IGNORED

How the hell does Ashton spin this?

ChippenhamRed

12 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I genuinely don’t know how Ashton can spin this appointment to be anything other than the pathetic shambles that it is. What on earth can he say?

How the hell can he claim he is the right man for the job? What credentials can he point to? What experience or achievements?

How can he say he was the “standout candidate” with so many good prospective candidates readily available?

How does he explain a 5 week recruitment process that ends up with the bloke that puts out the cones?

How can he talk about “ambition” ever again?

I’m asking genuinely here - I really can’t see a way the club can present this in any sort of positive light. Any ideas?

This strikes me as the most appallingly damaging episode I can remember in over 30 years supporting this club, in terms of fanbase relations and cohesion between club and supporters. It’s a disaster. And it’s beyond my comprehension how the club can’t see that and how they are going to let it happen.

'The bloke that puts out the cones'.  :laugh:. Now that made me chuckle

3 hours ago, John Galley said:

But Mark Ashton told us at the beginning of this debacle that “You the fans will be the first to know when we make an appointment” not via the Evening Post media. So either this appointment is rumour or the man is a liar.

Holden it is then.

I can’t really add much to what has already been said.

I do wonder why he needs the weekend to think it over however.

Maybe he realizes that there will be very little patience afforded to him from us.

Its is just a mess and if DH says thanks but no thanks, what happens then.

Players back on Monday and no senior coaches - bloody hell.

It's going to be hilarious to hear what he says, not only only regarding the Head Coach pantomime but also remembering how he told us a few years back how brilliant a defensive coach McAllistair was and that Pembo had to go as a result.

Can't see that "we're racing to the bottom" is going to figure, although it's an accurate description of the present situation.

“Ultimately, the search for the new Head Coach has been an existential process-driven journey, one which has amalgamated a myriad of creative and innovative thought-provoking techniques, whilst always focusing on the end result, which, in no uncertain terms has been unequivocally achieved. We were overwhelmed by the width and depth of applicants, and this just goes to underpin the global reach the brand now has, and further demonstrates our commitment to the further development of the hybrid relationship between the club and the consumer. We are delighted to have thoroughly exhausted all appropriate and channel-based avenues, resulting in a colloquial and analytical deep-dive into various pools of talent using all the resources and cutting edge technology available on the current market....”

....(lots of awkward lip-licking to wipe away the spittle)....

”...and oh yeah we gave the job to Dean.”

5 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I really hope so, but until I hear we’ve lowered our expectations out of the blue - I’ll be judging him by the same parameters i’d have judged LJ/Hughton/Cook/Gerrard etc - top 6. 

That’s a huge ask for him in his first season and under the current circumstances.

Yes, I’m sure too 6 will be the aim.  All clubs playing field levelled by covid to some extent.

I will critique him as I do all players and managers.

4 hours ago, mozo said:

Dave I personally think it's literally impossible to speculate to if Holden can do the job or not. We know from our own experience, and other clubs too, that caretaker performances don't indicate how a manager will perform in the role proper. A caretaker just has to make the game fun for the players again and has a freedom to make mistakes. We haven't seen the real Dean Holden, just like we hadn't seen the real Keith Millen and Leicester hadn't seen the real Craig Shakespeare when he orchestrated an impressive win over Liverpool as caretaker, before proceeding to get a three year deal and earn the sack a few months later. 

There's literally nothing to tell us if Holden has the minerals, which is what makes this such a high risk appointment. Perhaps those that have seen him coach can attest to a special individual?

Back to the original post, Ashton would be advised to be humble and as honest as the situation permits, but I don't expect it. He'll be instructed to promote the Lansdown decision and will do so in his usual manner.

Totally valid Mozo. Like everything our opinions about things like this are based around little fact, just speculation and gut feel.

With players you have games to judge them by....and I mean. Ore than 5!!

Enjoy the ride!

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Totally valid Mozo. Like everything our opinions about things like this are based around little fact, just speculation and gut feel.

With players you have games to judge them by....and I mean. Ore than 5!!

Enjoy the ride!

You would hope for a honeymoon period, but it'll be interesting to see how a Holden  side reacts to defeat.

Having said that about the new manager boost, we'll also have to be patient with what could be a yound side with new players, or at least former loanees integrated. 

The Winter months will probably tell us whether he has the mettle. By then, he'll have had to make difficult, possibly unpopular decisions, and maybe a bit of hairdryer along the way. There might be fatigue to contend with too. City tend to struggle in January and February (and March?!) So it will be an interesting time for a rookie head coach.

3 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

And it’s a very good question.

All I know is the uncertainty of the future with regards to future revenue. It costs millions of pounds a year to run a Championship club in normal times , these are not normal times .

Even if SL was willing to bail out the club FFP would surely be breached . 

Don’t forget that everyone currently at the club has a contract signed when a certain level of revenue was achievable , not to mention the pay offs for LJ and JM. 

We all know SL is not a gambler and therefore this all points to a safe pair of hands to hold the fort whilst we see what happens.

Worse than this would be having CH with potentially his own coaching staff , new players etc and finding that , in true City style , the bloke has lost his touch . Imagine having to pay off that as well.

It is COVID to blame for our opportunity blown and the club for the lack of communication. 

But everyone's in the same boat, Major.  All clubs will cut clothes to fit. Wage caps are likely. Values will be depressed. 

Nonetheless, the relatively small (as a percentage of total spend) difference between a star manager and a rookie should be seen as a sensible investment. 

Getting to the PL should still be seen as the Promised Land. The extra revenue that would generate would cancel out the extra managerial costs hundreds of times over.

It isn't as if all clubs are going to play 20/21 with youth teams and no one is going to get promoted. 

43 minutes ago, Slack Bladder said:

Will be interesting to see how long his contract will be.

A 12 month rolling contract I expect will tell a story

That could be another theory for why he didn't accept the role up front. Presume he wanted 3 years, and if 1 year was offered (big speculative if), and tabled as non-negotiable, he and his agent might decide to ask for time to consider the deal.

Again, this is just my imagination working overtime...

6 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Gregor stated on twitter that he’d been offered the job. He doesn’t make bold claims like that unless he’s confident he’s right. And he has been consistently right on Gerrard, Hughton and Holden throughout this fiasco.

Gregor’s comments have far more credibility than your random claims that “he was informed he hadn’t got the job when he returned from holiday” - unless you can provide us with some evidence and good reasons to believe you....can you?

Gregor wasn’t right on Gerrard. The Post originally said that he had turned us down. They back tracked on that when Gerrard, when interviewed in Scotland, said he had never even been approached by City and it was all paper talk. Gregor said on the Radio Bristol interview today that no one had turned us down. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

Gregor wasn’t right on Gerrard. The Post originally said that he had turned us down. They back tracked on that when Gerrard, when interviewed in Scotland, said he had never even been approached by City and it was all paper talk. Gregor said on the Radio Bristol interview today that no one had turned us down. 

Gerrard isn’t going to outright say what happened whilst employed by Rangers. We would’ve sounded his agent out first and discussed things with him. That’s how we were ‘turned down’.

2 hours ago, reformed_red said:

“Ultimately, the search for the new Head Coach has been an existential process-driven journey, one which has amalgamated a myriad of creative and innovative thought-provoking techniques, whilst always focusing on the end result, which, in no uncertain terms has been unequivocally achieved. We were overwhelmed by the width and depth of applicants, and this just goes to underpin the global reach the brand now has, and further demonstrates our commitment to the further development of the hybrid relationship between the club and the consumer. We are delighted to have thoroughly exhausted all appropriate and channel-based avenues, resulting in a colloquial and analytical deep-dive into various pools of talent using all the resources and cutting edge technology available on the current market....”

....(lots of awkward lip-licking to wipe away the spittle)....

”...and oh yeah we gave the job to Dean.”

You got the job in PR at City. We didn't think you needed an interview

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

But everyone's in the same boat, Major.  All clubs will cut clothes to fit. Wage caps are likely. Values will be depressed. 

Nonetheless, the relatively small (as a percentage of total spend) difference between a star manager and a rookie should be seen as a sensible investment. 

Getting to the PL should still be seen as the Promised Land. The extra revenue that would generate would cancel out the extra managerial costs hundreds of times over.

It isn't as if all clubs are going to play 20/21 with youth teams and no one is going to get promoted. 

Absolutely.

Three teams, who had to compete within the same parameters as the other 21, will be promoted to the premier league this season.

Nice if we were one of them.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Gerrard isn’t going to outright say what happened whilst employed by Rangers. We would’ve sounded his agent out first and discussed things with him. That’s how we were ‘turned down’.

Just pointing out that Gregor has given two opposites message re Gerrard. 1 he turned us down and 2. he hasn’t turned us down. He’s certainly covering all bases! 

Archived