IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

Just now, Lew-T said:

Really hope not offering him a short term deal won’t come back to bite us. 

I also hope that Adam Nagy is not his replacement...

I'm guessing if we haven't got a replacement lined up to come in, Holden is planning to give Morrell the chance to make the position his own and felt re signing Korey would hold back his development. That's the only way letting him go makes sense to me.......

Just now, WirralRobin said:

I'm guessing if we haven't got a replacement lined up to come in, Holden is planning to give Morrell the chance to make the position his own and felt re signing Korey would hold back his development. That's the only way letting him go makes sense to me.......

I’d be happy with Walsh and Morrell in there. I saw enough of Joe Morrell in an Fa Cup game against Bolton a while back.

Looked classy.

5 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A team who finished higher than us are signing him yet a fair few OTIBers said he isn’t good enough and some even said his level is league one.  

Think the problem is we have lots of pretty similar central midfielders. Lots of busy bee like but not many with creativity or quality on the ball. Don't think we have ever really replaced Pack although think Walsh could be the man to. 

1 minute ago, Lew-T said:

I’d be happy with Walsh and Morrell in there. I saw enough of Joe Morrell in an Fa Cup game against Bolton a while back.

Looked classy.

Completely agree - Massengo and Nagy good options too (although Nagy can't be the sole holding mid imo doesn't suit his game)

8 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

If he stays fit can see him still being a decent holding midfielder at this level. 

We do have Morrell who I think can be a decent holding midfielder at this level as well but would have liked to keep Korey for his experience. 

For me, the fundamental issue is that being a holding midfielder isn't really Smith's natural game and I think he gets restricted when asked to do it by not being able to get all over the pitch as he did at his best for us. I think last season neither LJ nor Holden used him at his best. If we continue to play the formation we played at the end of the season, I think we need a genuine holding midfielder to glue it all together. For me, that is not something we had in Smith or have in Nagy, Massengo or Walsh. I don't know loads about Morrell but, even if he can do it, I think we need someone else who can too. 

On 09/08/2020 at 16:23, TheInsider said:

He wasn't, hence why he spent the majority of time with us in league 1 and the lower ends of the championship. There is a reason why top half sides have never been in for him, and that's because he isnt good enough.

Final nail in this nonsense - not Pompey or a lower league team, but Swansea, top six team in this division. He was, and is still good enough, by my logic, or even yours now. Happy days. 

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

For me, the fundamental issue is that being a holding midfielder isn't really Smith's natural game and I think he gets restricted when asked to do it by not being able to get all over the pitch as he did at his best for us. I think last season neither LJ nor Holden used him at his best. If we continue to play the formation we played at the end of the season, I think we need a genuine holding midfielder to glue it all together. For me, that is not something we had in Smith or have in Nagy, Massengo or Walsh. I don't know loads about Morrell but, even if he can do it, I think we need someone else who can too. 

His strength is work rate and ability to win the ball back. His passing ain't great and he isnt going to score many goals. For me that suggests he should be a holding midfielder. 

He looked best for us when he played alongside Pack or Wade Elliott who are both classy players on the ball who can do the things he can't so well.

3 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yeah I'm not against letting him go. No value to sell on, a number of young midfielders we have and he's injury prone. 

But some of the comments about him laughable imo. He's a good championship midfielder. Not quite as good as a handful of holding midfielders in this league. But still very good imo.

Korey, on his day, was magnificent. But tbf we've not really seen the best of him for some time. The consecutive injuries were really bad luck.

Just imagine, for example, if we sold Walsh but kept Smith- meltdown No692.

We want to see our younger guns coming through and with BCFC losing millions , with regret, someone had to go and the logical choice however disappointing to some was Korey. His age, form, recent injury record and end of contract made it an easy decision for DH.

30 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

A team who finished higher than us are signing him yet a fair few OTIBers said he isn’t good enough and some even said his level is league one.  

Not me. I said this would happen.

Getting rid of our best midfielder. ?‍♂️

Still, being a free agent I hope he gets a massive pay rise and a standing ovation at Ashton Gate when he returns. 

• Admin
18 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

He did well on loan last season and also has impressed for Wales. He certainly deserves a chance. 

15 minutes ago, Lew-T said:

Yep.

And he’s proved himself with his loan spells and at international level.

Let's put this into some perspective, playing a season at Lincoln and for Wales against a lot of sides that are not league 1 standard doesn't suddenly mean he is good enough for a Championship side

1 minute ago, Fordy62 said:

Not me. I said this would happen.

Getting rid of our best midfielder. ?‍♂️

Still, being a free agent I hope he gets a massive pay rise and a standing ovation at Ashton Gate when he returns. 

Its a strange one, when you consider how much of a positive influence he is, that he wouldn't have been on a fortune, and that its an area we lack experience - what was the logic in letting him go?

5 minutes ago, phantom said:

Let's put this into some perspective, playing a season at Lincoln and for Wales against a lot of sides that are not league 1 standard doesn't suddenly mean he is good enough for a Championship side

I'd back Croatia to do alright in league one.......

6 minutes ago, phantom said:

No it doesn't but how do you know unless you play him?

I'm going to say it now I think Morrell will perform better individually than Korey this season at Swansea.

We'll find out what happens I guess.

I think if I was Holden,  I would be contacting Korey again and offering a new deal. To buy a replacement will cost at least £1m in this suppressed market and there is a lot of uncertainty with the current group of midfield players whether they actually are good enough. 

36 minutes ago, phantom said:

You saw enough in a player in ONE game, brilliant

Not usually my approach either, but it took me 23 minutes to know Tammy Abraham was gonna be a player.  He did things in those 23 minutes that told me he was something special.

If I was a betting man, I’d back a Morrell to have a bigger impact this season than Walsh.

Just now, Sparko said:

I think if I was Holden,  I would be contacting Korey again and offering a new deal. To buy a replacement will cost at least £1m in this suppressed market and there is a lot of uncertainty with the current group of midfield players whether they actually are good enough. 

Holden has already decided Korey was surplus....either that, or he wanted a deal that Holden thought was too much.

31 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

His strength is work rate and ability to win the ball back. His passing ain't great and he isnt going to score many goals. For me that suggests he should be a holding midfielder. 

He looked best for us when he played alongside Pack or Wade Elliott who are both classy players on the ball who can do the things he can't so well.

Exactly this. 
Korey needs the right CM partner to be able to shine at what he does best. 
Grimes at Swansea is the perfect foil for him. 
Although they’ve had Fulton operating in that role so Korey will have stiff competition for a starting place. 

7 minutes ago, Harry said:

Exactly this. 
Korey needs the right CM partner to be able to shine at what he does best. 
Grimes at Swansea is the perfect foil for him. 
Although they’ve had Fulton operating in that role so Korey will have stiff competition for a starting place. 

Just now, Hampshire reds said:

another poor decision. good enough for Swansea but not  for us 

I’ll judge this decision when I’ve seen transfers in and out, and how our midfield perform.  Too early to say at the mo’.

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Not usually my approach either, but it took me 23 minutes to know Tammy Abraham was gonna be a player.  He did things in those 23 minutes that told me he was something special.

If I was a betting man, I’d back a Morrell to have a bigger impact this season than Walsh.

Holden has already decided Korey was surplus....either that, or he wanted a deal that Holden thought was too much.

True, more a case of wishful thinking on my part. He is going to be difficult to replace and whilst I think the Morrell/Nagy will do well longer term there is a lot of pressure on them to perform when they have either played 1 game in the Championship or not been fit for half a season. 

14 minutes ago, Sparko said:

If City offered him a short term deal (1 or 2 years) on a similar salary and he knew that he could get a nice fat signing on fee, plus probably another 5k a week, with a 3 year deal (guessing there), with another club then there really is only one outcome.

Great move for him and the best of luck to him.

Archived