IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, P'head Red said:

Still feel we need a strong, physical player in there somewhere

Agree.  It’s either than or accept that there are some teams where your technical midfielders are gonna get bullied.  You’ve then got to trust your team to outplay them.  It won’t always happen.  Finding one will be a challenge.  It’s like we need to unearth one under the radar, say from France.

Not sure if you’ve listened to the Forever Bristol City Podcast, but as one of the few on here fairly comfortable with Holden getting the job, I prepared myself for some flak, and made lots of notes just in case.

For me under Holden we moved from being a counter-attacking team to one actually trying to keep the ball and build from the back.  Possession moved from 48:52 to 56:44.  That’s quite a significant shift.  We moved from passing of 360:402 to 440:281, so increasing our own passes and limiting the opposition.  That included Boro where passing from both teams was way down, to Swansea where we made circa 550 passes.  Our passing success rate went up from 78% to over 80%.

But it’s a small sample, but certainly told me DH wants to pass it.  I think that’s why he found a role for one of our best technical players Pato in midfield, because he believed he could receive it in tight spots and not give it away.

What let us down in the main was our play around the penalty area.  I won’t fault Wells for the runs he makes but he will need to improve his link-up play if we intend to use him in build-up.  On the flip side he showed us he can make runs and get chances.  Boro he had his shooting boots on, Preston he didn’t.  Diedhiou also showed much better combination play, that was a bonus.  Not sure if he’ll still be here though.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

If Nagy is a quality championship holding midfielder, which he has to become if he is good enough for us, then I think we should be okay. He has to show it.

Massengo was superb in the 352 at the start of the season.

Morrell and Walsh appear to be quality players who should suit that system. They played in a 2 at their clubs on loan.

Vyner is an option if needed. Not sure but maybe Rowe too.

But with the 4 we are talking about, I think 2 of those technical midfielders can work. With 3 behind them giving them extra protection and wing backs too.

We saw Massengo and Nagy perform so well against Luton. They were superb and it really helped having Weimann a bit deeper. Strange how LJ moved him back up top alongside Fam after that.

It's so much about who plays where to support the midfield. A 442 with attacking full backs and with 2 of Nagy, Massengo, Morrell or Walsh I'd say is way too much for whichever 2 we were to go with.

A nice compact 5212 I think gives them a bit of extra support in the extra defender. And with the floating midfielder dropping back too like Palmer likes to if it's him. 

If small midfield combinations don't work then we would not see examples of it working.

The key to Nagy imho is realising he’s a deep midfielder, not that he’s a defensive midfielder.  His sensing of danger is not at Smith level, but he can be key to building from deep.  That’s the conundrum.  He’s technically good, makes good angles, passes the ball with forward intent too.

My worry, if it does prove to be Holden in charge, is he continues with weimann and pato in those midfield roles as he probably felt they worked well. I didn’t like it at all. Felt like shoehorning players on for sale of it.

whatever happens, I just don’t want the path blocked this season for the players like Walsh, morrell, moore et al

Noticed Aliou Traore available does transfer or loan from Man Utd. Very highly rated holding midfielder. Suggestions he’s going to Caen in ligue 2.

isnt that the kind of midfielder everyone is suggesting we need? Strong, powerful holding midfielder.

8 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

My worry, if it does prove to be Holden in charge, is he continues with weimann and pato in those midfield roles as he probably felt they worked well. I didn’t like it at all. Felt like shoehorning players on for sale of it.

whatever happens, I just don’t want the path blocked this season for the players like Walsh, morrell, moore et al

Don’t get me wrong, defensively a midfield of Smith, Weimann and Paterson doesn’t look great, but generally we didn’t get exposed too badly in the 5 games.  And what we did get was end product....something our midfield has not given us other than Brownhill, who apart from this season underperformed in goals and assists for the role he was given.  In 5 games, Weimann got 4 assists, Paterson 2 goals and 1 assist.

I genuinely don’t think both will play in there next season.

The other positive for me was that if your players know the system, the expectations of the role in the system, then players have a chance of being able to perform in their non-standard position.  We saw this with Weimann especially, Pato too...but also Vyner, RCB, RWB, RB and DM.

44 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If you are in the know - and this includes you - don’t feed the frenzy that goes on on this forum unless you cough it all up. Don’t hint at something then back off. That’s what starts all the drama off

Say it or shut up. Fair enough surely? Otherwise you wind people up.

Someone's jealous....

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Don’t get me wrong, defensively a midfield of Smith, Weimann and Paterson doesn’t look great, but generally we didn’t get exposed too badly in the 5 games.  And what we did get was end product....something our midfield has not given us other than Brownhill, who apart from this season underperformed in goals and assists for the role he was given.  In 5 games, Weimann got 4 assists, Paterson 2 goals and 1 assist.

I genuinely don’t think both will play in there next season.

The other positive for me was that if your players know the system, the expectations of the role in the system, then players have a chance of being able to perform in their non-standard position.  We saw this with Weimann especially, Pato too...but also Vyner, RCB, RWB, RB and DM.

Given that Walsh and morrell naturally are cm’s they will be more suited vs weimann and pato in those position and formation.

what Walsh offers in addition is energy, ability to pass And dribble and a forward thinking brain.

morrell can offer similar to walsh if not a little more subdued but will also offer more defensively to support the holding midfielder as he is one that like to get stuck in and reads the game well.

8 minutes ago, BOSRed said:

Given that Walsh and morrell naturally are cm’s they will be more suited vs weimann and pato in those position and formation.

what Walsh offers in addition is energy, ability to pass And dribble and a forward thinking brain.

morrell can offer similar to walsh if not a little more subdued but will also offer more defensively to support the holding midfielder as he is one that like to get stuck in and reads the game well.

Yep, 100%.  Sticking plaster solution for the 5 games.  Think Paterson might still get lots of minutes in there, but Weimann will be asked to fight for his place as a striker.

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

If you are in the know - and this includes you - don’t feed the frenzy that goes on on this forum unless you cough it all up. Don’t hint at something then back off. That’s what starts all the drama off

Triple Tony completely misunderstanding the importance of trust and source anonymity. 

Anyone ever tell you a secret Triple Tone? 

You may not be, but there are plenty of folks on here who like the gossip, the little insider titbits. Including me. 
So if stuff comes my way which I find intriguing and that many people will want to hear, then I’ll share it if at all possible to do so, whilst protecting the sources. Otherwise they will become ex-sources. 

1 hour ago, TonyTonyTony said:

How about don't tell me and others what we can and cannot post on a forum, and instead you just ignore stuff that winds you up? 

That sounds like a win-win to me ?

It's probably the best for both parties that Korey moves on to make way for the younger players coming on but the way it's been handled doesn't sit comfortable with me, especially for a player that's been so important to our club in the last 6yrs.

Thank you Korey, what a blinding 6 years, we had a blast! Sad to see you go.

Always welcome back in BS3, regardless of the colour you're wearing, (not blue and white quarters though), a welcome akin to Albie's is the minimum you deserve.

The best of luck KS7. :clap::clap:

3 hours ago, BOSRed said:

One of the best typos I have seen in a while...

13 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Lisa Knights as Head of Comms continues to serve up a shit show and PR disaster. 

This would never have happened on @AdamB's watch.

And there it is.

Consider GMacG was told by LK that KS was staying.

Gmac posts this.

Ashton confirms to KS that he's been binned.

KS posts this.

Gmac apologies and said he was told KS had an extra year.

Lisa Knights now looks foolish and is publically embarrassed and internally diminished.

Almost like there was a bit of a power struggle going on with the CEO and LK eh?

It's a peeing contest, and LK has just had a golden shower courtesy of MA.

Gregor used as mouthpiece

Korey Smith treated with complete contempt  all for the sake of MA reminding LK where she sits in the scheme of things.

Ladies and Gentlemen - The BCFC shiteshow continues.

Mondays episode promises to be a doozy - live from Broadstairs if things are true.

This situation appears to have been handled so, so badly. He's our longest serving senior player. A double winner. Achieved legend status when he scored against Manchester United. How has it taken the player himself to announce that he's leaving?!

Far from happy with the club at the moment.

6 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

So a team that made the championship playoffs must disagree with those on here who thinks he's not any good.

I'm sure there were some extremists that thought he was rubbish, but the fact that Swansea want him (or any other Championship team) doesn't change my mind that getting rid was the right thing for us to do. 

Cardiff wanted Pack and I don't regret that either.

Archived