IGNORED

How the hell does Ashton spin this?

ChippenhamRed

7 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I genuinely don’t know how Ashton can spin this appointment to be anything other than the pathetic shambles that it is. What on earth can he say?

How the hell can he claim he is the right man for the job? What credentials can he point to? What experience or achievements?

How can he say he was the “standout candidate” with so many good prospective candidates readily available?

How does he explain a 5 week recruitment process that ends up with the bloke that puts out the cones?

How can he talk about “ambition” ever again?

I’m asking genuinely here - I really can’t see a way the club can present this in any sort of positive light. Any ideas?

This strikes me as the most appallingly damaging episode I can remember in over 30 years supporting this club, in terms of fanbase relations and cohesion between club and supporters. It’s a disaster. And it’s beyond my comprehension how the club can’t see that and how they are going to let it happen.

There isn't a club. Its a Father and Son act. Mr Ashton will present whatever decision the Father decides is appropriate as would any other employee of a corporate entity.   

Mr Lansdown has made it clear in the past, it is his money, his decision, his club - Fans do not put enough money into his club to have a relationship beyond customer and consumer. 

6 hours ago, Xiled said:

We want a manager with a proven track record but at this unique moment in time (and with a rapidly declining income) perhaps the cheap option is the right option. 

Fair enough but why bother spending five weeks shopping for a Ferrari when you then buy a pushbike.

And what happened to the requirement of a “breath of fresh air” and taking the club to the next level?

.... and I’ll add two more ‘possibles’ to my earlier list  ... Howe or Moyes.... which could explain the wait and an interim appointment - Holden - being made. 

This would explain the apparent unexplainable.

SL/MA could well turn out to be our hero’s!

I’ll give them a few more days. 

8 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I genuinely don’t know how Ashton can spin this appointment to be anything other than the pathetic shambles that it is. What on earth can he say?

How the hell can he claim he is the right man for the job? What credentials can he point to? What experience or achievements?

How can he say he was the “standout candidate” with so many good prospective candidates readily available?

How does he explain a 5 week recruitment process that ends up with the bloke that puts out the cones?

I’m asking genuinely here - I really can’t see a way the club can present this in any sort of positive light. Any ideas?

This strikes me as the most appallingly damaging episode I can remember in over 30 years supporting this club, in terms of fanbase relations and cohesion between club and supporters. It’s a disaster. And it’s beyond my comprehension how the club can’t see that and how they are going to let it happen.

we'll be told "he interviewed well"..............yes a day on and I'm still in a state of disbelief

Another possible explanation for the leaked offer is to turn up the heat on another candidate.

Maybe we’d given Hughton until Friday morning to agree to our structure. We then leak that we’d met and offered Holden the job, but give 48 hours before any announcement to allow Hughton to come back in to the race.

Rubbish way to treat Holden and I can’t really see it being true, but football can be cut-throat at times.

I'm just holding on to the tiniest glimmer of hope that GMcG is wrong. 

It won't be MA with the difficult job of selling it to us. It will instead be hilarious to see all the furious posters on OTIB having to apologise for all the hate towards the Lansdowns. 

I suspect most would then adopt the radio silence predicted from Ashton if DH does get the job. 

Taking the weekend “to think about it” is odd. We’re not asking him to relocate; and I was under the impression the “thinking” about this job was to be done during his holiday. Aren’t the players back in on Monday anyway?

That part still doesn’t add up for me and I think there’s a very faint glimmer of hope that this isn’t a done deal.

All this before a ball has been kicked. I don’t suppose anyone has thought that it might be a good appointment, or maybe wait until a few months into the season?

And next season we will have the “If we had appointed Hughton” threads at every dropped point....

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

I'm just holding on to the tiniest glimmer of hope that GMcG is wrong. 

It won't be MA with the difficult job of selling it to us. It will instead be hilarious to see all the furious posters on OTIB having to apologise for all the hate towards the Lansdowns. 

I suspect most would then adopt the radio silence predicted from Ashton if DH does get the job. 

2 minutes ago, Chappers said:

All this before a ball has been kicked. I don’t suppose anyone has thought that it might be a good appointment, or maybe wait until a few months into the season?

And next season we will have the “If we had appointed Hughton” threads at every dropped point....

Of course it might be a good appointment, it’s entirely possible. He might be a better appointment than any of the other rumoured names. The issue is the lack of evidence - Hughton for example has an exceptional track record. That can’t be argued with.

People are furious that the board dithered and raised expectations making fans think we were after a top candidate.. and have ended up with our assistant manager.

There’s growing anger about the difficult atmosphere that Holden will be taking this job in. It’s really unfair and needlessly has made his job many times harder.

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I genuinely think Deano will do ok though.

Dave I personally think it's literally impossible to speculate to if Holden can do the job or not. We know from our own experience, and other clubs too, that caretaker performances don't indicate how a manager will perform in the role proper. A caretaker just has to make the game fun for the players again and has a freedom to make mistakes. We haven't seen the real Dean Holden, just like we hadn't seen the real Keith Millen and Leicester hadn't seen the real Craig Shakespeare when he orchestrated an impressive win over Liverpool as caretaker, before proceeding to get a three year deal and earn the sack a few months later. 

There's literally nothing to tell us if Holden has the minerals, which is what makes this such a high risk appointment. Perhaps those that have seen him coach can attest to a special individual?

Back to the original post, Ashton would be advised to be humble and as honest as the situation permits, but I don't expect it. He'll be instructed to promote the Lansdown decision and will do so in his usual manner.

49 minutes ago, City oz said:

It will not be DH. He was informed that he has not got the job when he returned from holiday. If he was going to get the job it would of been announced three weeks ago. Has any one actually seen a respected bit of news that he has been offered the job ??

i wouldn’t be surprised if Mr Ashton is laughing his c*&k off reading these debates.

he has to announce one of these 4 on Monday.

Hughton, Cowley, Terry, or Steve Robinson from Motherwell. 

We will be surprised late Monday and all will be revealed.

Christ I wish I shared your optimism!

I feel it’s very unlikely however I would be happy with any of the names above. I can’t see it though.

56 minutes ago, Jacki said:

As others have said, this all points to other managers on our list running a mile when they realised that MA and SL are involved at every level of decision making on the football side of the business. No quality, high profile applicant would put up with it and that’s why we are where we are again.

@Olé said on Twitter last night something along the lines that the mask is off with all this stuff now and sadly I think he’s right. We have an owner who just loves meddling and won’t stop himself playing real life fantasy football with our club. It’s the only explanation I can see for what’s happened. Sadly this whole episode has demonstrated to me that, unless the stars align and we get lucky with this ‘strategy’ one season, we’ll never make it to the Premier League while Ashton and the Lansdowns are at the club. 

I’ve picked your post to quote, but to be fair could have picked from any number of posts as the feeling is the same. Also you quoted @Olé and although I aren’t seen his post he is a poster who’s views I respect.

I totally understand the points made about MA and SL’s involvement, but why has he treated Rugby so totally differently? He is gaining success year on year after appointing Pat Lam who as we all know is a proven manager who attracts quality, and won’t move for anyone even half as good for his football team.

We can all use Covid as a reason. I will ask if we were in the situation now where Rugby needed a Manager would we go for a Pat Lam type, I think we would. 

3 minutes ago, Chappers said:

Not sure it matters that a ball hasn’t been kicked. I don’t think nearly as many on here would be so deflated if we hadn’t been sold so much (apparent) BS by the club in the days following LJ’s departure. As many before me have said it is a very, very strange decision to promote the previous assistant (and sack another) after explicitly mentioning the volume and quality of candidates interested in the role. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I also feel very sorry for Holden. It should be a huge moment for him personally, a huge job and opportunity.

The board have made it nigh on impossible for him unless he makes an outstanding start. I’m certain he’ll accept, but the board have made it so much harder for him through raising expectations and faffing around. A quick appointment after LJ citing Covid uncertainty and fans would be more forgiving. A couple of early losses and he’s going to get such a tough time.

I also feel sorry for DH, it should be a proud moment in his career to get such a job, he appears to be a top guy that doesn't deserve to be hung out like this. I really hope he declines & finds work elsewhere immediately, then we will see the biggest mound of BS ever delivered from Ashon & Co, or should I say SL & Co.

I just hope it doesn't get ugly for DH, he doesn't deserve that sort of treatment.

7 hours ago, One Team said:

In terms of the title of the thread why aren’t SL and JL implicated?

I see Ashton bearing the brunt of our frustrations but why should they be let off the hook?

Of course like all of you I am grateful for what they have done off the pitch but that doesn’t mean they are beyond criticism for woeful football decisions. Again. 

Fair point. I referred to Ashton simply because he is the public face and the one who will be selling the new manager to us. We may hear from Lansdown, but we will definitely hear from Ashton. He will be the one spinning this appointment and I question how on Earth he can do it.

SL and JL are certainly not free from criticism in this fiasco irrespective of how much money they’ve ploughed into the club - quite the opposite.

47 minutes ago, City oz said:

The club didn’t get any thing out on Friday night DH had the job. Have I missed something ?

Gregor stated on twitter that he’d been offered the job. He doesn’t make bold claims like that unless he’s confident he’s right. And he has been consistently right on Gerrard, Hughton and Holden throughout this fiasco.

Gregor’s comments have far more credibility than your random claims that “he was informed he hadn’t got the job when he returned from holiday” - unless you can provide us with some evidence and good reasons to believe you....can you?

5 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

Christ I wish I shared your optimism!

I feel it’s very unlikely however I would be happy with any of the names above. I can’t see it though.

? optimism “ hopefulness and confidence about the future or the success of something”

I am optimistic on the future of the club like all of us. Here’s hoping Monday will bring closure to the last 4 or 5 weeks. We all love City and most are getting frustrated which has resulted in some posts and comments slightly not nice to others. 

It’s still a big COYR from me and looking forward to prem league season after next.

21 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Taking the weekend “to think about it” is odd. We’re not asking him to relocate; and I was under the impression the “thinking” about this job was to be done during his holiday. Aren’t the players back in on Monday anyway?

That part still doesn’t add up for me and I think there’s a very faint glimmer of hope that this isn’t a done deal.

I cling to this.

26 minutes ago, RedM said:

I’ve picked your post to quote, but to be fair could have picked from any number of posts as the feeling is the same. Also you quoted @Olé and although I aren’t seen his post he is a poster who’s views I respect.

I totally understand the points made about MA and SL’s involvement, but why has he treated Rugby so totally differently? He is gaining success year on year after appointing Pat Lam who as we all know is a proven manager who attracts quality, and won’t move for anyone even half as good for his football team.

We can all use Covid as a reason. I will ask if we were in the situation now where Rugby needed a Manager would we go for a Pat Lam type, I think we would. 

The difference between the way they run the rugby and football clubs is the thing that baffles me too. I wonder if SL thinks he knows more about football because he’s been in it for longer? I remember both him and Johnson talking openly about how they debrief together after each game for whatever reason....   Maybe SL genuinely thinks he’s a football expert? I just can’t think why there would be such a difference in approach other than that poor attempt at assuming? 

Whatever the explanation, there’s a huge difference between someone Lam in the rugby and a series of untried novices at BCFC. 

23 minutes ago, John Galley said:

But Mark Ashton told us at the beginning of this debacle that “You the fans will be the first to know when we make an appointment” not via the Evening Post media. So either this appointment is rumour or the man is a liar.

We find out on Monday whether or not we,,the fare paying fans have been lied to by all of them....

And what was going on last weekend with Jonny boy' posting messages,,arrows pointing at the roof intimating an imminent arrival??....then defended by the theckless 'superfans that Jon wouldn't tease in such a way without something tangible to follow....he wouldn't do that to us.............................wrong.

Bloke needs to grow up.

Think Tinman was at it also??....

Taking the effing piss indeed.

7 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Totally agree.

I’m not sure how he can announce Holden with being honest about failing to get other managers across the line.  He can say they didn’t impress, but I can’t believe it budget....or why would you bother chasing them.  So it can only be structure and control....and that’s either wanting to bring in their own people or not getting a big enough say.

We’ve seen the club improve its status to probably its highest attractiveness in many years (certainly 10+), and I think it’s proved that the 3 men who are truly running the show (SL, MA and JL) between them have been found out by the managers they’ve interviewed, for being below the skill level to attract the best candidates.  Obviously assumes there’s no last minute panic repair job with Hughton.

Ashton might end up being the fall guy here from a board perspective.

Deano will be too, but in some respects he was just an internal applicant who they had to go with.  Who knows they may have asked him to carry on as a longer term caretaker?  He is putting some of his career on the line as a manager perhaps, but not as a coach.

I genuinely think Deano will do ok though.

LJ did ok/better than OK sometimes. But that wasn’t good enough and nothing suggests to me that Holden can surpass anything that LJ did.

9 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Totally agree. Think how hughton must feel if he applied knowing that someone else pipped him to the job with very little credentials against his cv

2 hours ago, Meh said:

I do get the argument for the cheap option BUT I see Prem teams still spending millions on average players so they don’t seem to be finding times that tough.

Maybe the team that goes for it in the hard climate reaps the reward come May 2021 time when like Fulham , Leeds and West Brom they earn the riches that have made their risky investments worthwhile.

We could have got CH for a lot less than we seemed to have been prepared to pay for Gerrard (when you consider rumoured salary and compensation), let him trade a bit and spend a bit which is a risk granted and see where that took us in 9 months time.

Nobody can be sure it would actually be a better position than we will be now, but, hard to believe it would not have been.

As I said elsewhere, Covid hasn't affected our club harder than others. All 24 clubs in the Championship have lost revenue.

Neither has it changed the mathematics of the league. Three clubs go up - and it will be no harder for City to get promoted next season than it was last one.

The Holden appointment is the sort of appointment clubs make when they are in administration- not when they have a solvent billionaire at the helm. 

I know Lansdown doesn't know much about football but no way can he have thought Holden is more likely to succeed in getting us promoted than, say, Hughton - or many other candidates.

So we can only assume saving money was a major consideration.  The question is why? 

46 minutes ago, mozo said:

Dave I personally think it's literally impossible to speculate to if Holden can do the job or not. We know from our own experience, and other clubs too, that caretaker performances don't indicate how a manager will perform in the role proper. A caretaker just has to make the game fun for the players again and has a freedom to make mistakes. We haven't seen the real Dean Holden, just like we hadn't seen the real Keith Millen and Leicester hadn't seen the real Craig Shakespeare when he orchestrated an impressive win over Liverpool as caretaker, before proceeding to get a three year deal and earn the sack a few months later. 

There's literally nothing to tell us if Holden has the minerals, which is what makes this such a high risk appointment. Perhaps those that have seen him coach can attest to a special individual?

Back to the original post, Ashton would be advised to be humble and as honest as the situation permits, but I don't expect it. He'll be instructed to promote the Lansdown decision and will do so in his usual manner.

snake.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

As I said elsewhere, Covid hasn't affected our club harder than others. All 24 clubs in the Championship have lost revenue.

Neither has it changed the mathematics of the league. Three clubs go up - and it will be no harder for City to get promoted next season than it was last one.

The Holden appointment is the sort of appointment clubs make when they are in administration- not when they have a solvent billionaire at the helm. 

I know Lansdown doesn't know much about football but no way can he have thought Holden is more likely to succeed in getting us promoted than, say, Hughton - or many other candidates.

So we can only assume saving money was a major consideration.  The question is why? 

Steve is an accountant by trade I guess...

Once a bean counter...~?

Archived