IGNORED

positive message for dean holden lets all pull together

big dosser

I don't think there's a single person on here that would begrudge Holden taking the job, nor would they be negative about his initial decisions. Anyone that has followed the club for at least a few years will know that Lansdown wants to run the club in a specific way, and that means hiring a Head Coach, not a manager. Every popular name mentioned right now leans on the management side of the role, and Lansdown doesn't want to give up control of football affairs.

If Holden gets the job I'll be disappointed at Lansdown, but I will back Holden all the way.

5 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Campaign’ ?! ? Can you tell me about the ‘two year campaign to get LJ out’ please? Was a website set up to launch the ‘campaign’ and gain support? No ... Were there demonstrations at games? No ... Were there banners at games demanding he be sacked? No ... Was there sustained chanting from the fans at games demanding he be sacked? No ... So, please, what form did the ‘campaign’ take? A few disgruntled tweets? A few rows on this forum? 

Football fans are very fickle as there were no talks of any protest when beating Man Utd or the cracking games against Man City 

8 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

This is not a reasonable parallel with a democracy where the losers have to agree to follow the rules of the majority.......

Sorry to be ‘pedantic’, but under our ‘First past the post’ electoral system it’s possible (and common) to have a government in power that the MAJORITY voted against, yet have to abide by. May’s last government was an example of this. ?

39 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

‘Campaign’ ?! ? Can you tell me about the ‘two year campaign to get LJ out’ please? Was a website set up to launch the ‘campaign’ and gain support? No ... Were there demonstrations at games? No ... Were there banners at games demanding he be sacked? No ... Was there sustained chanting from the fans at games demanding he be sacked? No ... So, please, what form did the ‘campaign’ take? A few disgruntled tweets? A few rows on this forum? 

I'm speechless! Can't argue with that

9 hours ago, kiwicolin said:

It all comes down to,  do we want our club to survive,  as a previous message above. This pandemic will destroy some clubs . Hopefully with this decision,  ours will survive.  

Alternatively, it could prove to be us pushing the destruct button ourselves

9 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I agree he may surprise you all but it's a big gamble if you start off badly as you would imagine Lansdown would support him for a year or so even if you were bottom of the league 

And then eventually sack him and get another cheap option in... 

10 hours ago, forestofdean said:

lets all be honest chaps we have had some right old ding dongs on here for the last couple of weeks which has caused many of us to have a right go at each other and this is caused by the love and passion for are beloved club {yes are club Bristol city)

if you agree or don't with the appointment one thing is for sure if I had the chance to manage Bristol city fc I would step up in a heartbeat and im sure most of you would to.

i will give dean the upmost respect for taking on the challenge and get behind him and the team as much as i can.

i feel this is the time we all need to pull together as one more than ever and im sure dean is going to need all are support which im sure he will get

one thing chaps to remember is this is our club and will always be our club weather you own it or not we all put are hard earned money into it we all have the ups and downs together.

BRISTOL CITY FOOTBALL CLUB FOR LIFE

Well said, this forum and the comments under any City related post on social media are an embarrassment. A few friends who support other clubs are ridiculing the hysterical over-reaction.

1 hour ago, bcfcredandwhite said:

Sorry to be ‘pedantic’, but under our ‘First past the post’ electoral system it’s possible (and common) to have a government in power that the MAJORITY voted against, yet have to abide by. May’s last government was an example of this. ?

Very true, but the largest party in terms of seats usually - but not always will form a government.  Unless you manage to fill the Bristol City board with fans, you have chance of changing things. In extremis the owner always gets the last word - if he wants it!!

46 minutes ago, kiwicolin said:

Doubt it.

Steve Lansdown won't let that happen.  He's got too much to lose. 

Well, it certainly wouldn’t take too much of a downturn to see us back in League 1 and that would give our finances a massive jolt for sure.

I’m just hoping the football improves under DH, but I’m not anticipating any more than that and I’m expecting a very tough season ahead of us with this appointment.

It’s now clear that SL has abandoned thoughts of pushing for the Premier League, so I hope the bs stops and he admits that retaining our Championship status is now our main goal.

12 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

In rural Somerset we are more laid back (some to the extent that they appear laid out!) - tell me, can all this frustration change the outcome?  If not, the support your club and support the new head coach.

You may be, every City fan I know in Somerset is fuming. 

We have possibly the highest paid Rugby coach in the World coaching the Bristol Bears, the highest paid player in the World also plays for the Bears, whereas when it comes to football coaches we always take the cheap option.

The priority for Bristol Sport/ SL  is clearly, overwhelmingly,now Rugby. 

Lumsden, Gorman, Fawthorpe, Tinnion, Osman, Millen, and now Holden, all number 2’s that have been given the managers job at City, all the previous ones failed miserably. What is it with this club, why do we do this to ourselves. I used to feel this was my football club, and that the board were acting in mine, and all the other supporters interests, it now feels like it’s one persons play thing. 

6 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

You may be, every City fan I know in Somerset is fuming. 

We have possibly the highest paid Rugby coach in the World coaching the Bristol Bears, the highest paid player in the World also plays for the Bears, whereas when it comes to football coaches we always take the cheap option.

The priority for Bristol Sport/ SL  is clearly, overwhelmingly,now Rugby. 

Lumsden, Gorman, Fawthorpe, Tinnion, Osman, Millen, and now Holden, all number 2’s that have been given the managers job at City, all the previous ones failed miserably. What is it with this club, why do we do this to ourselves. I used to feel this was my football club, and that the board were acting in mine, and all the other supporters interests, it now feels like it’s one persons play thing. 

If you believe that the board of Bristol City are determined to make decisions that are to the detriment of the club, then I cannot agree. People on this forum seem to claim mystical knowledge of what is going on in the boardroom and in the minds of the directors and owner, that they cannot possibly know. I suspect that most of it is hysteria whipped up by being over imaginative.  The City project is to progress largely by developing talent and being sustainable. This may take a different brand of head coach than most people think they want.  I am content to wait and see before I declare that my 50+ love affair with City is over.  It is still our club but in a bigger and better stadium with modern toilets and first rate catering facilities, where players will soon enjoy state of the art training facilities and young players are nurtured through to stardom.  The future is bright - the future is red and white!

12 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

If you believe that the board of Bristol City are determined to make decisions that are to the detriment of the club, then I cannot agree. People on this forum seem to claim mystical knowledge of what is going on in the boardroom and in the minds of the directors and owner, that they cannot possibly know. I suspect that most of it is hysteria whipped up by being over imaginative.  The City project is to progress largely by developing talent and being sustainable. This may take a different brand of head coach than most people think they want.  I am content to wait and see before I declare that my 50+ love affair with City is over.  It is still our club but in a bigger and better stadium with modern toilets and first rate catering facilities, where players will soon enjoy state of the art training facilities and young players are nurtured through to stardom.  The future is bright - the future is red and white!

I ran out of likes. It’s a massive like from me. Well said BF. 

1 hour ago, Bat Fastard said:

Agreed.

A football club is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. In our case I believe we are lucky enough to have a benign dictatorship. You simply choose, or preferably have an intrinsic emotional attachment to, a particular club. The only power supporters have is to withdraw support but of course people rarely do - they can’t help themselves despite their threats.

So, depending on your personality type you either accept the club’s decisions with an occasional roll of the eyes or you keep having hissy fits. Either way the result is the same - zero influence.

4 minutes ago, TedsHeadIs Red said:

Agreed.

A football club is not a democracy, it is a dictatorship. In our case I believe we are lucky enough to have a benign dictatorship. You simply choose, or preferably have an intrinsic emotional attachment to, a particular club. The only power supporters have is to withdraw support but of course people rarely do - they can’t help themselves despite their threats.

Bristol city is not a dictatorship and never has been. OK most have an attachment of some kind to a football club. It could be a club that you have watched over sees, like watching on the tele etc. 

please do not under estimate the support for BCFC. If you were born in Bristol you were either born Red or Blue, there is no choice, its in your blood.

There are many of us around the world that are red and will always be red. If you have not got that built in passion then I feel sorry for you.

12 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I don't think there's a single person on here that would begrudge Holden taking the job, nor would they be negative about his initial decisions. Anyone that has followed the club for at least a few years will know that Lansdown wants to run the club in a specific way, and that means hiring a Head Coach, not a manager. Every popular name mentioned right now leans on the management side of the role, and Lansdown doesn't want to give up control of football affairs.

If Holden gets the job I'll be disappointed at Lansdown, but I will back Holden all the way.

Agree with you. Probably not the best feeling for Holden, dont think he was number one on the list. The worrying thing is that everything is so late. Baker, Famara, Niclas situation and a new manager. As a Cityfan I get behind the team and the gaffer but my vibes are not in the optimistic direction, hope Im wrong.

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

So you quote my post, but don’t actually deal with any of the points I raised ?‍♂️.

Do you agree that every number 2 given the manager’s job in the past has failed miserably?

Do you agree that it’s a fact that when it comes to rugby, paying for one of the best coaches isn’t a problem, whereas when it comes to  football it’s a different matter. 

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

So you quote my post, but don’t actually deal with any of the points I raised ?‍♂️.

Do you agree that every number 2 given the manager’s job in the past has failed miserably?

Do you agree that it’s a fact that when it comes to rugby, paying for one of the best coaches isn’t a problem, whereas when it comes to  football it’s a different matter. 

I expect there are many examples in football where No 2s have been promoted and succeeded.  Liverpool used to do it regularly in the past during their heyday. In terms of City, the number of examples are statistically insignificant.

I do not agree that what happens in the rugby has anything to do with Bristol City. They do not pay their players as much as we do and they do not have a stated plan to develop youngsters.

You clearly seem upset by all this surfeit of imagination.  It might surprise you, but I have positive and irrefutable evidence that you have the moral strength and fortitude to survive this episode in City history.  If I told you, you would have to admit that I had a point and I know that would hurt you.

8 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I expect there are many examples in football where No 2s have been promoted and succeeded.  Liverpool used to do it regularly in the past during their heyday. In terms of City, the number of examples are statistically insignificant.

I do not agree that what happens in the rugby has anything to do with Bristol City. They do not pay their players as much as we do and they do not have a stated plan to develop youngsters.

You clearly seem upset by all this surfeit of imagination.  It might surprise you, but I have positive and irrefutable evidence that you have the moral strength and fortitude to survive this episode in City history.  If I told you, you would have to admit that I had a point and I know that would hurt you.

Stop trying to tell ‘me’ how I feel, it’s patronising and your not clever enough to know.

Charles Piutau annual salary is one million pounds, so stop fooling yourself that the rugby players are not getting paid the money. With regard number 2’s, I’m not interested in Liverpool, Bristol City have promoted numerous number 2’s over the last 25 years, they have all failed miserably, that’s not my opinion, that is fact. 

Just now, Portland Bill said:

Stop trying to tell ‘me’ how I feel, it’s patronising and your not clever enough to know.

Charles Piutau annual salary is one million pounds, so stop fooling yourself that the rugby players are not getting paid the money. With regard number 2’s, I’m not interested in Liverpool, Bristol City have promoted numerous number 2’s over the last 25 years, they have all failed miserably, that’s not my opinion, that is fact. 

Clearly you are not interested in the proof that you can survive this insult to your Bristol City relationship. I do not follow the rugby and I am not interested in it. Every case of change of manager should be looked at on its merits and judged accordingly. None of us have any idea what the criteria are or how the decision was arrived at. Of course imagination is a wonderful thing.

11 hours ago, BrizzleRed said:

Well, it certainly wouldn’t take too much of a downturn to see us back in League 1 and that would give our finances a massive jolt for sure.

I’m just hoping the football improves under DH, but I’m not anticipating any more than that and I’m expecting a very tough season ahead of us with this appointment.

It’s now clear that SL has abandoned thoughts of pushing for the Premier League, so I hope the bs stops and he admits that retaining our Championship status is now our main goal.

You're right football can change really quickly and if say Holden lost the first half a dozen games and your bottom of the league in November/December then the rut would have set in. How would Lansdown react sack the manager at Xmas, spend big in January? By then it may be too late that's why it's important to get off to a good start otherwise the natives become restless 

3 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You're right football can change really quickly and if say Holden lost the first half a dozen games and your bottom of the league in November/December then the rut would have set in. How would Lansdown react sack the manager at Xmas, spend big in January? By then it may be too late that's why it's important to get off to a good start otherwise the natives become restless 

Too right Shaun.  The Chsmpionship is a really unforgiving leauge, which is why a good number of relegated Premier League sides find it hard to steady the ship when they come down. They appear to believe the Prem hype and think you only have to turn up to win.  

You certainly can’t afford to let your standards slip, as a mid-table side can easily become a relegation candidate.

We virtually never get a relatively easy game, though that could just be because we’re shit! ?

Just now, BrizzleRed said:

Too right Shaun.  The Chsmpionship is a really unforgiving leauge, which is why a good number of relegated Premier League sides find it hard to steady the ship when they come down. They appear to believe the Prem hype and think you only have to turn up to win.  

You certainly can’t afford to let your standards slip, as a mid-table side can easily become a relegation candidate.

We virtually never get a relatively easy game, though that could just be because we’re shit! ?

You're still better than us guys and would prefer to play you in the championship rather league one and have no idea if or when that will be?

2 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

You're still better than us guys and would prefer to play you in the championship rather league one and have no idea if or when that will be?

I wouldn’t want to put money on which division it’ll be in mate, judging by the circus we’ve got going on here atm.

We always manage to make it hard for ourselves here, that’s for sure.

1 minute ago, BrizzleRed said:

I wouldn’t want to put money on which division it’ll be in mate, judging by the circus we’ve got going on here atm.

We always manage to make it hard for ourselves here, that’s for sure.

I sense next season could be a tricky one if Holden dosen't start well 

On 08/08/2020 at 10:23, Phileas Fogg said:

He personally has my full support as do the team, but I’m really angry with how the board have made things so much harder for him. 

He’s going to be given no time from many fans and is fighting on the back foot before he’s started. It’s incredibly unfair how they’ve dropped him in it like this. 

Personally I’m expecting top 6 as this was what LJ was sacked for not achieving.

Best of luck Dean, you’re going to need it.

Hopefully any anger if/when things go wrong will be aimed at Lansdown and not Holden. Like most of us I don’t want him in charge , but don’t blame him for taking it . However , Lansdown has proved once again he knows very little if anything about football . 

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

I sense next season could be a tricky one if Holden dosen't start well 

Definitely right there.  

20 games experience as a manager is hardly great preparation to take over a side in the Championship, so it certainly isn’t going to be easy for him ..... or us I suspect!

20 hours ago, EnderMB said:

I don't think there's a single person on here that would begrudge Holden taking the job, nor would they be negative about his initial decisions. 

Almost all won’t begrudge him taking the opportunity, but there will be MANY fans and on here waiting for him to trip up on day one. Read the forums - many have already dismissed him. It’s toxic already

Archived