IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Red said:

Local papers full of next weekends cup match gloating we have to play the Cup game even if we have no first team or reserves fit, but can find 14 kids. Hope Pompey travelled to Accrington before their game was postponed. 

Yeah I read that. It did sound like a gloat. One paper even called us Bristol Rovers. :laugh:. I hope the kids on the bench get the game time they deserve!

15 minutes ago, dave36 said:

What a backup player we could have still had - instrumental in Swans win today, easily offering what our midfield lacks - only sticking point is that our attack is no better than it was in the last 2 seasons -Ashton out!

Agreed the William's signing is a joke and the money wasted on punts from the lower league is dubious as are others like Palmer.

Ashton out

1 hour ago, Simon79 said:

Believe he’s playing further forward for Swansea than he did for us. Which I believe is where he started for Norwich, almost a number 10 if you like. Good player at this level & currently better than what we kept imo. Really top bloke. COYR 

In fairness it was mainly last season he played DM....in previous years Pack played as the deeper player and Smith pressed everything in front of him.

He has played a little further forward for Swansea....but until recently there’s been quite a bit of criticism of Smith / Grimes / Fulton 3-man midfield as fans have now started to get behind results and attrition over flowing football.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was amazed in some of those final games how little praise Korey was getting. I'm sure he got a bit of course as some rate him. But I thought he was outstanding in some of those games. Like a one man midfield at times. 

But even though I rate him very highly, I was comfortable letting him go. If Walsh and Williams were fit, along with Weimann and Paterson then we'd probably be very strong with Nagy, Bakinson both having good seasons and O'Dowda too before injury. 

We have to surely look at those injuries as being a big problem! We'd be so much better if even 2 or 3 of those were available. Oh and Brunt too though he hasn't looked great so far.

Agreed - had just two of Walsh, Williams, AW, TB, Pato and/or Nagy been consistently fit over the past few months, KS will have been long forgotten by now.

11 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I was amazed in some of those final games how little praise Korey was getting. I'm sure he got a bit of course as some rate him. But I thought he was outstanding in some of those games. Like a one man midfield at times. 

But even though I rate him very highly, I was comfortable letting him go. If Walsh and Williams were fit, along with Weimann and Paterson then we'd probably be very strong with Nagy, Bakinson both having good seasons and O'Dowda too before injury. 

We have to surely look at those injuries as being a big problem! We'd be so much better if even 2 or 3 of those were available. Oh and Brunt too though he hasn't looked great so far.

Got that spot on Jon.

29 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

In fairness it was mainly last season he played DM....in previous years Pack played as the deeper player and Smith pressed everything in front of him.

He has played a little further forward for Swansea....but until recently there’s been quite a bit of criticism of Smith / Grimes / Fulton 3-man midfield as fans have now started to get behind results and attrition over flowing football.

Have to say, hats off to Steve Cooper. 
As you say Dave, he never really played as a ‘true’ DM here, he was more of an ‘engine room’ type. But he was rarely in the opposition box, assisting, scoring, shooting. He probably broke into the box about 5 times in 5 years with us (Man U obvs being one ?). 
Cooper has been playing him much higher. He’s still doing the hard yards and being that midfield menace, but he’s also being given an ‘attacking’ role, something we never really used him for here. He’s getting in the box, getting crosses in, getting shots off. It’s a completely different role to how we always used him.  

Re the whole loss of Korey. I was a bit meh. Enjoyed his time here but it ‘seemed’ like the right time to part company. I hated the way it was done, and felt it showed zero respect to a great club servant. 
However, if I’d have known that the plan was to also get rid of Morrell and to replace them with Brunt, I’d have preferred to keep Korey. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Have to say, hats off to Steve Cooper. 
As you say Dave, he never really played as a ‘true’ DM here, he was more of an ‘engine room’ type. But he was rarely in the opposition box, assisting, scoring, shooting. He probably broke into the box about 5 times in 5 years with us (Man U obvs being one ?). 
Cooper has been playing him much higher. He’s still doing the hard yards and being that midfield menace, but he’s also being given an ‘attacking’ role, something we never really used him for here. He’s getting in the box, getting crosses in, getting shots off. It’s a completely different role to how we always used him.  

Re the whole loss of Korey. I was a bit meh. Enjoyed his time here but it ‘seemed’ like the right time to part company. I hated the way it was done, and felt it showed zero respect to a great club servant. 
However, if I’d have known that the plan was to also get rid of Morrell and to replace them with Brunt, I’d have preferred to keep Korey. 

The funny thing is, on the occasions he did get forward he looked creative.  Even in that Man Utd game he should’ve done better in the first half when he delayed a fraction and got tackled.

I still remember LJ’s first game for 3 things:

C041DCD7-F57E-4222-88D0-9FCB6C3B5973.thumb.jpeg.0654e7c3ebd36c0ccc789fdc13944464.jpeg

- Flint’s two goals from Freeman corners

- Kodjia playing up top on his own and dragging Christophe Berra and Tommy Smith all over the place, allowing our midfield to get forward, leading to...

- Korey Smith having 3 or 4 shots (unheard of!), Bialkowski pulling off one worldie 

And of course there was the goals against Cheltenham too.

...and one more thing...just shows England age group coaches can do a job at club level. ?

21 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

Seems like those of us who thought we were mad to let him go were spot on. 

Nope, 22 starts out of 92 in his last 2 injury plagued seasons at AG says the club made absolutely the right decision afaic.

Just be happy for a popular ex-player that he's having an unusually injury free season so far - the only regret should be that his replacements at City could hardly have had worse fortune.

4 hours ago, nickolas said:

The first was nothing more than a 3 yard pass and an amazing curled effort. Hard to call it an assist. 
the 2nd however, wow what a cross. 
But hes playing most weeks and proving us massively wrong to let him go!

Hindsight yes, but a poor move by the club ( although we couldnt have known the injuries we were going to get!). 

Indeed, and nor could we have known that KS would be relatively injury-free this season.

9 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Nope, 22 starts out of 92 in his last 2 injury plagued seasons at AG says the club made absolutely the right decision afaic.

Just be happy for a popular ex-player that he's having an unusually injury free season so far - the only regret should be that his replacements at City could hardly have had worse fortune.

Or maybe our physios suck?

2 hours ago, fatchers said:

I don't think it's any coincidence that Korey looks fitter away from our "fitness conditioners " . There should be a real look at the amount of injuries ,especially long term, we've had since we took on the ex Arsenal connection. 

The ex-Arsenal man is not the conditioning person.

22 minutes ago, the1stknowle said:

Genuine question - if all these people couldn't see it, then how do you know it is obvious?

Whether it was obvious or not is a pointless debate, it was the wrong decision, and clearly so.  I was surprised and disappointed at the time, firstly by how terribly it was handled, and secondly that he was released on footballing reasons. That logic has now been proven to be wrong. 

people bringing up injury stats, again completely missing the point, he is fit and an ever present this season (or close to).

Said all along should not have got rid of him.williams signing is a joke,Walsh is a joke played all last season not this.injurys are crippling this club.feel sorry for Holden as all the players missing is not his fault.fair play to Smith he could be playing in the prem next year along with all the others we have got rid of over the last few seasons.now who can we blame for that.??

11 minutes ago, redsocks said:

Said all along should not have got rid of him.williams signing is a joke,Walsh is a joke played all last season not this.injurys are crippling this club.feel sorry for Holden as all the players missing is not his fault.fair play to Smith he could be playing in the prem next year along with all the others we have got rid of over the last few seasons.now who can we blame for that.??

I’m sure you’ll think of someone.  After all, football is all about blame, isn’t it?

1 minute ago, Clutton Caveman said:

I watched the Swansea v Watford game yesterday

Can only say the decision to let Corey go is right up their with the Luke Ayling decision.

Corey would walk into our team at the moment

Maybe, but he couldn't limp into our team for most of the last 2 seasons, hence the decision to let him go was the correct one imv.

Archived