IGNORED

Paul Simpson

Drink_Up_Thee_Cider

9 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Yes, if it’s one that bridges the gap between head-coach and board in regards to both recruitment and trading....it will be a damn sight cheaper.  I was hoping that Tinnion could be that person.

Now that is an idea: Tinnion as DoF - it would be a popular choice with most fans & keeps us on the path of developing from the Academy. 

21 minutes ago, Sweeneys Penalties said:

was also at The Baseball Ground that day....what a way to celebrate your birthday!!! 

astonishing game, the sort of match you get on the playstation :D unbelievable twists and turns, still gives me goosebumps. and what a brilliant atmosphere generated by us as well!! 

4 hours ago, Abraham Romanovich said:

Exciting = causing great enthusiasm and eagerness.

Spot on .

Haven't a clue who it will be but i would imagine someone with a far higher profile.

Although the precise expression was 'fairly exciting' which perhaps suggests slightly less high profile than we might ideally want. 

21 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Wouldn't he had been a better choice as the manager with Holden as his assistant?

Definitely not.

It's been a long time now since Simpson managed Preston, but he was a total disaster. Took a squad that had been in the Championship play-offs 2 seasons running under Billy Davies and turned us into relegation contenders. Fell out with/couldn't manage the senior pros.

He's clearly a good coach or assistant looking at the level he's worked at with England and under Steve McClaren in the Premier League but he's never a head coach or a manager at club level especially in the Championship.

Would be a good appointment as assistant though.

7 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Problem is does he have the skills to do that?

Apparently he does a great job as loans manager, but i imagine DOF requires a lot more.

It seems to me a big part of being DOF is choosing which players to bring into the club. Whilst Ashton would probably be left to the contract and transfer negotiations.

Can Tinnion do that really well? For me he would have to show he's superb at finding the right players if that is part of the role. It seems to differ from club to club, but my understanding is generally they do choose which players to sign. It's so important as otherwise we sign players not good enough or not the right fit for how the head coach wants to play.

If we do bring in a DOF then I would want a proven one. Or a proven head scout of another club. Someone who can find some gems in lower leagues or abroad for cheap. That would be so important, especially now we have to keep a tight budget.

Not saying Tinnion would not be great at that mind. He seems very good at making contacts in the game. That's one part of it I am sure.

Of course I guess none of us know the answer to that.

What I’ve proposed a lot over the past week is Tinnion as a bridge between head-coach and board.  I’ve been careful to focus the remit on recruitment, not cut across Mark Ashton’s CEO / Operational forte.

So I wouldn’t call it DoF, although you could call it what you like really.

Its an extension of his role handling whatever aspect of loans he has, e.g. welfare, analysis, opportunity identification etc...and taking that into all recruitment.  Ashton would still do the negotiations.  But what you get is common / consistent understanding of playing ethos, gaps and priorities.  You save the head-coach being too involved in working with the analysts.

When Macca was appointed it was specifically mentioned that it was to allow LJ more time to focus on recruitment.  I’m not convinced that really happened.

If you take someone like Dave Bowman who worked as McCartht’s Head of Recruitment, that’s the kind of role I see for Tinnion or someone like that.

1 minute ago, pnefcok said:

Definitely not.

It's been a long time now since Simpson managed Preston, but he was a total disaster. Took a squad that had been in the Championship play-offs 2 seasons running under Billy Davies and turned us into relegation contenders. Fell out with/couldn't manage the senior pros.

He's clearly a good coach or assistant looking at the level he's worked at with England and under Steve McClaren in the Premier League but he's never a head coach or a manager at club level especially in the Championship.

Would be a good appointment as assistant though.

Fair points you make as I had no idea of his time at Preston but seem to remember that he done OK at Carlisle and started well with you guys in his first season 

5 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Apologies- I thought the OP was about J Mac.

If you wish to discuss Holden you should start a new thread- I'm sure you'll have something new to say.

Exactly, MRR. Why don't we call it, "Now That's What I Call Holden"? All the greatest hits that you've already heard, played again, and again and again, over dozens of volumes, until your ears bleed. 

27 minutes ago, Shaun Taylor said:

Fair points you make as I had no idea of his time at Preston but seem to remember that he done OK at Carlisle and started well with you guys in his first season 

He started well, we were top of the league at one point, but spectactularly fell away in the last few games and didn't even make the play-offs. The more of his own stamp he was able to put on the team, the worse we got.

He carried on where Davies had left off initially. Billy had gone to Derby and it was us and Derby at the top. Billy said to the press that he had "two teams at the top of the league" and from there onwards Simpson seemed to try to change things, it got into his head.

As I said though as a no.2 or a 'coach' he's clearly a good option.

5 hours ago, Red Army 75 said:

Remember him scoring a hat trick against us when he played for derby. We won 4-3 on a Sunday afternoon. That’s all I really know about this bloke 

And how we won I’ll never know. 2-0 down and looking at heavy defeat. Then their keeper rugby tackles on of our players (Rennie?) and we somehow win scraping home with a late winner. Great game. 

5 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

He started well, we were top of the league at one point, but spectactularly fell away in the last few games and didn't even make the play-offs. The more of his own stamp he was able to put on the team, the worse we got.

He carried on where Davies had left off initially. Billy had gone to Derby and it was us and Derby at the top. Billy said to the press that he had "two teams at the top of the league" and from there onwards Simpson seemed to try to change things, it got into his head.

What happened to Billy Davies after he left Notts Forest as he's still only 56 and not heard his name for years 

1 hour ago, poland_exile said:

astonishing game, the sort of match you get on the playstation :D unbelievable twists and turns, still gives me goosebumps. and what a brilliant atmosphere generated by us as well!! 

Andy Comyn coming on as a second half sub for Derby to shore up their defence and scoring an own goal with his first touch of the ball.  Classic stuff!  And some fabulous commentary from Todger Malone, my favourite being “Hello, what’s this?” as he noticed Paul Simpson unmarked and about to complete his hat trick.

4 minutes ago, Alex_BCFC said:

And how we won I’ll never know. 2-0 down and looking at heavy defeat. Then their keeper rugby tackles on of our players (Rennie?) and we somehow win scraping home with a late winner. Great game. 

It was Shelts who was rugby tackled and Martin Scott put away the penalty.

15 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Sounds like the recently departed Lee Johnson.

By the way, I was at the Baseball Ground for that game.

I gave the lino a real pasting because of the disallowed Bent goal - not offside. Got home and watched the recording. Didn't go down well with wife as we only had one TV set!

Holden, Simpson and Williams, how has it come to this!!!  the board are  totally inept absolutely shameful! how they can justify that this set up will take us to the next level it beyond stupidity, as a season ticket holder for over 25 years  I’m in disbelief at how this has been handled especially when there where solid proven managers already available. it’s a mixture of emotions from anger, disbelief amusement, but manly anger at the missed opportunity!  

1 hour ago, Shaun Taylor said:

What happened to Billy Davies after he left Notts Forest as he's still only 56 and not heard his name for years 

Let's just say there were reports of various types of unethical behaviour that didn't do much for his chances of getting another job.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/sep/09/billy-davies-nottingham-forest-derby-county-no-job-smear-campaign

8 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I seem to remember GMG using the phrase 'quite exciting'. This makes sense to me as it definitely isn't 'very exciting' or even plain old 'exciting'. A current England team coach may be seen as 'quite' by some - probably not many though. 

Lots of fans seem to just want the name. An England coach is hardly a poor appointment but not a big name.

9 hours ago, The Horse With No Name said:

You said he wasnt on charge. Sorry, humour.

My apologies for jumping all over that, the problem is that I was born in Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch & quite often make spelling mistakes. 

Sorry, humour :thumbsup:, stay safe mate.

22 hours ago, Drink_Up_Thee_Cider said:

New to this forum, so be gentle!

Usual heard from a pal, who is an ex city player and friends with Jamie Mac, apparently JM has been given the boot because he has spoken out to MA about a number of MA's decisions during the last 5 weeks. In addition to this he also said that he's been told that Paul Simpson will be coming in as assistant to DH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Simpson_(footballer)

Don't shoot the messenger!

COYR's!

Fair play 

9 hours ago, RedNachos said:

Am I the only one who would prefer him getting the top job with Holden no.2.

Not saying he's my first choice or anything. Don't worry, I'm not as braindead as MA.

To be honest between the 3 of them I think they are going to make 1 manager if that makes sense. Dean will be the “head” coach but they’ll very much be an even team. 

23 hours ago, Drink_Up_Thee_Cider said:

New to this forum, so be gentle!

Usual heard from a pal, who is an ex city player and friends with Jamie Mac, apparently JM has been given the boot because he has spoken out to MA about a number of MA's decisions during the last 5 weeks. In addition to this he also said that he's been told that Paul Simpson will be coming in as assistant to DH.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Simpson_(footballer)

Don't shoot the messenger!

COYR's!

Good shout......and moral of the story, don't question Mark Ashton!

Must admit I'd heard this rumour on Friday (think it's Gary Owers who you are referring to as the ex-player) and have spent all weekend hoping it's not true, because it just adds further weight to the fact Holden is happening.

We've been down this exact route before of course with Steve Wigley and Keith Millen, which ended in spectacular failure. 

England's youth set-up tends to attract coaches that can't seem to cut it in league football. 

Fair play he won the u-20s WC, but then look at the squad he had. 

This doesn't soften the blow of what's about to come. 

Archived