IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

Really pleased for Korey on a professional level & a family level. Won’t have to move & can now get his little lad into a school. Been a really good player for City, even with the injuries & a top human being ( did I catch that from Ashton? ). He found the time during lockdown to send my son a video message on his birthday. I’ve now just got to break the news to Elliott that Korey, who is another one of his favourite players, has left. Good luck Korey. COYR 

A couple of months ago there were posts all over the place confirming that he’d lost it, was part of our failing midfield, wasn’t the same after injury blah blah blah.

Two months later we’ve released him and everyone thinks we’ve lost Pirlo.

Think the truth is somewhere in between.

4 minutes ago, Redrascal2 said:

All the best Korey. Should have offered him a new contract.

Yeah.

And got rid of 23 year olds Morrell and Walsh.

Bloke is at the end of his career and got a very decent move which could set him up so best of luck to him - he needed the move and we need to make room for those coming through.

It was time he moved IMO. Swansea im sure will be gambling on him regaining the form he showed for us a couple of seasons back - no guarantee he will ever get back to that level but its a free transfer for them and a risk they have probably calculated is worth it.

49 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

People saying he won’t have to move, but to and from Swansea is a 3 hour round trip? Imagine doing that every day, plus training 5-6 hours. 

They don’t train every day, and certainly not for 5-6 hours.

can probably afford a driver at £120 a day for 8 hrs.

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

I think Holden will continue with 3 central midfielders. My biggest worry is he will continue with Weimann in centre mid. Would make lot more sense to have midfield 3 of Morrell/Massengo (ball winner), Walsh/Nagy (deep lying play maker) and Pato/Palmer (playmaker). Think the balance would be a lot better than what we saw post lockdown. 

I’m amazed this hasn’t been picked up on a bit more to be honest ( unless I’ve missed it?). But that is definitely something I didn’t particularly like in Deans 5 games in charge.   But hope he does stick with the 3, just got to get the right balance as you say. COYR 

3 hours ago, MATT BCFC said:

I think Holden will continue with 3 central midfielders. My biggest worry is he will continue with Weimann in centre mid. Would make lot more sense to have midfield 3 of Morrell/Massengo (ball winner), Walsh/Nagy (deep lying play maker) and Pato/Palmer (playmaker). Think the balance would be a lot better than what we saw post lockdown. 

My worry is if he doesn’t rip it up and start again.

Any combination of that lot would be physically overwhelmed by the powerful midfield units that abound in the Championship.

1 hour ago, BCFC81 said:

Not sure how he was not worth a deal here, but then goes and signs for a club who finished in the playoff place?

Not good enough for a 12th placed team, I hope we have something lined up to come in as we are very very lightweight in midfield!

I hope we are not relying on Morrell and Walsh off of one season in League One.

We will all have to guess won’t we?

Most (big generalisation) players raise their wages by moving club, not by signing new deals.  Signing on fee etc, etc.

I genuinely think he will have been offered more by Swansea than here, plus two years.  I suspect he was holding on, thinking new manager might see it worth giving 2 years, but between either Ashton and / or Holden they didn’t.  I’m pretty sure (for reasons I’ve posted elsewhere) that Korey will be one of the lowest paid of the senior players.  This was his chance to get his final decent contract.

It will be interesting to see how much game time he gets with Grimes, Fulton and Byers in either of the two CM positions, and how he fits in.

I don’t think it’s as simple as saying “how can we not offer a contract when a team 6 places above us can”.

1 hour ago, Fordy62 said:

Otib poll?

Nah, OTB know eff all ??? yeah, ok, end of season OTIB poll.  Remember OTIBers, Fordy is a right knob....VOTE MORRELL. ???

57 minutes ago, Red white and red said:

People saying he won’t have to move, but to and from Swansea is a 3 hour round trip? Imagine doing that every day, plus training 5-6 hours. 

Lodging at Litts’ place in the Mumbles according to Litts.

8 minutes ago, Simon79 said:

I’m amazed this hasn’t been picked up on a bit more to be honest ( unless I’ve missed it?). But that is definitely something I didn’t particularly like in Deans 5 games in charge.   But hope he does stick with the 3, just got to get the right balance as you say. COYR 

I think that was temporary.  I genuinely think Weimann will be competing for the striker slot(s).

Great move for him. My theory is that we didn’t offer him terms that he’d want at this stage of his career with a family to support.

It’s probably in Holden’s remit to play young players - especially academy guys like Morrell.

If Smith is requesting (say) 10k per week but we know he’d only start 20% of games (disregarding injuries) maybe that was the main issue. We clearly need to strengthen and it seems money will be tight - all about priorities.

1 hour ago, Red white and red said:

I used to know a guy who used to commute from Swansea to Bristol everyday working shift work. He wasn’t even on that great money. I’m sure Korey could easily drive to training in Swansea. Doesn’t Weimann commute from Solihull? 

Archived