IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

Korey Smith new deal close

Bristol City are close to agreeing a new deal with central midfielder Korey Smith. 

The senior Robins midfielder had been rumoured to have been on his way out at Ashton Gate, but talks are progressing between the club and player and there is confidence that a contract extension will soon be agreed.

Smith played well as the Robins lost just one of their final five games of the season under Dean Holden.

Red army,

if you have this info then you can confirm DH had notice on Friday afternoon of the clubs decision he was not going to be appointed head coach and that his visit to BS3 on return from his holiday was the clubs commitment to him along with a hefty bonus supporting the new manager if we should get promotion at the end of next season 

3 minutes ago, City oz said:

Red army,

if you have this info then you can confirm DH had notice on Friday afternoon of the clubs decision he was not going to be appointed head coach and that his visit to BS3 on return from his holiday was the clubs commitment to him along with a hefty bonus supporting the new manager if we should get promotion at the end of next season 

This is from the ever reliable Bristol post :fear:

Personally think we should be moving on from smith who would undoubtedly be on high wages compared to others at the club. Given we have some good young midfielders at the club, he would only block the pathway plus his wages could go to better use.

I hope this isn’t true, no doubting that Korey has been great for us over the years but with Walsh,Morrell,Massengo, Nagy alongside youngsters Bakinson and Morton plus city looking to bring in a new Defensive Midfielder. I don’t see the need to keep him on, I don’t believe he is the same player he has been over the years and as one of our higher earners, I think it’s time to move him on. No time for sentiment in these times.   

7 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Personally think we should be moving on from smith who would undoubtedly be on high wages compared to others at the club. Given we have some good young midfielders at the club, he would only block the pathway plus his wages could go to better use.

Normally I would agree....but considering the complete hash we are making of things off the field, we need all the leaders possible amongst the players 

I’d be giving him a new 1 year deal 

Wrong decision by the club. Great guy but nowhere near the standard. I know some people will point to a few games he played better but on the whole he's been below par for a long while. Need to save the wages if we're in this cost cutting environment.

Apathy is starting to take hold of me in regards to the club's decisions at the moment.

7 minutes ago, RedRoss said:

Wrong decision by the club. Great guy but nowhere near the standard. I know some people will point to a few games he played better but on the whole he's been below par for a long while. Need to save the wages if we're in this cost cutting environment.

Apathy is starting to take hold of me in regards to the club's decisions at the moment.

Could not agree more - not good enough if we are to progess

30 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Could not agree more - not good enough if we are to progess

Without adding too much negativity to this forum I'm genuinely concerned we might be in a dogfight at the bottom if this contract renewal is anything to go by.

I know some fans see him as a leader and he might well be behind the scenes but I usually just see Korey constantly pointing looking flustered.. usually pointing backwards. Then misplaces a pass or chases shadows most of the game. Give him his credit he played a couple of cross field passes of late but that's the only thing I can think of apart from being a 'busy bee' which he's well off even his peak League One performances.

This with he's going to block Morrell and Walsh's spots in the team I'm really struggling with this move. I wouldn't blame Walsh to move onto Coventry, they are looking like a much better prospect than us. Made some interesting transfers. Play good football. Got good characters in the team and positivity behind them.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

Without adding too much negatively to this forum I'm genuinely concerned we might be in a dogfight at the bottom

Perhaps that is what the board anticipate (which would be madness to carry on with DH appointment if that is the case) which is why Smith has now been offered a deal as he could be a “leader” not that i agree with it, as you say he loves a point and a moan.

Going by his instagram posts a few weeks back, it looked very likely that he would be leaving, add to the fact he missed the last couple of games. Very strange.

Archived