IGNORED

Korey Smith

Red Army 75

2 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Kalas.

Not for me, Dave. Got enough on his plate sorting his own game out, justifying the eye watering money we're paying him, without having to lead the team as a whole. Unfortunately he's beginning to strike me as someone who likes the life of a footballer rather more than just playing football as if his life depended on it. Recent injuries not withstanding. 

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Prediction:

Korey Smith will finish higher in the 20/21 Championship table than Bristol City. 

*I was right with Ayling & Freeman. 

I wouldn't be surprised by Korey going to Cardiff and they're an early tip for me to win the title, their form under Harris has been very good

32 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’d say the ‘at this time’ line is just a ‘regretfully we cant offer you anything’ angle. The fact that he was totally left out the squad for the last day, Taylor Moore’s comments on RobinsTV etc suggest it seemed pretty obvious where it was all headed. The club trying to keep it up wraps and then announce it a few days after announcing a manager to try and soften the blow a bit maybe

Pete - yes, Holden confirmed that Korey himself asked not to play for fear of injury and contract situation.

29 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Morton struggled to get into FGR team, so would be surprised. But apparently he did do well when he did play.

Bakinson an interesting one. Could he be a player that looks better with better players around him?

On loan he seemed to mainly be liked by the Plymouth fans, who mainly want him back. Some not so keen.

Interesting that someone said on twitter the other day said Plymouth loan for Bakinson is unlikely. Even though Lowe has said he wants him back.

I would have thought that is the perfect loan for him. A league higher, same team that he knows and knows he will be played. And also they play football the right way.

If what that person says is true, then that suggests to me he will be a part of our squad.

In any conversation re Korey Smith replacement, I’m staggered Joe Morrell not mentioned (or not mentioned enough).  Of all the midfielders we have, he is the one with the attribute set to play as the energetic ball winning / pressing CM, whether at the base or in a pair or in a three.

32 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The way the club is being run is amateurish and disgraceful 

The communication has been poor since Baker was sacked and knights put in charge

The way we sign as many players as we can hoping one comes good is a joke there's something about throwing shit at a wall hoping something sticks springs to mind,

The chase for a manager has been a joke

We a laughing stock

Its time we did something about it

And what exactly are you suggesting? Do you have enough equity in your house to refinance it and buy SL out ? I can probably get some on my Visa card to help out.

33 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

It's interesting that at 29 he should be at his peak but realistically he has always been a league 1 lower championship player in terms of quality and that is where we would expect him to end up. 

Wrong. So so wrong. Easily a top half player in this division, and that’s with the injuries he has had. Without, he would have gone further, top player who is so underrated- noticed more when he is out of the team. 

Korey has definitely gone then has he.

Thanks for the memories, the service- might be difficult to replace but then again has he hit the heights of old post long term injuries? Quite a young and relatively inexperienced at this level CM though next season- think they're all good players with differing attributes but the lack of experience and age could be an issue.

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Wrong. So so wrong. Easily a top half player in this division, and that’s with the injuries he has had. Without, he would have gone further, top player who is so underrated- noticed more when he is out of the team. 

Agree to disagree, the fact he was in talks with Portsmouth emphasises my point.....and he certainly wont be moving to a top end championship side.

47 minutes ago, petehinton said:

I’d say the ‘at this time’ line is just a ‘regretfully we cant offer you anything’ angle. The fact that he was totally left out the squad for the last day, Taylor Moore’s comments on RobinsTV etc suggest it seemed pretty obvious where it was all headed. The club trying to keep it up wraps and then announce it a few days after announcing a manager to try and soften the blow a bit maybe

Come on Pete, it was discussed in a thread on OTIB a few weeks ago with Pompey being named as a potential suitor. Nothing new that we didn't already know about.

23 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

I would save your money because it isnt going to happen. 

I think Cardiff is a good option for him. Wouldn’t start but come on for them last 20 mins or so. Wouldn’t have to move house - minimal family disruption. He isn’t currently on holiday with Pack and Flint who are no doubt trying to help.

Just no head tapping Korey

1 minute ago, TonyTonyTony said:

I think Cardiff is a good option for him. Wouldn’t start but come on for them last 20 mins or so. Wouldn’t have to move house - minimal family disruption. He isn’t currently on holiday with Pack and Flint who are no doubt trying to help.

Just no head tapping Korey

I think you are right in the sense he would get limited minutes, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who wants as much football as possible

Really torn on what I think of this decision. I think Korey is a great player but I don’t think we used him in the best way last season, even after LJ left.

He tended to be used as a de facto holding midfielder simply because we didn’t have anyone else really suited to that role whereas I far prefer him getting around the pitch a lot more. I think he performed admirably in terms of doing what was asked of him but I don’t think it got the best out of him.

If the formation for the last few games is how we want to play, I probably think it is in our interests to get a genuine holding midfielder in and Korey’s interests to move to a club that plays him in a more box to box or bustling role. But, it we could have found a way to use him at his best, I do think he would have been a very good player who I wish we were keeping. 

19 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

Agree to disagree, the fact he was in talks with Portsmouth emphasises my point.....and he certainly wont be moving to a top end championship side.

Doesn’t prove your point at all. You said he was never a top half champ player, which is nonsense. Who he talks to now and signs for will not change that either. 

14 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

Really torn on what I think of this decision. I think Korey is a great player but I don’t think we used him in the best way last season, even after LJ left.

He tended to be used as a de facto holding midfielder simply because we didn’t have anyone else really suited to that role whereas I far prefer him getting around the pitch a lot more. I think he performed admirably in terms of doing what was asked of him but I don’t think it got the best out of him.

If the formation for the last few games is how we want to play, I probably think it is in our interests to get a genuine holding midfielder in and Korey’s interests to move to a club that plays him in a more box to box or bustling role. But, it we could have found a way to use him at his best, I do think he would have been a very good player who I wish we were keeping. 

Agree, in 17/18 it was Pack who played as the deeper Midfielder, and Korey “ratted” around.  For a guy who’s end product was poor in the final third, the goals he did score were pretty awesome.

9 minutes ago, ciderwithtommy said:

Doesn’t prove your point at all. You said he was never a top half champ player, which is nonsense. Who he talks to now and signs for will not change that either. 

He wasn't, hence why he spent the majority of time with us in league 1 and the lower ends of the championship. There is a reason why top half sides have never been in for him, and that's because he isnt good enough.

Haven’t trawled through 12 pages of this thread but it’s shit that a club man like Korey’s had to come out and announce this himself.

Absolutely no reason the club couldn’t have communicated this first. Six years of stellar service deserved better. 

Last I heard Pompey were sniffing around him. That’d be a good fit for him, and I hope he does well wherever he ends up. It’s likely he’s leaving a sinking ship anyway. 

1 hour ago, BigTone said:

The point is they need to check the credibility of their sources. At the end of the day they have put Korey (especially) and the club into an embarrassing situation which is uncalled for. But yes we can agree to disagree.

If GMG had Korey's contact details (or Korey's agent, which I assume would be pretty accessable to the press) he could have easily fact checked this 'story' before it surfaced.

3 minutes ago, TheInsider said:

He wasn't, hence why he spent the majority of time with us in league 1 and the lower ends of the championship. There is a reason why top half sides have never been in for him, and that's because he isnt good enough.

So wrong, where have we finished last three seasons whilst he was our captain? 12th, 8th and 11th. So not only do facts prove it, but it’s clear to see to anyone who has watched him play how key he is to us. 

1 minute ago, ciderwithtommy said:

So wrong, where have we finished last three seasons whilst he was our captain? 12th, 8th and 11th. So not only do facts prove it, but it’s clear to see to anyone who has watched him play how key he is to us. 

Weirdly with Korey its not so clear to some. His work off the ball does go unnoticed. 

Archived