IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

There’s also another u23 player who’s had a falling out with Ashton. Had continual loans and wanted to be released to find a permanent club but Ashton wouldn’t allow it. 

There’s a poison at this club, and it wasn’t LJ, JMc or anyone else who’s been let go. 
It’s Ashton. Sadly he has gained SL’s trust to such an extent that SL can’t see it. 

The total lack of communication about players and staff leaving is purely down to his control. 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

It might be that Coventry winning the league meant the ball was up the other end a fair bit so he naturally was higher up the pitch.

yeah lazy post and thought process from me.  Just check his numbers too...think it is a case of him being at the base of possession, so I think you’re right.

But then I also know they liked to counter attack a lot too. So who knows. He always seemed to like to be taking it off the defence when he played for us.

On midfield, I find what fans say about Tommy Rowe interesting.

I don’t generally see much talk about Rowe as a midfielder, but in his younger days he was technically good, so I had no worries about him coming back to the Champ.  But he was mainly on the outside of a midfield than a true CM, e.g. LCM in a diamond, or LM in a narrow 4....not a winger as such.  So not a DM like people expect.

Fans generally say he's not a left back, but does as good as can be expected for someone who is not a left back.

That's fair. You know my opinion of Rowe at left back. I don't think he is of the required standard in that position for a top half championship side.

Yeah, I know your views, but we don’t have the resources to have both Jay Dasilva and Antonee Robinson (for example) eating budget but one of them on the bench each game.  So you need someone else, either a young player or someone versatile like Rowe.

But when it comes to talking about midfielders, I never see any fans talking about Rowe being a good option.

That is his position. He is a central midfielder.

See earlier comment, more left sided MF.

He didn't play very well away at Huddersfield in midfield. But looked decent from what I remember against Boro when moved there and O'Dowda went to full back in a diamond. O'Dowda took on his man and Rowe nodded it home for the equaliser.

I was very optimistic about him in midfield after that Derby friendly for 45 minutes before it was abandoned.

mmmm, some seeds sewn there about a back 5 (started Hunt / Kalas / Wright / Webster / Dasilva), and interestingly it was Rowe (and Szmodics) breaking forward not Brownhill....and yet Webster’s transfer saw us go back 4...which we did in other friendlies to be fair.

For me his strengths are in central areas of the pitch. The one thing he is good at when wide is his crossing. But I even think he looked far better in central defence in that one game when he switched there second half. Can't remember who against.
Reading I think

I still can't say how good a midfielder he is. I know he has had the odd minutes coming on to see out games in midfield, but hard to go on that.

He was mainly not getting in the Doncaster team. Herbie Kane was in front of him, so I guess that's a good enough reason. And he was still captain and played some games. And injuries did not help either.

He played a lot after Xmas, and was captain.

Interested to see if he still has a role to play as a midfielder with Korey gone.

in covid times I would just have him as Dasilva’s cover at LB/LWB.

Really good post Jon, comments above ⬆️⬆️⬆️

46 minutes ago, Harry said:

33 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I believe we are referring to the same player?  I’m not gonna mention the name until it’s announced....

I know something you don’t know, I know something you don’t know...

Cough it up or don’t post this “insider” stuff - otherwise you are making it sound like you just want to boost your rep

8 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

CM looks an incredibly weak position for us. Lot of pressure for young players to step up, in what is an incredibly difficult position to excel in this league. They all look really small and lightweight. 

Absolutely agree. It would be so fool hardy not recruit a solid CM to add some steel but I would almost put my mortgage on us not doing so. We’ll be having the same conversation come January where we will bring in someone on loan who’s not up to the task - like Henrikson for example 

1 minute ago, Eddie Notgetinya said:

Absolutely agree. It would be so fool hardy not recruit a solid CM to add some steel but I would almost put my mortgage on us not doing so. We’ll be having the same conversation come January where we will bring in someone on loan who’s not up to the task - like Henrikson for example 

We needed one before Korey left imho. Need two now.  

6 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

CM looks an incredibly weak position for us. Lot of pressure for young players to step up, in what is an incredibly difficult position to excel in this league. They all look really small and lightweight. 

Or maybe this is the position we are gonna strengthen

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Cough it up or don’t post this “insider” stuff - otherwise you are making it sound like you just want to boost your rep

Sorry Tony.  I tried to qualify my reasons for posting earlier.  1) I didn’t know how reliable the source was and 2) I only used it as an example as to why we might not need a manager in place to make decisions about outgoings, as has now proved with Smith.  It’s why I’ve not replied to a couple of people asking.

Its nice when I do get to hear things, but conversely it’s also a PITA if it’s not true....so I try and take everything I hear with a pinch of salt because I don’t know the true source.  We’ve all got a mate, who’s mates with someone who knows someone at City, haven’t we?

Whatever your opinion of Koreys playing abilities or current performance level , he is surely a massive loss in terms of his attitude , conduct and professionalism 

He is , in my opinion a shining example , on and off the pitch , and as I understand it , suport & help to all younger pros

Replacing a central midfielder may not be difficult , finding one with the same extra qualities , that are positive in so many ways,  wont be

Eleven pros like Korey Smith in your starting eleven and you have a large chance of success.

3 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Or maybe this is the position we are gonna strengthen

Sorry Tony.  I tried to qualify my reasons for posting earlier.  1) I didn’t know how reliable the source was and 2) I only used it as an example as to why we might not need a manager in place to make decisions about outgoings, as has now proved with Smith.  It’s why I’ve not replied to a couple of people asking.

Its nice when I do get to hear things, but conversely it’s also a PITA if it’s not true....so I try and take everything I hear with a pinch of salt because I don’t know the true source.  We’ve all got a mate, who’s mates with someone who knows someone at City, haven’t we?

Don't waste our time with half a story and a nudge nudge wink wink then

6 minutes ago, Henry said:

@Davefevs @Harry if you’re not going to name the player then why bother? You can’t being trying to protect a source as if he’s left, lots of people in and outside the club would know.

As it hasn't been announced by the club it would be unreasonable to reveal the name. It will become clear when Dean is told to say it was his decision.

Though it may be that kind of thing that is giving him pause for thought over the weekend.

13 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think evidence suggests (with no ITK status myself) that Harry and Dave are both referring to Cameron Pring. Fits the boxes of 1 year left on deal and potentially being around the first team if not moved on. If you go to the Transfer forum, you’ll see a story that Pring is on trial at Plymouth - who we have a great relationship with in respect of loans.

Joining some dots here but would make sense that he’s the player  

Gutted.What the ---- are city doing I do not know.getting rid of our best midfielder,employing Johnsons puppet as our new manager.and ******** Ashton still here making a right mess of this club we all love.Not very good start to pre season.Best of luck korey you will be missed.

1 hour ago, Harry said:

I think the club are trying keep it under wraps is not to soften the blow. 
It’s because they don’t want it to be clearly seen who’s decision it is. 
I’ve been trying to inform people for 4 years that Ashton is in charge of incomings and outgoings. 
They obviously wanted to wait until a manager was announced and could then say that it was the new managers decision. 
It wouldn’t have been. It’s Ashton’s decision. 
He’s also, last week, got rid of another player who had 1 year left on his contract. To the disappointment and amazement of the player and other staff. Obviously they won’t announce it until a new manager is in place, and they can say it was his decision. 
It’s not. It’s Ashton’s decision. The player has already joined a new club - who are yet to announce it because they’re playing along with Ashton’s game as they are happy to continue a fruitful loan relationship. 
That tells you all you need to know about the comms at present. 
They want to wait until a new manager is in place so that they can say it was that new man’s decisions to release Smith, McAllister, and sell this other player. Rather than it becoming clear to everyone that there’s actually only 1 person in charge of it all. 

This really is worrying and it  must be why we won’t appoint a Chris Hughton or paul cook. What self respecting manager would work under those conditions. 

14 minutes ago, chinapig said:

As it hasn't been announced by the club it would be unreasonable to reveal the name. It will become clear when Dean is told to say it was his decision.

Though it may be that kind of thing that is giving him pause for thought over the weekend.

Unreasonable? Might as well close down OTIB, social media and Bristol Post then!

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

This really is worrying and it  must be why we won’t appoint a Chris Hughton or paul cook. What self respecting manager would work under those conditions. 

I suspect that is indeed the case. It seems to me you don't have to be itk to see the power Ashton wields.

1 minute ago, chinapig said:

I suspect that is indeed the case. It seems to me you don't have to be itk to see the power Ashton wields.

After 45 years of actively following the club I and all of us love.I really feel like  It’s time to pull the plug. 
yes we got a nice stadium and training ground on the way , but at what cost. 

1 minute ago, Henry said:

Unreasonable? Might as well close down OTIB, social media and Bristol Post then!

Personally I like the fact that some posters show a bit of discretion. Not something you see on social media or the BP.

The wider point being made is that Ashton has almost unlimited power over the football operation. That should be of concern to fans and is likely to be of concern to prospective head coaches. Including Dean perhaps.

2 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

After 45 years of actively following the club I and all of us love.I really feel like  It’s time to pull the plug. 
yes we got a nice stadium and training ground on the way , but at what cost. 

It could be Mark Ashton’s last managerial appointment if it goes wrong.  No way Jon L will be framed for it.

7 minutes ago, Henry said:

Not at all. I’m not here to say ‘x player has left’, I’m here to say Ashton is in charge and that’s another example of such. 
I don’t want to say the players name as is not fair on him, his agent, his family, his new club etc. Just an example of Ashton’s power. 

Just now, Davefevs said:

It could be Mark Ashton’s last managerial appointment if it goes wrong.  No way Jon L will be framed for it.

Depends what Steve's priority is. Ashton has raised an awful lot of money, which takes precedence over what happens on the pitch imo. He may be safe if he continues to do so.

2 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Surely Lansdown can see some of the big mistakes made in recruitment over the last few years and pull Ashton up on it. Some of the analysis people get sacked for it. I’m guessing , is that how it works ? 

8 minutes ago, Harry said:

Not at all. I’m not here to say ‘x player has left’, I’m here to say Ashton is in charge and that’s another example of such. 
I don’t want to say the players name as is not fair on him, his agent, his family, his new club etc. Just an example of Ashton’s power. 

Fair play, particularly on the impact of the player and their family.

I seriously worry about relegation this season.

Archived