IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

1 hour ago, fgrsimon said:

Never replaced, he was the engine room of the team when fit. Was never fit in his last 2 seasons yet moves to Swansea and no fitness problems, surprise surprise.

Amazing isn’t it? Two years under Andy Rolls and he barely kicks a ball in anger for us. He moves across the bridge and plays most of their games. The irony isn’t lost here: a lot of what we miss (leadership, self-motivation, pride, accountability, communication) Korey has is bucket loads. Mind you, had he remained here, I’d have put money on Dr Nick keeping him on the treatment table for another season. 

At the time i thought it was definately the right decision, the move to Swansea didnt make me question it either, as despite being in the play offs the season before, i dont think anybody expected them to repeat it, if anything thought they would be midtable to lower......how wrong i was, hindsight is a lovely thing. What seemed to make sense at the time, certainly does not now. But lets be honest, with our medical team this year, had he stayed, he would probs be out for 2 years with a double ACL on both knees! He was very lucky we didnt offer him a new deal.

Nothing wrong with decision to let Korey go, aged almost 30, after 2 injury plagued seasons.

The problem was not him leaving but that his replacement, Williams, has been injured all season - a situation as unforeseeable as Korey suddenly being fit enough to feature in 3 out of 4 games for Swansea.

29 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Amazes me that people on this thread still can’t just say “yep it was a mistake”. Even now it’s as clear as day he would improve us, is a top character, and not a big wage people still say “right at the time”. Well it wasn’t right at the time, and it’s as wrong today as ever it was. The last 18 months actually feels like internal sabotage - crazy days.

It wasn’t a mistake though was it, Korey had been painfully inconsistent for the best part of 2 years, granted he had his injuries but his career here had become stale and he needed a fresh challenge. It was best for both parties. What did royally **** me off was the way the club announced his departure but that is a different debate.

The real mistake was not adequately  replacing him but that once again lies at the door of the inept MA, we had a whole summer to recruit a replacement and we end up with injury prone Joe Williams. Once again its poor recruitment that we have to blame.

The good old K.Smith dilemma.

Lots of arguments “for” him, several “against” too.

As fans we have to base a lot of our views on what “we think others are thinking”.

So, we’ve little idea of the true conversations that took place, and we can all add a bit of spin to suit our argument.

FWIW, Korey signed a contract in 2016 (3 year deal), and LJ extended him with 6 months left whilst Korey was injured (possibly for the rest of the season) on the same terms.  LJ did it to stop him trying to rush back to earn a new contract and perhaps knackering himself.  Kudos to LJ there.  So, basically Korey was on the same wages in the summer as he was in summer 2016.  With rising wages, I suspect he was probably one of the lowest, if not the lowest paid senior pro on our books.

What would we have offered him at 29, coming off another injury suffered season?

What could Swansea offer, still getting PPs?  Stories that they offered twice what he was on here.  No idea how true.

So, questions about financial security for a bloke with a young family who’s not been able to reap the wages that his teammates have over the last few seasons.  He might well have not been offered anything here, but Swansea probably offered him a decent deal.

But another Ashton player allowed to leave OOC.  Last season, add M.Taylor, Wright, Maenpaa.  Letting players get into their final year, and so many over his time here, is serial incompetence.

Another angle on this....signing of Joe Williams.  Ignore his injuries this season....that was not part of the equation at the time.  You can see the logic of one in one out.

I could see both sides to the decision.  I quite fancied his versatility to play RB too, even RWB in a 352 as the go-to system early season.

So I don’t think it was 75% of people being wrong / wanting him to go, but more that a lot could see both sides of a decision that wasn’t black or white, and definitely not OTIB poster’s views of Korey the man and player.

When fit (which was the issue for most), KS was a mouthy leader who demanded effort from the other players. Watched him for Swansea a few times and he has looked bloody good for them. Williams was bought/has been injured forever so noone really knows what he is like v KS who I liked. When Williams was injured (long term), Ashton should have recruited a “leader in midfield” replacement, which never happened.

Just look at our midfield all season, been found lacking by most other teams we played.
Who do I blame? Ashton.

27 minutes ago, bris red said:

It wasn’t a mistake though was it, Korey had been painfully inconsistent for the best part of 2 years, granted he had his injuries but his career here had become stale and he needed a fresh challenge. It was best for both parties. What did royally **** me off was the way the club announced his departure but that is a different debate.

The real mistake was not adequately  replacing him but that once again lies at the door of the inept MA, we had a whole summer to recruit a replacement and we end up with injury prone Joe Williams. Once again its poor recruitment that we have to blame.

Yep - this is the exact opinion. Mind boggling. 

21 minutes ago, GasDestroyer said:

When fit (which was the issue for most), KS was a mouthy leader who demanded effort from the other players. Watched him for Swansea a few times and he has looked bloody good for them. Williams was bought/has been injured forever so noone really knows what he is like v KS who I liked. When Williams was injured (long term), Ashton should have recruited a “leader in midfield” replacement, which never happened.

Just look at our midfield all season, been found lacking by most other teams we played.
Who do I blame? Ashton.

The trouble is nobody knew how long Williams was going to be out for, I doubt anyone thought it would be the season at the time. At that point Brunt was also on the books so they probably thought we could get through until Williams was back.

The decision to let Smith go was correct based on what we knew then but obviously it hasn't panned out that way, in hindsight Smith getting a one year extension, signing Williams but not Brunt would have been the way to go but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

3 hours ago, fgrsimon said:

Never replaced, he was the engine room of the team when fit. Was never fit in his last 2 seasons yet moves to Swansea and no fitness problems, surprise surprise.

On a similar note, Szmodics was also let go at the same time, has scored 16 goals from midfield for Peterborough this season. 16 goals! Yes in League 1 but will be interesting to see how he does in the Championship next season.  I guess we thought Nagy Williams and Walsh were the better options.

A friend who is a Peterborough fan can’t believe we let him to. They absolutely love him 

2 hours ago, Bodiesaffer said:

I think his injury problems wasn’t worth the risk of a new contract. We dropped a bollock on this one.

Who’s to say with our medical team he wouldn’t have been another casualty here?

lettinh him go and replacing him with Williams was a sound move. No one could have predicted that Williams would only play one game. 

good luck to Korey though, would love to see him in the Prem

3 hours ago, bris red said:

Is he? Or was he prior to joining us.

Don't think he was at any of Wigan, Bolton or Barnsley.

As it happens, @bris red I have just checked.

Barnsley- 33 starts, 1 sub appearance in 46 League games.

Bolton- 29 starts, 1 sub appearance in 42 League games- he joined on loan ahead of Matchday 5.

Wigan- 34 starts, 4 sub appearances in 46 League games.

96 starts out of a max of 134 and 6 sub appearances...far from injury prone! At least not before he came here...

Would have been younger at Barnsley being 2017/18, so you know, he might not have got picked every week- point is he is- or was- a pretty robust player...probably had a few suspensions thrown in too!

Archived