing with us because we do things ‘right’!? Do me a ******* favour.

It will not be DH. He was informed that he has not got the job when he returned from holiday. If he was going to get the job it would of been announced three weeks ago. Has any one actually seen a respected bit of news that he has been offered the job ??

i wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Ashton is laughing his c*&k off reading these debates.

he has to announce one of these 4 on Monday.

Hughton, Cowley, Terry, or Steve Robinson from Motherwell. 

We will be surprised late Monday and all will be revealed.

27 minutes ago, westonred said:

Dean is between a rock and a hard place ; 

He accepts - Very tough to get the supporters on board , uncertain times, squad needing overhaul with less money available, expectations high and most gamblers wouldn’t put money on this appointment being a success. 

His big ‘opportunity ‘ is a poison chalice.

He refuses - big chance that he’ll lose his coach’s job .

I feel sorry for the bloke who comes across as a decent man.

4 minutes ago, City oz said:

It will not be DH. He was informed that he has not got the job when he returned from holiday. If he was going to get the job it would of been announced three weeks ago. Has any one actually seen a respected bit of news that he has been offered the job ??

i wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Ashton is laughing his c*&k off reading these debates.

Have you got any evidence to back this up? 

18 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

I'm beginning to think this is a deliberate leak by the board.

They know the decision will be unpopular so got it out on a Friday evening so the fans can vent their anger / disappointment over the weekend and be a bit more used to the idea by Monday Morning.

Like many others I have already gone from anger to frustration and by Monday I'll just be deflated.

At least I won't be starting the new season full of optimism.

Absolutely this.

1 hour ago, Meh said:

I do get the argument for the cheap option BUT I see Prem teams still spending millions on average players so they don’t seem to be finding times that tough.

I thought the same as you re. Prem Club spending but then their TV money is the main source of income so less impacted by empty grounds.

Didn't appear to be much movement when I checked Championship Club's spending so far in this close season

8 minutes ago, City oz said:

I wish i could share your optimism but i just can’t see it. To be honest i would still be angry at either Cowley, Terry or the guy from Motherwell.

1 minute ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

He can't spin it and should this fail he should walk as well as there is no recovery if this all goes wrong.

The fans are already against it and if Holden has us languishing near the bottom of the table (as his record suggests he would) then Ashton will face absolute intense and justifiable criticism from the fans. 

That’s why it ain’t going to happen in the first place.

I’m still in the camp that this is all a ‘smokescreen’. 

It’s such a crass decision it just can’t be true. The decision-making process and decision is just so off-the-scale bizarre it wouldn’t be fitting in a primary school playground, let alone a professional football club with ambitions for the Premiership.

The Owner’s statements, the supposed interest of Stevie G (denied), the number of quality candidates from home and abroad, the media silence, the time taken, the interviews saga, the media reporting Hughton’s appointment, the open/shut betting, the players posting support for Holden, then removed, the shutting down of Scott’s and Tins Twitter, the ‘sacking’ of Jamie....... the Post being fed news, and now, an Assistant, taking the weekend to think about a top job offer. 

We are still very amateurish in many areas of the Club’s activities but I refuse to believe that we’re quite this bad at making the most important decision a football club has to make. 

Personally, I still am optimistic it’ll be either a Hughton or Cook, as part of a new managerial structure, will be announced next week. 

Just now, City oz said:

The club didn’t get any thing out on Friday night DH had the job. Have I missed something ?

You haven’t missed anything official but all the signs, from some usually well sourced people, are that it’s DH.

I hope you’re right but everything points to the fact that it will be him. 

2 minutes ago, bris red said:

I wish i could share your optimism but i just can’t see it. To be honest i would still be angry at either Cowley, Terry or the guy from Motherwell.

What are your thoughts on who it will be then ?

7 hours ago, Atticus said:

I completely agree.

People may not like what im about to say, but im going to say it.

Although Ashton to me feels like a slimy snake, its Lansdown that bears the brunt. Im at the point that im starting to believe he is Egotistical to the extreme. There are just to many shoddy yes men appointments now at this point. And when you also look at how Cotterill was treated, and how he was basically cut out of all the celebratory pics in tweets by the club recently (******* embarrassing that, shambolic), and the fact he named a goddamn stand after himself. I mean.......Who isnt grateful for the funding? But I would be EXTREMELY uncomfortable myself with naming a stand after myself personally. 

I see he has also just had one of the training pitches at the new rugby training ground named after him as well! The other named after the chairman Chris Booy, so does that mean we will be looking at the Lansdown and Lansdown pitch when we get out new training ground?

Archived