IGNORED

positive message for dean holden lets all pull together

big dosser

20 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

Do you not feel that the football manager should realistically be payed the same or more than the rugby manager?  Pat Lam is reported to be on £800k, whereas LJ was reported to be on 500k. Bristol Bears made Charles Piutau the highest paid rugby player in the World, and that was when they were in the Championship! 

Surely the football side of BS brings in a sizeable amount more than the rugby. 

That's a fair point. £800k certainly isn't excessive for a Championship football manager- indeed it is perhaps light. The costs and scale of rugby are so different though that the Piutau comparison, well it's a division with a salary cap of £7.6m in total 

Yes agreed- it does- it also loses a lot more, £51m in operating losses over 2017/18 and 2018/19- but yeah the manager could be paid more to attract a higher calibre of manager certainly.

Covid has perhaps changed things? Lam may not have been on £800k in Covid times- don't think there are easy answers.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I know little about Rugby financial models but although turnover of Bears is lower than City, so are costs....significantly different.

Re the bit in bold, it’s probably fair to say Bears lose less than City.

Away from the financials, Bears are a top-flight rugby side, and although have been out of the top flight a lot recently, they are probably a big fish with a big rugby history.  City aren’t / haven’t.

Ultimately I don’t think you recruit the footballing equivalent of Pat Lam to Bristol City.  Pat Lam might go to Leeds or West Brom in a parallel sporting universe.

I totally get what your saying Dave, but ultimately we are never ever going to get City to the next level if we are not willing to pay a good manager the going rate. A good proven manager attracts the players ( like Pat Lam has) and that’s how a club gets the ball rolling in the direction it wants to go.

SL wants Premier League football, paying the going rate would help him get there, the money he and the club would get rewarded would certainly be worth the extra cost now. 

9 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I totally get what your saying Dave, but ultimately we are never ever going to get City to the next level if we are not willing to pay a good manager the going rate. A good proven manager attracts the players ( like Pat Lam has) and that’s how a club gets the ball rolling in the direction it wants to go.

SL wants Premier League football, paying the going rate would help him get there, the money he and the club would get rewarded would certainly be worth the extra cost now. 

There’s definitely an argument that says - appoint the best manager and he’ll make the players good enough, and you could read that as pay for the manager and you’ll save costs because you won’t need to buy players.  I don’t know how true that is?

Football seems far less guaranteed that rugby.  But I’m really not a rugby fan.  I’ll casually look out for the Bears results, and I’ll watch England on tv, but that the extent of it.

11 minutes ago, BCFCGav said:

Best of luck Dean. Remember, he applied for a big job and got it and has done bugger all wrong, now let’s back him to the hilt as our new gaffer. Let’s give him at least one thread of genuine support. COYR. CTID. Smash it Dean.

Agree. He has my full support. Quite liked what he said in the interview with Twentyman actually. Feels that 3-5-2 suits our players, and we should focus on our way of playing rather that continually changing depending on the opposition. How we played v Boro when he was caretaker is what he is looking for 

Look on the bright side, due to COVID it’s highly unlikely we will be able to visit AG anytime soon, in the meantime let matters run their course - terrible run / under perform, we were right, if it goes well fair enough.

What will be more interesting will be how many ST holders accept City TV options as an alternative this time around, I speak for six of us and can confirm we would prefer a total ST refund please!

Feeling totally disillusioned right now but, no problem, I’m well used to it..!

I have been bored shitless these past two seasons watching City. So I genuinely believe the football cannot get any worse.

So, good luck to Dean and his 3-5-2 formation, which I believe he will play.

If I enjoy watching the football I really couldn't care less who is in charge. He and the team will have my backing. 

I know some will say he was part of the LJ problem, but I'm hoping he will know where LJ went wrong and avoid those same mistakes. 

Only time will tell and I am giving him a chance to prove himself. Best of British to you Dean.

Good luck to Holden. From all accounts, he is a well liked and respected and I would love him to succeed.

I have lost a lot of respect and trust in the board and senior management in recent weeks and these things will take time to heal, even if Holden proves to be the right decision, but I want to trust DH wants what is best for the club and will do all he can to succeed. I am angry but none of that is Holden’s fault and I hope he proves us all wrong.

Having listened to his interview on radio Bristol it’s clear he is his own man with his own ideas.  When questioned about being Lee’s assistant he very cleverly said he would carry out the managers instructions but quickly made it clear he had his own ideas.

Mark Ashton also confirmed he told the board what was wrong and where it needed correcting and it was also his decision to bin Jamie and Korey.

He seems very passionate and I believe will give no BS unlike Lee so although disappointed it was not CH I wish Dean the best of luck and will get behind him.  

let’s now give the new management team a chance.

I wasn't happy with the appointment but am impressed with what I have heard from DH, there is a clear difference to LJ and it seems we will go at teams rather that last season worrying too much about countering the opposition and confusing the team by playing them out of position.

It will be interesting to see his starting 11 and who the bring in.

So positive message for DH is prove the doubters wrong and sort out our crap home form.

I believe dean has a good squad to work with,i do think we still need a general/captain in the midfield, yes very hard to find but I think a leader on the pitch is the only thing we lack,we have some good young players who will only get better as long as the manger gives them that belief.i think lee held the players back and now its time for them to excel and get back to the attacking football we all want to see under dean given the chance. 

Archived