IGNORED

Stephen Lansdown sleepless nights are over.

Roadrunner

On a lighter note an interesting piece in Daily Mail Saturday, Hargreaves Lansdown have gained 188,000 new customers in the last year. In that year savers pile £7.7bn, profit before tax shoy up by 24% to £378.3m. The founders received dividends Peter Hargreaves £63.4m and Stephen Lansdown £18.6m.  

1 minute ago, Roadrunner said:

On a lighter note an interesting piece in Daily Mail Saturday, Hargreaves Lansdown have gained 188,000 new customers in the last year. In that year savers pile £7.7bn, profit before tax shoy up by 24% to £378.3m. The founders received dividends Peter Hargreaves £63.4m and Stephen Lansdown £18.6m.  

I doubt if that would be enough to cover the covid19 losses.

9 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

I doubt if that would be enough to cover the covid19 losses.

It's probably been a bad time for the club but £18.6 million. I think that would more than compensate for the loss of income on 5 home games the players are already on contract anyway I realise there are other costs but would hope they wouldn't add up to nearly £19 million in 5 months.

2 minutes ago, pillred said:

It's probably been a bad time for the club but £18.6 million. I think that would more than compensate for the loss of income on 5 home games the players are already on contract anyway I realise there are other costs but would hope they wouldn't add up to nearly £19 million in 5 months.

We don't really know where all this will end. Club finances ae based on projected turnover and that may be badly impacted over last season and next - with debts that have to be covered afterwards on top. Very hard to predict.

11 minutes ago, Bat Fastard said:

We don't really know where all this will end. Club finances ae based on projected turnover and that may be badly impacted over last season and next - with debts that have to be covered afterwards on top. Very hard to predict.

What we need now, regardless of who gets what job, is the club to treat the paying customers with a modicum of respect and give us some facts about what the hell has happened over the last five weeks when a number of other clubs at our level have sorted their business out in less than two weeks. No bland statement about Dean or whoever it is being the best man for the job.

Some (it will never be all whatever decision you make) fans might then understand why they are doing whatever the hell it is we are doing, why it has taken over double the time of our competitors and the meltdown might just dissipate.

22 minutes ago, pillred said:

Steve Lansdowns income from HL doesn’t equate to BCFC income from SL - a subtle point often overlooked. 

The status of Lansdowns' fortunes should only be talked about if they take a downward spiral. Yes, of course he's invested a lot of money over the years, but the club needs to be self sustainable. Some fans seem to think he can just chuck in £50m for transfers without any repercussions. It doesn't work that way. 

6 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

Steve Lansdowns income from HL doesn’t equate to BCFC income from SL - a subtle point often overlooked. 

OTIB rarely let's facts get in the way of an argument or criticism. 

1 hour ago, Numero Uno said:

What we need now, regardless of who gets what job, is the club to treat the paying customers with a modicum of respect and give us some facts about what the hell has happened over the last five weeks when a number of other clubs at our level have sorted their business out in less than two weeks. No bland statement about Dean or whoever it is being the best man for the job.

Some (it will never be all whatever decision you make) fans might then understand why they are doing whatever the hell it is we are doing, why it has taken over double the time of our competitors and the meltdown might just dissipate.

I would not be at all surprised if many of the discussions were covered by various confidentiality agreements.  They cannot give a blow by blow account of their discussions in case they compromise their own negotiations.  We just have to remain patient until it is all over and the we will only get the authorised version.

1 hour ago, Slack Bladder said:

In defence of SL. The difference between his dividend and that of Peter Hargreaves just goes to show how much of his fortune he has spent.

Obviously not all on City, but a sizable chunk I imagine.

I think it just shows that Hargreaves has a bigger share holding than Lansdown to be fair, rather than necessarily net worth.

SL has diversified into lots of other areas, and doesn't have as much to do with the day to day running if the firm any more (my nephew works for them). Hargreaves is still de facto head of the firm; and the biggest shareholder by some margin.

I don't think Lansdown ever has to worry about running out of money.

I realise that a lot of his fortune is "on paper", but £2bn is such a large number that if he could monetise all of it, he could spend £1000 every day for 2 million years before he needed to phone the bank for an o/d. 

11 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I realise that a lot of his fortune is "on paper", but £2bn is such a large number that if he could monetise all of it, he could spend £1000 every day for 2 million years before he needed to phone the bank for an o/d. 

Sometimes I think it's a shame that in pre-FFP times he wasnt more carefree with his spending to propel us up to the Prem. But then I think that would make us one those shitty clubs that buys success and I'm pleased he didn't.

Just now, mozo said:

Sometimes I think it's a shame that in pre-FFP times he wasnt more carefree with his spending to propel us up to the Prem. But then I think that would make us one those shitty clubs that buys success and I'm pleased he didn't.

Oh I dunno, I could live with the ignominy. :whistle:

I'm sure Man City and Chelsea fans don't miss their old Division Two days...

3 hours ago, Slack Bladder said:

In defence of SL. The difference between his dividend and that of Peter Hargreaves just goes to show how much of his fortune he has spent.

Peter H is a Yorkshireman, my mate used to do business with him, he adheres to the Yorkshire ' tha looks after tha brass'  or in Bristolese, theese money is theese best mate !!

13 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

SL only owns about 7% of HL now I believe. So presumably he has diversified into lots of other areas, apart from Bristol Sport.

I would imagine the general drop across the world's equity markets since Covid has cost him an amount that would dwarf this dividend payment. 

I would have thought so as only a few weeks ago he hadn't realised Covid would be a problem to the football club let alone himself!!!!

13 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Peter H is a Yorkshireman, my mate used to do business with him, he adheres to the Yorkshire ' tha looks after tha brass'  or in Bristolese, theese money is theese best mate !!

I wouldn't say that to his face. He's a Lancastrian!

44 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

Actually, if think you'll find that he could spend £1000 EVERY YEAR for 2 million years, not every day...

4 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

This is something that people can forget with FFP too not just our finances. Probably not well publicised tbh.

Say we or any Championship club lost between (after all the allowable costs) in excess of £15m but below £39m. I think that's a fair bet especially with Covid.

If that happens a club is obliged to submit the following two seasons Projected FFP losses. 

It's not just 2019/20 but I suspect it'll severely impact on all clubs future projections to the EFL. This could well combined with Covid be a factor. Lower loss limits, soft sanctions/guidance in short.

53 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

7 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Actually, if think you'll find that he could spend £1000 EVERY YEAR for 2 million years, not every day...

606d03e9f5a803c5bf872924d5cf7ed4.jpeg

Dianne’s checked Red-Robbos sums and thinks he’s about right.

10 minutes ago, Calculus said:

Oops. That is what I meant to write. 

Not a lot now perhaps, but imagine what a grand would buy you 1,700,000 years before humans existed!

He sold most of his HL shares to pay for the AG stadium (about £75m) so that's why his dividend payment is less than for Hargreaves so he's put a significant part of his fortune into this club.

Invested. The return of which will be greatly assisted with the Arena and the hotel but blown out of the water by Premier League status.

6 minutes ago, James54De said:

Most certainly he will never recoup most of what he’s spent on football. 

He could eventually, perhaps.

IF he decided if and when we got to PL and say it was soon to charge a hefty rent on among sat others Ashton Gate, Failand.

What about his land out at Ashton Vale- a football related investment of sorts.

If we do well in PL, the sale price can be pushed right up. What about AG, Failand and others- would he retain them and tap a rental stream or would he sell them at market value but either as part of the package or separate to. Some mix and match of the options?

Hell he could decide we are running at no loss moving forward, put no more cash in and whack a hefty rent on all the assets- so it would be breakeven inclusive of hefty rent.

Sell the club for £1- thereby freeing from financial obligations- and whack a hefty rent on assets, given the infrastructure at the disposal the club might well pay it- frees him of obligation but has income flowing the other way.

I am sure there are more imaginative and creative ways, many more- this is just a few off the top of my head!

Archived