IGNORED

positive message for dean holden lets all pull together

big dosser

Just now, TonyTonyTony said:

Almost all won’t begrudge him taking the opportunity, but there will be MANY fans and on here waiting for him to trip up on day one. Read the forums - many have already dismissed him. It’s toxic already

Similar to whwn Luke Williams took the job a teen Swindon (the cheap option) he was also a decent person but when things went wrong he wouldn't quit as he was on a five year contract with a young family to support and Power didn't want to pay the money

16 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

You may be, every City fan I know in Somerset is fuming. 

We have possibly the highest paid Rugby coach in the World coaching the Bristol Bears, the highest paid player in the World also plays for the Bears, whereas when it comes to football coaches we always take the cheap option.

The priority for Bristol Sport/ SL  is clearly, overwhelmingly,now Rugby. 

Lumsden, Gorman, Fawthorpe, Tinnion, Osman, Millen, and now Holden, all number 2’s that have been given the managers job at City, all the previous ones failed miserably. What is it with this club, why do we do this to ourselves. I used to feel this was my football club, and that the board were acting in mine, and all the other supporters interests, it now feels like it’s one persons play thing. 

Top post and nail firmly hit on the head. SL will do what he likes because he can, hes not going to get out voted on anything because they are all in his pocket. Us .....we matter not as the present manager appointment saga shows.

So like it or lump, his mark is made in steel and concrete...forever.

On 08/08/2020 at 10:28, ashton_fan said:

So would you rather have a foreign owner who will asset-strip the club into bankruptcy as has happened to several other clubs in the Championship? As with the campaign to get LJ out changes don't always result in the situation improving and it can get much worse. The Lansdowns have pumped tens of millions into this club and are entitles to appoint who they want, they are responsible owners and we should be grateful, many clubs will go to the wall during COVID but BCFC won't.

Not just foreign either- plenty of dodgy/incompetent/catastrophic UK owners out there too!

On 08/08/2020 at 10:33, harvey54 said:

I pulled my season ticket after Lee Johnsons appointment. At a time when we had a squad capable of achieving something with a couple of additions we took the cheap option and started selling off our young talent

No pulling needed here but if we appoint Rachel Riley....... Well ?

See this is a fair point but you might contextualise it with some financial info and falling into line with this aspect too. Suppose we'd gone your route, maybe we would have been embargoed or worse! Interested to know how you would have done things differently from 2015/16 onwards.

7 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

Clearly you are not interested in the proof that you can survive this insult to your Bristol City relationship. I do not follow the rugby and I am not interested in it. Every case of change of manager should be looked at on its merits and judged accordingly. None of us have any idea what the criteria are or how the decision was arrived at. Of course imagination is a wonderful thing.

Yes, your imagination seems more colourful than most. 

6 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Yes, your imagination seems more colourful than most. 

The proof that you can get over your troubles with City lies in the fact that you survived Pulis! If you survived that you can survive anything. I wish you joy of the day!

1 minute ago, Bat Fastard said:

The proof that you can get over your troubles with City lies in the fact that you survived Pulis! If you survived that you can survive anything. I wish you joy of the day!

I survived Pulis, but not L Johnson, I haven’t watched City live for 2 years because of him. I haven’t missed it for one second either. 

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I survived Pulis, but not L Johnson, I haven’t watched City live for 2 years because of him. I haven’t missed it for one second either. 

Out of interest what would it take for you to start taking an interest again? Wait for us to win something?

4 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Positive fan of the year! 

Thank you, but not deserved. 

Ive made no secret of what I’ve said to you.

After 40 years of watching City he took all the pleasure away. 

Why do something you stop enjoying, and paying for it.

I still watch 2-3 sometimes 4 live games a week, 90% of them have been more enjoyable than LJ’s brand of rubbish.

2 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Thank you, but not deserved. 

Ive made no secret of what I’ve said to you.

After 40 years of watching City he took all the pleasure away. 

Why do something you stop enjoying, and paying for it.

I still watch 2-3 sometimes 4 live games a week, 90% of them have been more enjoyable than LJ’s brand of rubbish.

Each to his own. I am a Bristol City supporter and find that whenever I watch any other match it lacks excitement for me because I do not feel an emotional involvement.  I have an innate feeling of optimism about our club and always look forward. Pulis nearly did for me, but I survived him and, as I said before, if you can survive that you should be able to survive anything.  Managers come and go, players come and go - but I could never lose my love for Bristol City.

55 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

Each to his own. I am a Bristol City supporter and find that whenever I watch any other match it lacks excitement for me because I do not feel an emotional involvement.  I have an innate feeling of optimism about our club and always look forward. Pulis nearly did for me, but I survived him and, as I said before, if you can survive that you should be able to survive anything.  Managers come and go, players come and go - but I could never lose my love for Bristol City.

I’m not ‘blinded’ by Bristol City, I will watch (and have in the past coached)football at any level. 

It is a game to enjoy, if I don’t enjoy something I won’t continue doing it over some kind of misguided loyalty. 

Thats the reason people get angry over football, because they are watching something they are not enjoying. 

25 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m not ‘blinded’ by Bristol City, I will watch (and have in the past coached)football at any level. 

It is a game to enjoy, if I don’t enjoy something I won’t continue doing it over some kind of misguided loyalty. 

Thats the reason people get angry over football, because they are watching something they are not enjoying. 

You see I don't think my loyalty is misguided and I always love going to Ashton Gate and used to love following around all the away games. I am not a football fan though and only follow Bristol City. I used to have debenture tickets at Wembley and found watching England a trifle tedious. Anyway, each to his own.

2 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Similar to whwn Luke Williams took the job a teen Swindon (the cheap option) he was also a decent person but when things went wrong he wouldn't quit as he was on a five year contract with a young family to support and Power didn't want to pay the money

Look at Lyon. 7000 fans signed a petition saying ‘Not to Rudi Garcia’ 14th in the league when he took over , but by the time Ligue 1 was curtailed they were up to 7th and in the ‘final eight’ of the champions league having dispatched Juventus and the subsequent sacking of Mauricio Sarri.  Whoever the manager/Head Coach of our club is , we need to ignore any preconceptions and give them our full support.

3 minutes ago, E.G.Red said:

Look at Lyon. 7000 fans signed a petition saying ‘Not to Rudi Garcia’ 14th in the league when he took over , but by the time Ligue 1 was curtailed they were up to 7th and in the ‘final eight’ of the champions league having dispatched Juventus and the subsequent sacking of Mauricio Sarri.  Whoever the manager/Head Coach of our club is , we need to ignore any preconceptions and give them our full support.

I agree the fans need to get behind him and hopefully he will hit the ground running but if he struggles then it will be interesting to see what your chairman does 

My positive message to Holden:

Congratulations on the Head Coach role.

Unless you didn't actually get it in which case I hope you enjoy working with the new head coach.

Unless the new head coach replaces you, in which case commiserations and good luck with the job hunt.

On 08/08/2020 at 10:28, ashton_fan said:

So would you rather have a foreign owner who will asset-strip the club into bankruptcy as has happened to several other clubs in the Championship? As with the campaign to get LJ out changes don't always result in the situation improving and it can get much worse. The Lansdowns have pumped tens of millions into this club and are entitles to appoint who they want, they are responsible owners and we should be grateful, many clubs will go to the wall during COVID but BCFC won't.

the clubs that went up this year....all owned by FOREIGNERS arent they??? and yes Steve has invested millions much of which is in bricks and mortar and land assets is it not? and imo we are now part of something else something anyone in the future may find difficult to buy as BCFC

4 hours ago, MelksRed said:

Underwhelming cheap option.

By taking us to the next level did SL mean L1?

Mark my words.....if it's Holden.....we'll be in a relegation battle by Christmas.

Clueless idiots

I have marked your words. Thank you, for your words (what I have marked). Gonna be lonely, this Christmas (lonely and cold). 

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

the clubs that went up this year....all owned by FOREIGNERS arent they??? and yes Steve has invested millions much of which is in bricks and mortar and land assets is it not? and imo we are now part of something else something anyone in the future may find difficult to buy as BCFC

It has made it more difficult for someone else to buy as if they get the football club only they don't get the stadium, the main asset. However this could be seen as protecting the club from unscrupulous people who just want to asset-strip so only those genuinely interested in the football club would put up the money. It also protects the rugby club so that if BCFC is sold they still have somewhere to play so it should be seen as a positive thing.

5 hours ago, P'head Red said:

Out of interest what would it take for you to start taking an interest again? Wait for us to win something?

Haha, are you serious, I’ve been going for 45 years mate, watched us go from 1st division to bottom of the fourth, travelled all over the country, good times, bad times, big defeats, good wins, you name it I’ve done it. 

Nothing to do with winning something, if I felt that way I would have given up in 1975! and travelled up to Liverpool!.

LJ in my eyes was an arrogant manager, who got his teams to play negative shite football, he should never have got the job in the first place imo,  still paying to watch his team play was something I decided I could not do, I now have zero regrets because I’ve found non league football and enjoy it immensely. If City were to employ a manager who sent the team out to “play”, then I’m sure I would once again want to watch us...time will tell. 

23 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

We have possibly the highest paid Rugby coach in the World coaching the Bristol Bears, the highest paid player in the World also plays for the Bears, whereas when it comes to football coaches we always take the cheap option.

Lumsden, Gorman, Fawthorpe, Tinnion, Osman, Millen, and now Holden, all number 2’s that have been given the managers job at City, all the previous ones failed miserably. What is it with this club, why do we do this to ourselves. I used to feel this was my football club, and that the board were acting in mine, and all the other supporters interests, it now feels like it’s one persons play thing. 

I agree with most of this PB - good post - but I don’t think Gorman was ever given the manager’s job at Ashton Gate?

23 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

The rugby analogy is fairly misleading IMO.

3 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

The rugby analogy is fairly misleading IMO.

Do you not feel that the football manager should realistically be payed the same or more than the rugby manager?  Pat Lam is reported to be on £800k, whereas LJ was reported to be on 500k. Bristol Bears made Charles Piutau the highest paid rugby player in the World, and that was when they were in the Championship! 

Surely the football side of BS brings in a sizeable amount more than the rugby. 

11 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Do you not feel that the football manager should realistically be payed the same or more than the rugby manager?  Pat Lam is reported to be on £800k, whereas LJ was reported to be on 500k. Bristol Bears made Charles Piutau the highest paid rugby player in the World, and that was when they were in the Championship! 

Surely the football side of BS brings in a sizeable amount more than the rugby. 

I know little about Rugby financial models but although turnover of Bears is lower than City, so are costs....significantly different.

Re the bit in bold, it’s probably fair to say Bears lose less than City.

Away from the financials, Bears are a top-flight rugby side, and although have been out of the top flight a lot recently, they are probably a big fish with a big rugby history.  City aren’t / haven’t.

Ultimately I don’t think you recruit the footballing equivalent of Pat Lam to Bristol City.  Pat Lam might go to Leeds or West Brom in a parallel sporting universe.

Archived