IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Watch Boro away game. Amazing performance. Your assessment of him is so wide of the mark. 

And yours is so massively over the mark. Your opinion on Smith from this season is defined on just Boro away? Have you seen any other games?

I don’t think anyone is disputing Korey has experience, is good to have around etc. We could do a lot worse than having him around still but SL said he wanted prem football ASAP? Do you honestly believe our midfield as it is, with Korey is capable of pushing for that?

is Korey good to have around? Maybe. But he’s not the Korey of old fella. 

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I must have imagined the Boro and Stoke performances where Korey was here, there and everywhere fighting for the ball, protecting the defence. 

Stopping Stoke on the counter at the end of the game as we pushed on for a winner. And I sat back calm, not even worried about them charging towards our box when I saw Korey was there to 'put out the fire' - as LJ used to say.

I doubt I could say the same about many other midfielders we have had in recent years, some of whom lack strength, aggression or mobility or can't read the game like Korey can.

Always wanting the ball, hardly ever losing it, and intelliegently giving it simple or switching play or keeping hold of it. Making the right decisions at the right time. A very intelligent player is Korey.

I said before I don't mind if we let him go if we improve on him. But who is there? He's basically a free transfer who is a very good championship midfielder. He can cover at right back very well too. LJ used to say jokingly he is a 10 million pound right back, 100k midfielder. Well to be fair when he has filled in at right back in Cardiff, Huddersfield and quite a few other games, he has been superb every time.

In fact if Morrell and Walsh look really good and we feel they should be in the side, or Massengo develops a lot, then I would rather have Korey over Hunt at right back. Only thing I would say Hunt is better at is probably crossing, but do we want floaty crosses if Fam is leaving anyway?

Delighted if the club are giving him a new deal. Bit confused by how some people see him as a player now.

Fight is one of his strong points but as age and injuries catch up with him there have been numerous occasions where he has been bullied, happening with a degree of regularity......

Apparently we want premier league football, we wont get it when our number 1 midfielder is Korey Smith.....especially post injuries.

A great servant, a top bloke and would have deserved a great send off.....but when the likes of Morsey and others are available....younger cheaper and better, then sentiment needs to be replaced with ruthlessness. 

44 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I think Korey has the one quality that every team needs (apart from his undoubted ability) and that is character.  The man is a winner and will set the tone for the younger lads. If you could bottle essence of Korey Smith, it would be very expensive - and all we have to do is extend.

And there it is. The day that hell froze over!

Id keep Korey in a heartbeat. Much sooner lose Nagy or Massengo for the here and now. 

1 year deal would make sense, IF we spend at all this summer to recruit then we have positions in greater need than another CM when we could keep Korey around for another season and recruit next summer with some more funds available. Sure we have Massengo/Walsh/Morrell/Nagy but having an experienced head alongside them isn't a bad thing especially in a 3 and Korey communicates the most.

A wise decision to put him on a year extension, people talking about Walsh, morell and massengo, who are good players and each deserve a chance. However it is important not to have a midfield of inexperienced heads, you need someone with experience in there to balance it out. As others have said, it's unlikely we'll spend much this season so Korey would fill this role as potentially our best option. 

19 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Watch Boro away game. Amazing performance. Your assessment of him is so wide of the mark. 

Obviously your a fan by the name. I can't recall his performance in that game specifically but I'll take your word for it. One game out of how many seasons of poor performances? I know he's had injuries but he's not been great for a while, saying he was one of our best players after the restart is hardly the best accolade.

We could replace with a free agent like Jack Colback and I'd be much happier. Get rid of Callum O'Dowda too for wages with Korey to cover that sort of signing. Too much dead wood in the team. We need quality over quantity to have any chance of sustaining our place in the league.

13 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

And yours is so massively over the mark. Your opinion on Smith from this season is defined on just Boro away? Have you seen any other games?

I don’t think anyone is disputing Korey has experience, is good to have around etc. We could do a lot worse than having him around still but SL said he wanted prem football ASAP? Do you honestly believe our midfield as it is, with Korey is capable of pushing for that?

is Korey good to have around? Maybe. But he’s not the Korey of old fella. 

I used one game as an example. 

Looks like he is off anyway.  Looking forward to the ‘Our midfield misses Korey’ thread by November.  

Sometimes it takes not having something to see what you had.  

I absolutely appreciate the respect for Smith and what he has achieved here. But we need to he ruthless and we need to progress, and as stated we will not get into the playoffs if he is our number 1 go to centre midfielder.

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Looks like he is off anyway.  Looking forward to the ‘Our midfield misses Korey’ thread by November.  

You'll get over it. In time.

2 minutes ago, Finley_Smith10 said:

Just shows how much the Bristol Post know

2 hours ago him close to agreeing a contract to him having to come out on Instagram and state that they’re not true and city haven’t offered him a deal

Gives me hope that he got the manager thing all wrong

Great player for us, but it probably is the right time to go, considering we've got Walsh, Morrell, HNM, Nagy all in that position. You can argue none of them are as good as Korey overall, but they all have potential to be as good or better IMO, and if you want them to progress; you have to play them.

55 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I think Korey has the one quality that every team needs (apart from his undoubted ability) and that is character.  The man is a winner and will set the tone for the younger lads. If you could bottle essence of Korey Smith, it would be very expensive - and all we have to do is extend.

I'd rather he has no character but was a better player.

May look ok for us a times but compared to the best midfielders in the Championship, he is average.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Always been confused by fans saying he is not a good passer. I am sat there watching him spray accurate passes out to the flanks. And most importantly making the right decisions when to pass it simple, keep hold of it a bit before giving it, going back or long etc etc. And I am always thinking why do fans say he can't pass the ball?

I have never thought his passing is that good when in attacking areas, and maybe that's what fans mean. But he's not really the type of player to do a fantastic Palmer like defence splitting pass. But that's not his game. If he had that as well then he'd probably have gone onto the next level.

His ability on the ball in front of the defence is what matters to me. And his ability off the ball to protect them. Something we have really pretty much every season he has been here when he's been missing.

I'd say he is pretty strong as well. He puts himself about and wins physical battles, even if he is short in height.

Injuries are still a worry. But I think it's worth taking a chance. Would rather we kept on Korey and let Nagy go if that's possible.

EDIT. Well doesn't matter now anyway! ?

One of things fans mean is a 50 yard pass from Korey our wide is normally floated and by the time it gets there the opposition are in shape. Compare that to Pack who used to drive the ball out wide so the player receiving it was in space.

That said he had a lot of good attributes as a DEFENSIVE midfield player. Quality passing was not one of them however, that was someone else’s job, just struggling to think who last season though?

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Trust me fella I love the bloke. I’ve met him personally and I can assure you he’s a class act.

There is no doubt any club will miss someone like Korey.

On the pitch though I think he has regressed. I agree with you that due to the current situation we won’t be splashing the cash but our midfield needs a rebuild. Something has to give.

He has been an amazing servant for us but what he adds on the pitch isn’t the same anymore.

3 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

I absolutely appreciate the respect for Smith and what he has achieved here. But we need to he ruthless and we need to progress, and as stated we will not get into the playoffs if he is our number 1 go to centre midfielder.

You'll get over it. In time.

Couldn't agree more. If we're missing Korey by November then we're in League One next year for sure. There are countless better options out there. Free agents, cheap or loans.

1 minute ago, RedRoss said:

Couldn't agree more. If we're missing Korey by November then we're in League One next year for sure. There are countless better options out there. Free agents, cheap or loans.

Yes, with nagy massengo Walsh and Morrell already here taking space there is no space for sentiment.

Archived