IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

19 minutes ago, Sturny said:

Could the case that KS is being coached better at Swansea, if he was under us we could've just had a repeat of the 19/20 or even 18/19 season with him. 

I say the same about Ayling leaving. Leeds did wonders for him and got him playing right. 

Ayling wasn't doing much wrong for us and hasn't changed much at Leeds - in my opinion. We sold him because he suited 352 but not 442, didn't we?

Just now, Leveller said:

Ayling wasn't doing much wrong for us and hasn't changed much at Leeds - in my opinion. We sold him because he suited 352 but not 442, didn't we?

Yeah I too thought he didn't do much wrong for us, there were quotes from LJ about a weak right side though? Fair enough, I think Leeds did wonders for him and he suited their play much better. I know some Leeds fans that couldn't believe what kind of player we gave away. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

Yeah I too thought he didn't do much wrong for us, there were quotes from LJ about a weak right side though? Fair enough, I think Leeds did wonders for him and he suited their play much better. I know some Leeds fans that couldn't believe what kind of player we gave away. 

Always seemed like a massive mistake to let him go so cheaply.

Just now, Leveller said:

Always seemed like a massive mistake to let him go so cheaply.

100% agree. Ayling knew we weren't going to play him every week, he wasn't in our plans. Could've been why he was so cheap. I think we weren't too bothered about him leaving, so when Leeds came knocking and offering first team football all week he was very interested. 

2 hours ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Putting Korey Smith in the same bracket as the list of players above is no fair comparison. Also, not sure "very few" complained - pretty sure many on here were vocal, and definitely the group I go to games with were surprised. 

Agree that hindsight is a wonderful thing, but I dont subscribe to the idea that this was a sensible move at the time either. 

I think there was enough logic to understand why he wasn’t offered a new contract...these aren’t necessarily my view(s), just possible thoughts that the club considered:

• had spent a large portion of the previous two seasons injured
  • his age (not a huge factor for me)
  • although he wasn’t offered anything, he / his agent were discussing a figure too high to warrant making a formal offer, e.g. were miles apart, Swansea already had a superior offer on the table
  • signing Williams in the melting pot
  • Walsh returning from Coventry
  • Massengo and Nagy already here and considerably younger, plus Bakinson
  • etc

in terms of staying:

• club legend, experience, all the other bits that go with it
  • was playing pretty well at end of season
  • probably not expensive to retain (contradicts my other bullet - but we don’t know the numbers involved) against rest of squad....still earning what he earned in 2016!
  • Could cover multiple positions
  • many views that you don’t realise how good Korey is until he’s not playing 
  • etc

So I think it’s pretty easier to argue either way, not obvious either way really.

1 hour ago, Leveller said:

I’m pretty sure we sold him because of a combination of Cheltenham and LJ not rating him (enough), because he brought back Adam Matthews on loan for the season and told Ayling he’d have to share RB minutes. Whatever the view, selling him to a big club like Leeds for a fee (£700k?) was too low.

I saw him being comfortable at RB (in a 4), RCB (in a 3).  As a CB by trade as a youth, I’m sure he’d be comfortable as a CB in a 4, just as his ball playing ability would make him comfortable at RWB too.

We will never know the full reason why, but I thought he was a top, top player for us, and was gutted when he left.  Done great at Leeds.

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think the club made the right decision and so do many others on this thread.

Korey has done unexpectedly well fitness wise this season but that was not predictable going on the last 2 seasons and we don't know how long it will last.

What the 'recruitment team' would have been accountable for imo. is giving another contract, mostly out of sentiment, to an aging and injury prone player whose availability over the last 2 seasons did not merit one.

We moved on with Williams being signed as his replacement and obviously couldn't foresee his problems.

Shedding a popular long serving player like Korey is always going to be a wrench for club and fans alike but these decisions have to be made on all the information available at the time, and that means it was the correct one imo.

When SL warned us not get too attached to players this was exactly the sort of scenario he was talking about.

Whilst I suspect SL was referring more to young academy players such as Joe Bryant, Bobby Reid, Lloyd Kelly, rather than 'popular, long serving players, e.g. Korey, Flint or even class players, e.g. Webster, I do share and agree with the gist of your post.

Never replaced, he was the engine room of the team when fit. Was never fit in his last 2 seasons yet moves to Swansea and no fitness problems, surprise surprise.

On a similar note, Szmodics was also let go at the same time, has scored 16 goals from midfield for Peterborough this season. 16 goals! Yes in League 1 but will be interesting to see how he does in the Championship next season.  I guess we thought Nagy Williams and Walsh were the better options.

1 hour ago, And Its Smith said:

75% of OTIB wrote him off but Korey is in the play offs having featured in 35/46 games this season. 

457955D1-1749-41C1-82F3-9CFABBD28C4B.png

By any chance do you rate Korey?? as discussed previously the 75% as you say who wrote him off, of which the majority came at it with a perfectly balanced view to your obsessive one. 

We miss his drive and leadership for sure. We have missed this more than anything else as our midfield is abysmal.

After his last 2 seasons with us it would of been the right decision had we replaced him, however we know we didn’t hence why it’s open to debate. There does come a time when a club/player has to move on. Our problem in letting Korey & most of the double winning side go was our failure to replace any of them adequately. A lot of that side were leaders, as well as winners.

26 starts, 4 assists tell me that other than his impressive leadership and drive, we wouldn’t be any better off had he stayed. The problems go far deeper than that. Good luck to Korey of course.

2 minutes ago, Taylor10 said:

By any chance do you rate Korey?? as discussed previously the 75% as you say who wrote him off, of which the majority came at it with a perfectly balanced view to your obsessive one. 

We miss his drive and leadership for sure. We have missed this more than anything else as our midfield is abysmal.

After his last 2 seasons with us it would of been the right decision had we replaced him, however we know we didn’t hence why it’s open to debate. There does come a time when a club/player has to move on. Our problem in letting Korey & most of the double winning side go was our failure to replace any of them adequately. A lot of that side were leaders, as well as winners.

26 starts, 4 assists tell me that other than his impressive leadership and drive, we wouldn’t be any better off had he stayed. The problems go far deeper than that. Good luck to Korey of course.

If you are judging Korey on his assists then I think you’ve misjudged it really 

9 minutes ago, And Its Smith said:

If you are judging Korey on his assists then I think you’ve misjudged it really 

I’m not judging him on assists though? As I’ve said our problems go way deeper than drive and leadership in midfield, as well as the entire team and club to be honest. So other than his obvious leadership skills, what else stands out from his 26 starts so much that we miss? Genuine question.

As I’ve already eluded to....letting Korey go wasn’t the problem. He’s a great pro and deserves everything he gets but it’s a bit weird you want to keep revisiting this one whilst giving yourself a pat on the back in the process dismissing the other balanced opinions that went against yours last summer. We get you rate him and want to be able to say ‘I told you so’ but I’m just not seeing it.

9 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Looking back now Korey, Webster and Bobby should of been the must keep as these were the spine of the team. We should of built around these. Add Brownhill to that in all... 

We lost Korey and Brownhill within about 4 months, both leaders - exactly what we're missing now. Couldn't really have stopped Brownhill, I think Korey would have been offered a deal if LJ had been here but at the time he'd had a lot of injuries and on paper we had plenty of midfielders, at that stage we didn't know most of them would be injured for so long

Drive and Leadership. Everything we are missing all over the pitch. Massive close season in terms of recruitment and these are the characteristics we must have in abundance to ensure this shambles doesn’t happen again next season. Or we’ll be nailed on for relegation. 

38 minutes ago, Bodiesaffer said:

Looking back now Korey, Webster and Bobby should of been the must keep as these were the spine of the team. We should of built around these. Add Brownhill to that in all... 

3 of those 4 are playing in the premiership so how would we have kept hold of them.

Amazes me that people on this thread still can’t just say “yep it was a mistake”. Even now it’s as clear as day he would improve us, is a top character, and not a big wage people still say “right at the time”. Well it wasn’t right at the time, and it’s as wrong today as ever it was. The last 18 months actually feels like internal sabotage - crazy days.

Archived