IGNORED

Maybe it's Williams?

Mr Yoda

Holden with someone of serious pedigree as an assistant manager or DoF would be much more palatable.

I actually really liked the idea of Big Sam as DoF. I’d feel much more faith in this appointment if they bring in some serious pedigree and experience to help him out.

If he’s left to fend for himself with Ashley Williams and some other inexperienced coaches then it could be a tough old season.

5 minutes ago, ReggyRed said:

If Williams is involved at all I will be even more disillusioned than I am now.

Why? Premier league experience, international, the player Holden turned to when first appointed caretaker coach to help with the coaching.

You must have sound reasons for posting this, so please tell what is wrong with the idea?

4 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

Why? Premier league experience, international, the player Holden turned to when first appointed caretaker coach to help with the coaching.

You must have sound reasons for posting this, so please tell what is wrong with the idea?

An inexperienced manager with an inexperienced assistant. I’m sure that will go very well

i am in favour of williams being involved with the coaching. my problem is Dean is far to inexperienced to be the manager. The championship is one tough division its not a place to learn your trade. if it is Dean give him a top notch no 2. I believe Dean should learn his trade in league one and two. surely Mark Ashton knows this. 

51 minutes ago, Mr Yoda said:

Just a thought but maybe Williams will be the main man as a player coach with Holden as his #2. Could explain Macca going?

What part of Holden being offered the role of “head coach” do you not get?

If Williams stays it would either be as a player, or with some coaching position as well.

He isn’t in the running to take over.

15 minutes ago, GrahamC said:

What part of Holden being offered the role of “head coach” do you not get?

If Williams stays it would either be as a player, or with some coaching position as well.

He isn’t in the running to take over.

Frankly, I do not want to see Williams involved with our club ever again.  Played for a contract, was never the same after he got it and badly let us down on the pitch on at least 2 occasions.

1 hour ago, Galley is our king said:

Because now was the time to appoint a coaching team with a track record, and coaching staff who had experience 

Not someone because “they have premier league experience”

Why does Lansdown and co continuously wish to appoint novices 

45 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

We really need someone experienced to support Holden. 

Williams recently hit someone in a game he shouldn't play for us again let alone be a coach. 

From what I hear from a mate at Everton about him this would be a really bad decision. 

And from what I hear, he’s been excellent at Failand, with the younger element of the 1st team squad and the Academy too.

The red cards were shit.  But if Deano trusts him and I’m sure he wants someone from outside the SL / ex-City “circle of trust” then it makes sense.  Before Macca was sacked I wondered if getting Williams in was to ensure he had someone of his choosing....obviously not such an issue now!!

2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

i am in favour of williams being involved with the coaching. my problem is Dean is far to inexperienced to be the manager. The championship is one tough division its not a place to learn your trade. if it is Dean give him a top notch no 2. I believe Dean should learn his trade in league one and two. surely Mark Ashton knows this. 

Maybe we’ll send DH out on loan . 

1 hour ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Frankly, I do not want to see Williams involved with our club ever again.  Played for a contract, was never the same after he got it and badly let us down on the pitch on at least 2 occasions.

And he pitched in with numerous last second blocks and goal saving headers! 

I agree the sendings off were poor but Baker has also got that in him.

Give the poor bugger a chance for crying out loud!

3 hours ago, Mr Yoda said:

Just a thought but maybe Williams will be the main man as a player coach with Holden as his #2. Could explain Macca going?

Surely Holden would be number 1 with Williams number 2, if that were to happen. 

Williams would make Holden look experienced in management..! 

2 hours ago, ReggyRed said:

An inexperienced manager with an inexperienced assistant. I’m sure that will go very well

I think it comes down to the question of whether there is a plan for one assistant or two. I'm not sold on Holden taking over as manager but, if he does, I'd have no problem with a team of one promising coach who is liked by the squad and one experienced coach being the two assistants. I'd agree Holden and Williams alone would lack experience and be a gamble, to say the least. 

9 minutes ago, Galley is our king said:

And he pitched in with numerous last second blocks and goal saving headers! 

I agree the sendings off were poor but Baker has also got that in him.

Give the poor bugger a chance for crying out loud!

I think the thing for me with the red cards and rushes of blood to the head is how well he can reflect on those things and pass on learning. I think it can sometimes be useful to have someone in the management team with experience of making silly mistakes, as long as they understand what triggered those mistakes and can use that to advise others on how to avoid doing the same. 

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think it comes down to the question of whether there is a plan for one assistant or two. I'm not sold on Holden taking over as manager but, if he does, I'd have no problem with a team of one promising coach who is liked by the squad and one experienced coach being the two assistants. I'd agree Holden and Williams alone would lack experience and be a gamble, to say the least. 

I think the thing for me with the red cards and rushes of blood to the head is how well he can reflect on those things and pass on learning. I think it can sometimes be useful to have someone in the management team with experience of making silly mistakes, as long as they understand what triggered those mistakes and can use that to advise others on how to avoid doing the same. 

Or maybe just a case of once an idiot, always an idiot.

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Holden with someone of serious pedigree as an assistant manager or DoF would be much more palatable.

I actually really liked the idea of Big Sam as DoF. I’d feel much more faith in this appointment if they bring in some serious pedigree and experience to help him out.

If he’s left to fend for himself with Ashley Williams and some other inexperienced coaches then it could be a tough old season.

I don’t get the idea of bringing in someone experienced as DoF. Surely just make them the Head Coach, with Dean Holden helping them out

5 hours ago, Major Isewater said:

Maybe we’ll send DH out on loan . 

Brilliant Major, how many players do we sign thinking they're for our first team who end up playing years on loan for other clubs before making our first team if thry do at all. Maybe this is a revolutionary new step, signing potential  managers to be our manager but then sending them out on loan to manage at lower division level. That way we can have about twenty managers and just recall the one who is showing the most promise at any particular moment to replace the current manager who then goes out on loan to regain confidence after some poor results. 

4 minutes ago, BetterRedthenBlue said:

Williams doesn't have the coaching badges so wouldn't be allowed as permanent manager. 

I'd give him a job with the academy but not with the first team. 

Not strictly true, he could take over and he'd be given 12 months to get his badges,

I think that's what Southgate did at Middlesborough 

10 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Nonsense.  He had one or two bad days, but more often he’s been a rock in our defence.  Even our best players have probably let us down on at least two occasions.

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

And from what I hear, he’s been excellent at Failand, with the younger element of the 1st team squad and the Academy too.

The red cards were shit.  But if Deano trusts him and I’m sure he wants someone from outside the SL / ex-City “circle of trust” then it makes sense.  Before Macca was sacked I wondered if getting Williams in was to ensure he had someone of his choosing....obviously not such an issue now!!

I'm pretty sure i've read somewhere that Williams doesn't have any coaching qualifications yet (was looking to do them).

I don't think you're allowed to manage/coach without them.

Certainly i've had to do my level 1, and 2 in order to coach junior football.

Archived