IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

Another baffling decision from the powers that be for me.

The fact he has been snapped up by division rivals shows Korey still has a lot to offer. His experience and leadership alone should of been enough for another year, especially with a new coaching setup, We will miss him next year. Massive loss with him and brownhill going, but plenty of new opportunities lay ahead for morrell and Walsh ??

4 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Sat here today with no more ins and outs....I’d be going Morrell, Nagy, Paterson.  

Ooh Dave, that's a tricky one. 

I want Walsh, Morrell and Nagy away from home but I might allow one of Paterson, Szmodics or Palmer for home games.

But I want a big unit in there of course and plenty of minutes for Massengo.

32 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Spot on - Nagy, Massengo, Morrell, Walsh - none of them are seasoned campaigners in the chaotic championship - it was somewhat reassuring to see Korey patrolling in there ... I didn’t want him to go ...

Smith, the player you realise you miss when he’s not playing.  Having said that if we don’t recruit the missing link in midfield I might question why we didn’t keep him.  Playing a game of patience at this point.

12 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

Yeah.

And got rid of 23 year olds Morrell and Walsh.

Bloke is at the end of his career and got a very decent move which could set him up so best of luck to him - he needed the move and we need to make room for those coming through.

End of his career? He’s 29 ffs probably still got another 3/4 years at champ level!! 

We’ll see KS have some good games for Swansea for sure perhaps even against us and good luck to him, inevitably such performances will prompt more “should have kept him” posts on here but we simply have to get the young guns, Szmodics, HNM, Morrell, Walsh along with KP and Nagy contributing in our engine room and this cannot be achieved getting sentimental over older players.

53 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s weird how people’s mentality has shifted isn’t it. I remember when 30 year old Lee Trundle became our record signing in 2007.

Time and time again I see fans saying get Barry Bannan etc, he’s 30? So for that reason should we not sign him, because we have morrell and Walsh? 

1 hour ago, Floatn Over said:

We’ll see KS have some good games for Swansea for sure perhaps even against us and good luck to him, inevitably such performances will prompt more “should have kept him” posts on here but we simply have to get the young guns, Szmodics, HNM, Morrell, Walsh along with KP and Nagy contributing in our engine room and this cannot be achieved getting sentimental over older players.

1 hour ago, Gratz260689 said:

Time and time again I see fans saying get Barry Bannan etc, he’s 30? So for that reason should we not sign him, because we have morrell and Walsh? 

Huge fan of Korey, but we have to move on. To make room to play the academy players for sure, Nagy too has had one season in a new country so I wouldn’t be writing him off yet, but also financially we have to do some trimming to the squad. None of us know what the finances will look like at the end of this season. 

4 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

End of his career? He’s 29 ffs probably still got another 3/4 years at champ level!! 

3 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

4 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

It’s weird how people’s mentality has shifted isn’t it. I remember when 30 year old Lee Trundle became our record signing in 2007.

Not everybody though ... Arsenal sign a 32 year old on a 3 year contract in 2020.

3 hours ago, Gratz260689 said:

If the player isn’t hugely athletic and their game is their intelligence on the ball and skill - ie Bannan - it doesn’t really matter.

Look at Hernandez at Leeds and David Silva at Man City.

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

For anyone who doesn’t appreciate Smith - the player, here’s a fantastic view from Kevin @ Swans Analytics, who works for Mrkt Insights.  Really informative thread.

Yes; that was the dynamic Korey Smith of old. I just think that injuries have started to catch up with him.

Interesting that that Swansea were able to offer a better deal than Cardiff though.

2 hours ago, Swede said:

Yes; that was the dynamic Korey Smith of old. I just think that injuries have started to catch up with him.

Interesting that that Swansea were able to offer a better deal than Cardiff though.

And therefore likely to be significantly more than us!  Both clubs with parachute payments.  Good luck Agent Smith.

10 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Pedant alert !

We paid £1.2M to Gillingham for Ade Akinbiyi in 1998. Trundle was never our record signing.

Well done and good luck to Korey...makes a change to go to Swansea rather than Bardiff.  Hope he has a brilliant season, apart from the two games against us.  If in the team, he should get a superb reception when they come to Ashton Gate?  If there's a crowd of course?

10 hours ago, Floatn Over said:

Good luck to Korey he's joined a good footballing side hopefully City can be that too 

We would have played him in the single "6" role under Holden, he lacks mobility for that role and like Massengo did, and Morrell would have, that's a doomed position if you can't really get about the pitch. He's not an "8" either.

He is a good player, but he didn't fit what we wanted to do.

I watched him for Swansea at the weekend and he's comfortable in a position alongside someone else and not having to sprint about the pitch either forwards or into fullback areas.

If someone has a big injury history you can't base a system around them. Oh **** we did that with Mawson, nvm.

1 minute ago, bris red said:

Korey’s time was up here IMO. As others have said he didn’t suit the way we are trying  to play. Williams was the ready made replacement - younger and by all accounts a better footballer we have just been painfully unlucky with his injury.

How are we trying to play? I have no idea having watched circa 20 games this season. 

Archived