IGNORED

FC United of Manchester.

Southport Red

FC of United of Manchester have around 2000 co-owners - the number has fallen significantly from the peak.

The owners costs of being in National League North are probably around £500,000 a year.

If they get promoted I wonder how many co-owners will disappear when faced with a bill for £2,500 each?

Owning a football club is an expensive business at all levels :)

7 minutes ago, Hxj said:

FC of United of Manchester have around 2000 co-owners - the number has fallen significantly from the peak.

The owners costs of being in National League North are probably around £500,000 a year.

If they get promoted I wonder how many co-owners will disappear when faced with a bill for £2,500 each?

Bristol City 1982 had over 2,000 shareholders with small amounts that were freely and willingly handed over to save the club that we all wanted to survive.

Many went to the annual shareholders AGM and by doing so, we really felt part of the club.

Now, even though we have a local businessman as the owner, I feel remote from the club. Just a number.

I get that people are pissed off over the way that the club have gone about things and the appointment, but FC United was formed because some American businessman bought a highly profitable, previously family owned football club by saddling said club with hundreds of millions £££ and then preceded to take profit out of the club. I've honestly never heard such hyperbolic nonsense than "the new manager is shit so we should start a new club"

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Right, this is the last time I’m saying this. I said for the first time I understand their motivation. The circumstances are entirely different but when the leadership allows disconnects with supporters it is never good. 

That is all. I am not throwing anything out of anywhere and as to another poster’s comment about ‘bailing’ on the club, they have certainly lost some of their hold on me recently. Home games are a 600 mile round trip for me, you really need to feel a connection to do that, right now I don’t feel it. 

I’m sure this will trigger a pile of “if you don’t like it **** off” posts, but, last time I looked this was a forum, your not liking my comments doesn’t make them invalid. 

Your original post is literally you praising the 'if you don't like it, **** off' attitude.

You are right that this is a forum of opinions and you are entitled to yours, but mine is that I think it's silly to compare what the Glazers have done and what the Lansdowns have done. All this on the back of what you perceive as a bad hire. (Who might not even turn out to be a bad hire). Come on.

1 hour ago, Hxj said:

Yeah, they’ve been hit hard by the fame’ of Salford City. 

4 hours ago, Southport Red said:

Saw a mate of mine recently who is one of the 4 friends that founded FC United. They were all lifelong Man U season ticket holders, who were disgusted at what the Glaziers were doing to the blue they loved. 

The four of them were out for a pint and, after two pints it was “I’m not going again while the Glaziers are in charge”. After 6 pints it was “we should start our own supporter owned team. Two more pints and they had a business plan scrawled across several beermats. Now they have a lovely ground and are only a couple of promotions away from the football league. They have lost some supporters when Salford City got trendy, but still doing very well with 10,000+ Owners. 

If I lived Bristol right now...

It is sad and I agree with your sentiment. I have visited the guys at FC United and watched their games and spoken at length to them and I admire their guts and determination. The position at City is that it did feel like our club during past and it was a great feeling, but sadly for many of us not any longer. The disconnection with the fans has been allowed to happen by the Owner. It this way or none at all. My own feeling of disenchantment started some years ago when it became more evident to me of the reality of what we have at Ashton Gate, which is one mans business interest and the fans are now treated purely as the customers.  

I had thought about forming a new club many times and FC City of Bristol sounds about spot on. I for one would get involved. 

2 hours ago, Southport Red said:

They were all lifelong Man U season ticket holders, who were disgusted at what the Glaziers were doing to the blue they loved. 

...“I’m not going again while the Glaziers are in charge”.

Whilst I wish FC Manchester & Community clubs well, I can't help but question why your friend, many Manure fans, Newcastle fans throughout &, of late, many City supporters hold such duplicitous standards?

By all means dislike the Glaziers for their undisguised, commercial focus. Yet for years your friend & his mates proactively advocated support for a club whose success was predominantly founded on the commercial nous & ill-gotten profits of a corrupt meat merchant. An owner & Chairman who, for decades,  supplied sub-standard, replacement, overpriced, non-competed & (often) condemned meat to schools, hospitals & care homes throughout the North West. A Chairman who turned cash & the 'brown envelope' into an art form. A Chairman who corrupted not only officials throughout Greater Manchester but essentially the whole Football League. A Chairman who illegally bought players & success under the 60s/70s wokedom guise of 'Munich'. Who exploited that tragedy for his own purpose such nobody would openly question his club & its dealings. Whose own death (timely or untimely depending upon which side you support) saw legal action curtailed & allowed both myth & corruption to continue through his son &, latterly, their most successful manager.  If you hate the Glaziers yet worship the Edwards one must ask, why?

Most Mancs & all sky blue fans know the truth (hence why the latter often use the term 'Munich' as an acronym.) It's also amazing how, for whatever reason, certain public personas are maintained when they hold little relation to fact or truth? Cancel culture is nothing new. I've heard many substantiated tales of loathesome acts & behaviours, none of which the purveyors would ever openly repeat for fear of being banished to the hinterlands. In private they waste not one second in trashing the demi god. Purveyors who weren't on the periphery, rather at the heart of the action.

So for those who claim Lansdown has 'removed ownership' of the club from us fans (in my case technically  he did, but only in respect of the equivalent of half of Engvald's left small toenail clippings,) all bar a handful of us have ever owned **** all of the club. We invest 100% emotionally, we invest comparatively sod all financially. Be careful for that you wish.

3 hours ago, cidered abroad said:

Bristol City 1982 had over 2,000 shareholders with small amounts that were freely and willingly handed over to save the club that we all wanted to survive.

Many went to the annual shareholders AGM and by doing so, we really felt part of the club.

Now, even though we have a local businessman as the owner, I feel remote from the club. Just a number.

Still got my share certificate on the wall. Didn't want to give it up to Pula a while ago.

Used to love those AGMs. As you said, used to feel a real part of the club.

6 hours ago, JBFC II said:

This is from their club website stating why they started a new club:

’The club set up in protest to Malcolm Glazer's takeover of Manchester United' is a statement often used to describe FC United. But while there is no doubt that FC would not have happened without the American invasion, it was the catalyst, the final straw, but not the sole reason.

The material theft of a Manchester institution, forcibly taken from the people of Manchester, was the tip of a pyramid of destruction, with changing kick off times for the benefit of television, soulless all-seater stadia full of 'new' supporters intent to sit back and watch rather than partake in the occasion, heavy handed stewarding and ridiculously priced tickets propping it all up.’

Let’s be honest, none of that is similar to what we’re facing. So much like the earlier thread about protests, it’s a ridiculous overreaction to an appointment, that although it may not be popular, certainly isn’t a reason for throwing toys out of the pram

Well it sounds pretty familiar to me.

15 hours ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That's the bit I don't understand as your location is perfect, a billionaire owner, big fanbase yet there's still something holding you back when you should be competing with the Southamptons on and off the pitch 

Bristol City's geography means it is with respect to others the largest club in the South West. Yet Exeter City for instance have a wider coaching base across Somerset. The something holding the club back in becoming the South Wests Southampton off the pitch is Steve Lansdown. His Bristol Sport is parochial, it is not as some nonsensically suggest influenced by European sporting models.

22 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

Bristol City's geography means it is with respect to others the largest club in the South West. Yet Exeter City for instance have a wider coaching base across Somerset. The something holding the club back in becoming the South Wests Southampton off the pitch is Steve Lansdown. His Bristol Sport is parochial, it is not as some nonsensically suggest influenced by European sporting models.

That makes sense what you are saying and yes you are by far the biggest club in the South West. Where you should have the edge of the likes of Exeter & Plymouth is location as many would see those two clubs just too far away. It seems that Bristol Rugby is his priority and it would be interesting to see how the two clubs compare with revenue generated 

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

That makes sense what you are saying and yes you are by far the biggest club in the South West. Where you should have the edge of the likes of Exeter & Plymouth is location as many would see those two clubs just too far away. It seems that Bristol Rugby is his priority and it would be interesting to see how the two clubs compare with revenue generated 

I answered a point about training facilities. It is a wider point about intent. If Mr Lansdown wanted he could mirror Southampton off the pitch. The money the club lost would have paid for top class facilities. With the five pillars Mr Lansdown for a period seemed to be focussing on developing players being a fundamental part of the FC. The player pathway has faltered, its player development has become vaguer, its coaching network at youth and grass roots level was scaled back. 

Rugby? Finances. I do not know but does it have an affect? Of course it has. The club (that is Mr Lansdown) changed direction yet again with the inception of Bristol Sport. A parochial entity that looks inwards rather than out.

Mr Lansdown could have pursued a path of Bristol City a regional football team that plays its football in the City of Bristol. He could have chosen a ahem more modest Barcelona like sporting model with the football team at its apex and leading its identity. He chose Bristol Sport instead. 

57 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

I answered a point about training facilities. It is a wider point about intent. If Mr Lansdown wanted he could mirror Southampton off the pitch. The money the club lost would have paid for top class facilities. With the five pillars Mr Lansdown for a period seemed to be focussing on developing players being a fundamental part of the FC. The player pathway has faltered, its player development has become vaguer, its coaching network at youth and grass roots level was scaled back. 

Rugby? Finances. I do not know but does it have an affect? Of course it has. The club (that is Mr Lansdown) changed direction yet again with the inception of Bristol Sport. A parochial entity that looks inwards rather than out.

Mr Lansdown could have pursued a path of Bristol City a regional football team that plays its football in the City of Bristol. He could have chosen a ahem more modest Barcelona like sporting model with the football team at its apex and leading its identity. He chose Bristol Sport instead. 

Good points you make about Mr Lansowns priorities and even watching Points West last week it was all about Bristol Rugby and hownmuch they've invested on the new training facilities, world class manager and top players etc and no mention of BCFC. 

Compairing Swindon with Bristol City it's clear to all you we're miles apart from wealthy owner, assets, bigger fan base etc but apart from you holding a higher league position overall since both clubs were formed in the 1879 & 1890's  you haven't achieved anymore which beggars belief 

Archived