IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

1 minute ago, And Its Smith said:

Weirdly with Korey its not so clear to some. His work off the ball does go unnoticed. 

That is true, and I wouldn’t say he was “the best” in the league, but to say league one/bottom half champ standard is mind boggling. Would’ve loved to see him without the injuries, a player who influences, can play multiple roles and a model pro. Top man Korey. 

5 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

So wrong, where have we finished last three seasons whilst he was our captain? 12th, 8th and 11th. So not only do facts prove it, but it’s clear to see to anyone who has watched him play how key he is to us. 

He cant be that key because we have just released him. Either way, let's leave it there.

1 minute ago, Merrick's Marvels said:

"Fact checking"??? What's  that got to do with modern journalism! ?

Editors used to require 2 or more sources for a story - or at least those from quality newspapers did.

Mind you they still do. - one from Twitter and one from Facebook.

8 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If GMG had Korey's contact details (or Korey's agent, which I assume would be pretty accessable to the press) he could have easily fact checked this 'story' before it surfaced.

Perhaps the decision to pursue a new contract with KS was reversed suddenly on Friday, after McGregor had filed the story. You are at the mercy of the editor when they choose to run stuff, so by the time it was published what had been a plausible story was overtaken by events.

It's not unreasonable to think the club had been in talks with KS, but due to its apparently recent decision to run an austerity model Bristol City they felt they just couldn't afford his wage demands.

8 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

He cant be that key because we have just released him. Either way, let's leave it there.

That’s a weird opinion.  It’s fact he’s not good enough because two people employed by the club say so.  Guess that means all our opinions are invalid.  Those two people seem to think Holden is best man for the job which must mean that’s true as well.  

51 minutes ago, petehinton said:

That’s the point ?

Is it ? Maybe Korey didn't want it plastered all over the papers until something else was in place. Sure he doesn't need some knobhead at the BP publishing the exact opposite.

23 minutes ago, Sleepy1968 said:

If GMG had Korey's contact details (or Korey's agent, which I assume would be pretty accessable to the press) he could have easily fact checked this 'story' before it surfaced.

Yes I agree but why mess up a good shit stirring 

2 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

That’s a weird opinion.  It’s fact he’s not good enough because two people employed by the club say so.  Guess that means all our opinions are invalid.  Those two people seem to think Holden is best man for the job which must mean that’s true as well.  

It's all about opinions, my opinion is that Korey is not good enough if we want to challenge at the top end of the championship. I also think Holden is not good enough, but I respect other people's opinion. They are all valid. 

1 minute ago, City1970 said:

It's all about opinions, my opinion is that Korey is not good enough if we want to challenge at the top end of the championship. I also think Holden is not good enough, but I respect other people's opinion. They are all valid. 

Totally agree with this. An opinion is whether Korey is good enough for us to challenge at the top of the division in the future. However a fact is that he has played in, and been key to a team finishing in the top half multiple times. 

I think he may have run his course here as a star player, and wish him well. But the club has handled this and everything else this summer so poorly. 

I think what it does show is that there is no doubt whatsoever that Mark Ashton is very much in control of transfers in and out and contract renewals.

Dean Holden played Korey when he could and he is highly likely the incoming head coach appointment yet, a player he favoured in his selections isn't being retained.

A few fans wrote Korey off after his first nasty injury and he came back strongly after a run of games. I think he had a good couple of seasons in him despite his second bad injury and he has been a real strength within the squad.  A really good guy and one of those who adds more to the Club than just playing ability.  I'm sorry to see him move on especially with Adam Nagy unproven as yet and Massengo probably needing more time to develop. 

4 minutes ago, bcfcnick said:

I think what it does show is that there is no doubt whatsoever that Mark Ashton is very much in control of transfers in and out and contract renewals.

Dean Holden played Korey when he could and he is highly likely the incoming head coach appointment yet, a player he favoured in his selections isn't being retained.

A few fans wrote Korey off after his first nasty injury and he came back strongly after a run of games. I think he had a good couple of seasons in him despite his second bad injury and he has been a real strength within the squad.  A really good guy and one of those who adds more to the Club than just playing ability.  I'm sorry to see him move on especially with Adam Nagy unproven as yet and Massengo probably needing more time to develop. 

Although.....didn’t Chris Hughton let Korey go from Norwich?!

55 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

He wasn't, hence why he spent the majority of time with us in league 1 and the lower ends of the championship. There is a reason why top half sides have never been in for him, and that's because he isnt good enough.

Although he did play 28 times in 2010-11 when Norwich were promoted to the PL. 

On balance though I think it is probably the right decision to let him go - mainly because of his recent injury record, plus time for the younger midfielders in the squad to step up. 

1 minute ago, eardun said:

On balance though I think it is probably the right decision to let him go - mainly because of his recent injury record, plus time for the younger midfielders in the squad to step up. 

Agreed. Very difficult to say goodbye to someone who has been such a rock to the squad and often its best player, but age and injuries seem to be catching up and last season's Korey wasn't the force he had been.

He be a totally awesome player at L1 level, though I suspect he'll get offers from clubs in the Championship, based on his previous form.

12 minutes ago, eardun said:

Although.....didn’t Chris Hughton let Korey go from Norwich?!

Yes.

9 minutes ago, eardun said:

Under Paul Lambert.

Some say KS isn’t good enough for the  next season - those are opinions

But what is fact is that he’s been our captain, a key part of the L1 championship winning team & the crazy run we went on + a role model to all he’s played alongside.

Just look at the comments on his insta post to see the respect from all he’s played alongside & more, they posting photos and messages in their stories, almost brings a tear to the eye.

1 hour ago, Sleepy1968 said:

I was going to say the same exact thing. I would have thought GMG would have KS number. A quick call/text "off the record" would have saved us all. 

3 hours ago, petehinton said:

I’d say the ‘at this time’ line is just a ‘regretfully we cant offer you anything’ angle. The fact that he was totally left out the squad for the last day, Taylor Moore’s comments on RobinsTV etc suggest it seemed pretty obvious where it was all headed. The club trying to keep it up wraps and then announce it a few days after announcing a manager to try and soften the blow a bit maybe

I think the club are trying keep it under wraps is not to soften the blow. 
It’s because they don’t want it to be clearly seen who’s decision it is. 
I’ve been trying to inform people for 4 years that Ashton is in charge of incomings and outgoings. 
They obviously wanted to wait until a manager was announced and could then say that it was the new managers decision. 
It wouldn’t have been. It’s Ashton’s decision. 
He’s also, last week, got rid of another player who had 1 year left on his contract. To the disappointment and amazement of the player and other staff. Obviously they won’t announce it until a new manager is in place, and they can say it was his decision. 
It’s not. It’s Ashton’s decision. The player has already joined a new club - who are yet to announce it because they’re playing along with Ashton’s game as they are happy to continue a fruitful loan relationship. 
That tells you all you need to know about the comms at present. 
They want to wait until a new manager is in place so that they can say it was that new man’s decisions to release Smith, McAllister, and sell this other player. Rather than it becoming clear to everyone that there’s actually only 1 person in charge of it all. 

2 minutes ago, Harry said:

I’ve been trying to inform people for 4 years that Ashton is in charge of incomings and outgoings. 
They obviously wanted to wait until a manager was announced and could then say that it was the new managers decision. 
He’s also, last week, got rid of another player who had 1 year left on his contract. To the disappointment and amazement of the player and other staff. Obviously they won’t announce it until a new manager is in place, and they can say it was his decision. 
It’s not. It’s Ashton’s decision. The player has already joined a new club - who are yet to announce it because they’re playing along with Ashton’s game as they are happy to continue a fruitful loan relationship. 
They want to wait until a new manager is in place so that they can say it was that new man’s decisions to release Smith, McAllister, and sell this other player. Rather than it become clear to everyone that there’s actually only 1 person in charge of it all. 

Can you give a clue about the second player?

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

They want to wait until a new manager is in place so that they can say it was that new man’s decisions to release Smith, McAllister, and sell this other player. Rather than it become clear to everyone that there’s actually only 1 person in charge of it all. 

Bakinson?

Just now, Phileas Fogg said:

Can you give a clue about the second player?

It’s not Eliasson or Famara. Just to be clear. It’s an u23, who the coaching team thought could’ve had a decent shot at 1st team squad next season (not starter, but just an opportunity). But he’s now been moved on, 1 year left on contract so clearly a ‘transfer’ rather than a ‘freebie’. 

4 minutes ago, Harry said:

It’s not Eliasson or Famara. Just to be clear. It’s an u23, who the coaching team thought could’ve had a decent shot at 1st team squad next season (not starter, but just an opportunity). But he’s now been moved on, 1 year left on contract so clearly a ‘transfer’ rather than a ‘freebie’. 

Cam Pring I would hazard a guess at.

9 minutes ago, Harry said:

They want to wait until a new manager is in place so that they can say it was that new man’s decisions to release Smith, McAllister, and sell this other player. Rather than it becoming clear to everyone that there’s actually only 1 person in charge of it all. 

I believe we are referring to the same player?  I’m not gonna mention the name until it’s announced....

1 minute ago, View from the Dolman said:

Guessing that's Connor Lemonheigh-Evans who seems to have been suggesting on Instagram that he'll be back at Torquay.

....but neither Harry or me are referring to CLE.

One final thing.  If Korey (his agent) was trying to play a new club off against a fictional contract offer from City, that’s now blown.  Hope he gets a great deal wherever he goes because I think he’s not had the best deal here.

Archived