IGNORED

positive message for dean holden lets all pull together

big dosser

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

It just seems too big a job when he should be learning the ropes in league 1 & 2 like Wellens and Lowe have been. Also does he have many contacts in the game who he can call up on 

Maybe he is just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.  He may well do a very good job. We may be about to find out.

14 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He sounds like a decent guy and hope he does well.

It's a big ask for a novice manager though and I fear if he does badly will destroy any future hopes of a career in football management for him. 

If we lose Fam and Elliasson think he will do well to keep us up to be honest. 

I don’t think losing Fam will be too much of a disappointment! Strike rate, accuracy both questionable, defending set pieces excellent but overall not good enough for a top 6 champ team, Elliason is brilliant when allowed to play to his strengths, but not with Fam as his ball control is poor. 
Not a clue what Holden can offer, 2nd fiddle to LJ at 2 clubs, nothing to show for it personally and obviously not a strong enough person to have been able to influence or change LJs miserable approach.

In the games played after Cardiff Holden did give us some hope and his stats were better than LJ of late, but he was still a massive let down when it came to subs and timing, a squad big enough to allow some sensible rotation but it did not happen!

2 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Maybe he is just fortunate to be in the right place at the right time.  He may well do a very good job. We may be about to find out.

I agree he may surprise you all but it's a big gamble if you start off badly as you would imagine Lansdown would support him for a year or so even if you were bottom of the league 

28 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Doesn’t wash because otherwise the club wouldn’t have looked into Hughton or Gerrard. They raised expectations and explored expensive options. If Covid was a genuine consideration then they wouldn’t have.

Where did the club state that they were looking into Gerrard, or Hughton..? 

We wanted them too. The media suggested they were, but there's been no mention of intent from the club, that I've seen anyway. 

They can't be held accountable for people believing what they read from other media. 

3 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I agree he may surprise you all but it's a big gamble if you start off badly as you would imagine Lansdown would support him for a year or so even if you were bottom of the league 

He has to be given a chance. Lee was very young and inexperienced when he started to be head coach and his first couple of years were maybe more entertaining than the last two.

5 minutes ago, dave36 said:

I don’t think losing Fam will be too much of a disappointment! Strike rate, accuracy both questionable, defending set pieces excellent but overall not good enough for a top 6 champ team, Elliason is brilliant when allowed to play to his strengths, but not with Fam as his ball control is poor. 
Not a clue what Holden can offer, 2nd fiddle to LJ at 2 clubs, nothing to show for it personally and obviously not a strong enough person to have been able to influence or change LJs miserable approach.

In the games played after Cardiff Holden did give us some hope and his stats were better than LJ of late, but he was still a massive let down when it came to subs and timing, a squad big enough to allow some sensible rotation but it did not happen!

You wouldn't be disappointed if we lost Fam, arguably or best player all over the pitch, and our top scorer - but you think the erratic Eliason is "brilliant"..?! 

8 minutes ago, dave36 said:

Fam was our player on the season mate?! 

4 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Will DH be able to attract the players to the club? I’m not so sure. It’s just so disappointing, had so much promise and this seems such a backwards step.

I don't think anyone would be attracting many players at the moment. We won't be signing anyone of note in the current financial climate. Not unless we sell first, at least. 

I fully believe this is why we've gone with DH. Not doubt we'd have liked Hughton or similar, but to keep his impressive championship level CV in tact, he was probably wanting funds at his disposal that were simply not realistic in the current situation. 

Pure conjecture on my part, but I think that's highly likely how it played out. 

5 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

He has to be given a chance. Lee was very young and inexperienced when he started to be head coach and his first couple of years were maybe more entertaining than the last two.

No he wasn't LJ managed both Oldham and Barnsley for several seasons before taking the City job, talking nonsense as per usual.

Holden has absolutely zero credentials for a top half championship team, bombed out of Oldham and overlooked by league 2 Bolton for their managerial vacancy.

59 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

He personally has my full support as do the team, but I’m really angry with how the board have made things so much harder for him. 

He’s going to be given no time from many fans and is fighting on the back foot before he’s started. It’s incredibly unfair how they’ve dropped him in it like this. 

Personally I’m expecting top 6 as this was what LJ was sacked for not achieving.

Best of luck Dean, you’re going to need it.

Sums up exactly how I feel

8 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

We wanted them too. The media suggested they were, but there's been no mention of intent from the club, that I've seen anyway. 

They can't be held accountable for people believing what they read from other media. 

Obviously they didn’t ‘state’ it because that doesn’t happen. It’s up to us to pick and choose what we believe in the media - personally I believe we sounded out Gerrard (via agent perhaps) and have interviewed Hughton. If you don’t then fine.

What people can hold accountable are Lansdown for his talksport interview and Ashton for his statement about applicants. 

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

I don't think anyone would be attracting many players at the moment. We won't be signing anyone of note in the current financial climate. Not unless we sell first, at least. 

I fully believe this is why we've gone with DH. Not doubt we'd have liked Hughton or similar, but to keep his impressive championship level CV in tact, he was probably wanting funds at his disposal that were simply not realistic in the current situation. 

Pure conjecture on my part, but I think that's highly likely how it played out. 

Maybe they see this season as a free hit. I hope not, but DH has to better LJ now, it could be a stroke of genius, who knows! Or a unmitigated disaster. I’m disappointed of course but happy to be proved wrong.

Of course we have to support Holden..to start with.

If we are in the mix for promotion by Christmas then some slices of humble pie will have to be eaten by some on here. If we are in the mix for relegation then anyone who comes onto OTIB will find smoke coming out of their device.

Let's wait for the first few games at least, whoever is appointed.

To be fair, the current financial situation and projected revenues etc must make for some massively difficult decisions with more risks attached than ever before. This in turn will make contractual discussions (and demands) very delicate to deal with.

10 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

He should have been given the chance in league 1 or 2 not in the Championship. Wellens and Ryan Lowe learning their trade the right way. Not catapulted in because he was cheap and available to the second tier of English football from being number 2 to Johnson.

im as gutted as anyone we did not bring a big name in but it is not deans fault,all I hope is he gets us playing attacking football again,gets the team to get us off are seats and the atmosphere back.and for me keep myself in my seat for the whole game instead of going down for a couple of pints at 3.30 where I have been that bloody pissed off with the rubbish we have been served

9 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

No he wasn't LJ managed both Oldham and Barnsley for several seasons before taking the City job, talking nonsense as per usual.

Holden has absolutely zero credentials for a top half championship team, bombed out of Oldham and overlooked by league 2 Bolton for their managerial vacancy.

So do you not concede that he may have expanded his horizons during the last 4 years at Ashton Gate?

After the absolute shambles of the "process" and the continuing silence from the club, it seem to me that Holden has been hung out to dry with him receiving some unwarranted flak which should be directed at the board. 

I'll support him 100% and be willing him to succeed - but the board have proven their incompetence through this "process" imo and may have done some long term harm to the clubs reputation as well as alienate supporters. Even if they were to appoint Hughton at this stage it would make no difference to that opinion. 

Done with them - they're full of shite.

3 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

He should have been given the chance in league 1 or 2 not in the Championship. Wellens and Ryan Lowe learning their trade the right way. Not catapulted in because he was cheap and available to the second tier of English football from being number 2 to Johnson.

It is down to where he was when the opportunity presented itself.

9 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Obviously they didn’t ‘state’ it because that doesn’t happen. It’s up to us to pick and choose what we believe in the media - personally I believe we sounded out Gerrard (via agent perhaps) and have interviewed Hughton. If you don’t then fine.

What people can hold accountable are Lansdown for his talksport interview and Ashton for his statement about applicants. 

I do believe we looked at both options, yes. 

The club haven't told we that we have though. It's what I choose to believe, from what I've read. The club aren't accountable for my interpretations. 

And getting applicants doesn't mean that they were suitable for the job at hand, withing the current climate particularly. 

Of course I'm disappointed if it is to be Holden, but the club haven't specifically promised me anyone different. 

1 hour ago, forestofdean said:

lets all be honest chaps we have had some right old ding dongs on here for the last couple of weeks which has caused many of us to have a right go at each other and this is caused by the love and passion for are beloved club {yes are club Bristol city)

if you agree or don't with the appointment one thing is for sure if I had the chance to manage Bristol city fc I would step up in a heartbeat and im sure most of you would to.

i will give dean the upmost respect for taking on the challenge and get behind him and the team as much as i can.

i feel this is the time we all need to pull together as one more than ever and im sure dean is going to need all are support which im sure he will get

one thing chaps to remember is this is our club and will always be our club weather you own it or not we all put are hard earned money into it we all have the ups and downs together.

BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB FOR LIFE

The problem I have with this “let’s all pull together” thing is, although obviously laudable in many ways, it also feels like Ashton and the board get away with it.

The is exactly the sort of thread they would want to see - it feels like a move towards acceptance.

I don’t know what the answer is.

1 hour ago, bris red said:

Im City forever always have been always will be. I will however significantly scale back my support for this club whilst this current dictatorship is in charge. 

bris red I agree 80s/90s and early 20s would go to any game I could but like you I have also lost interest in the way the club is run

give me the east end back and the old club shop any day 

21 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

They can be held accountable for statements on record about ambition like these - none of which equate to appointing the rookie caretaker manager.

11 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Maybe they see this season as a free hit. I hope not, but DH has to better LJ now, it could be a stroke of genius, who knows! Or a unmitigated disaster. I’m disappointed of course but happy to be proved wrong.

Exactly how I see it. 

I pray that DH turns out to be our Eddie Howe. I don't think he will, based on probability. But he might..! 

It's the board who have interviewed the applicants, spoken to tham and seen who can/will work within the climate that no income has created. 

Could it be a "stop gap" until the future is clearer..? I think that would be harsh on DH. 

It does beg the question as to why replace LJ, for me. 

If we'd just appointed a young namager who'd done the job that LJ has done here, elsewhere - I think most would be far happier than they are this morning. 

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The problem I have with this “let’s all pull together” thing is, although obviously laudable in many ways, it also feels like Ashton and the board get away with it.

The is exactly the sort of thread they would want to see - it feels like a move towards acceptance.

Spot on. This was exactly my train of thought yesterday 

The issue for me isn’t Holden getting the job. It’s the way the club has handled it over the last 5 weeks .

The lies, the false promises, the delays, the lack of communication....the sheer contempt shown towards the fans in recent weeks. 

I still fancy there to be one more twist in this one though. I really do 

59 minutes ago, ashton_fan said:

So would you rather have a foreign owner who will asset-strip the club into bankruptcy as has happened to several other clubs in the Championship? As with the campaign to get LJ out changes don't always result in the situation improving and it can get much worse. The Lansdowns have pumped tens of millions into this club and are entitles to appoint who they want, they are responsible owners and we should be grateful, many clubs will go to the wall during COVID but BCFC won't.

Why is it a choice of foreign, asset-stripping owners or The Lansdowns?

The irony of your comment of course  is that the Lansdowns have already stripped the club’s main asset in Ashton Gate and it now belongs to them.

Surely a board who share the same objectives as the fans, who hire the best talent they can sensibly afford and leave them to get the **** on with the job would suffice? 

It’s really not a big ask for the owners to stop interfering and treat the club correctly as the custodians they should be, as opppsed to feeding their ego and treating It as a shiny toy for Jonboy.

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

I do believe we looked at both options, yes. 

The club haven't told we that we have though. It's what I choose to believe, from what I've read. The club aren't accountable for my interpretations. 

So because the club didn’t state it explicitly does that mean every transfer we hear about that doesn’t come off is only down to our interpretation? This isn’t Robbored’s world where only the OS is true. We’re allowed to weigh up evidence and make a judgement based on sources that aren’t the club.

And getting applicants doesn't mean that they were suitable for the job at hand, withing the current climate particularly. 

Of course I'm disappointed if it is to be Holden, but the club haven't specifically promised me anyone different. 

Have you heard Lansdown’s TalkSport interview? Appointing Holden contradicts basically all of it.

11 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree with you %100 and if I had the money I would buy the club and sweep them under the carpet,the problem is they are the money and yes they can do what ever they want with the club you are kids and grandkids love and the sad thing is there money will always win

56 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

In rural Somerset we are more laid back (some to the extent that they appear laid out!) - tell me, can all this frustration change the outcome?  If not, the support your club and support the new head coach.

I really don't understand this argument, if i'm not happy about decisions made by the government do I just accept it ( Poll Tax being one example) and let them carry on . Protest can and will change decisions ,to appoint DH when our aim is for the Premier League is perverse and defies all logic.

The press conference will be interesting to say the least and unless a satisfactory explanation of how we were considering Steven Gerrard an internationally renown footballer to LJ's assistant who is arguably not the most well known person in his family, people have the right to vent their frustration.

Archived